Kobe the Closer

Re: Kobe the Closer

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:08 am

Kobe, in generally, has not shot the ball well in a really long time. He hasn't made at least half his shots since January 20th, I'm not sure what his TS% has been during that span but it's probably really bad as well. Additionally, he's averaging 1 APG over the last three games, but much of that is due to teammates sucking even worse than usual.

He got off to a great start, but now it looks like fatigue is catching up to him. I don't think it has much to do with Potatohead wanting to reduce his scoring because Kobe still has explosive quarters, but towards the end of games he just starts going cold and ends up going 1-8 or something way too often. He was dead on track to do that today before he made his final two baskets.

I don't expect any of that to change until the Lakers bring in some firepower. The current supporting cast is just so abysmal I'm expecting KGB to break down any day now.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:59 am

^^^^ it's going to get worse ... we don't have a two days rest between games after the All Star weekend until the end of the regular season
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:35 am

By the way he traveled on his GW ... took 3 steps before putting the ball on the floor , these things are never called in the NBA though :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby Jacks3 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:54 am

53.2% TS right now. :bang:
Jacks3

Postby JGC on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 am

John3:16 wrote:
JGC wrote:So, miss 5 then make 2 down the stretch = a closer? Hmmm.... not sure about that.

You'd probably enjoy a player like LeBron more. Great for 3 quarters and then is literally afraid to touch the ball in the 4th quarter, let alone shoot it. Fun and games until the Finals. have fun with that.

Lebron? That makes no sense unless you were just being bitter which sounds like it may be the case.

If we were playing the Heat and Lebron did what Kobe did down the stretch I'm pretty sure you wouldn't say that Lebron had closed out the game nicely. Would you? I'm certain you'd be annoyed by the "Lebron hits the game-winner with 4 seconds left to lift Heat over Lakers" articles by saying things like "BSPN" and talking about how poorly he had closed it if you look at the overall body of work in that game during the closing moments.

FWIW, I did say that it was nice to see that Kobe can still hit game winners since it had been what like 2 seasons almost since he had had one? I'm simply saying that to miss 5, put your team in a hole when you had the lead, and then make 2 down the stretch isn't what a closer is supposed to do and thus, I wouldn't use THAT game as an example that Kobe is still "the closer".

I used a baseball analogy before ... and said Kobe should get credited with the win, but also a blown save which is not the mark of a closer.

The bottom line is that if you're going to show someone video of the last several minutes of a close game, to show them an example of why Kobe is a closer, my guess is that you're not going to use this game as evidence probably ever.
JGC

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:58 am

:man10:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby 24fanyes on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:16 am

that was such a sweet J he hit for the GW... CLASSIC KOBE :jam2:
24fanyes

Postby worldjunction on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:48 pm

I know this has nothing to do with closing, but is this Kobe's worse shooting stretch ever?
worldjunction

Postby worldjunction on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:49 pm

It's really disappointing to watch...
worldjunction

Postby BigDan24 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:59 pm

Dagger to my heart...
BigDan24

Postby worldjunction on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Thank god!!!

He shot well because he didn't settle. I hope he stays aggressive and gets into the seams where I believe he is the best shooter ever.
worldjunction

Postby worldjunction on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm

why does kobe always play like crap against dallas? really... it is like he forgets who he is and plays like a timid old man. so frustrating. :bang:
worldjunction

Postby basketboy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

saw this bump coming a mile away
all i know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything.
basketboy

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 pm

worldjunction wrote:why does kobe always play like crap against dallas? really... it is like he forgets who he is and plays like a timid old man. so frustrating. :bang:

Marion and the Dallas defense has him by the balls. If we played this team in the playoffs again we wouldn't stand a chance.

His jumpers are always contested and he's too slow to get by Marion so there's literally nothing he can do.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby worldjunction on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 pm

I agree and disagree. He did have a number of one on one mid range jumpers and they were absolute BRICKS! He just has no confidence. No decisiveness.
worldjunction

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:29 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
worldjunction wrote:why does kobe always play like crap against dallas? really... it is like he forgets who he is and plays like a timid old man. so frustrating. :bang:

Marion and the Dallas defense has him by the balls. If we played this team in the playoffs again we wouldn't stand a chance.

His jumpers are always contested and he's too slow to get by Marion so there's literally nothing he can do.

Marion does play him extremely well, but we need to get him the ball in his spots.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Jacks3 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Just goes to show you how far he's declined. Dude use to DESTROY Marion and the Mavs. At this point I pretty much expect him to struggle whenever he plays long, lanky athletic guys.
Jacks3

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Lol wut? We completely dominated Dallas tonight the only reason it was even close was because of horrendous play by our top player. I have a hard time believing Kobe would struggle to this extent for a whole series. Lakers can definitely beat the Mavs.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Jacks3 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:31 pm

He's also averaging 4 TOV a game now with a TS% under 53%. Ugh.
Jacks3

Postby LakerFan1235 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't know about that. I mean, it would be tough, but with the emergence of bynum and if gasol keeps this consistency, it would be a good series. Kobe just has to stop forcing against the mavs and be more of a point guard against them.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Jacks3 wrote:He's also averaging 4 TOV a game now with a TS% under 53%. Ugh.

That's pretty bad, but that's because he's forced to be our playmaker. We just need someone else who can create plays for others, it shouldn't be only Kobe's responsibility.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby thkthebest on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Of the potential playoff teams, Kobe has so far struggled against Nuggets and Mavericks. We haven't even faced OKC with Thabo yet.
thkthebest

Postby kray28 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Jacks3 wrote:

Just goes to show you how far he's declined. Dude use to DESTROY Marion and the Mavs. At this point I pretty much expect him to struggle whenever he plays long, lanky athletic guys.

He's declined so far, he leads the league in scoring.
kray28

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Kobe was struggling big time against Dallas tonight... But still made the two biggest plays at the end of the game... Nice assists to Bynum & Gasol..
LakerFanIam

Postby Jacks3 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Maybe the triangle helped him more than we we think. He also had a major problems with TO's back in 05 with Rudy T.
Jacks3

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard