Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:17 pm

^^

excellent breakdown of what the eye test entails.

It happens all the time that a team plays excellent defense, yet the opponent is white hot and scores a ton/possession at a high rate. Conversely, there a times where a team plays crap defense, yet the opponent can't shoot worth a lick. In those instances stats are pretty much useless. That's why we need an educated's person's eye test to supplement stats.

Now, I am not the sharpest tool in the stat-shed, so humor me. For small sample sizes, stats can be meaningless for the reasons you and I just mentioned. But for a decent sample size, don't the stats usually even out and end up agreeing with the eyeball test? That was my question in my first post a few above. See if the eyeball analyses match up with the stats.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby gill on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 pm

Good rotations tonight and kept the hot hands in the game. :jam2:
gill

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:29 pm

It seems that this hire wasn't made for the starting group, but rather the bench group. The bench is just playing basketball right now without having to worry about any complex schemes (Triangle/Princeton). Jamison/Meeks just score the ball, Duhon set people up and knock down the open J. It's simple and it's working and it's looking like we are getting and will get solid production from our bench.

I like how MDA keeps the players out there when they are tearing it up. Earn your minutes by playing solid basketball and you will get rewarded. Simple and effective.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Doc Brown wrote:It seems that this hire wasn't made for the starting group, but rather the bench group. The bench is just playing basketball right now without having to worry about any complex schemes (Triangle/Princeton). Jamison/Meeks just score the ball, Duhon set people up and knock down the open J. It's simple and it's working and it's looking like we are getting and will get solid production from our bench.

I like how MDA keeps the players out there when they are tearing it up. Earn your minutes by playing solid basketball and you will get rewarded. Simple and effective.

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
We'll see more of Jamison at the 4 with Howard. D'Antoni: "It's important that we spread the floor for Dwight."

I feel relieved this guy gets this, despite being obvious Brown didn't seem to see it
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Doc Brown wrote:It seems that this hire wasn't made for the starting group, but rather the bench group. The bench is just playing basketball right now without having to worry about any complex schemes (Triangle/Princeton). Jamison/Meeks just score the ball, Duhon set people up and knock down the open J. It's simple and it's working and it's looking like we are getting and will get solid production from our bench.

^^ Good points. Other than last game which was more exception than rule, the bench has really been reenergized since the Brown firing. D' Antoni is certainly giving the main two new acquisitions, Meeks and Jamison a lot of confidence. It's refreshing to see unlike Brown who just seemed to do just the opposite.

Now we ARE having some fun. Good to see us bounce back after that fugly game vs. Indy.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:35 pm

Finwë wrote:
We'll see more of Jamison at the 4 with Howard. D'Antoni: "It's important that we spread the floor for Dwight."

I feel relieved this guy gets this, despite being obvious Brown didn't seem to see it

There are a lot of very basic concepts about basketball that Mike Brown just didn't get. Let's hope we go on a winning streak now.
thkthebest

Postby Finwë on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:46 pm

^^ true
We should beat the Magic on Sunday.. I expect us to do fairly well the following 17 games (random number I know), I predicted in another thread that we'd go 13-5 in the following 18 (won tonight, so far so good). We'd be 20-13, which isn't great but is a lot better than what we have been.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Finwë wrote:^^ true
We should beat the Magic on Sunday.. I expect us to do fairly well the following 17 games (random number I know), I predicted in another thread that we'd go 13-5 in the following 18 (won tonight, so far so good). We'd be 20-13, which isn't great but is a lot better than what we have been.

of course we'll beat the Magic, I'll be at that game :man1:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:06 am

dwight will want to win on Sunday. for sure.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Finwë on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:07 am

^^ awesome rock
Finwë

Postby purp n gold on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:14 am

kudos to Mike for the rotations tonight, especially for Pau.

It probably has much to do with matchups. But on nights when Jamison isn't so hot, Pau will get a few more minutes & points. As a C in this offense Pau can easily hover around 13/8/5, which is $.

I said it in a poll a few weeks back, Pau has the potential to be an uber-version of Boris Diaw when he played C in PHX.

I'd much rather work on Pau being a super-sub/pseudo starter than trade him.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby purp n gold on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:15 am

The Rock wrote:
Finwë wrote:^^ true

of course we'll beat the Magic, I'll be at that game :man1:

same here :jam2:

good luck on Sunday Rock :jam2:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:22 am

Rock, what's your record again when your in attendance??? I forgot....aren't we undefeated??
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby The Rock on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:37 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:Rock, what's your record again when your in attendance??? I forgot....aren't we undefeated??

this year 3-0

overall 27-6 :jam2:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 am

The Rock wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:Rock, what's your record again when your in attendance??? I forgot....aren't we undefeated??

this year 3-0

overall 27-6 :jam2:

I can sleep now... j/k :man10:

That's great
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby borri on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:48 am

Finwë wrote:

Dude alot of people with ZERO coaching experience got this. yeah, wtf was Brown thinking or not thinking.
borri

Postby themasterphil on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:32 am

Big like for his rotations....he really knows how to make players better and keep them in the game if they are hot....great work Mike.... :bow:
themasterphil

Postby JGC on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:01 pm

borri wrote:
Finwë wrote:

Dude alot of people with ZERO coaching experience got this. yeah, wtf was Brown thinking or not thinking.

Well, it's not that simple.

Howard+Gasol is still proving to be, at least through the first 16 games, the best offensive duo in terms of efficiency and production. Having said that, it adds a whole other dimension to get Jamison in there in terms of floor spacing so what MDA is saying makes total sense. So I'm not quite sure that you sacrifice size and playmaking for spacing 100% of the time. You try to find ways to incorporate both which is the piece that Brown missed.

To be fair, Brown's strategy was a defense-first mindset so it makes sense that he'd want to see more of Howard+Gasol out there because of the size advantage around the rim. Our OPP FG% has gone up since MDA took over. But you know what, who cares? Net-net we are a better team overall now and that's all that matters.
JGC

Postby trodgers on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:11 pm

I don't know why we'd look at offense only in assessing how effective a duo is.
[url]http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusminus/plusminus_sort.jsp?pcomb=2&season=22012&split=9&team=Lakers[/quote]

+/- ranking, looking at bigs only: Jamison, Hill, Gasol, Howard

Gasol/Hill: +50 in 109 minutes (+22/48 minutes)
Gasol/Howard: +34 in 395 minutes (+4/48 minutes)
Jamison/Gasol: +31 in 125 minutes (+12/48 minutes)

Among those trios, the Gasol/Howard combo has by far the worst ratio.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Lakersball.com. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Punk-101 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:14 pm

@ JGC
I think they were criticizing Brown for not playing jamison enough at the 4 (rather than the 3), period. Not necessary Jamison in lieu of Gasol.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby davriver290 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:16 pm

lakerswiz wrote:Last night was great, but it probably won't happen again. And at that rate, 11/13 of Jamison's shots were assisted and he was merely able to make the shot from the spot he was given the ball.

We actually played at a slower pace than we did in the Indiana game.

Just made our shots and scored 40 more points. That's how terrible the Indiana game was.

Yeah, Jamison and Meeks will not have games like this every game. But to get half of that production is still very helpful. I just want a consistent 12-14 pts from Jamison and Meeks, and your occasional three pointers from Duhon or Blake or whatever.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby JGC on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 pm

trodgers wrote:I don't know why we'd look at offense only in assessing how effective a duo is.
http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusminus/plusminus_sort.jsp?pcomb=2&season=22012&split=9&team=Lakers

+/- ranking, looking at bigs only: Jamison, Hill, Gasol, Howard

Gasol/Hill: +50 in 109 minutes (+22/48 minutes)
Gasol/Howard: +34 in 395 minutes (+4/48 minutes)
Jamison/Gasol: +31 in 125 minutes (+12/48 minutes)

Among those trios, the Gasol/Howard combo has by far the worst ratio.

Yeah, but is that any more meaningful than Gasol/Hill with the best? I dunno, not the biggest fan of +/- myself. After all, I would expect Gasol/Howard to have the worst +/- since they are always playing against starters whereas the other combos are likelier to play against bench players.
Last edited by JGC on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGC

Postby dj vitus on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:16 pm

lakerswiz wrote:Last night was great, but it probably won't happen again.

Happened against Dallas. I'm sure it'll happen again.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby JLaker17 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Really liking the rotations so far. It is a real shame to see a guy like Hill seem to get lost, but Jamison is not only way better for the system but his production is unreal. I just want to start seeing some more consistency, not having us go from being an offensive power house to a scrub one in a day.
JLaker17

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard