Kobe the Closer

Re: Kobe the Closer

Postby Juronimo on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:47 am

Why is Kobe not as clutch?

1. Kobe's age, he's 33, past his prime. He can't just win games by himself like he could 4 years ago.
2. He's playing heavy minutes so he's tired when the 4th quarter arrives.
3. Everyone knows what we're going to do. Our offense is stale and predictable and always falls apart at the end of games. Instead of running our offense, we just give the ball to Kobe and get out of the way. The result is predictable. This was a problem last season as well when we'd play Kobe ball in the 4th quarter instead of running our offense.
4. Teammates being deferential to Kobe to a fault. If you're open or someone else is open take the shot or get them the ball. The last play of last night's game, Blake tried to force the ball to Kobe. He was open for a 15 footer, the correct play would be to shoot that shot since he wasn't guarded. Fortunately Pau got the tip in of Kobe's heavily contested shot and we won anyway.
5. The team just isn't as good forcing Kobe to do more, play more minutes at 33. Outside of our big 3 there isn't much talent there.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby abeer3 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 am

i don't like where he's getting the ball, and then i don't like some of his shot selection. i think they're so hellbent on getting it into his hands (because the pgs can't make plays for anyone else) that he gets it way out of his most potent striking zone. maybe blake helps a bit with that, and maybe brown tweaks some things about the offense's initiation down the stretch. i think they could use pau more, as teams will let him get a high post catch early in the clock before letting kobe get a clean catch inside the three point line. trust pau to make some decisions/plays; he can do it.
abeer3

Postby brickshooter on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:41 am

I don't know whether I trust Gasol. Great during a game and I would rather run the ball in the post through Gasol than Bynum. But Gasol plays differently at the end of games when the refs generally allow a more physical game. He gets rattled when he doesn't get the call.

I think I'd rather have Kobe & Bynum work something out to a two man game. Bynum can handle a more physical game than Gasol. I think one can ask Bynum to attack the basket as hard as possible, damn the charges.
brickshooter

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 pm

revgen wrote:Pau and Drew have been more clutch this season than Kobe. The whole ISO routine in the 4th quarter isn't working. I don't mind Kobe taking over in the 4th, but we need to figure out a more creative strategy.

I wouldn't say either of them have been clutch, they simply take advantage of their opportunities. Kobe, despite his struggles in the clutch, attracts attention and leaves the big men open underneath to get easy put backs.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby revgen on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:58 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
revgen wrote:Pau and Drew have been more clutch this season than Kobe. The whole ISO routine in the 4th quarter isn't working. I don't mind Kobe taking over in the 4th, but we need to figure out a more creative strategy.

I wouldn't say either of them have been clutch, they simply take advantage of their opportunities. Kobe, despite his struggles in the clutch, attracts attention and leaves the big men open underneath to get easy put backs.

Not true. Pau and Drew always have a man that they battle with to get those boards. On top of that, the block shots have nothing to do with Kobe. Drew's blocks in the Clipper and Utah games were important as was Pau's block on Allen.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby worldjunction on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:59 pm

When is he actually have a great shooting game... Sigh :(
worldjunction

Postby trodgers on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:02 pm

worldjunction wrote:When is he actually have a great shooting game... Sigh :(

Your thread is about closing. Shouldn't you be talking about his awesome shooting down the stretch?
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby cthroatgtr on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Well take tonight's game. Bynum was a total no show. Gasol was off. Who else actually gave effort. Everyone wants to bash Kobe when they lose but all I saw was one guy trying to win and 11 other guys thinking...that was a nice win in Boston....

What I saw was what we see from Kobe. He will try and win every game by himself if he has to. Look at that air ball by Blake. Kobe is doubled (or was it tripled) and gives it up to Blake wide open and he was like...what do I do?? Hesitates and then is out of rhythm. Bynum had an easy put back and instead of dunking at the rim tries a Gasol flip. You are 7foot, 285 and you flip it??? Geez...and Coach Brown. Do you have an offense? Why is Kuester here? They ran him out of Detroit on a rail. You think you can't keep playing Kobe the whole second half. Do you have any sort of plan other than making lame excuses after every game. I mean it has to start with oh gee wiz...

After 1-3 this team sucks big time. Bynum cannot afford to take nights off but he did. That is what happens. Mitch and Jimmy get off your a** stop counting the big TV deal you got and go get some players. If Steve Blake is your 4th best player you are normally Minnesota.
cthroatgtr

Postby worldjunction on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Didn't see the game unfortunately. Good to know he shot well down the stretch. Now I am hoping he can do it more consistently and shoot better as a whole. Feb has been terrible for him.
worldjunction

Postby Samarian on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Poor Kobe... all he wants is a couple of talented guys who try hard all the time. He has zero of that on this team.
Can't stop, Won't stop chingy and dem gunnaz cause we, we get down baby we get down, girls them girls they love us.
Samarian

Postby kray28 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 pm

cthroatgtr wrote:Well take tonight's game. Bynum was a total no show. Gasol was off. Who else actually gave effort. Everyone wants to bash Kobe when they lose but all I saw was one guy trying to win and 11 other guys thinking...that was a nice win in Boston....

What I saw was what we see from Kobe. He will try and win every game by himself if he has to. Look at that air ball by Blake. Kobe is doubled (or was it tripled) and gives it up to Blake wide open and he was like...what do I do?? Hesitates and then is out of rhythm. Bynum had an easy put back and instead of dunking at the rim tries a Gasol flip. You are 7foot, 285 and you flip it??? Geez...and Coach Brown. Do you have an offense? Why is Kuester here? They ran him out of Detroit on a rail. You think you can't keep playing Kobe the whole second half. Do you have any sort of plan other than making lame excuses after every game. I mean it has to start with oh gee wiz...

After 1-3 this team sucks big time. Bynum cannot afford to take nights off but he did. That is what happens. Mitch and Jimmy get off your a** stop counting the big TV deal you got and go get some players. If Steve Blake is your 4th best player you are normally Minnesota.

Your middle paragraph is gold. Very true.
kray28

Postby BDG on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Samarian wrote:Poor Kobe... all he wants is a couple of talented guys who try hard all the time. He has zero of that on this team.
I've said this so many times, but Jordan never had to deal with that crap.

I've seen years of Kobe put up with mentally soft teammates who only play defense half the time.

Sorry if that hijacks this thread, but it is what it is.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby kray28 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:23 pm

The truth is that this team is so mentally weak that on literally every possession, you see Kobe having to be the closer.

Kobe iso is fine, you will use as a weapon. But one thing you rarely see is the crisp passing you had with the Tri. Right now the team is stuck in his offensive no-man's land between being that Triangle team and being a four corners team.
kray28

Postby thkthebest on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Kobe, the closer, is losing trust in his teammates. At one point, he was doubled, but he refused to pass. Then a triple team came and forced him to pass. Of course, Blake missed the shot if I remember correctly (or was it a Barnes charge?).
thkthebest

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:58 pm

revgen wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:

Not true. Pau and Drew always have a man that they battle with to get those boards. On top of that, the block shots have nothing to do with Kobe. Drew's blocks in the Clipper and Utah games were important as was Pau's block on Allen.

There's really not much pressure to battle for rebounds, that's just about effort which they should be giving 100% of the time anyway.

And yes they have great blocks in the clutch but when you look at the clutch statistics, Kobe's are more than likely worse than Bynum's or Pau's which makes a person think Kobe chokes while the latter succeed when in reality most of Pau and Bynum's offensive production in the clutch comes as a direct result of the attention Kobe gets.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby JGC on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:52 pm

thkthebest wrote:Kobe, the closer, is losing trust in his teammates. At one point, he was doubled, but he refused to pass. Then a triple team came and forced him to pass. Of course, Blake missed the shot if I remember correctly (or was it a Barnes charge?).

Yeah man, this actually happens a lot. BTW, I'm not "trolling" you ok, it's just you say a lot of things that make me want to reply. Sometimes it's in agreement, sometimes it's in disagreement.

I will say, that refusal to pass is exactly why I am particularly tough on Kobe as being both the reason we're even scoring 93 pts, but also the reason we're only scoring 93 points.

This team has no identity, it sucks. Blake took an off rhythm 3 at the end there, not that it mattered, but still, there is no flow at all in most of our games.
JGC

Postby lotus on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:08 pm

I complain about Kobe hogging the ball, but I no longer care for this season. It's is really sad that he has to carry a team of soft, timid players. He has no help. He fights while others look unsure or lack confidence . It doesn't say much when the next most aggressive player is Glock the 2nd round rookie.

Screw it, Kobe, you have my permission to shoot everytime!
lotus

Postby Finwë on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:56 pm

kray28 wrote:Did you see his last basket? It's a miracle he made that....and we needed those points just as we needed Drew's tip in. When the refs declare open season on Hack-a-Kobe (he shot a whopping 5 ft, one off defensive T) while drawing hard doubles and getting hacked to pieces all night by Ray and Peaches, you're just going to have to accept some of the misses.

The reason that Kobe is in that position in the first place is the retarded decision to play Fisher a whopping 24 minutes, and somehow allowing Ron to touch the ball on offense.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JGC on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:45 am

lotus wrote:I complain about Kobe hogging the ball, but I no longer care for this season. It's is really sad that he has to carry a team of soft, timid players. He has no help. He fights while others look unsure or lack confidence . It doesn't say much when the next most aggressive player is Glock the 2nd round rookie.

Screw it, Kobe, you have my permission to shoot everytime!

What's funny is that we don't have soft, timid players at all. We actually have some tough and tough minded players.

What we're really missing is a player who can elevate their teammates games. Most of that I blame on the coaching but Kobe is partially responsible too.

Kobe can't get all the credit when the team is winning, and none of the blame when the team isn't. To illustrate the value of a point guard, look at Jeremy Lin. He has led his team to 5 straight wins with a lineup of Chandler, Jeffries, Fields, Walker.

Don't give up on this season ... if we get ourselves a PG floor leader, we can become a very dangerous team since we're already good defensively.
JGC

Postby worldjunction on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:21 pm

sigh... :man6:
worldjunction

Postby worldjunction on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:33 pm

:) He finished well!!!! Soooo happy :jam2:

Now... hopefully he doesn't have to have the 0-6 before that point.
worldjunction

Postby worldjunction on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Hopefully a sign of good things to come. This breaks the string of his last second misses!
worldjunction

Postby assassin08 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:46 pm

lol... preemptive reactions :man10:

:man9:
"I've learned that I have the strength to change."

- Al Pacino as Michael Corleone

assassin08

Postby 100%effort on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Is that jumper considered a game winner?
100%effort

Postby Weezy on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Lol that's funny, that's why you never say it's over with Kobe until the final buzzer has sounded.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard