Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby RushDelivery on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:10 am

Vasashi17 wrote:Typical D'Antoni, will send shots in the media and then do absolutely nothing about it.

How about putting yourself on blast and deviating from your absolutely ridiculous 8 man rotation to make a point. If you don't like how Kobe is playing...yank him! He's playing on a bad wheel and will play like Kobe if he's on the floor. If you don't believe he is 100%, then yank him and put someone else in.

But of course, he doesn't have the balls to do that....he'll just keep screaming and kicking in the media, till Kobe tells him to sit down...and he will...

MDA isn't the right coach to have in this situation. He's a good coach when he has the right players and they all buy into his system, but with the Lakers he's been taken out of his area of expertise and he is being asked take on tasks he's not well-equipped to handle, such as managing egos and running an offense for an older and slower team.

It also doesn't help that the Lakers lack the cohesion and chemistry necessary on the defensive end to overcome their glaring defensive liabilities resulting from their personnel. No coach can really overcome that, so it'll be up to Mitch to address this off-season.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:31 am

He is absolutely right. There was no effort in the 3rd, we lost that nice lead and I honestly don't think there was anything a coach could do to make these guys listen. It's mind boggling. The defense in the second half was just awful. Everyone is guilty, but he should try to reason with Kobe, if possible. Yes, he's playing on a bad ankle, but if he can't do it, try someone else.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby robKBMJ on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:29 am

Finwë wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 1m
D'Antoni: "We say 'championship' in the huddle. That's laughable. Championship? You got to be kidding me"

Says the coach who's never won a championship.
robKBMJ

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:32 am

Not very many did.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:19 am

RushDelivery wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:Typical D'Antoni, will send shots in the media and then do absolutely nothing about it.

How about putting yourself on blast and deviating from your absolutely ridiculous 8 man rotation to make a point. If you don't like how Kobe is playing...yank him! He's playing on a bad wheel and will play like Kobe if he's on the floor. If you don't believe he is 100%, then yank him and put someone else in.

But of course, he doesn't have the balls to do that....he'll just keep screaming and kicking in the media, till Kobe tells him to sit down...and he will...

MDA isn't the right coach to have in this situation. He's a good coach when he has the right players and they all buy into his system, but with the Lakers he's been taken out of his area of expertise and he is being asked take on tasks he's not well-equipped to handle, such as managing egos and running an offense for an older and slower team.

It also doesn't help that the Lakers lack the cohesion and chemistry necessary on the defensive end to overcome their glaring defensive liabilities resulting from their personnel. No coach can really overcome that, so it'll be up to Mitch to address this off-season.

Good post. Completely agree.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:33 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
RushDelivery wrote:

Good post. Completely agree.

^^ +2.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:51 am

Getting in Kobe's face... guess that's how it's done.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby borri on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:37 pm

robKBMJ wrote:
Finwë wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 1m
D'Antoni: "We say 'championship' in the huddle. That's laughable. Championship? You got to be kidding me"

Says the coach who's never won a championship.

99.9% of NBA fans aren't coaches. 100% of them are right that we aren't a championship team.
borri

Postby Pig Miller on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:47 pm

i've been killing mda all season. didn't like the hire, don't like his style, etc.

however, he earned some respect from me with his statements on this team. it's what we all say as fans, anyone can see that mda is speaking the truth.

this squad has no focus, sad considering the veterans we have on this team. i do think part of it is old legs, it's hard to give 100% effort every second when you don't have the legs.

last night was a disgrace though.
Pig Miller

Postby charvin on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:37 pm

I don't buy the argument that they can't give 100% effort because they don't have the legs part, especially for this game. They had 3 days off when their last game was on Monday.

When I think of old, I think back to the ancient, 07-08 Celtics. The first year of their assembled super team. A majority of their games they held opponents scoring in the 80s while still scoring an average of nearly 100 ppg.

The only explanation I have are the schemes and the coaches that put these schemes in place. Do you have the full respect of your players that, when you say we need to play better defense that they actually listen to you? Thanks to the offensive success D'Antoni has had with the Suns, he's inherited this 'halo effect' where defense is an after thought in the game because the most important thing to him seems like just to score more and he's only mentioning defense when we're suddenly being outscored.

I think this team just absolutely needs to play the grind game. Slow the game down more, but make each possession a quality one. Just my thoughts...

Pig Miller wrote:i've been killing mda all season. didn't like the hire, don't like his style, etc.

however, he earned some respect from me with his statements on this team. it's what we all say as fans, anyone can see that mda is speaking the truth.

this squad has no focus, sad considering the veterans we have on this team. i do think part of it is old legs, it's hard to give 100% effort every second when you don't have the legs.

last night was a disgrace though.
charvin

Postby GoldenKnight on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:34 pm

I liked what D'Antoni said during the post game, I like the fire I saw from him. It finally felt like he was our coach, I hope he went into that locker room & told everybody else the same thing. I just don't think Kobe likes to be told what to do either way but D'Antoni still has to face him. Dwight didn't have a shot in the 4th & was 8/9 the whole game. I don't see why Kobe stopped the ball movement every single time down the floor in the 4th. It was disturbing to see.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:08 pm

He calls out the team for the lack of defense but as Ive said before he either cant or doesn't truly care about getting them to play better defense. Either way, big problem, and while the players should and probably do realize they have to be better defensively, Id imagine Dantoni is one of the last people they wanna hear complain about D when he doesnt coach any.

He complains about the lack of ball movement/shot distribution but then he draws up every out-of-bounds play for the same guy every time out? Stop blowing steam out ya ears and act like a coach.

I thought your post was a little harsh reading it yesterday, but its pretty much true. As Rush pointed out, the coaching tasks where we are most lacking are those that Pringles is weakest in. I think there could be hope for this team defensively though Rush, just that a team with below average defensive personnel paired with a coach thats below average defensively does tend to look like it cant be saved.

Im not even mad tho lol. Just like MWP's guaranteed "WTF!!" moment every game, Ive come to expect this.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:10 am

I would like to know what the exact responsibility of each bump on the log.....errrr.....bench......errrrr....."assistant" coach has been all season long. Since they were kept on and not fired and still are pulling paychecks. Not one one these guys that Brown brought in is a decent defensive coach that can help with ANYTHING in that area?? Eddie Jordan just looks pissed all the time that he even has to be there. :disagree:
LTLakerFan

Postby Tragic on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:46 pm

So we had success with Pau coming off the bench because he is not a shooter. He cannot be effective on the perimeter, period. That ship has sailed a long time ago and I don't understand what compelled D'antoni to put him back in the starting lineup.

If it wasn't working with Pau in shape and not coming off an injury then why the [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] would it work with him coming off of a plantar fascia tear? Earl Clark who can knock down the perimeter shot with a much more efficient rate than Pau needs to be in the starting lineup.

Pau's value on defense is his height that might bother some players who drive in on him he is not a shot blocker. Earl's value on defense is much higher. He has actual lateral quickness and can be a help defender.

The too long didn't read version: PAU OFF THE BENCH D'ANTONI
Tragic

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Pau starting had nothing to do with the team turning it over non stop and not playing a lick of defense on the perimeter

Reach more guys
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:21 pm

I like Pau starting, but mostly as a tool to get him into shape quicker & light a fire under Clark. Once Pau is in shape he'll be back to helping us win big games.. Earl has to compete with Pau/Tawn for minutes now so hopefully the hunger will lead to him playing like he was before.
lakersin4

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:57 am

Ok, team f***** up. Fine.

But why isn't this any of MDA's fault?
Chillbongo

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 am

Chillbongo wrote:Ok, team f***** up. Fine.

Team was up 18 why should this be the coach's fault? He didn't order them to stop playing with heart & determination. They themselves said they were complacent with the lead & therefore lost the game.
D'Antoni gets no praise when they win but boy does he get it when they lose, that's unfair.

GoldenKnight

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11 am

I will say this though, Earl Clark has been there for us during all this time hustling & playing solid & suddenly he falls out of the rotation only playing 7 min? That is unacceptable D'Antoni has to figure something out there. Also I would rather play Blake at the 2 to close the game than Meeks, that guy can't shoot to save his life after he misses his 1st.

GoldenKnight

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:36 am

GoldenKnight wrote:

Team was up 18 why should this be the coach's fault? He didn't order them to stop playing with heart & determination. They themselves said they were complacent with the lead & therefore lost the game.
D'Antoni gets no praise when they win but boy does he get it when they lose, that's unfair.

Well if anything that's consistent.

I mean, through our recent wins post AS weekend, we've had other-worldly play from Kobe. Dwight has picked his game up because he's healthier. And our bench is hitting 3's. Jamison and Blake have fed off each other very well. Jamison has also been key for us getting easy buckets. Players playing extremely well, we win. But should we be losing when a couple guys have a sub par game? Not with this roster. Not with this roster.

Really, that has nothing to do with MDA's game plan or coaching. He still pissed me off in the Wizards game because he doesn't call timeouts well. We should have had one at the end (not that we should've even been in that position), and there were several times throughout the Wizards run where he watched them score possession after possession with no adjustments. Even when he did call a TO, it went back to Kobe iso. He should've drawn a damn play. Oh yeah, I don't know if he has to balls to coach Kobe or coaches defense either, because Ariza was open every damn near time.
Chillbongo

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 am

"We don't have to be one-player dominant," D'Antoni said. "The ball has to move, and when it does, we're really good."

D'Antoni said this not one week ago...yet green lights a 4th quarter where we are one-player dominant. Then takes zero blame for it in the postgame presser and instead decides to chastise Kobe again.

Funny thing is that D'Antoni's genius stems off of being one-player dominant. Without Nash, the Sun's offense was a hot mess. When he first got here and with Nash out, D'Antoni kept preaching that the return of Nash would resolve alot of issues.

Dude is a hypocrite and a coward. He's already gone back on his word time and time again, lets just hope he sticks true to the script and ducks out of LA the same way he did in NY.

I have zero faith in our chances with this guy leading the team.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:08 pm

So D'Antoni was asked if he meant Bryant when he went on about his Friday postgame tirade about leaving players open looks. He took the easy out saying it was everyone including him along with the coaching staff for not making adjustments.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:39 pm

+1. I like that he got pissed and called (Kobe and whoever else responsible) out. (If you're guilty you know who you are) But yeah, he has no problem calling time outs, which I like.....so how about putting a stop to it then and there before it was too late. No Sac.
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 pm

gcclaker wrote:So D'Antoni was asked if he meant Bryant when he went on about his Friday postgame tirade about leaving players open looks. He took the easy out saying it was everyone including him along with the coaching staff for not making adjustments.

As expected. I'm indifferent to 'Antoni right now, I do not put the Washington loss on him like I did the Phoenix loss. Kobe played terrible defense Friday though, and IMO the coach should have called him out for it if that's who he was talking about, which he clearly was from his Friday postgame. If you want Kobe to stop roaming and stay with his man, I don't know, maybe TELL him to stop roaming and stay with his man or even call him out in the media for it. If he doesn't stop, oh well, you're right back where you were, at least you tried. If there's no room for error here, if every player is supposedly held accountable the same way, if Kobe is highly paid to have most of the pressure on him, put it all out there IMO, tell him to stay with his man, especially when his man is bombing wide open 3's.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Weezy wrote:
gcclaker wrote:So D'Antoni was asked if he meant Bryant when he went on about his Friday postgame tirade about leaving players open looks. He took the easy out saying it was everyone including him along with the coaching staff for not making adjustments.

As expected. I'm indifferent to 'Antoni right now, I do not put the Washington loss on him like I did the Phoenix loss. Kobe played terrible defense Friday though, and IMO the coach should have called him out for it if that's who he was talking about, which he clearly was from his Friday postgame. If you want Kobe to stop roaming and stay with his man, I don't know, maybe TELL him to stop roaming and stay with his man or even call him out in the media for it. If he doesn't stop, oh well, you're right back where you were, at least you tried. If there's no room for error here, if every player is supposedly held accountable the same way, if Kobe is highly paid to have most of the pressure on him, put it all out there IMO, tell him to stay with his man, especially when his man is bombing wide open 3's.

D'Antoni's frustration boiled over and spilled out... He was clearly upset BUT he is cognizant enough not to throw the franchise player under the bus then have the media have a field day about it. He wasn't about to give them the controversial "storyline" they are seeking. D'Antoni neither has the cache and stones to pull it off like Jackson or Riley. I would think he discussed it with Bryant during the following practice afterwards. If not, then he will not have the respect of Bryant or for that matter the whole squad.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard