Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion: (Lakers Playoff record: 5-7)

Postby LOL on Mon May 21, 2012 11:25 pm

JVG for me.
LOL

Postby kenzo on Mon May 21, 2012 11:35 pm

We're stuck with Mike (at least for another season) due to the money issue. We'll make some roster changes, come out of the gates playing hungry and then fall short, wasting another (one of the last) Kobe seasons. Mike is a good guy but he sucks im afraid.
kenzo

Postby Eyedol1933 on Mon May 21, 2012 11:41 pm

There was one point, in the 4th I believe, where he was looking up to the scoreboard to check something. He looked totally clueless when doing that. Then again, whenever I see him on camera he always has a confused expression.
"That's called body control, that's called ability, that's called KOBE BRYANT."
-Stu Lantz
Eyedol1933

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue May 22, 2012 1:35 am

While Mike Brown certainly deserves criticism, I'm not so sure I'd fire him. Pau did the same for Brown as he did at the end of last year under Phil. He disappeared when the Lakers needed him. Andrew Bynum was an idiot all season long, grew bigheaded over the allstar status and threw tantrums when he didn't get his way even while disappearing in the big games.

He apparently doesn't like the system but won't ball out to prove that he's better than the coach.

My conclusion on Mike Brown: If Kobe wants him, keep him. If Kobe wants him out, ship him out. Begins and ends with Kobe in my book.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby ElginTheGreat on Tue May 22, 2012 4:37 am

Brown will be back.
ElginTheGreat

Postby KB24 on Tue May 22, 2012 4:39 am

Brown will be back, there is no doubt.

So good or bad, we need to accept it. Discussing about his performance is fine but don't discuss who replaces him because its not happening. For good or bad.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby VincentTH on Tue May 22, 2012 11:30 am

Weezy wrote:I don't even care right now, don't even know what to say about him. I don't even know if anyone better is going to available this offseason, we might just be stuck with him.

What do you mean that you don't know "anywone better is going to be available". Jeannie said more than once that Phil is looking for a job.

All it takes is for Jim Buss to swallow his pride, and admits that he made a mistake.
VincentTH

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 am

Brown stays. He's on contract for 3 more years and he did well enough record wise to warrant another chance.

Don't get your hopes up on him leaving.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 am

agreed with everyone here...whether we like it or not, he'll be back...the FO is gonna at least give him a full season, camp/pre season and everything before making a decision to get rid of him
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Whatthef? on Tue May 22, 2012 11:47 am

Has anyone started the FIREMIKEBROWN.COM website yet?
Whatthef?

Postby VincentTH on Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Whatthef? wrote:Has anyone started the FIREMIKEBROWN.COM website yet?

May be the guy in your avatar can give Dr. J Buss a call. As a long time season ticket holder, his words may push Dr Buss over the fence, and cut the losses before it will become bigger losses.

-- "You were behind the guy [OKC player, how can you make that call]". J. Nicholson Game 4 Lakers vs OKC
VincentTH

Postby revgen on Tue May 22, 2012 12:21 pm

lakerswiz wrote:Sooooo were Laker fans this pissed off after Phil got completely outcoached against Detroit or did we give him a pass?

It's funny to me how much emphasis is put on what Mike Brown does or doesn't do. He's the scapegoat for y'all this year.

Who took the blame when the Lakers lost to San Antonio during their run for their 4th in a row? Did Phil get any hate for not changing the offense or his coaching style to get the win?

He's not a "scapegoat", but he's definitely part of the problem. His inability to make adjustments on the fly in crucial situations and his inability devise a scheme to fit his personnel is hurting us.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby gcclaker on Tue May 22, 2012 12:32 pm

There was talk of Brown turning the Bynum/Gasol duo into the Robinson/Duncan defensive schemes during his time with San Antonio. Nice thought but neither are/were agile enough to fit his vision.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Tue May 22, 2012 12:47 pm

lakerswiz wrote:Sooooo were Laker fans this pissed off after Phil got completely outcoached against Detroit or did we give him a pass?

It's funny to me how much emphasis is put on what Mike Brown does or doesn't do. He's the scapegoat for y'all this year.

Who took the blame when the Lakers lost to San Antonio during their run for their 4th in a row? Did Phil get any hate for not changing the offense or his coaching style to get the win?

When Mike Brown wins 11 rings we may give him some leeway when he loses a series.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue May 22, 2012 12:50 pm

And why do people keep bringing up Phil Jackson when posters critique Mike Brown? They have nothing in common whatsoever. By the time Phil came here he was already one of the greatest coaches of all time having led Chicago to 2 three-peats. After years of suffering first and second round outs under Del Harris, we finally got a coach who could put us over the top and did so immediately. The guy rang up another three-peat with the Lakers.

There are no similarities between Brown and Phil. Phil gets all the passes in the world because he netted us 5 championships. That's insane.

If we win a championship (and we won't) under Brown it will probably be in spite of him, not because of him as it was with Phil.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby c.Lin on Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm

TIME wrote:

When Mike Brown wins 11 rings we may give him some leeway when he loses a series.

Agreed. Phil had his faults, but he consistently produced throughout his career. Mike Brown has more glaring faults and has yet to win anything. The differences are clear.
c.Lin

Postby gcclaker on Tue May 22, 2012 12:57 pm

To be fair, the team had Walton and Medvedenko guarding Wallace in 2004. Malone re-injured his knee in the Minnesota series rendering him useless. Grant was game but was gone even prior to the playoffs. Billups thoroughly outplayed Payton plus Fox and Fisher had limiting injuries [hamstring and foot respectively].

2003? They were an Horry closely rimmed out trey that could have propelled them to a Game 6 win and to a fourth straight Finals appearance.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby hdtvset on Tue May 22, 2012 1:05 pm

gcclaker wrote:

To be fair, the team had Walton and Medvedenko guarding Wallace in 2004. Malone re-injured his knee in the Minnesota series rendering him useless. Grant was game but was gone even prior to the playoffs. Billups thoroughly outplayed Payton plus Fox and Fisher had limiting injuries [hamstring and foot respectively].

2003? They were an Horry closely rimmed out trey that could have propelled them to a Game 6 win and to a fourth straight Finals appearance.

How about last year 2011? Did we have better team last year than this year? How far did we go with Phil last year with the better team? :man3:
hdtvset

Postby Jellincon on Tue May 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Mike Brown's biggest problem is inconsistency (going away from offensive sets that work) and HORRIBLE rotations. Earlier on in the season, the offense had a bit more body movement and players were getting wide open shots but not hitting them. I remember to start the game, Kobe would usually come off a screen and end up wide open at the top of the key for a jumpshot or if he wasn't open, the offense would work from there to feed the post or there would be another screen for a shooter (Kapono, Blake, Fisher) to get open for the corner three, or players were actually cutting through the lane (although most of this happened with Bynum out). Here is a clip vs. the Kings that sort of illustrates what I'm talking about.

Kobe was coming off screens to get an open jumper or using the screen to get better space for a driving opportunity or pullup jumper. Players were moving off the ball with off ball screens or cutting to the basket allowing the offense to get others involved. Pau was getting post opportunities and so was Artest. The offense just looked less stagnant.

Once Bynum came back, for some reason players were moving less without the ball and Bynum was getting the post opportunities Artest was getting. Part of the reason is because of Bynum's inability to handle the double team early in the season. But I don't understand why these offensive sets weren't run later on when Bynum got better at kicking it out to the open man out of the double team. The lack of cutting allowed Bynum to be doubled more easily and at times put him in positions to force up some bad shots. It was like Brown forgot what had worked earlier in the season or was not making sure players were moving without the ball.

Next season he needs to do a better job of game planning, MAKING ADJUSTMENTS, and utilizing the philosophies he has used at one point and not ignore what has worked before.
Jellincon

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue May 22, 2012 1:11 pm

hdtvset wrote:How about last year 2011? Did we have better team last year than this year? How far did we go with Phil last year with the better team? :man3:

you'd be surprised at how much 3 straight Finals runs takes on your body...sometimes fatigue overcomes talent
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby gcclaker on Tue May 22, 2012 1:25 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
hdtvset wrote:How about last year 2011? Did we have better team last year than this year? How far did we go with Phil last year with the better team? :man3:

you'd be surprised at how much 3 straight Finals runs takes on your body...sometimes fatigue overcomes talent

Burnout both mentally and physically. Jackson challenged Gasol man to man on that well circulated footage. He can only do so much. The BIGGEST culprit was Bryant's really bum knee which prevented him from closing the games. He as much admitted it recently. Jackson isn't infallible but you also have to account for issues within the team during a certain period.

Brown has the benefit of a doubt with not having a full training camp and indocrinating players to a NEW system. All of this at a hectic 66 game schedule. All are valid. Jackson's Triangle offense involved all players in cutting and reading. Brown's? Well, whatever it was it certainly wasn't imaginative nor flexible. He has another season to prepare for along with whovever is left. An accurate assessment should be formed at the end of that one. Will it be Cleveland all over again?
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby hdtvset on Tue May 22, 2012 1:29 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:

That is true and I agree with that.

But we changed new and worst head coach and to a new system compare to last year. Also the team is with older players and worst roster than last year. At the same time, OKC and SAS are both improved this year. I think we didn't do too bad in the lockout short season with the above reasons.
hdtvset

Postby Doc Brown on Wed May 23, 2012 9:00 am

Mike Brown's problems as head coach....

Played Kobe too many minutes and for 12 minute stretches throughout the game.

Played Bynum too many minutes and for 12 minute stretches throughout the game.

Simplistic ISO offense

Hyped up defense that was really nothing more than average

Horrible rotations

Was the team's best friend as opposed to being the hard nosed coach

Lack of simple adjustments

Never showed any fire on the bench besides the Morris/ Griffin ejection....always laughing and smiling

Set up players in position to fail (Blake / Ebanks)

Shunned players from rotation who could contribute (Glock/Ebanks/McFly)

7-8 man rotations throughout a fast paced shortened season

Two PG lineup

....Those aren't excuses or putting the blame on him, that's what he did wrong. Those are facts and problems that were reoccurring all throughout the season and never got addressed or changed. I'll blame Brown for that because those things mentioned above are his fault.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby XXIV on Wed May 23, 2012 9:04 am

^ Agree with everything you've said and it's sad to say he'll most likely be here next season. Management is going to give him the benefit of the doubt and will let him have another run with a full season, training camp, practices etc. I'm willing to give him a second chance but that's it. If he continues to make the same idiotic mistakes and mislead this team,then he really needs to get fired.
XXIV

Postby khmrP on Wed May 23, 2012 9:07 am

hdtvset wrote:But we changed new and worst head coach and to a new system compare to last year. Also the team is with older players and worst roster than last year. At the same time, OKC and SAS are both improved this year. I think we didn't do too bad in the lockout short season with the above reasons.

SA improved based on coaching, Pop changed his team makeup, no longer are they that low scoring grind it out team. Their big 3 got older but yet they are scoring more and he has used players that were others throw away, Danny Green, Diaw, Jackson. Thats what a good/great coach will do for you, as time passes Pop has adjusted rather than stay rigid to his old ways.
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard