Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambo! (130)

Postby Toklat on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:07 am

This Laker team is versatile. Why not run and hit the long ball when it is there? We have guys that can break down defenses and create when its not there. A strength of this team is the ability to adapt to almost any situation. The exciting thing to think about when Kobe gets back and if we stay reasonably healthy is that we may be good enough to impose our will and game on most teams. I don't think this win was an aberration and fully expect to beat them again next time. MD changed his coaching style last year when things weren't going well. He is a better coach than when he first arrived and he has a great staff. I like what he has done.
Toklat

Postby BDG on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:07 am

I gotta give Mike props for calling that timeout after we fell down 8 to start the third quarter.

We came out with absolutely no energy and he chewed them out in that timeout. I think after that timeout, we completely turned it around (and went on a 9-0 run of our own if I remember right).
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JLaker17 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:12 am

The line up that closed the game yesterday is perfect for MDA's style of offense. The best thing about that line up isn't even that though. It is how active they are, especially on defense. The players were flying around, doubling when needed, rotating perfectly. It was just great to watch. The chemistry of the team yesterday was just amazing. I am trying not to get too excited about just one game, but if the bench can play at half that level every game we will be in pretty good shape going forward.
JLaker17

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:13 am

BDG wrote:I gotta give Mike props for calling that timeout after we fell down 8 to start the third quarter.

We came out with absolutely no energy and he chewed them out in that timeout. I think after that timeout, we completely turned it around (and went on a 9-0 run of our own if I remember right).

That was my favorite part as well.

He expects a lot from this young group, rather than the older group he had last year.

The energy has to be there, it's how we're going to win games this season.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby jlkr on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Takes a lot of energy to play this way at both ends. So 11 man rotation is a very good thing especially when looking at all those back to backs during the season. Best thing I liked about last night's box score? Nobody played more than Farmar's 27 minutes and Henry's 26. Nobody. So the team should have some energy left for playing GS tonight. If this is how MDA intends to dole out minutes all year long, then I think playoffs are very possible with the old guys still healthy then. Of course that assumes Kobe comes back by Christmas or so.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby sister golden hair on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:55 pm

jlkr wrote:Takes a lot of energy to play this way at both ends. So 11 man rotation is a very good thing especially when looking at all those back to backs during the season. Best thing I liked about last night's box score? Nobody played more than Farmar's 27 minutes and Henry's 26. Nobody. So the team should have some energy left for playing GS tonight. If this is how MDA intends to dole out minutes all year long, then I think playoffs are very possible with the old guys still healthy then. Of course that assumes Kobe comes back by Christmas or so.

I think tonite shows that back to backs are tough regardless. They looked several steps slow all game long against GS.
sister golden hair

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby jlkr on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:05 pm

They ran into a buzzsaw tonight as well.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby TheOp on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:40 am

Starting Blake at the 2.

I hope this stupidity doesnt last all season.
TheOp

Postby MC on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:03 am

Vasashi17 wrote:Expect championships and play for them every year, especially if you have a generational player on your roster...

Otherwise, what's the point?

Vash ..... that's unrealistic............ more idealism than reality.

The only goal should be to consistently have a direction and the right direction.

That's where MDA is not a good fit anywhere in the league...

all this fast paced fantasy sport stuff people have bought into is all over sports in every sport.....

IMO they are all gimmicks to compensate for the right parts....... fine if you do it when you don't have the parts but horribly wrong to build toward it likes it's the right method lol.

MDA is to basketball what a Chip Kelly is to football and their philosophy IMO is flawed

It's like what a guy that buys a fast sports car to overcompensate for his manhood is to a guy that just knows how...............

it's what over-aggression is to fighting instead of the philosophy of calm .............

it's why it don't work in the long run in all sports but the fantasy stat guys love to watch..........

stat guys are the overcompensation to actual knowledge IMO..... very few that are evenly balanced .......though I have net stat guys that actually use the stat to actually back the inner subtleties they are trying to explain...just rare, that's all.

Now I'm sure I'm going to get toasted for this opinion however lol
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:34 pm

TheOp wrote:Starting Blake at the 2.

I hope this stupidity doesnt last all season.

I would rather play an injured Kobe at 2 then watch Blake at 2 anymore.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby sister golden hair on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Mike seems to be one of those coaches who may value showing everyone how smart he is (by doing the unexpected) more than doing the most logical (proven) thing in a given game or situation. Some of his strategic and tactical choices are just head scratchers.
sister golden hair

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:21 pm

getting outhustled on the boards, doesnt put in our biggest hustle player jordan hill until the 4th quarter
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby karacha on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Play young guys, sit Nash, don't play Blake much at the 2. It's not that complicated. Give Hill some minutes to energize the team. He gets us second opportunities.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby sister golden hair on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 pm

This team will be lucky to be .500 for the season.

If MDA is here next year, prepare for nuclear winter.
sister golden hair

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Not a fan. But you guys already know that. He didn't help tonight with some of his rotation decisions.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:28 pm

It's like he's purposely tanking by playing Nash/Blake/Young together and then tonight putting the crappy starters back in when the bench pushed the lead to double digits.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lotus on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:32 pm

Is he still trying to find the rotations? I hope so because the starting rotation is not working so well, and I don't know what the hell he's doing otherwise excpt for the energy unit.

This is the wrong thread for this, but for god's sake Nash, retire already. You are too old! Stop hogging a roster spot.
lotus

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:33 pm

He still isn't aware of the mismatches at the 4

Wesley got burned twice in the post by Diaw and the 3rd time we were lucky Marco missed a wide open 3

You cant get away with this in close games
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 12m
D’Antoni said his focus is on deciding on a rotation ASAP. Wants to get Hill more minutes while still getting Kaman on the floor.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

Is it really that hard?

Hill (28) / Williams (15) / Kaman (5)
Pau (30) / Kaman (18)

I did that in 3 seconds. Give me another 3 seconds to write that Wesley should be playing at the 3 exclusively. You tried it, it failed, God gave you a brain, 1 + 1 = 2.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:47 pm

wesley johnson isnt a power forward. minutes problem solved.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:49 pm

What was the point of benching Hill in the first half?

Unbelievable.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
D’Antoni said his focus is on deciding on a rotation ASAP. Wants to get Hill more minutes while still getting Kaman on the floor.

Is it really that hard?

Pau (30) / Kaman (18)

I did that in 3 seconds. Give me another 3 seconds to write that Wesley should be playing at the 3 exclusively. You tried it, it failed, God gave you a brain, 1 + 1 = 2.

:man10: It really shouldn't be rocket science. Nice job Doc.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Playing Wesley at the 4 is absurd and if he still hasn't noticed then he's dumber than I thought.
XXIV

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Not even a shot attempt on that last drawn up play...awesome.

#GuessHeNeedsAnotherTrainingCamp
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby sister golden hair on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:59 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

Is it really that hard?

Pau (30) / Kaman (18)

Quite right.

I have a hard time seeing why MDA has any support, among the fans, the players or the FO. He's just not a very good coach, and exhibits a terrible combination of traits -- not that smart and very stubborn.
sister golden hair

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard