Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:01 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
432J wrote:jim buss screwed this team up and they're gonna be f*cked for a while

2 horrendous coaching hires and he the inability to swallow his own pride and do what's best for the team. stupid [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]


"Make no mistake about it, Jerry Buss made the final call on firing Mike Brown, passing over Jackson and ultimately deciding on D'Antoni," confirmed an NBA source who requested anonymity. "The management structure is a democracy up to a certain point; but when something very big comes up, Jerry makes the decision.

"That's not to say he overrules his guys all the time – he doesn't. But if he disagrees, he uses his veto power to do what is in the best interests of his organization. He's overruled Kupchak and he even went against Jerry West sometimes. They would have animated discussions, and Dr. Buss would listen, then sometimes do what he wanted."

i've heard about this but i still doubt that jerry made the final decision to hire dan tony over phil, especially given that his own daughter has been dating phil for over a decade

he isn't a moron like his POS son
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4786
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:06 pm

^ Would you believe it though, even if Jerry Buss told you from his own mouth that it was his decision?
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:10 pm

JGC wrote:^ Would you believe it though, even if Jerry Buss told you from his own mouth that it was his decision?

so he told you that he hired dan tony and not jim?

interesting
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4786
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:12 pm

JGC wrote:^ Would you believe it though, even if Jerry Buss told you from his own mouth that it was his decision?


Nope, if that were to happen, that'd probably just mean Jerry's coming down with Alzheimer's and forgot that it was actually his moron POS idiot douchebag cause-of-all-the-Laker's-problems son!

[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.][Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]
Last edited by Helljumper on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14877
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:12 pm

432J wrote:
JGC wrote:^ Would you believe it though, even if Jerry Buss told you from his own mouth that it was his decision?

so he told you that he hired dan tony and not jim?

interesting


Haha. Naaahhh... I just didn't understand your deep hatred for Jim Buss. He doesn't act in a vacuum ya know.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Helljumper wrote:
JGC wrote:^ Would you believe it though, even if Jerry Buss told you from his own mouth that it was his decision?


Nope, if that were to happen, that'd probably just mean Jerry's coming down with Alzheimer's and forgot that it was actually his moron POS idiot douchebag cause-of-all-the-Laker's-problems son!

[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.][Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]


LOL!!!
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Mike Brown had a nice offense last year that made him not that bad of a coach, unfortunately he had to go to the Princeton offense for no apparent reason & that's what got him fired.

D'Antoni's offense consists of running & gunning & we're not even doing that, which makes me think...what are we doing? D'Antoni is not a half court offense guy, never has been & never will be.
Image

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
User avatar
GoldenKnight

 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Come'n fellas...lets not be naive here. There are 2 sides to each tale...

Source says Jim Buss felt "insignificant" when Phil Jackson was coaching the Lakers...
via Ramona Shelburne & Chris Broussard


Or what about the the Lakers' ex vice president, Magic Johnson saying:
I love Dr. Jerry Buss...I do not believe in Jim Buss.


So Mr. Laker became vice president, was loved by Dr. Jerry Buss and then all of a sudden steps down from his role, sells his Laker shares/ownership and then joins a group to own the Dodgers...all that coming after Jerry starts to transition ownership power over to Jimmy. Magic also comments on mourning Phil not getting hired (a very pro-Jeanie comment).

I mean, what better Laker insider than Magic, right?

To say that Dr. Jerry Buss vetoed Jimmy to hire D'Antoni over Phil makes zero sense if you have followed power struggles between Phil/Jeanie and Jim.

This was Jerry basically saying, Jimmy you goofed up again with the Mike Brown hire, so we got to get ourselves out of it again. But I won't further humiliate you and make you feel insignificant by hiring Phil...we'll go with someone else. Daddy's got you!
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13028
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

everytime i see d'antoni's name, i just think about how it should have been phil.

still can't believe the fans got the "this roster was a better fit for MDA" lie.

that's just an insult to us fans.

i do feel bad for MDA as he's in a no win situation unless he wins the title, and he's fighting the uphill battle with fans from the beginning.
Pig Miller

 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Rooscooter on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Come'n fellas...lets not be naive here. There are 2 sides to each tale...

Source says Jim Buss felt "insignificant" when Phil Jackson was coaching the Lakers...
via Ramona Shelburne & Chris Broussard


Or what about the the Lakers' ex vice president, Magic Johnson saying:
I love Dr. Jerry Buss...I do not believe in Jim Buss.


So Mr. Laker became vice president, was loved by Dr. Jerry Buss and then all of a sudden steps down from his role, sells his Laker shares/ownership and then joins a group to own the Dodgers...all that coming after Jerry starts to transition ownership power over to Jimmy. Magic also comments on mourning Phil not getting hired (a very pro-Jeanie comment).

I mean, what better Laker insider than Magic, right?

To say that Dr. Jerry Buss vetoed Jimmy to hire D'Antoni over Phil makes zero sense if you have followed power struggles between Phil/Jeanie and Jim.

This was Jerry basically saying, Jimmy you goofed up again with the Mike Brown hire, so we got to get ourselves out of it again. But I won't further humiliate you and make you feel insignificant by hiring Phil...we'll go with someone else. Daddy's got you!


I have a little different take on this. Jerry Buss has been on the record going back about 10 years wanting a fast paced team like Showtime again. I think he even mentioned once that the team was boring to watch at times under Phil. Now that may be a dig at Phil but he's said it too many times for me not to believe that the old man had more than a little to do with the MDA signing.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23021
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 pm

I'm sorry, but I can't take the anti-D'antoni posts that constantly bring up Phil seriously. He's not our coach. He won't be. We won't ever know what he'd be able to do with this team. You can bring up his track record, but the fact of the matter is that we have some glaring issues on this roster that have nothing to do with our offensive system, rotations, or defensive schemes. It's obvious that some of you are constantly (and unfairly) comparing what D'antoni's actually doing with this team with some imaginary hypothetical vision of this team that you had when you originally heard we might get Phil.
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14877
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Finwë on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:10 pm

STILL with this?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm sorry, but I can't take continued support for D'Antoni seriously.

The fundamental thing wrong with this team is their effort. That effort comes from the way our coach wants to "run" the offense...that in turn leaks into the way we play defense. You have a veteran team that needs their legs for the postseason...yet you DNP more than capable players and run up the minutes on players who need the rest. Running up the minutes comes from a necessity to play the starters. So why are the starters needed upon to win these games? Its cause they can't run up the score on the opposition, instead they trail early and need to get back into the game. So we can't defend the opposition from running up the score on us...and why exactly? Cause the effort isn't quite there...which leads back to the offense.

Oh and just maybe, some players aren't giving their all into a system they truly don't believe in. I mean, we did see it before, not too long ago with Coach B. Dude gets fired and the players seem to have a weight lifted off of them and went out and played freely.Things that make you go hmmm..
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13028
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Roos: The old man wants to run and that isn't a secret. You're absolutely right. They wanted CP3 after all and were willing to give up 2 bigs in LO and Pau to get him.

However, what really grinds my gears is like Pig Miller said: the FO fed us some real horse maneuver...pretty much flipping us the bird, like they did Phil.

This team, as constructed, favors a system like the triangle. You may want Showtime, but as good as Nash is, he ain't Magic.

Know your personnel, play to their strengths and then go get the modern day Magic in the summer of 2014 when he decides to opt out of a Heat uniform. Till then, you got a mamba that likes striking from the elbow. You got a John Paxson/Steve Kerr shooter that can handle the rock and give a motion offense a ridiculous boost in efficient movement. You got a post player that feels more pauerful on the low block instead of out on the arc. And you have a key free agent that dreamed of the coach, who was surprisingly available for us to sign, during his nightmare season in Orlando.

You have a veteran team built for a title now....what better hire than a guy that has 11 of 'em?

So why didn't it happen? Cause Jerry, who's been a shrewd owner for his entire career wanted Showtime sooo badly....even after the triangle led to titles which led to the megabillion TWC deal? I don't buy it... Other factors had to be in play...and they played with alot of fans' hearts.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13028
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Rooscooter on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Roos: The old man wants to run and that isn't a secret. You're absolutely right. They wanted CP3 after all and were willing to give up 2 bigs in LO and Pau to get him.

However, what really grinds my gears is like Pig Miller said: the FO fed us some real horse maneuver...pretty much flipping us the bird, like they did Phil.

This team, as constructed, favors a system like the triangle. You may want Showtime, but as good as Nash is, he ain't Magic.

Know your personnel, play to their strengths and then go get the modern day Magic in the summer of 2014 when he decides to opt out of a Heat uniform. Till then, you got a mamba that likes striking from the elbow. You got a John Paxson/Steve Kerr shooter that can handle the rock and give a motion offense a ridiculous boost in efficient movement. You got a post player that feels more pauerful on the low block instead of out on the arc. And you have a key free agent that dreamed of the coach, who was surprisingly available for us to sign, during his nightmare season in Orlando.

You have a veteran team built for a title now....what better hire than a guy that has 11 of 'em?


You are echoing a lot of my posts about MDA on the previous pages.... preaching to the choir Vash....

I'm just giving my take on this...... they saw an opportunity to get a coach that can install a system they would like to see in LA again..... you'd think the old man knew the personnel didn't fit.... maybe he does and is going to do something about it. I think MDA's hiring was the start of something..... not entirely random as some think.

MDA's rigid system... or more importantly his forcing of the system with little regard for the players strengths seems to preclude a "transition" period that includes short term success.

Personally, I think Pau has played his way out of LA.... what we get will be very interesting and most likely very telling.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23021
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby charvin on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I don't like Nash in the offense because he assumes the Fisher role. Stand in the corner and hit 3's. That's severely undermining his skills as a PG. Him and Kobe aren't getting burned out because of the offense, it's because we don't have anyone worth a damn besides Meeks to sub in for them. We have ZERO depth at the backup 3 and backup 1. It's not like we are sprinting up and down the court with this offense, we simply don't have the bodies to get effective play when they are on the bench. I fully agree MDA should be resting them more, but when your options are Duhon (recently), Morris, Ebanks, it really puts him in a bad situation. We need another wing player or two to fix this.


Quite honestly, no one will ever know what role Nash would have played or how he would have done under Phil. To be fair, Phil had never had an elite PG, and as such, we don't have any facts to go off of that Phil would (or would not have) modified his Triangle offense to flow through the PG/C.
charvin

 
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby cthroatgtr on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 pm

1.2.3.4.5.6...why did they hire this guy? ...7
cthroatgtr

 
Posts: 2350
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:06 pm
Location: so cal

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:38 pm

JGC wrote:
432J wrote:
JGC wrote:^ Would you believe it though, even if Jerry Buss told you from his own mouth that it was his decision?

so he told you that he hired dan tony and not jim?

interesting


Haha. Naaahhh... I just didn't understand your deep hatred for Jim Buss. He doesn't act in a vacuum ya know.

i dont get how any of you self proclaimed lakers fans would have an ounce of SUPPORT for that frekin idiot

he's single handedly ruined this team, first by hiring brown over shaw and adelman and then by hiring dan tony over phil. i will refuse to believe the nonsense that dr. buss chose to hire dan tony because just the thought of that is downright ridiculous. jim clearly had an underlying, personal issue with phil and took that into consideration when making the decision on who to hire as HC thereby screwing this team up for a long time. he had the chance to hire the greatest coach of all time to coach this stacked team but instead hired an unproven, narrow minded idiot in dan tony with an offensive scheme that is the worst possible fit for this roster

this team will not win crap as long as mike dan tony is coach and jim buss is calling the shots
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4786
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Helljumper wrote:I'm sorry, but I can't take the anti-D'antoni posts that constantly bring up Phil seriously. He's not our coach. He won't be. We won't ever know what he'd be able to do with this team. You can bring up his track record, but the fact of the matter is that we have some glaring issues on this roster that have nothing to do with our offensive system, rotations, or defensive schemes. It's obvious that some of you are constantly (and unfairly) comparing what D'antoni's actually doing with this team with some imaginary hypothetical vision of this team that you had when you originally heard we might get Phil.


Seriously it's ridiculous. It's so easy to sit there and act like everything would have been perfect under Phil because of all the wonderful fantasies you draw up in your head because you don't have to worry about any of them ever being being proven wrong. And it's so easy to ridicule D'Antoni because of what has happened so far when the fact is so many of this team's problems go far beyond anything in his control.

Now seriously please stop talking about Phil in this thread. It's pathetic and really annoying. A couple of posters here don't seem to have anything better to do and can't seem to get over it.
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:05 am

^^^Says Mike Brown the Christmas Poo....oh the irony. BTW, where is Joel these days?

MDA was the wrong hire, but heck, my beef isn't even with him. Its management with their lame reasoning for the hire and their "due diligence" to stick it to one of their own.

You have D'Antoni lying on a hospital bed on the other side of the domestic United States and you make the hire at midnight without meeting with him in person and "poopooing" on an agreement to meet with Phil the following day...all while Bernie is winning you games. Due diligence? More like do delinquence.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13028
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:35 am

One thing is for sure.. We wouldn't be getting THIS much production out of Nash with Phil. He might be playing like Fisher on roids but he wouldn't be as good as he is now. So who steps up to make up for that? Pau? Dwight? Dwight will get better as he gets healthier & he also has no post moves so what exactly would Phil help? but Pau is what he is. He's not going to go back to being the most skilled post player in the league as he was.

With no timetable on Dwight being 100% & Pau being Pau, you want to rely on the post? Ron & Kobe both having great shooting years & haven't been posting up.. The triple post doesn't sound like a great fit for this roster anymore. I'd love to have Phil's leadership & intangibles, but I think the combo of learning a complex system & not fitting it would lead to no more a successful season than we'll get with D'antoni..
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby davriver290 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:43 am

Do you think mixing in a little zone there could possibly help us since we lack the athletic speed of other teams? I mean Dallas pulled it off before several times with success. Or is zone not useful at all for this team?
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
User avatar
davriver290

 
Posts: 5711
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:14 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:55 am

what happened to starting metta for key match ups? should he start against the clips? or come off the bench to try and guard jamal? who guarded him last time we played? i think he didnt shoot too well with whoever was on him
Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:06 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Helljumper wrote:I'm sorry, but I can't take the anti-D'antoni posts that constantly bring up Phil seriously. He's not our coach. He won't be. We won't ever know what he'd be able to do with this team. You can bring up his track record, but the fact of the matter is that we have some glaring issues on this roster that have nothing to do with our offensive system, rotations, or defensive schemes. It's obvious that some of you are constantly (and unfairly) comparing what D'antoni's actually doing with this team with some imaginary hypothetical vision of this team that you had when you originally heard we might get Phil.


Seriously it's ridiculous. It's so easy to sit there and act like everything would have been perfect under Phil because of all the wonderful fantasies you draw up in your head because you don't have to worry about any of them ever being being proven wrong. And it's so easy to ridicule D'Antoni because of what has happened so far when the fact is so many of this team's problems go far beyond anything in his control.

Now seriously please stop talking about Phil in this thread. It's pathetic and really annoying. A couple of posters here don't seem to have anything better to do and can't seem to get over it.


Lakers fans are using every excuse they can to not admit the obvious : a flawed roster which lacks youth , athleticism and speed ...

With MDA as a coach : barely making the playoffs/1st round exit.

With Phil : MAYBE a 2nd round exit .... wow big deal .

This roster isn't championship material regardless of the coach ... I wish more posters would realize it
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6427
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Helljumper on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:07 am

Ariza3 wrote:what happened to starting metta for key match ups? should he start against the clips? or come off the bench to try and guard jamal? who guarded him last time we played? i think he didnt shoot too well with whoever was on him


Yeah ... I still have no idea what D'antoni's doing with the Metta situation. He mentioned that he'd have to start Metta against teams like OKC to guard Durant ... yet he started Morris to guard Melo. Makes no sense.
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14877
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.