Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Why won't anybody else say it?

Postby Mookie on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Now that we are loading up with an incredible roster it seems, and knowing Kobe won't play at a high level forever, the biggest question marl and concern in my opinion is still Mike Brown. Is it too late to find or at least consider getting a new HC? I'm not really sold on him to lead this squad filled with talent. I know Phil would be a pipe dream :pipe: but am I the only one thinking this right now?
Mookie

Re: Why won't anybody else say it?

Postby The Rock on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Spolestra like Brown, nobody thought could win a ring and he has. Give Mike a chance

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby gill on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Well, we at least got a new offensive coordinator. His name is Steve Nash. Now MB can just sit back and focus on what he knows best: defense.
gill

Postby XXIV on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Mike will be given another chance, if he fails yet again and it's unanimous that it was his fault, I believe the Lakers will look for another head coach.
XXIV

Postby TIME on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:51 pm

No you're not the only one thinking or saying it. This is the second Phil Jackson return fantasy thread I've locked in the last few minutes.

Sorry Mookie, but Jim Buss has made it extremely clear that Mike Brown is the coach and is not going anywhere at this point. You're welcome to express your concerns in the big Mike Brown thread though.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alcindor on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Mookie wrote:Now that we are loading up with an incredible roster it seems, and knowing Kobe won't play at a high level forever, the biggest question marl and concern in my opinion is still Mike Brown. Is it too late to find or at least consider getting a new HC? I'm not really sold on him to lead this squad filled with talent. I know Phil would be a pipe dream :pipe: but am I the only one thinking this right now?

Yeah you are completely original in questioning Mike Brown. Haven't heard that at all around here.
Alcindor

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:53 pm

You're not the only one thinking it, but he's here to stay, theyre giving him at least one season with a full training camp to prepare. Others are suggesting other coaches to replace Brown if we get off to a bad start or Brown can't draw up a good offense. Mike and Mike today brought up D'Antoni and of course Phil. They brought up Nash's history with D'Antoni and how Kobe likes him a lot growing up watching him in Italy or whatever. I hate Pringles though, don't want him.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Pringles comes and runs the offense while Mike Brown runs the defense. Bang!

Sorry, but all the mods are posting in here after the lock...thought I'd jump in.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:59 pm

If Eric Spoelstra can win a championship so can Mike Brown.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby 432J on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 pm

KeepBynum wrote:If Eric Spoelstra can win a championship so can Mike Brown.

erik spoelstra had no part in the heat's championship, the fact that they have two top 5 players does. keep brown but make sure that nash has a big part in running the show, and rightfully so since it is obviously clear he knows what he's doing
432J

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Mook... Jackson is in the past. He ain't coming back unless NEW ownership takes over which is not going to happen any time soon. Brown will have the benefit of a full training camp, preseason and practice time to implement his DVDs...errr...schemes. He deserves that chance at least even if a majority of the fanbase are skeptical about it.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Re: Mike Brown Discussion: (Lakers Playoff record: 5-7)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Here's the fix to the coaching discussion...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby live and die in LA on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Everybody and their brother has been saying this...not sure what the point of this thread is. With Nash, Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum the offense should figure itself out. Mike has been known as a defensive coach, that is his job with this team.
live and die in LA

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Get Pringles in here now. Then Mike can focus on defense.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Helljumper on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Mike's MO on offense as always been to let his best players do their thing. That's not going to change. If Sessions was as good as Nash and had the balls to actually dominate the ball, our offense would've gone in that direction even with Brown at the helm.
Helljumper

Re: Mike Brown Discussion: (Brown's last chance?)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:27 pm

I have only one hope out of Brown for this upcoming season: rotations. He needs to trust his bench. With our starters all being in their 30s except Bynum who has a slow pace, we need to be conscientious of their minutes played.

He needs to keep starters' minutes low and trust in his bench guys.

I think the offense is now dictated by Steve Nash and Kobe. They'll design it and decide what's best for the team. The defense can remain in Brown's control, although I hope he works on positioning so that the Lakers can get more fast break opportunities.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:31 pm

The Rock wrote:Spolestra like Brown, nobody thought could win a ring and he has. Give Mike a chance

Spolestra has Riley as his ghost coach. Brown has a DVD player as his.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Congo Cash on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Mike Brown had his chances since his LeBron days...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Steve Nash is the coach now. Ignore this bozo and make your plays Stevie.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Finwë on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:06 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Steve Nash is the coach now. Ignore this bozo and make your plays Stevie.

:jam2: :jam2:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:25 pm

With Nash here, I think he will be taking the offense our of Mike's hands. At 38 years old and having played 16 years in the league as a top tier PG, Nash is about as qualified as any assistant coach to develop and teach an offensive system.

Soooo, that means Brown focuses on defense, we're he's better suited but still clueless in some areas. If Bynum is still here, is he going to continue to tell Bynum to chase guards on the 3pt line? Or are we going funnel guards to him instead? Bynum is better suited as a shotblocker/rebounder in the paint, and we'd be better off funneling guards to him then him coming out to the 3pt line. As long as Brown continues to utlize Bynum like he's Anderson Varajao, we're not utlizing our defensive anchor correctly.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:36 pm

therealdeal wrote:I have only one hope out of Brown for this upcoming season: rotations. He needs to trust his bench. With our starters all being in their 30s except Bynum who has a slow pace, we need to be conscientious of their minutes played.

He needs to keep starters' minutes low and trust in his bench guys.

I think the offense is now dictated by Steve Nash and Kobe. They'll design it and decide what's best for the team. The defense can remain in Brown's control, although I hope he works on positioning so that the Lakers can get more fast break opportunities.

God I've been thinking the same thing. The two of them are going to look at what they have personnel wise when the smoke clears and feed off each other figuring out how they need to play it. No way are the 2 of them in this short window and as tough as it will be anyway, going to let Brown eff up the offense.

But I still so much fear how he chooses to substitute and do what he considers to be in game adjustments. Can't wait for the Nash / Black dual guard lineup. How much rope is the front office going to give him if he continues to eff that part of the game up?
LTLakerFan

Re: Mike Brown

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:43 pm

revgen wrote:that means Brown focuses on defense, where he's better suited but still clueless in some areas.

The problem is that his defensive philosophy had “stall ball” (ie. “four corners” offense) as a cornerstone. His defense was most effective when the team was struggling to score 100 pts.
Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST-MING

Re: Mike Brown

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:47 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
revgen wrote:Soooo, that means Brown focuses on defense, we're he's better suited but still clueless in some areas.

The problem is that his defensive philosophy had “stall ball” (ie. “four corners” offense) as a cornerstone. His defense was most effective when the team was struggling to score 100 points.

In other words, his defensive philosophy is to create less possessions so guys can play harder on the defensive end on each possession.

Nevermind if the defensive scheme is flawed and not suited to our personnel.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby purp n gold on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:41 pm

By signing Nash we also signed our head coach. Not only will he coach our offense, but his leadership and player management are both light years ahead of what Mike Brown can do.

Mike Brown is now officially our Defensive Coordinator, as far as I'm concerned.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard