Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Postby sister golden hair on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Finally, the bleeding has stopped .. for the moment.

What a relief. I stopped watching the games altogether by mid-season because of that clown, and was fully prepared not to watch at all next season if he was still on the bench. Just a ghastly tenure all around.

I would stay away from Vogel. His team melted down toward the end of the RS and is not setting the world on fire in the PS. They seem depleted which suggests that Vogel overplayed key players during the RS to get that HC advantage. How's that working out so far?

I'd pass on Kerr, as well. I think he'll follow PJ anyways. He seems like a very nice guy, but I felt that his tenure as GM in Phoenix was troubled. he didn't last long and it never felt like he had the hunger for the day-to-day requirements of the job. He seems happy as a broadcaster. Would he want to get into the grind of coaching? Maybe he has his ducks lined up and really wants the gig, in which case, I'm sure he
'll talk to Mitch and Jim. But I'd love to see some proof that he even truly wants the gig. If he wanted to coach you'd think he'd have done some coaching by now. I'm sure he's had numerous opportunities. I'd love to see the Triangle brought back, though, for reasons I discuss below regarding team culture and philosophy.

Hollins seems like the best bet. He's a hard-nosed guy, is a disciple of Jack Ramsey (played for him in Portland) and seems to have the respect of his players. I think he's the kind of no none-sense guy that kobe can bond with. he knew how to work with talented bigs in Memphis, too (shopuld Pau stick around).

Guys like Sloan or Larry Brown won't be up for the grind. SVG is interesting because I think he has the media skils that would play in LA. But, criminey, that screeching voice of his is hard to take for five minutes,let alone an 82 game RS plus PS.

JVG: Pass. Horribly over-rated and also tends to run a prehistoric offense. His rep as a coach was, IMO, built on the back of Thibbs in Houston.

Thibbs would be my choice over Hollins, but I don't think he'll want to leave Chicago.

B. Scott: I just don't think he's very good. Word out of New Jersey when he was HC is that he wasn't great at preparation and relied a lot on rhetoric, which wore thin after awhile. The assistants did a lot of the hands on. I've never felt strongly about B. Scott as a coach. great player, though.

George Karl: good coach. UNC alum so you know Mitch will inquire. But ... there's always something missing with Karl. His teams -- even when he's had talent -- always seem to come-up short. he seems to tighten up a lot in the PS.

There are probably some great assistants on the cusp in the league who would do a great job if given the chance, but I doubt Jim Buss goes for an unknown. His tendency is to go after a name, no matter how mismatched to the situation or personnel at hand. Thus, stay away from a gimmick like the the Duke coach.

For what it's worth, the organization needs an overhaul from the ground up. The developmental staff needs an upgrade as well. I don't get the vibe that there is a solid philosophy and direction guiding the decision-making. It feels very ad hoc.

I do think they need to chose a guy who can come in and instill an attitude, philosophy and system, and as long as the team is improving, stick with him. Going for a "name" guy and hoping for a quick turnaround (while everything else remains the same) is just asking for more disappointment.

SGH
Last edited by sister golden hair on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sister golden hair

Postby XXIV on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm very glad he's gone, I honestly thought we might be bringing him back next season. With the current list of coaches available my top choices would be Stan Van Gundy, George Karl, and Lionel Hollins. Third time's the charm. :man1:
XXIV

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:52 pm

yes... to the GARBAGE with this! :jam2:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Alleyhoops on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Watch Scottie Brooks get canned after the Thunder get bumped and JBuss immediately hire him.
Alleyhoops

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:02 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne · 24h
Lakers agreed to pay DAntoni more than half of the $4 million he was owed for next season, according to a source.

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan · 26h
More clarification: As part of his resignation, D'Antoni will receive less than half of the $4 million he would have made next season.

One says more than half; one says less; either way, at least HE'S GONE.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby gcclaker on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Well...just turned on the PC and saw the headlines. D'Antoni tried to force his hand instead with the option request intead of trying to earn the job. It backfired on him. His philosophy just did not fit with the personnel.

With regards to Johnson's comments...as a dignified sports icon of his stature he's better than that and did not expect that sort of thing from him. But whatever...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:25 pm

Barnstable wrote:I take a nap and wake up to the glory of a new Laker day!!!!

THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!!! :bow: :bow:

I just woke from a nap too, began to study for a final, opened up my email and saw one of the top stories was that MDA resigned. I yelled out, "HELL YES" all my roommates were like WTF is going on :man10:

:jam2: What a great day, that sound we all hear is the big sigh..... LA Lakers fans just let out.

As of right now after reading through all the pages on this thread since hearing this wonderful news the two coaches I would be okay with the most are 1) Hollins 2) Kerr.

Obviously, I would love Thibs but that just ain't going to happen.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby TIME on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:26 pm

I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 pm

Barnstable wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:
Mike Trudell: The Lakers declined to pick up the option year (2015-16) on Mike D’Antoni’s contract, as D’Antoni and his agent had requested. D’Antoni met with Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss at the team’s facility, where the conversation resulting in D’Antoni resigning took place.

Fantastic!!! That means that it wasn't Pringle's decision really. The FO didn't budge on an extension as they shouldn't have :bow:

Also, for all the Mitch detractors, we don't really know where Mitch fell on the extension, so it might have been Mitch that said no, might have been Jimmy, might have been both!

Or the "Laker Girl" :man1:

JK
LTLakerFan

Postby The Laker Link on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:56 pm

Kerr would be interesting.
Scott wouldn't be shocking and would be nice.
Either/Both Van Gundys would be an upgrade.
Thibs would be cool, probably wouldn't be overly joyed.
Ollie would be gutsy but rad.

Everyone else would be surprising.
The Laker Link

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:02 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:Watch Scottie Brooks get canned after the Thunder get bumped and JBuss immediately hire him.

That wouldn't be a bad idea either. Look how far KD, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka have come since their rookie years? We're not winning a championship anytime soon might as well have a fun college atmosphere to our team and bring in someone who has a track record of developing rookies into major nba players

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Somewhere today Kobe bent forward a bit with one bicep and forearm at 45 degrees and clenched his fist in classic Kobe fashion. And the molten yellow death glare from his eyes went out….. for now. :mhihi:

:kobe2:
LTLakerFan

Postby Barnstable on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:08 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
Barnstable wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:
Mike Trudell: The Lakers declined to pick up the option year (2015-16) on Mike D’Antoni’s contract, as D’Antoni and his agent had requested. D’Antoni met with Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss at the team’s facility, where the conversation resulting in D’Antoni resigning took place.

Fantastic!!! That means that it wasn't Pringle's decision really. The FO didn't budge on an extension as they shouldn't have :bow:

Also, for all the Mitch detractors, we don't really know where Mitch fell on the extension, so it might have been Mitch that said no, might have been Jimmy, might have been both!

Or the "Laker Girl" :man1:

JK

Actually it could have been her. She might have said no to an extension when everyone else said yes. As Jeanie said, she dies have final say.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:10 pm

The Rock wrote:
Alleyhoops wrote:Watch Scottie Brooks get canned after the Thunder get bumped and JBuss immediately hire him.

That wouldn't be a bad idea either. Look how far KD, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka have come since their rookie years? We're not winning a championship anytime soon might as well have a fun college atmosphere to our team and bring in someone who has a track record of developing rookies into major nba players

Not sure if serious. :man3: He's getting cracked on here big time for his lack of any down low game and relying on basically ISOs. Wesbrook, Ibaka, Harden, Durant all would have developed into NBA players regardless.
LTLakerFan

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:16 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Not sure if serious. :man3: He's getting cracked on here big time for his lack of any down low game and relying on basically ISOs. Wesbrook, Ibaka, Harden, Durant all would have developed into NBA players regardless.

I dont' care if they woud've but his finger prints are all over their player development. I want a coach who can do that and then we can look for a championship caliber coach. No coach we bring in is gonna turn this roster to a title contender next year or the year after. I dont want a disgruntled rookie/franchise player

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:19 pm

You don't want a pissed off Kobe Bryant either. This team needs a fully competent coach. The quest for a ring again starts now. He's still the MVP of the team and its driving, competitive force. The coach needs to be up for that as well.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:23 pm

Whoever the Lakers choose as the next coach, I just want them to take their time and get it right. There's no rush now, we aren't 5 games into the regular season. Don't hire the first guy you interview, look for the right fit, hopefully a long-term fit. It will be hard to do worse than 'Antoni, but a lateral move is possible IMO, please don't do that.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 pm

I wasn't really for canning D'antoni but I'm not against it either.. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out.. He had lost the majority of the players & the fans wanted him gone, it was going to be an uphill battle. I'm guessing they give the job to Byron Scott because of his ties to the organization, his early mentorship of Kobe, & his close relationship with Kyrie could make increase our odds of pulling off a draft day trade for Irving.
LakersN4

Postby revgen on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:35 pm

Marc J. Spears: Former NBA coach Stan Van Gundy is not expected to pursue the Lakers coach opening, a source said.

That doesn't mean he's not interested. He's just not desperate. Afterall, we fired 2 coaches in 3 years and our roster is in limbo with only 3 players guaranteed to be here next season.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:40 pm

I'm waiting for knowing the next hire before celebrating .... Lakers organization has a history of bad hires in the coaching department .
wcsoldier81

Postby Armani on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:58 pm

Nick Young's statement at the end of his TMZ report a couple weeks ago had me wondering... "It''s a shame what happened to D'Antoni". He talked about it like it were a thing of the past. The players might've known this for some time.

Ah well, so glad to have this dude gone. That's twice you've messed up... now hire a guy that can coach. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Armani

Postby KB24 on Thu May 01, 2014 12:26 am

Having the audacity to ask/push for the 4th year option of the Lakers and then resigning when they decline proves that he is a fool.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby kenzo on Thu May 01, 2014 12:37 am

Great news to start the day :jam2:
Now, let's do it right this time... Van Gundy brothers would be my choice... just no new Mike's please :man9:
kenzo

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu May 01, 2014 12:53 am

As I said in the "Who should be the Lakers Next Coach" thread I really like the idea of us strongly considering going to Fisher.

Like many members here have already said, I do really want us to take our time, interview as many people as possibly, and hire someone not just for the short term but mainly for the long term. Think potential....
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Center Court on Thu May 01, 2014 1:06 am

KB24 wrote:Having the audacity to ask/push for the 4th year option of the Lakers and then resigning when they decline proves that he is a fool.

He did this on purpose. IMO, MDA is a really savvy guy in the business sense. He knew damn well he was getting canned either this summer or latest next and played that card to force the team to say no and then he can resign versus get fired.

Helps us out from having fired yet another coach.
Center Court

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard