OJ Mayo To The Lakers?

Re: OJ Mayo To The Lakers?

Postby eltoro on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 am

I'm going to put in my vote regarding OJ Mayo. It's a NO for me.
eltoro

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:41 am

eltoro wrote:I'm going to put in my vote regarding OJ Mayo. It's a NO for me.

Is that a 100% no, or 75 / 25 ?
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:14 am

For the Mini- MLE, absolutely. I think he would be great off the bench backing up Kobe. He can also play some 1, in short stretches to give Nash a rest at times. He is also young. Great pickup.....FOR THE BENCH!
LAKEROC

Postby Whatthef? on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 am

The Lakers need bench scoring, unless GLock emerges, but I think OJ wants more money that the Lakers are offering.
Whatthef?

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:09 am

I'm not sure why people are saying OJ Mayo is so overrated around here. At least in the least year or two, I haven't seen anyone who is saying OJ is a superstar, an All-Star, or the next big thing. He's simply a very, very solid bench guy that can provide scoring for the Lakers where they need it most: off the bench in a combo guard position.

Mayo has many faults, but he has upside as well. Here's a few quick points:
- Mayo has never shot above 46% from the field in his 4 year career. However, Kobe Bryant, widely touted as one of the league's greatest scorers ever, has never shot above 47% and has a career average of 45.3% from the field (Mayo's is 43.3%). If we're asking for a bench scorer, someone to fill in as an offensive punch, how is that so bad? Jason Terry, one of the league's consistent 6th Man of the Year Award notables, shoots 43% from the field and many of us would love him on this team.

- Mayo's career average from behind the 3 point line has never dropped below 36% and his career average is 37.5%. Are those stellar numbers? Maybe not, but they're definitely solid numbers. Using Terry again as an example, Terry has a career average of exactly 38% from deep. With our projected team for the 2012-2013 season (those guysunder contract right now), the only person who shoots near that efficiency is Goudelock. For all of Mayo's short comings, Goudelock's are all the more glaring (defense, size, etc.).

Mayo averaged 1.1 steals last season and has never averaged less than 1 steal. He averaged 1.1 steals in 26:48 minutes played. We have no one on our bench that comes close to that mark (Blake is the closest with .7 steals in 23+ minutes. That's not saying much because steals is not an indicator of good defense, but steals are still turnovers and for a team that touts defense, we could always use more of that.

I'm not saying I love Mayo or that we should overpay to get him, but having off of the bench would be a massive help. Many of us would have welcomed Sessions off of the bench to create shots and to score, but Mayo put up comparable numbers to Sessions in a few less minutes a game. I don't see any reason for all of the hate towards this kid. All that being said, I still doubt he comes here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:19 am

^^^

Agree 100%. CL'ers usually have issues with perspective. They want the cake and eat it too. It's cliche but, beggars can't be choosers. With our payroll the way it is and has been for the past 3-4 years, we've been forced to become that hobo picking up trash that people throw away or don't want.

Mayo = an uneaten big mac combo left outside the doorstep. Complaining about Mayo is like the hobo knocking on the door pissed off at why he did get a supersized fries.
Last edited by borri on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
borri

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:19 am

^^^if he wants $8mill/yr than he's overrated
khmrP

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 am

I've always wanted Mayo. Always.

His rookie and sophomore years he looked poised to be a damn good player. Pretty much an 18/4/3 with near 40% 3PT. I really think he's a change of scenery type of player who will flourish in the right situation. With that said, 8 million is too much.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:25 am

I want him on the team, he's better than anyone on our bench by miles. That said, he's a BENCH player, you don't give that guy 8 mil per, I would say he's worth between 5 and 6.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am

Weezy wrote:I want him on the team, he's better than anyone on our bench by miles. That said, he's a BENCH player, you don't give that guy 8 mil per, I would say he's worth between 5 and 6.

To be fair we gave Odom 8 million. Not that I'm saying Mayo deserves that, just that it's not unheard of. I think the only way you justify giving Mayo 8 million ( I don't even want that, just throwing out ideas), is by trading McRoberts/Blake/Morris for him, then signing Jamison to the minimum.

You lose depth, but we weren't using it anyway. You give Goudelock or DJO if he makes the team more responsibilty as a backup 2 and run Mayo as the backup de-facto 1 guard.

The reason I like this idea is not because I think Mayo is a good PG, he's not. It's because it forces Brown's hand. Just like trading Derek Fisher MADE Brown use Sessions, trading Blake will MAKE him use Goudelock/Blake's replacement.

A rotation of
Nash (30)/ (Mayo 15)/ Goudelock (3)
Bryant (34)/Mayo (10)/ Goudelock(Odom) (4)

is more palatable to me than watching Blake play 30 minutes a night.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:37 am

khmrP wrote:^^^if he wants $8mill/yr than he's overrated

by himself or whoever gives him that contract, not by those of us at Clublakers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:42 am

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:I want him on the team, he's better than anyone on our bench by miles. That said, he's a BENCH player, you don't give that guy 8 mil per, I would say he's worth between 5 and 6.

To be fair we gave Odom 8 million. Not that I'm saying Mayo deserves that, just that it's not unheard of. I think the only way you justify giving Mayo 8 million ( I don't even want that, just throwing out ideas), is by trading McRoberts/Blake/Morris for him, then signing Jamison to the minimum.

You lose depth, but we weren't using it anyway. You give Goudelock or DJO if he makes the team more responsibilty as a backup 2 and run Mayo as the backup de-facto 1 guard.

The reason I like this idea is not because I think Mayo is a good PG, he's not. It's because it forces Brown's hand. Just like trading Derek Fisher MADE Brown use Sessions, trading Blake will MAKE him use Goudelock/Blake's replacement.

A rotation of
Nash (30)/ (Mayo 15)/ Goudelock (3)
Bryant (34)/Mayo (10)/ Goudelock(Odom) (4)

is more palatable to me than watching Blake play 30 minutes a night.

edit: And I just want to clarify that I agree he's not worth 8 million dollars. From what I understand though, he wants to be in LA which is part of what's keeping us alive in his talks. What I would like is for him to step down from that crazy 8 million and settle for 4-6 which would allow us to sign and trade him for McRoberts and a couple of our 2nd rounders like Goudelock, Morris, or DJO. Maybe even McRoberts/Eyenga/Morris gets it done for around 6 million. Offer him an averaged 6 million dollar deal for 3 years and hope he goes for it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:46 am

therealdeal wrote:

by himself or whoever gives him that contract, not by those of us at Clublakers.

well if we were to get him @ $8mill/yr than he's overrated regardless of how we obtain him. Odom went to the bench because it made the bench better, Mayo went to the bench because Allen is a better fit to start.
khmrP

Postby KJ MonK on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:50 am

why does memphis want mcbobblehead so bad? havent they tried to get him for mayo for years
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

well if we were to get him @ $8mill/yr than he's overrated regardless of how we obtain him. Odom went to the bench because it made the bench better, Mayo went to the bench because Allen is a better fit to start.

Odom went to the bench for the same reason. It was a better fit for the Lakers to have both Bynum and Gasol starting. It gave other teams a massive disadvantage.

Again, I'm not saying we need to give him 8 million dollars, but there will be a team who does and that team will have overrated him. Sure.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:00 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Odom went to the bench for the same reason. It was a better fit for the Lakers to have both Bynum and Gasol starting. It gave other teams a massive disadvantage.

Again, I'm not saying we need to give him 8 million dollars, but there will be a team who does and that team will have overrated him. Sure.

Odom benching is TOTALLY different than Mayo benching, I'm sure you can ask any mem fans and they would agree. I'm not saying I wouldn't want Mayo and he could solve some bench problem but @ $8mill I dont see him having the same impact as the $8mill we gave Odom.
khmrP

Postby KJ MonK on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 pm

im trying to figure out why hes been getting worse numbers and minutes every year he's been in the league... cancer?
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:05 pm

I understand the Odom comparison, but at the same time Odom was a career starter who just moved to the bench for us. He had been paid much more than 8 mil per most of his career, only took less because he was aging and wanted to stay with us. Odom did much more on the court than Mayo does, with his rebounding, and passing/pg skills, plus guys around 7 foot always get paid more, they just do. Again, I want Mayo, but he's not worth 8 mil, he hasn't earned that yet in his short NBA career, he deserves Ariza type money at best.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:13 pm

khmrP wrote:Odom benching is TOTALLY different than Mayo benching, I'm sure you can ask any mem fans and they would agree. I'm not saying I wouldn't want Mayo and he could solve some bench problem but @ $8mill I dont see him having the same impact as the $8mill we gave Odom.

Why do you keep quoting me to say he doesn't deserve 8 million dollars? I have said in the last 3 posts that I agree with that statement. I don't know what your problem is, but please read my posts thoroughly.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby eltoro on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 pm

John3:16 wrote:

No means no. And that is my vote.
eltoro

Postby Kingsama on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 pm

eltoro wrote:

Kingsama

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm

I like Mayo a lot but I am doubtful about this. I think he's worth more than the Lakers can pay him. But who knows? Magic wand.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm

:man10: :man10:
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby GoldHammish on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:08 pm

eltoro wrote:

90% no, 10% yes?
GoldHammish

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:20 pm

I'd pay 8 million for Mayo off the bench. Hell when combined Blake/McFly/Glock/Morris make that combined and Mayo is worlds better than everyone of those guys and would contribute a whole lot more. I'd rather spend 8 million on one good player, then divide it up and get garbage for the most part.

Anyway he's not getting 8 million, Lou Williams got 5 million, Beasley 6 million, Mayo will get between 5-6.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard