Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion: (Brown's last chance?)

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Been saying this as well, get Pringles in here to run the offense.

^^ Nice call. Pringles on the offense and Brown on the D could actually be a good pairing.

Awful head coaches, but two really good assistant coaches. Each is equal to half of a head coach. If we have to sit through potato head, let's add the chip form of his big potato head.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Scnottaken on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Been saying this as well, get Pringles in here to run the offense.

^^ Nice call. Pringles on the offense and Brown on the D could actually be a good pairing.

Awful head coaches, but two really good assistant coaches. Each is equal to half of a head coach. If we have to sit through potato head, let's add the chip form of his big potato head.

Knowing our luck, Mike Brown would make all offensive decisions, while pringles makes all defensive decisions.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

:man10: :man10: :man10: That rules! So true, too.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Re: Mike Brown

Postby lakersStan24 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:15 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
John3:16 wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:Mike Brown is now officially our Defensive Coordinator, as far as I'm concerned.

Sad, but true.

If they land Howard, he’s taking over that job. Mike Brown can lay his fatass out on the bench.

LOL
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Finwë on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:15 pm

BUMP
BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
ICYMI: Mike Brown told me yesterday they hoped Eddie Jordan will join staff, they're running Princeton Hi post this year either way
Retwitteado por Nate Jones

I'm not very familiar with US college basketball, what's that Princeton offense like? It's mentioned a lot in basketball talks.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Finwë wrote:BUMP
ICYMI: Mike Brown told me yesterday they hoped Eddie Jordan will join staff, they're running Princeton Hi post this year either way

I'm not very familiar with US college basketball, what's that Princeton offense like? It's mentioned a lot in basketball talks.

Without being too technical, it basically means more movement and less stagnation. And since it's a college offense, it's specifically designed to combat zones, which are frequently being used more and more by NBA teams.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Finwë on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:36 pm

revgen wrote:
Finwë wrote:BUMP

Without being too technical, it basically means more movement and less stagnation. And since it's a college offense, it's specifically designed to combat zones, which are frequently being used more and more by NBA teams.

Sounds swell, but I don't trust Brown as an offensive coach. We'll see. Hopefully I'm wrong.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:45 pm

The Princeton offense in principle will work pretty well for our group. Off-ball movement and lots of passing. It works well against teams that are athletic and matchup one on o e defensively well.

However, i also hope we see some easy pick and rolls with Nash. It's his bread and butter and would give us instant offense basically.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JUST-MING on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:52 pm

You can give it a pretty name but I know what I watched. Not a lot of back-door plays. One thing that may qualify were the Gasol/Bynum high-low slip screens. However, nothing was drawn up for Bryant nor Artest to get easier shots around the basket behind the defense. What I watched was moreso the “Four Corners” Offense (ie. “Stall Ball”) than the “Princeton” Offense.

All year they ran two screens, one on the strong side and one on the weak side, and that was it.
Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JUST-MING

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 pm

JUST-MING wrote:You can give it a pretty name but I know what I watched. Not a lot of back-door plays. One thing that may qualify were the Gasol/Bynum high-low slip screens. However, nothing was drawn up for Bryant nor Artest to get easier shots around the basket behind the defense. What I watched was moreso the “Four Corners” Offense (ie. “Stall Ball”) than the “Princeton” Offense.

He said they're GOING to run the Princeton offense not that they did.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:53 am

If you want to see the Princeton offense at the NBA level, check out what Adelman did with the Sacramento teams around the 1998-2003 period. He had two post players who were both excellent passers in Webber and Divac. That offense was a thing of beauty, when it was going, the Lakers had a devil of a time stopping it. The Lakers only won that 7th game because they had better poise down the stretch. That was the Jackson difference, but make no mistake Adelman can coach offense.

So when the coaching job became open, I was fully in favor of Adelman as were many other posters here; we knew what he was capable of. Heck even Kobe was said to be very OK with him, it would have been great to see what he could do with Bynum and Gasol. But that baseball cap boy threw his tantrum and had to hire his man. And we have a coach who's severely challenged at the offensive end. I don't think he ever listened to Messina at all, consequently I'm not surprised Messina left. Here's hoping Nash can inject some smarts into the coaching staff. Especially if Brown gets replacement assistants not known for their offensive prowess.

So ... ok Brown didn't have a fair shot last season what with everything going on. Now he has a real PG, now he has access to all players, now he will have a full training camp and time for real practices during the season. No excuses. If they don't reach the WCF, Brown's gotta go. If they don't get past OKC, I can live with that as OKC is pretty dang good now, they are the team to beat in the West, at least until cap issues bite them in the butt. But Brown has to get the team that far or his 2nd chance is a failure.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:57 am

jlkr wrote:If you want to see the Princeton offense at the NBA level, check out what Adelman did with the Sacramento teams around the 1998-2003 period. He had two post players who were both excellent passers in Webber and Divac. That offense was a thing of beauty, when it was going, the Lakers had a devil of a time stopping it. The Lakers only won that 7th game because they had better poise down the stretch. That was the Jackson difference, but make no mistake Adelman can coach offense.

So when the coaching job became open, I was fully in favor of Adelman as were many other posters here; we knew what he was capable of. Heck even Kobe was said to be very OK with him, it would have been great to see what he could do with Bynum and Gasol. But that baseball cap boy threw his tantrum and had to hire his man. And we have a coach who's severely challenged at the offensive end. I don't think he ever listened to Messina at all, consequently I'm not surprised Messina left. Here's hoping Nash can inject some smarts into the coaching staff. Especially if Brown gets replacement assistants not known for their offensive prowess.

So ... ok Brown didn't have a fair shot last season what with everything going on. Now he has a real PG, now he has access to all players, now he will have a full training camp and time for real practices during the season. No excuses. If they don't reach the WCF, Brown's gotta go. If they don't get past OKC, I can live with that as OKC is pretty dang good now, they are the team to beat in the West, at least until cap issues bite them in the butt. But Brown has to get the team that far or his 2nd chance is a failure.

Unfortunately for Brown, if we get Dwight, he will have to win it all to keep his job, similar to spoelstra this past year. Year 1 was "excused" because it was their first year together, but Year 2, all eyes were on Spo. Same will be expected of Mike Brown.
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:03 am

Brown has been given, even if Howard is not traded here, a roster that is mostly capable of winning a championship. With the addition of Nash, we have enough talent right now to win it all, even with a bench that isn't very productive.

If he cannot win a ring with Nash, Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum then he cannot win a ring. He simply isn't good enough.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:24 am

therealdeal wrote:Brown has been given, even if Howard is not traded here, a roster that is mostly capable of winning a championship. With the addition of Nash, we have enough talent right now to win it all, even with a bench that isn't very productive.

If he cannot win a ring with Nash, Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum then he cannot win a ring. He simply isn't good enough.

Thats true but I think with Howard there would just be so much more pressure to win it all this year than if we didn't have Howard, agreed? There's gonna be pressure regardless, but the amount changes a bit with Howard there instead of Bynum. But i agree, if he can't get it done with nash, kobe, jamison, gasol, bynum, artest, then he's probably not the man for the job.
FabFourLakers

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:27 am

FabFourLakers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Brown has been given, even if Howard is not traded here, a roster that is mostly capable of winning a championship. With the addition of Nash, we have enough talent right now to win it all, even with a bench that isn't very productive.

Thats true but I think with Howard there would just be so much more pressure to win it all this year than if we didn't have Howard, agreed? There's gonna be pressure regardless, but the amount changes a bit with Howard there instead of Bynum. But i agree, if he can't get it done with nash, kobe, jamison, gasol, bynum, artest, then he's probably not the man for the job.

Definitely more pressure with Howard. Most people don't think we're gonna win it all as currently constructed. They say we're "close" and then they mention how adding Howard would put us over the top.

So yeah if we do end up getting Howard, there really won't be many excuses for Brown.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 am

FabFourLakers wrote:

Oh I agree with that. Although I think if the Lakers get Howard the "we needed time to get" excuse is definitely there to use. He'll probably get one more shot, especially if there's injuries and whatnot.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby VincentTH on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:03 am

My prayer is that Howard will (again) get his coach fired. I hope this time D12 can get the coach fired before the All Star mid-point, and gives the Lakers enough time to recover for the PlayOff run. Seriously!!!
VincentTH

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:08 am

VincentTH wrote:My prayer is that Howard will (again) get his coach fired. I hope this time D12 can get the coach fired before the All Star mid-point, and gives the Lakers enough time to recover for the PlayOff run. Seriously!!!

I totally disagree. The last thing we need is a coaching change half-way through the season. With an All-NBA lineup like he'd have with Howard, the team would basically run itself. He'd design the defense, but that's it. Nash has the offense under control the whole time.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby VincentTH on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:
VincentTH wrote:My prayer is that Howard will (again) get his coach fired. I hope this time D12 can get the coach fired before the All Star mid-point, and gives the Lakers enough time to recover for the PlayOff run. Seriously!!!

I totally disagree. The last thing we need is a coaching change half-way through the season. With an All-NBA lineup like he'd have with Howard, the team would basically run itself. He'd design the defense, but that's it. Nash has the offense under control the whole time.

What I am afraid is that even with an All-Star lineup, Brown will find ways to screw it. His 8-man rotation in April will kill Kobe/Nash/Gasol/Jamison comes playoff time. His goal has always been perfect Regular Season, the PO is just secondary. Also his lack of game-time adjustments, with bonehead lineup (Steve Blake at the #2, Kobe not inserted back until 4:00 left etc...) will not get us far into the playoff, star lineup or not. ANy coach would have been better than Brown, last year and this upcoming season!!!

Just My Humble Opinion.
VincentTH

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 pm

With the acquisition of Nash, I just don't see him as a threat anymore offensively. Brown simply will let Nash do what he needs to do. Brown will run the defense and that will be his main function.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:32 pm

therealdeal wrote:With the acquisition of Nash, I just don't see him as a threat anymore offensively. Brown simply will let Nash do what he needs to do. Brown will run the defense and that will be his main function.

^^ We can only hope, realdeal, we can only hope. If I see Brown up calling out plays for Nash to follow over and over again, heads are gonna roll. At least Brown's head should roll. I mean that figuratively, of course. As in, he should get fired. Brown is an imbecile when it comes to offense. We knew this before he was hired and he proved it again last year. He could still screw this up even with Nash here. I just hope he lets Steve run the offense as he should. Whether he leaves well enough alone or not, though, that's going to be the question.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:31 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:With the acquisition of Nash, I just don't see him as a threat anymore offensively. Brown simply will let Nash do what he needs to do. Brown will run the defense and that will be his main function.

^^ We can only hope, realdeal, we can only hope. If I see Brown up calling out plays for Nash to follow over and over again, heads are gonna roll. At least Brown's head should roll. I mean that figuratively, of course. As in, he should get fired. Brown is an imbecile when it comes to offense. We knew this before he was hired and he proved it again last year. He could still screw this up even with Nash here. I just hope he lets Steve run the offense as he should. Whether he leaves well enough alone or not, though, that's going to be the question.

Here's hoping Brown learns something from the Terry Porter debacle. Anyone remember that one? Porter got fired, they brought in Gentry who mostly restored the D'Antoni offense for Nash. And the Suns made it to the WCF before losing to the eventual champion Lakers. Remember that ESPN described Nash bottled up in Porter's offensive schemes like watching a hummingbird in a plastic bag. Will Brown be like Porter? That's a damn cogent question given Brown's control freak nature. There could be hope though, recall last season when the senior players got Brown to calm down on the bench and run some different schemes, but here's thinking Nash could really push his buttons.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:41 pm

I heard Brown in a recent interview on 710 ESPN hint at the idea of Nash having more control of the offense. Nash also spoke to Brown about the offense they would run even before the trade was finalized. I think Brown knows that offense is not his strong suit and he's going to let Nash do his thing. I'm sure he'll have some input, but for the most part it will be Nash that is controlling that end of the floor.

I feel like even if he tried to run the show at this point Kobe and Steve would just basically not listen. They've got it under control and I have faith in those two. As for the Princeton offense, I think it'll be the right offense to run with the pieces we have now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:I heard Brown in a recent interview on 710 ESPN hint at the idea of Nash having more control of the offense. Nash also spoke to Brown about the offense they would run even before the trade was finalized. I think Brown knows that offense is not his strong suit and he's going to let Nash do his thing. I'm sure he'll have some input, but for the most part it will be Nash that is controlling that end of the floor.

I feel like even if he tried to run the show at this point Kobe and Steve would just basically not listen. They've got it under control and I have faith in those two. As for the Princeton offense, I think it'll be the right offense to run with the pieces we have now.

Brown can't teach that offense... who's going to do that?

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:45 pm

jlkr wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I heard Brown in a recent interview on 710 ESPN hint at the idea of Nash having more control of the offense. Nash also spoke to Brown about the offense they would run even before the trade was finalized. I think Brown knows that offense is not his strong suit and he's going to let Nash do his thing. I'm sure he'll have some input, but for the most part it will be Nash that is controlling that end of the floor.

Brown can't teach that offense... who's going to do that?

Well first of all Nash and also there's talk of bringing in Eddie Jordan as an assistant coach. He ran that exclusively in Washington and Philadelphia.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard