Iverson interested in backing up Nash

Re: Iverson interested in backing up Nash

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Texas Lakers Fan

Postby purp n gold on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Really though, I do think washed up AI will be better than Blake. At least he'll hit an open jumper.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby eltoro on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:23 pm

purp n gold wrote:Really though, I do think washed up AI will be better than Blake. At least he'll hit an open jumper.

His outside jumper is the one part of his game that started to failing him since Detroit and onwards.
eltoro

Postby Scnottaken on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:42 pm

I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby purp n gold on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:43 pm

eltoro wrote:
purp n gold wrote:Really though, I do think washed up AI will be better than Blake. At least he'll hit an open jumper.

His outside jumper is the one part of his game that started to failing him since Detroit and onwards.

Sure, whatever. It still doesn't mean Blake can hit a consistent jump shot.
purp n gold

Postby karacha on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:46 pm

Guys, Iverson is done. Really. He could be decent in practice, maybe. Practice only. Not the game, you understand. Not the game. We're only talking about practice.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:20 am

karacha wrote:Guys, Iverson is done. Really. He could be decent in practice, maybe. Practice only. Not the game, you understand. Not the game. We're only talking about practice.

:man10:
purp n gold

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:21 am

I wouldn't be against it if we can't land a better backup, & can find a way to dump Blake.. AI would get burn in garbage time & be able to play himself back into shape as a bench warmer.. If he regains 50% of his old self he'll be better than any backup we have at either guard position.. Nash-AI-Kobe-G.Hill-Pau lineups running & gunning would be fun to watch..
lakersin4

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:11 am

He's been desperately trying to get back in the league for nearly a year 1/2, with no takers. Hell, last year the Hawks were kind enough to let him use their practice facilities, so they got a better look at him than anyone and they weren't even interested. He has nothing left in the tank. Also, I'm pretty sure this thread marks the most times the words "Iverson" and "pass" have been used in the same sentence.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:16 am

UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby eltoro on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:21 am

People, we don't need Iverson. He would be a bad influence on the team. He smokes marijuana for god sake. That's against the drug policy and could get the whole team in trouble.
eltoro

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:22 am

funny, youd think a guy with that talent would get even a vet min from the worse of teams? But guess what character matters to teams more than talent sometimes
khmrP

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:24 am

khmrP wrote:funny, youd think a guy with that talent would get even a vet min from the worse of teams? But guess what character matters to teams more than talent sometimes

I don't believe his character is the issue at this point, I believe it's simply a matter of AI having no game left. Whose minutes is he going to take? Drafted players who won't get a chance to develop?
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:42 am

AI is done.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:44 am

eltoro wrote:People, we don't need Iverson. He would be a bad influence on the team. He smokes marijuana for god sake. That's against the drug policy and could get the whole team in trouble.

:man10: :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:27 am

Doc Brown wrote:
eltoro wrote:People, we don't need Iverson. He would be a bad influence on the team. He smokes marijuana for god sake. That's against the drug policy and could get the whole team in trouble.

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:00 pm

eltoro, you've just swayed me. No to AI! :jam2:
purp n gold

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Well.....heavens to Betsy....he shouldn't be doing that........ :nono5: :nono5:
LTLakerFan

Postby Congo Cash on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10:
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby retro_nights on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 pm

OH MY GOD MARIJUANA!!

o_O

it wouldnt surprise me one bit if kobe smoked.

anyways...we need all the help we can get. the worse that can happen? we cut him.

gilbert arenas last year signed with the grizzlies and turned out to be a decent 3 pt shooter. we could have used that. im not saying he was great. but if its between having a veteran who could help us out vs random dudes on the end of the bench who wont ever play...give me the veteran.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby jayy_zee on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:49 am

retro_nights wrote:OH MY GOD MARIJUANA!!

o_O

it wouldnt surprise me one bit if kobe smoked.

anyways...we need all the help we can get. the worse that can happen? we cut him.

gilbert arenas last year signed with the grizzlies and turned out to be a decent 3 pt shooter. we could have used that. im not saying he was great. but if its between having a veteran who could help us out vs random dudes on the end of the bench who wont ever play...give me the veteran.

well said. I can't believe some if not most of you are against signing ai or even trying him out. We aren't talking about a multi-year deal here. He smokes pot??? So what! Last time I checked the nba including the Lakers are all adults, and iverson isn't the one person in the world that smokes it. I'm sure half the league smokes already including some Lakers. One thing alot of you are forgetting is A.I. is a born scorer, i'd say Top 5 scorer all-time, you'd pass that up off the bench for.........Morris??? lol its a good thing most of you aren't NBA scouts or gms
jayy_zee

Postby kenzo on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:08 am

^ and that is why ALL the GM's are lining up to give Allen a chance :man10: Dude is out of the game for a reason.
kenzo

Postby FadeawayProdigy on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:23 am

I still remember AI's Game 1 Finals performance over us. It's still fresh in my memory on how he stepped over Lue after hitting a tough shot. Preventing us to have the perfect playoff run. Hate him all you want but one thing I can say about AI back in his prime, he gave it all every single night, put his body on the line. He is probably one of the few players who took a severe beating every single night to guys a foot taller than him. Probably the reason he didn't have a long successful career like Kobe with all the punishment he is taking plus his lack of work ethic. We got to give him the respect to what he contributed to the game of basketball. He is not a good role model outside the court but man he has heart and wasn't afraid to be himself. I must admit I was one of the kids who was imitating his crossovers in the ball park growing up.

With that being said I don't want him on this team. He would ruin our chemistry on and off the court.
AI is both the Anti-Steve Nash in terms of point guard playing style and also the Anti-Kobe in terms of attitude towards practice.
FadeawayProdigy

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:39 am

My problem with AI is he refuses to take a lesser role when he is already 37, and there is a reason he has been out of the league for 2 years... No one wants him period...

Arenas was also terrible last season, shooting 3's @ 33% is nothing special...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Samene on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:42 am

When you go to the forums of other teams and read what they say about the Lakers, you recognize immediately who is paying attention and who cannot be bothered to actually know what they're talking about.

The worst are the one-headline-haters. On other boards they call Kobe a rapist and dismiss him with no insight at all. They think Bynum will perform poorly because of his parking tickets.

After that you get the guys who parrot a once widely held but false view. They think Kobe never passes and Bynum is Greg Oden. If you don't really follow basketball you say stuff like this and don't realize that you've outted yourself as a nitwit.

Then you get guys who think they know a bunch of truths like "Jump shooting teams never win rings" or "the game has changed and jump shooting is the way to win" (btw, you will find followers of both these examples here, sometimes in the same thread). They think "defense wins championships" can be taken literally to mean that offense doesn't matter. They don't really know anything, they just remember the things that people have said without being lambasted for it. Enough people say it without reprisal and they add it to their 'wisdom' without really thinking about it.

I bring this up because you can see all these echelons of nitwithood in this AI thread. He smokes marijuana, he is a hoodrat, he doesn't practice... like children trying to find an insult for their enemy and reaching for whatever shallow reference they've ever heard about them. It's what you say when you don't know enough to speak.

Seen an AI post-game interview? Thoughtful, mature statements that make most of his peers look retarded by comparison. He's had things backfire but so have you and so has almost everyone in the NBA.

Iverson is not a thug nor a junkie nor a dolt. He is old and his skills aren't making NBA teams care and the odds of him being the 37 year old comeback story are slim, but the people talking about him like he's a cartoon villain make me wonder if that time you were mugged was really the Nitwit Society knocking you out so they can crimp a tracking device onto your ear.

Flame away. It'll be like a roll call.
Samene

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard