Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambo! (130)

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:34 pm

Wait, are you replying to me, V? If so I'm not defending 'Antoni, I want him gone after this season still, he's not a coach to lead a team to a title IMO. I'm simply trying to make the best of the situation and find some entertainment value, because he is here to stay for this season. We aren't going to win anything shooting so many threes, I agree, and no team that plays this style does win, but we've chosen our path for this season, ride it out for the 2014 free agency, hopefully find a real coach for the future.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby ElginTheGreat on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:40 pm

Double post..
Last edited by ElginTheGreat on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElginTheGreat

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:40 pm

therealdeal wrote:Like I've been saying with a few other guys here (karacha comes immediately to mind) say what you want about D'Antoni, but this team is built perfectly for what he wants. Young bodies, athletic guys, green lights for all of them. One-on-one scorers and hard workers abound with floor spacers... It's a D'Antoni team for sure.

This is the kind of basketball we're going to see a lot of this season. Exciting. Not always winning, but exciting.

And as I said, before, I don't totally agree that this team is perfectly built for him at all. Look at the starting unit. And add Kobe and they just get older in that department.

The bench, YES. Absolutely. They sure are. Except for Wes.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby ElginTheGreat on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:I see everything wrong in playing this way. Or are 3 airballs coming from a young'n in the playoffs, not convincing enough? Had Kobe just pushed the pedal to the metal and gone 48 mins. right out the gate, he would have flamed out a long time ago and he wouldn't be the champion he is today.

He even had a chance to go up and down and 3ball away with Rudy T at the helm, but outright demanded that the more methodical triangle come back.

You grow youth that way....the right way....otherwise, you're just wasting talent and their potential. MDA makes for exciting basketball, but frankly parades and putting up the Clips 7th and 8th man to cover the rafters, excites me more.

Its a waste of god damn time, to be honest....but hey, different strokes for different folks.

I think its safe to say everyone prefers to win titles and share the same concerns about D'Antoni. That said, tonight was a great win for this team and the fanbase.

Yes, it is just one win and i see this team being pretty up and down until we settle on a rotation and Kobe comes back. That said, everyone NEEDED something to get excited about and something to help us start moving forward from the last few seasons. It was fun to watch and the energy and chemistry of this team is undeniable. We arent contenders but I honestly think we are heading in the right direction. Have felt that way since we brought in all the young games after That Guy bailed.
ElginTheGreat

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Waste of time? Not a chance. This brand of basketball is exciting and attractive and brings FAs here. This is perfect for rebuilding and perfect for this team.

And does it burn players out? Only if your team isn't deep. Nash ran this system for how long?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Crap. I have to give this guy some credit. If what he really needed was a roster full of players to run this type of offense, then credit due. I know it was just one game, but the spacing, screen roll, and ball movement was great. I thought he did a great job of riding our hot players and not sticking to a set rotation.

The thing is we aren't always going to hit those threes. I thought we did a nice job of going to Pau to start the game, which led to us getting into a rhythm and flow on offense. I hope that, if our 3 ball aint dropping, MDA switches up the game plan and lets the ball move through Pau, or run a Pau/Nash pick n roll offense, etc. Props to him for this one.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
And as I said, before, I don't totally agree that this team is perfectly built for him at all. Look at the starting unit. And add Kobe and they just get older in that department.

The bench, YES. Absolutely. They sure are. Except for Wes.

Just because Gasol and Kobe aren't exactly runners, doesn't mean the system doesn't work for them. In fact I think Gasol makes this system intensely versatile. Is he a run and gun guy? No, but not everyone has to be.

This team fits D'Antoni's system about as well as can be expected without blowing up the previous team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:Waste of time? Not a chance. This brand of basketball is exciting and attractive and brings FAs here. This is perfect for rebuilding and perfect for this team.

And does it burn players out? Only if your team isn't deep. Nash ran this system for how long?

No Weez, my post was for this guy right here...haha.

Seriously, I agree that the fanbase needs to unify again and have a good time. But I just find it hard to do with a guy that you know wants a championship so badly, but isn't really given a fair chance with the style and concept we have now adopted.

This right here is fun to watch, but in the postseason, its all for naught. And as long as you got the Bean on this team, you need to fight for a title....otherwise, it is a waste.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Waste of time? Not a chance. This brand of basketball is exciting and attractive and brings FAs here. This is perfect for rebuilding and perfect for this team.

No Weez, my post was for this guy right here...haha.

Seriously, I agree that the fanbase needs to unify again and have a good time. But I just find it hard to do with a guy that you know wants a championship so badly, but isn't really given a fair chance with the style and concept we have now adopted.

This right here is fun to watch, but in the postseason, its all for naught. And as long as you got the Bean on this team, you need to fight for a title....otherwise, it is a waste.

Is that really something we can expect though? Heck Kobe hasn't played a single minute yet for us. It's not totally unreasonable to expect that he isn't the same payer he was before. It's not unreasonable to expect that he maybe can't be the best player on our team any more.

If that's the case, we need to do something that draws attention and that people can get excited about. Who knows? If these young guys can pick up some consistency along the way, maybe we make a good playoff push. That's not out of the realm of possibility either.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GNC on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:00 am

Fantastic point. I am fairly certain that some of our young guys who we are praising right now would not have signed here if we were in the triangle. Farmar basically said as much in his interview (about the triangle and how he could not initiate the offense etc etc).

This is not to say we made the right choice hiring MDA over Phil.. but that ship has sailed. MDA is here now and deserves a fair shot with a roster that aligns with his style.
GNC

Postby John3:16 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:01 am

therealdeal wrote: It's not unreasonable to expect that he maybe can't be the best player on our team any more.

I don't see anyone on the roster that will be all star, let alone take Kobe's spot as the best on the team.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:03 am

John3:16 wrote:
therealdeal wrote: It's not unreasonable to expect that he maybe can't be the best player on our team any more.

I don't see anyone on the roster that will be all star, let alone take Kobe's spot as the best on the team.

I meant maybe Kobe can't be the best player on a Championship contender. Even on one leg he's better than anyone on this roster. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:05 am

GNC wrote:

Fantastic point. I am fairly certain that some of our young guys who we are praising right now would not have signed here if we were in the triangle. Farmar basically said as much in his interview (about the triangle and how he could not initiate the offense etc etc).

This is not to say we made the right choice hiring MDA over Phil.. but that ship has sailed. MDA is here now and deserves a fair shot with a roster that aligns with his style.

Farmar, Nick Young, and Wesley Johnson all intimated that D'Antoni's system was a big part of their decision to sign here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:08 am

^^ Farmar of those three really looks like he belongs. He's a nice fit for D' Antoni and just what Mike D needs actually: a fearless PG who will push the ball, knock down open shots and just orchestrate it all out there.

I think Nick looks lost out there with the starters much of the time. Wes is not a great fit for Mike D.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:11 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ Farmar of those three really looks like he belongs. He's a nice fit for D' Antoni and just what Mike D needs actually: a fearless PG who will push the ball, knock down open shots and just orchestrate it all out there.

I think Nick looks lost out there with the starters much of the time. Wes is not a great fit for Mike D.

I had hoped Wes worked more on jumper, but so far I agree with you. I think Nick is an alright fit, he's just a streaky shooter/scorer. He's going to have some nights like this out there... I think he fits better with the bench guys though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:13 am

therealdeal wrote:
John3:16 wrote:

I meant maybe Kobe can't be the best player on a Championship contender. Even on one leg he's better than anyone on this roster. :man10:

Okay, gotcha. I think it'll be a fun year watching this team, but like Vash said, it's not the style (recipe) for success in the playoffs. I am really interested to see what we do with free agency next year and what Kobe will sign for. And I agree with you -- I think we may see Kobe not as the best player if we're going for a title in the next 2 - 3 years.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:14 am

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:^^ Farmar of those three really looks like he belongs. He's a nice fit for D' Antoni and just what Mike D needs actually: a fearless PG who will push the ball, knock down open shots and just orchestrate it all out there.

I had hoped Wes worked more on jumper, but so far I agree with you. I think Nick is an alright fit, he's just a streaky shooter/scorer. He's going to have some nights like this out there... I think he fits better with the bench guys though.

I agree with you completely. And that's why I keep saying, when Kobe returns, Henry should start at the 3 and be developed at that position for next year and beyond. Nick Young is a bench scorer. That's what he's always been good at.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:17 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I agree with you completely. And that's why I keep saying, when Kobe returns, Henry should start at the 3 and be developed at that position for next year and beyond. Nick Young is a bench scorer. That's what he's always been good at.

That makes some sense. Unless the Lakers have plans to go get another SF this summer so they don't need to groom a starting one... *cough* Carmelo *cough* :man9:

Also, I'd like to see more proof first before I give it to him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:20 am

The bench players attacked the Clippers in transition...the same mentality they did to us last year. Farmar, Henry...even Meeks. Farmar kept pressure on Paul by keeping his dribble alive. The ball moved on offense unlike last year when World Peace and Howard held it for several seconds waiting for the defense to commit then put up clankers on perimeter shots and up close shots. Tonight won't be replicated a majority of the time this season but the instincts and effort to play unselfish basketball will give them a fighting chance.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:24 am

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

That makes some sense. Unless the Lakers have plans to go get another SF this summer so they don't need to groom a starting one... *cough* Carmelo *cough* :man9:

Also, I'd like to see more proof first before I give it to him.

If they do go after Melo - which I think they might - he won't be playing the three. He'll be the 4 in Mike D's system. They will still be wanting to develop Henry for the SF role.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:32 am

I don't see Melo coming here if 'Antoni is still here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:44 am

It's fun to bag on MDA and to say his style can't win in the playoffs, but realistically he was just one dirty Robert Horry hip check away from winning a title with this very same style of play. So don't say this style can't possibly win it all. Of course the talent has to be there too. And remember a substantial part of the league has moved closer to how he coaches.

That said, it's only one game and it's a long season. I remember being impressed when Van Exel came right out of the gate in his very first game as a Laker, yet the team fell down after that and finished with its worst record of that decade. It will help a lot if the deep rotation continues though as the team has 19 back to backs this season including the first one right now, that's nearly half the regular season schedule right there.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 am

Lakerjones wrote:If they do go after Melo - which I think they might - he won't be playing the three. He'll be the 4 in Mike D's system. They will still be wanting to develop Henry for the SF role.

Weezy wrote:I don't see Melo coming here if 'Antoni is still here.

I think we can Weez and we'll just see one of those "it was overblown how we argued" things. It depends on how fun this team ends up being and how successful they are honestly. I wouldn't be surprised at all if/when D'Antoni gets the ax, but if this team overachieves don't be surprised if he stays either.

If Henry doesn't quite fit with Kobe then he's DEFINITELY not going to fit with Kobe AND Melo... Not enough basketballs for 3 ball-dominant scorers. Henry would for sure be a great piece off the bench for that squad. I liked the James Harden-lite comparison. Harden for OKC created a huge problem for other teams.

Not that Xavier is there just yet, but as a Harden-esque player I think the parallel makes a little sense.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:29 am

Was I the only one who seemed to think, grant it I only PHYSICALLY watched the 4th quarter of the game, that this team just seemed to be having fun and goofying around a little bit but it was working in the style they played. Like Hill laughing at himself and everything. They seemed to have fun and play and everything worked out.

Maybe the pressure for them to win being off them, per se, and the super low expectations are working for them to just play as they can and have fun and everything.

I hope they really play like that a lot, because we for sure will get far this season which would be great to see since Kobe is hurt and we don't know when he'll be back.
The Laker Link

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:45 am

A recurring theme in this off-season/ training camp/ pre-season has been the improved chemistry of the team. They're not just tolerating each other, they're enjoying each other's company.

This is the kind of team we should get used to off the bench.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard