KTLA: Does Lakers Nation Want Dwight?

Re: KTLA: Does Lakers Nation Want Dwight?

Postby noobiew on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:46 pm

If we keep Bynum than we must trade Gasol for some depth, youth and athleticism
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby purp n gold on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:52 pm

BadCoaching wrote:D12 is too much of a risk.. we saw what Bynum can do and we've already given him so much time. Why back out on this major investment now? He had a great stats season, a mediocre maturity level season but capped it all off by being healthy and competitive. D12 was due for an injury, he'd been so solid for long. He's arrogant, immature and a complete toss up whether he'll ever be his former self..

Everything you said about D12 can be easily said for Bynum.

And it's not backing out of an investment, it's trading your good investment for an even better one.

What's more is that Bynum is also immature on the court, while at least D12 always brings it on court.

There is absolutely no science behind the timing and occurrence of injuries. I don't see how you can appropriately measure the risk of D12 just because you say he was "due" for an injury. You can only go by recent history:

D12 - 1 major back injury vs Bynum - several major knee injuries.

Even if they were equal players (they are not. Howard is better and I'm not willing to debate this), I'm still going with the guy who's only had 1 major injury. Even if it was 1 back injury vs. 1 knee injury... I'm still going with the guy who had a back injury!

I'm no doctor but after years of observing NBA players, it seems like back ailments (generally) can be treated. Steve Nash has had a bad back for years and he nearly led the league in assists last year. Once the knee cartilage is gone, it's gone.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:25 pm

I only want Howard if it can be proved that the back won't be a lingering injury that hurts his game. Only way to see if that's true is to watch him play this season and make that kind of decision around the trading deadline.

No way I trade for him at this juncture.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby eltoro on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:13 pm

trodgers wrote:Scientific?

Yes, the poll is legit. It is a scientific, quantitative thing. No estimate. No conjecture. The majority of people in the United States think the Lakers do not need Dwight.
eltoro

Postby the_Dude on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:55 pm

TIME wrote:Is no one else fascinated that the "Editor in Chief of LakersNation.com" seems to be like 15 years old?

:man10:
the_Dude

Postby Murdock on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:11 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:This is a no brainer. Dwight is a level above Bynum. Bynum is a slow footed statue that will clog up the paint whereas Dwight can play pick n roll much better with Nash. He is a piece that just fits better with this team on both ends of the floor. When u play with Nash, you have to be able to move without the ball. Even Gasol can do that.

We get Dwight and i feel we are as good as anyone without hesitation. With Bynum, we are still below okc and mia.

yeah but nash won't be here forever ... and then Howard is gonna be useless, he can't create on his own
Murdock

Postby trodgers on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:36 am

eltoro wrote:

Yes, the poll is legit. It is a scientific, quantitative thing. No estimate. No conjecture. The majority of people in the United States think the Lakers do not need Dwight.

1. It's quantitative insofar as you're counting hands raised. What question are they answering? One that is a value judgment. (And one, paradoxically, to which so many people who answered would say that there is "no right answer.")

2. Who cares if 100k lay people say that a team needs or doesn't need a player? When I have medical symptoms, I don't run to Yahoo! Answers or surveymonkey and see what the general public think. I ask a physician.

So, you're getting subjective reports from lay people. That data may be spun into something scientific, but by itself it's just a (pretty useless) piece of data.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 am

Doc Brown is offended that you called the poll scientific.

(The real one, not me)
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby eltoro on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:33 am

trodgers wrote:
eltoro wrote:

1. It's quantitative insofar as you're counting hands raised. What question are they answering? One that is a value judgment. (And one, paradoxically, to which so many people who answered would say that there is "no right answer.")

2. Who cares if 100k lay people say that a team needs or doesn't need a player? When I have medical symptoms, I don't run to Yahoo! Answers or surveymonkey and see what the general public think. I ask a physician.

So, you're getting subjective reports from lay people. That data may be spun into something scientific, but by itself it's just a (pretty useless) piece of data.

Yeah, but the ESPN poll is legitimate for the reasons that this poll was not restricted to just Lakers fans. That obviously would bias the results. And since this poll is open and you get a pool of people from all across the nation, it is even more sound.

The majority of over 100,000 people across the country, not just LA, believe that the Lakers do not need Dwight Howard. If you disagree, you can still vote too.

ESPN poll
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls?pCat=46&sCat=3097
eltoro

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:16 am

Murdock wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:This is a no brainer. Dwight is a level above Bynum. Bynum is a slow footed statue that will clog up the paint whereas Dwight can play pick n roll much better with Nash. He is a piece that just fits better with this team on both ends of the floor. When u play with Nash, you have to be able to move without the ball. Even Gasol can do that.

We get Dwight and i feel we are as good as anyone without hesitation. With Bynum, we are still below okc and mia.

yeah but nash won't be here forever ... and then Howard is gonna be useless, he can't create on his own

The window here is for Kobe, which is probably 2 years at best. Then you still have Howard to build around for 5 more years after he's gone. Worry about that later.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:20 am

A lot of people are discounting the severity of Dwight's back injury. He could come back as he was, or he could meddle him for his career.

Bynum seemed to prove that his knee's aren't a factor anymore.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Previous

Return to The Graveyard