OJ Mayo To The Lakers?

Re: OJ Mayo To The Lakers?

Postby cthroatgtr on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:14 pm

OJ starting SG, Kobe moves to SF...
cthroatgtr

Postby JLaker17 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:16 pm

This is probably the one thing I see having a lesser chance of happening than Howard to LA.
JLaker17

Postby Frank Dux on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:18 pm

cthroatgtr wrote:OJ starting SG, Kobe moves to SF...

Kobe is NOT switching to SF this late into his career.
Frank Dux

Re: OJ Mayo

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:21 pm

They would have a scorer off the bench, which the team has lacked the last two seasons.
Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST-MING

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:22 pm

GoatMilk16 wrote:meh. he's too young to ring chase
i hope im wrong, but i dont see him signing here

Tell that to LeBron.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby TIME on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:26 pm

KeepBynum wrote:

Tell that to LeBron.

That comparison doesn't fit. LeBron signed an almost max contract. He was willing to "sacrifice" just a little bit on his contract, but more than made that up with no state taxes. To sign a MMLE here, Mayo would be signing way under market value to come here.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:27 pm

I wouldn’t mind Mayo as the third guard behind Nash and Bryant. He has the height, speed, and length to defend Westbrook. He just doesn’t have a strong base to deny post position. He’s a liability on the block.
Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JUST-MING

Postby 432J on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:32 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:
kray28 wrote:If this is true (and I have my doubts), who's our second string PG?

Goudelock.

He doesn’t have any point skills.

I wouldn’t mind Mayo as the third guard behind Nash and Bryant. He has the height, speed, and length to defend Westbrook. He just doesn’t have a strong base to deny post position. He’s a liability on the block.

exactly. if i remember, the grizz tried playing him at PG and it didnt pan out. one of the good things of having him in LA would be reducing kobe's minutes which is much needed at this point
432J

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 pm

TIME wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:

Tell that to LeBron.

That comparison doesn't fit. LeBron signed an almost max contract. He was willing to "sacrifice" just a little bit on his contract, but more than made that up with no state taxes. To sign a MMLE here, Mayo would be signing way under market value to come here.

If he comes it'll most likely be a S&T. In a S&T he'll be able to get the money he wants. I would sign him to a 4 year/20 million dollar deal. TO after two years.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:24 pm

KeepBynum wrote:If he comes it'll most likely be a S&T. In a S&T he'll be able to get the money he wants. I would sign him to a 4 year/20 million dollar deal. TO after two years.

Exactly.. If he can get the same contract here as on any of the teams mentioned.. Where is he most likely to play himself in to the most money in his next contract? When role players play well for us they get overpaid usually.. Fish, Ronny, etc.. If he comes to LA & wins a couple of rings as our 6th man, being groomed by 2 of the greatest guards to ever play.. How do you pass that up? There are plenty of minutes to be had behind Nash.. We have no business playing him more than 28 MPG.. & even if Kobe plays a ton of minutes again, we can always move Kobe to the 3.. He's a more efficient scorer at the 3 for his career.. I really hope we pull this off..
lakersin4

Postby jjin28 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Mayo can grow to become the best 6th man in the league especially with mamba n nash teaching him along the way. His name alone is a la lakers type of name. Bring him here!!
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Mamba has what? 2 to 3 prime years left. Mayo will definitely have a role if he is patient.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby eltoro on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:48 am

The Lakers need a backup PG more than a backup SG. Actually, they need a combo PG/SG that can run the offense and still be able to shoot. Both Nash and Kobe are old, and need a backup. Why can't their backup be the same player? OKC has James Harden, who actually plays both backup PG AND backup SG. Since he plays both positions he actually gets starter type of minutes even though he is a bench player.

Nash is older than Kobe, and Nash should come out of the game 1st.

When Nash comes out of the game, we need a reliable PG to check in (ala James Harden type) that can run the offense. Then, when Kobe comes out, the backup PG can slide over to SG and spell Kobe while Nash checks back into the game. So, Nash would be in the game while our backup PG is now playing SG. Essentially, this backup PG would be playing starters type of minutes even though he is coming off the bench. Then, when Kobe checks back in, the backup PG/SG checks out of the game. This is exactly how OKC uses James Harden.
eltoro

Postby RushDelivery on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:43 am

kray28 wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:
kray28 wrote:This whole deal is BS....made up "heard it on the radio" BS.

No it's not.

Says you...please source this properly.

Who on AM 570 said this?
Who was the information sourced to?
Why are there no secondary sources?

Were these questions ever answered? This seems like a wild rumor with little to no substance, and it really doesn't make much sense at all. I highly doubt Mayo ends up on the Lakers, and I doubt the Lakers are seriously interested since he's likely seeking a large contract which would make him a very expensive backup to Kobe.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:57 am

Frank Dux wrote:

He played SF in the triangle all the years after Phil returned and is usually guarded by the other teams SF anyways. It really wouldn't be much of a change and he plays there frequently anyways.
cthroatgtr

Postby ben_ready on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:21 am

They been taking my advice if true lol, plus OJ came up as a pg, he was actually the number 1 rated pg ahead of d.rose in high school. He'd be first off the bench for Kobe and Nash. We could bring in a Flynn as well. I would also include glock in the trade hope it's true yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:29 am

ben_ready wrote:They been taking my advice if true lol, plus OJ came up as a pg, he was actually the number 1 rated pg ahead of d.rose in high school. He'd be first off the bench for Kobe and Nash. We could bring in a Flynn as well. I would also include glock in the trade hope it's true yell™

Flynn would be a nice cheap back up, esp if we are trading Steve Blake (please let it be true). OJ can definitely run some point, and he can learn a few things from Nash. But I'd probably want him playing the back up 2 next to Nash...he will flourish at that position.
FabFourLakers

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:42 am

the second Nash comes out of the game Kobe is gunna run the offense regardless of who the backup pg is or what mike brown wants...just can't expect him to let anyone but Nash run the offense when he's in

so all we really need is a guard who can shoot and maybe penetrate a bit. that's why sesh was perfect...wish he didn't leave bc it was perfect. a guy like delonte or nate who can shoot would be perfect.
Last edited by Ariza3 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ariza3

Postby John3:16 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:44 am

Frank Dux wrote:

IMO, Kobe would welcome it. Not trying to open a can of worms, but I remember Kobe mentioning and how easy it was for Jordan playing behind the defense. Yes, that was in the triangle, but I do think Kobe would like it. Especially with a PG/QB like Nash.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:48 am

That was before zone defenses.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby LakerFan1235 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:52 am

Holy crap if we got mayo for those 2 scrubs that would be incredible. A younger quick guy who can shoot 3s? Perfect.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:03 pm

He's really just an overrated chucker who doesn't have much of a positive impact on his team. But our bench is such garbage we can't afford to be picky
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby SaintsLFC13 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:29 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Mamba has what? 2 to 3 prime years left. Mayo will definitely have a role if he is patient.

Exactly. Come to LA, get a chance to help a legend win some more rings, learn from him, and get a payday when he's done whether its from the Lakers or from someone else if the guy performs off the bench he'll get paid as a starter somewhere. He's only 24 right now, he'll be 25 in November. 3 years under Kobe puts him right into his athletic prime as Kobe is on his way either to retirement or to heavily reduced minutes. Not to mention he gets to practice against and learn from one of the best players to ever play his position? Honestly I don't know why more players in his position (not quite a proven starter but a really good bench player) don't take that route, I mean sure it's a gamble if he under-performs or doesn't take in anything from Kobe but it could really pay off for him in the end if he does well and learns.
SaintsLFC13

Postby nameant on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:34 pm

I'll never understand why some fans think you can just plug this guy into this spot and it doesn't matter. After 16 years in the league Kobe is gonna switch to SF b/c hey...it's no big deal. There is more to basketball than simply plugging in what you think the best lineup is.
nameant

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Probasketballdraft
According to an NBA executive the Suns sound like the team to beat for OJ Mayo. Exec said "Mayo would fit in well in Phoenix. It's obvious the Suns want help at SG with the Eric Gordon offer sheet."
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard