Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu May 01, 2014 1:17 am

Another good news related to this is Steve Crap will likely be buried at the end of bench by our next coach ...
wcsoldier81

Postby jlkr on Thu May 01, 2014 1:25 am

yippee!!!!!

Now back to reality. Lakers are not championship contenders and in all likelihood, probably won't be until after Kobe retires, assuming Kobe retires after this last contract.

Whoever comes in as coach is going to have be okay with being part of a rebuilding.

I think the big names all pass on this, they'd rather ride a team with real potential for achievement. That's not the Lakers today. Scott might take the job to rehab his image, but I really don't want him. Fisher is a stretch, word is he'd rather be a front office guy. Brooks is intriguing, but I think he moves over to another playoff team that fires its coach, perhaps the Pacers?

They go for an assistant or lesser known college coach (like Boston did). Kobe will have to understand how it is.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby TheOp on Thu May 01, 2014 1:33 am

jlkr wrote:yippee!!!!!

Now back to reality. Lakers are not championship contenders and in all likelihood, probably won't be until after Kobe retires, assuming Kobe retires after this last contract.

I wish people would stop saying that. We could potentially add 3 solid players to our lineup next season, along with Kobe coming back. 2 from free agency and 1 from the draft. Dont make me throw my pipe dreams at you.
TheOp

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu May 01, 2014 1:43 am

Whoever comes in as coach is going to have be okay with being part of a rebuilding.

I think the big names all pass on this, they'd rather ride a team with real potential for achievement. That's not the Lakers today. Scott might take the job to rehab his image, but I really don't want him. Fisher is a stretch, word is he'd rather be a front office guy. Brooks is intriguing, but I think he moves over to another playoff team that fires its coach, perhaps the Pacers?

They go for an assistant or lesser known college coach (like Boston did). Kobe will have to understand how it is.

too bad we missed on Clifford after firing Mike Clown
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu May 01, 2014 1:45 am

TheOp wrote:

I wish people would stop saying that. We could potentially add 3 solid players to our lineup next season, along with Kobe coming back. 2 from free agency and 1 from the draft. Dont make me throw my pipe dreams at you.

The way the West is loaded , keep dreaming ... Lakers next title will happen at the very end of the current decade at best ... in the next decade most likely
wcsoldier81

Postby TheOp on Thu May 01, 2014 1:49 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
TheOp wrote:

The way the West is loaded , keep dreaming ... Lakers next title will happen at the very end of the current decade at best ... in the next decade most likely

You probably said the same thing in 07 before we got Pau.
TheOp

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu May 01, 2014 2:11 am

Well had MDA returned this would have been my reaction:

Warning: Contains strong Language from a Parrot
Spoiler:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu May 01, 2014 2:19 am

TheOp wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
TheOp wrote:

Kobe was the best player in the NBA back then ...
wcsoldier81

Postby bystander on Thu May 01, 2014 2:47 am

Nice.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby abeer3 on Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:The way the West is loaded , keep dreaming ... Lakers next title will happen at the very end of the current decade at best ... in the next decade most likely

2 things:

1. I don't think the west is that loaded. the 8 seed is giving the 1 seed fits; the 7 seed is ready to knock out the conference favorite 2 seed; none of the series are going less than 6 games in the first round. in other words: the teams at the top aren't that strong. the old teams will get older, the young teams will have to start making salary decisions, and there will be opportunities to compete.

2. related to the first point, I don't think you can ever plan more than 2-3 years out. the blazers with roy and Aldridge were supposed to be contending for a long time, as were the tmac/yao rockets. things change in a hurry in the nba. all it takes is one superstar to find his way to la and they're right back in the conversation. if they're smart with how they approach this summer, they'll be setting the table for a return to relevance more quickly than people think.

all that said, and as it pertains to this thread topic, I really hope the lakers don't go after a name coach this time. kobe's not listening to anyone not named phil Jackson anyway, and the current squad isn't ready to do anything. don't force yourself to fire another highly paid coach in two years when things aren't working out (probably for reasons beyond the coach's control). hire some assistant who's paid his dues somewhere on a coach-min salary and be done with it. no more of this dantoni/rudy t stuff. that's stupid, imo.
abeer3

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 am

Johnnyboy wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:I think he's gone. They just don't want to pay him for the full amount.

Hope you're right

:man1: I'm always right
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby trodgers on Thu May 01, 2014 6:50 am

dmaul wrote:Ah, pride, one of the seven deadly sins. D'Antoni thought he was better than he is and deserved that guaranteed year and was willing to give up his job and millions because of the insult of not getting the support and confidence in his work from his employer. Never mind that he has flamed out in his last two gigs, both in the biggest media markets. There's no guarantee he'll get another head coaching job anytime soon. Then again, in the NBA, bad coaches have nine lives.

I don't see it that way at all. It wasn't thinking he was better - it was not wanting to live with the uncertainty. I think that even if he didn't want another year guaranteed, he was gone. He was trying to push LA to make a decision earlier. They did.

But even if they weren't going to make this decision - it's still not pride. It's, again, not wanting to live with uncertainty - could he turn around this team next year? Unknown. Was this season miserable? Yes. Who would WANT to live with that - being hated, tons of question marks, and no future?

I'm glad he pushed for an extra year. It was the right thing for him, for the team, and for the fans.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LakersN4 on Thu May 01, 2014 6:54 am

trodgers wrote:
dmaul wrote:Ah, pride, one of the seven deadly sins. D'Antoni thought he was better than he is and deserved that guaranteed year and was willing to give up his job and millions because of the insult of not getting the support and confidence in his work from his employer. Never mind that he has flamed out in his last two gigs, both in the biggest media markets. There's no guarantee he'll get another head coaching job anytime soon. Then again, in the NBA, bad coaches have nine lives.

I don't see it that way at all. It wasn't thinking he was better - it was not wanting to live with the uncertainty. I think that even if he didn't want another year guaranteed, he was gone. He was trying to push LA to make a decision earlier. They did.

But even if they weren't going to make this decision - it's still not pride. It's, again, not wanting to live with uncertainty - could he turn around this team next year? Unknown. Was this season miserable? Yes. Who would WANT to live with that - being hated, tons of question marks, and no future?

I'm glad he pushed for an extra year. It was the right thing for him, for the team, and for the fans.

I agree.. What sucks is we're going to deal with the same issue with many of our role players from last season.. A lot of these guys deserve multi-year contracts, I just can't see us committing to much of anything long term until the stars align & they pull off a big trade or signing.
LakersN4

Postby Jellincon on Thu May 01, 2014 6:59 am

Why Lakers should take long look at Derek Fisher to replace Mike D'Antoni as coach

By Adrian Wojnarowski

LOS ANGELES – As little as Mike D'Antoni wanted to coach Kobe Bryant in the end, Bryant wanted to play for D'Antoni even less. They had barely communicated for months, steering clear until a permanent parting on Wednesday night. They would've been miserable together, would've inevitably imploded the Los Angeles Lakers locker room.

D'Antoni is a great offensive mind, but his difficulties with Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Bryant have played a part in the unraveling of his coaching career. Lakers management had a willingness to bring him back next year, but refused to make a commitment beyond 2015.

The Lakers have lost talent, lost stability, lost what separates winning and losing franchises. Bryant won't pick the next coach, the way he had no input into Mike Brown and little into D'Antoni. Bryant will wish for Tom Thibodeau to free himself from Chicago. He loves Jeff Van Gundy, and shares management's affinity for Euro legend Ettore Messina, who spent a season on Mike Brown's staff.

Bryant has long admired Byron Scott, but there's a different ex-Lakers guard who could go much further to regenerate the franchise's culture and hold the insight into getting the most out of Bryant's final two seasons: Derek Fisher.

Once the Oklahoma City Thunder's season ends, Fisher will have a willingness to listen to coaching, front office and broadcasting possibilities. As for the Lakers' coaching job, it holds tremendous appeal to him, sources with knowledge of his thinking told Yahoo Sports on Wednesday night. For now, the Thunder's 3-2 deficit to Memphis holds his full focus, but there's no rush for the Lakers to hire a coach now.
The Lakers need to make themselves a destination again. Free agency has major importance in 2015 and '16 for the Lakers, and they'll need to be positioned to make a run at Kevin Durant.

Superstars want desperately to consider the Lakers in free agency, but they won't go anywhere based only on geography and banners. They'll need to see an infrastructure of talent, management structure and coaching. Durant will want a culture, and Fisher could've grown into the job by '16 to sell him on the Lakers' brand.

It is risky to hire a coach with no experience, but the right minds and right coaching staffs can make it work. Fisher will command respect and he'll be synonymous with a championship heritage that Lakers fans crave as a face of the franchise. Fisher is close to the end with the Thunder, and he'll be the rare non-star to choose his next direction: management, coaching or television.

He's smart enough to figure them all out, but coaching the Lakers would be the most tempting of all for Fisher. History with Bryant in the short term – and history with Durant in the long term – are legitimate benefits in pursuit of this job. The Lakers won't be reconstructed overnight, but through the draft and trades and ultimately free agency. There are good candidate cases to be made elsewhere in the Lakers' search process, but the most intriguing could be the most unconventional: out of the Thunder backcourt and onto the Lakers bench.

Derek Fisher is nearing the end, and willing to listen. This is a call the Buss family and Mitch Kupchak must make, a conversation with Fisher they owe it to the franchise to have sooner than later.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-lakers-should-take-long-look-at-derek-fisher-to-replace-mike-d-antoni-as-coach-061917950.html
Jellincon

Postby angrypuppy on Thu May 01, 2014 7:20 am

I want Thibs or Hollins, in that order. Both have demonstrated that they are strong defensive coaches, and both have shown that they have the patience to work with developing younger players. As SGH pointed out, Hollins has also worked well with two big men, and despite the league-wide infatuation with the three, the team that dictates the game tempo (defense, points in the paint)

Vogel? No for now, and the jury is out for the longer-term. He overworked his starters to the point where they're just a shell of what they were just two months ago (particularly Hibbert). A good coach has a feel for his team and paces the team in terms of minutes, practice and execution for the playoffs. Maybe he learned from the experience, but my initial inclination is no.

Hiring SVG would be hilarious. Dwight would have stayed had Jimmie hired SVG last summer.
angrypuppy

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu May 01, 2014 7:30 am

Works for me. BIG TIME. Fisher is a bulldog, intelligent as hell, uber well spoken and he and Kobe of course have the great relationship. Kobe would have to respect him, trust him and want to help him succeed by causing him no problems. If they hopefully are not going after Scott, Karl or another retread, and wanting to go a bit unconventional then do it with Fish. Fans would freaking love it. I think if he has already said he's open to coaching Derek Fisher will be an excellent damn coach. And for Rock's concerns about developing young players…..boom Fish I have no doubt can get that done. The rebuild part of it for everyone involved would be more palatable.

Hey WOJ said it all. :jam2:

And Fish like Kobe learned and played under the best, the master. Couple years Kevin Durant has to give a strong look at the least.

Fisher is a WINNER. A lot to learn his first years, like Kidd, but he has what it takes. Brooks is always saying it's like having another coach on the team.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Thu May 01, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby abeer3 on Thu May 01, 2014 8:04 am

KB24 wrote:Having the audacity to ask/push for the 4th year option of the Lakers and then resigning when they decline proves that he is a fool.

just face-saving. works for both sides, as the lakers didn't want to have to fire him (and pay his full salary next year). win/win.

anyway, good riddance. I never thought dantoni was a good coach, even at his peak in phx. I'm saddened that his fall from grace was complete in la, though.
abeer3

Postby ZenMaster4President on Thu May 01, 2014 8:29 am

I would love Fisher...

There is a gamble in any hire (unless Pop is walking into the Staples) and I'd rather gamble on one of ours.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu May 01, 2014 8:39 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
TheOp wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
TheOp wrote:

Kobe was the best player in the NBA back then ...

And we had the best record in the West BEFORE the trade because Bynum was starting beast mode.
Savory Griddles

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 am

Fisher is an interesting candidate...Jackson and Kidd come to mind immediately that have came into the head-coaching ranks and have done well so far...he's also built a relationship with Durant as a teammate; that's the ex-factor. We'll see...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu May 01, 2014 8:44 am

I hope we steer clear of Byron Scott. One of my favorite 2-3 players of all time, but he is NOT a good coach. Just burns out everyone everywhere he goes.
Savory Griddles

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu May 01, 2014 8:55 am

Savory Griddles wrote:I hope we steer clear of Byron Scott. One of my favorite 2-3 players of all time, but he is NOT a good coach. Just burns out everyone everywhere he goes.

This is what I've always heard as well about how ex players of his. They liked him but he often didn't always understand the team's needs.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Helljumper on Thu May 01, 2014 12:00 pm

abeer3 wrote:
KB24 wrote:Having the audacity to ask/push for the 4th year option of the Lakers and then resigning when they decline proves that he is a fool.

just face-saving. works for both sides, as the lakers didn't want to have to fire him (and pay his full salary next year). win/win.

anyway, good riddance. I never thought dantoni was a good coach, even at his peak in phx. I'm saddened that his fall from grace was complete in la, though.

This. In fact, I think this was orchestrated from the start. Apparently one of our coaching targets who we hold in high regard is JVG. He's made it known for a long time how he wouldn't want to take over for a recently fired coach out of respect since he doesn't want to feel responsible for another coach getting fired.
Helljumper

Postby TheOp on Thu May 01, 2014 12:05 pm

And we had the best record in the West BEFORE the trade because Bynum was starting beast mode.

And then what happened when Bynum got injured? The team was once again lottery bound. Until we got Pau.

Since you guys can predict the future, hook me up with some lotto numbers.
TheOp

Postby laakers on Thu May 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Just realized how "resign" can mean two completely opposite things. Makes the thread title somewhat ambiguous
laakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard