Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion: (Brown's last chance?)

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:02 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:i think by "stuff we did last year" he means feeding the post. which we do every year pretty well. I doubt with the addition of Nash & Howard while still keeping Pau, that we'll still run Kobe ISO all the time. He def will still do that bc its Kobe, but i think Kobe/Brown will let Nash do his thing with PnR with the best frontcourt in the league.

I think since we have so many threats, Mike Brown wants to use the Princeton Offense to increase our ball movement to find the open guy vs tying sooo hard each possession. We will still see Kobe ISO but it'll be ALOT less. Pau will be more of a post threat as Dwight plays off ball pretty well and free up the paint for Pau and Nash.

Dont read too much into "stuff we did last year" bc that could mean anything. I really think it has nothing to do with Kobe ISO and more to do with feeding the post and what Sessions was supposed to do but didn't for some reason.

I think you're giving him too much credit Ariza3. I think he means "ISO". Because that's about it for the Mike Brown offensive scheme. I also don't think it was Brown pushing for the Princeton Offense. He isn't even familiar with running it. That's why they brought in Eddie Jordan who has run it as head coach. I see this little talk as Brown again trying to state his control over the team. And that's something I'm not interested in seeing at all. He's the worst offensive head coach I've ever seen in the NBA. I actually prefer Del Harris. And that's saying a lot.

just trying to be optimistic lol. Nash is way to smart to listen to Mike Brown if its a stupid idea...im okay with Mike Brown doing his defensive coaching, but offensively let some of the smartest players do that...Nash,Kobe,Pau. Those guys will know what to do throughout a game and in crunch time. I think it comes down to Mike Brown and Kobe trusting Nash to run the team, his resume says he'll do it perfectly.
Ariza3

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:16 pm

Let's not freak out guys, please :man11:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
Brown to Y! on LAL offense "We're still going to do a lot of stuff we did last year. We're just incorporating some of the Princeton stuff."
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Gosh damnit you can't be that stupid.

A team with Nash / Kobe / D12 / Pau / Jamison and he wants to run ISO's all damn game.

GoldHammish

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:19 pm

GoldHammish wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Brown to Y! on LAL offense "We're still going to do a lot of stuff we did last year. We're just incorporating some of the Princeton stuff."
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

A team with Nash / Kobe / D12 / Pau / Jamison and he wants to run ISO's all damn game.

:man10: I think that's how we all felt when first reading this
Battle Tested20

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 pm

If Clown underachieves with this squad he'll be fired anyway. I think we'll win in spite of him though.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Nash is the offensive coach. Brown is the defensive coach.
Ariza3

Postby kray28 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:34 pm

We can't afford to waste our time with Mike Clown after this.

We absolutely should not be running the same stuff we were running last year, and "incorporating" some of the Princeton stuff sounds like BS. What the hell is wrong with this guy?
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:12 pm

I sincerely doubt the Lakers do anything close to what they did last season. Kobe went on record calling their old system ineffective. He's excited about running an offense that is based on movement again. He won't stand for anything less than perfection and neither will Nash.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Shadow on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Potato head better have a great game plan and stop playing these "I think this might work" plans because he will get booted out of L.A!!
Shadow

Postby kenzo on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:39 pm

ISO, Princeton, Triangle, whatever... i want to see some SMART minute management first :man2:, followed by smart lineups :bang:
Last edited by kenzo on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Shadow wrote:Potato head better have a great game plan and stop playing these "I think this might work" plans because he will get booted out of L.A!!

^^ He does not have a great game plan, nor has he ever had a great game plan. That's one of his flaws. But it's not his biggest flaw. The main thing I can't stand about Brown is that he seems to be missing something - call it "common sense," maybe.

He just doesn't seem to "get it" - he doesn't seem clued in to what will work for his personnel or see what will work in in a game. Nothing he's done speaks to me as "elite" coaching.

Will he suffice? That's the question. Will the offense run well IN SPITE OF HIM? That's really the question. Because he has no answers on his end. Haven't you seen enough of him to know that at this point?

Can he coach the defense to be good enough to get us a ring? Maybe. I sure hope so. But every time I hear one of his quotes I get uneasy again. Shades of Del Harris all over again. Del had a squad that was massively talented, too, and could not get over the hump. Del, as annoying and bad as he was, was still a better coach from what I've seen than Brown. That's not inspiring.
Lakerjones

Postby Plot on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Plot

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:53 pm

Plot wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

:man10: :man10: :man6: :man6:

I can't believe we're stuck with this joker another year.
Lakerjones

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:54 pm

I just hope he's essentially demoted. He's clearly not qualified. We have enough people more qualified than him to run this team. Eddie Jordan, Kobe, Nash, and Pau can all sit down and hash out an offense. Let Dwight and Ron dictate the D and we're set.

I'm still hoping we can snatch one more quality hire on the bench. Brown said he was looking to hire two assistants to make up for our losses. We've only hired EJ, still leaves room for one more coach to minimize Brown's role. :man9:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 pm

SVG? :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:13 pm

JSM wrote:I just hope he's essentially demoted. He's clearly not qualified. We have enough people more qualified than him to run this team. Eddie Jordan, Kobe, Nash, and Pau can all sit down and hash out an offense. Let Dwight and Ron dictate the D and we're set.

I'm still hoping we can snatch one more quality hire on the bench. Brown said he was looking to hire two assistants to make up for our losses. We've only hired EJ, still leaves room for one more coach to minimize Brown's role. :man9:

Nate McMillan would be awesome although I don't know if he would be willing to be an assistant coach.
Battle Tested20

Postby XXIV on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Plot wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

That actually made me laugh
XXIV

Postby gcclaker on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Brown's got stuff! He will use this stuff! That stuff! Then he'll find other stuff! The players will also tell him stuff! Then Brown will remember stuff from Popovich. Lotsa stuff out there! It will be a Heinz 57 offense...
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:41 pm

"A lot of stuff we did last year..."

What stuff? :man3:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:43 pm

^It's on his secret dvds...
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Those secret DVD's is really the Blu-Ray edition of Space Jam......

And the stuff he is talking about, is "Mike's Magic Stuff", which is basically just a watered down version of crap.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JSM on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 am

Brian Kamenetzky of ESPN wrote:It has been an outstanding summer for Lakers head coach Mike Brown, not only because he was able to take his first real family vacation since taking the gig last year. With the lockout in the rearview mirror, Brown now can prepare for the season as a detail-oriented man like himself prefers, dotting i's, crossing t's and creating a season's blueprint for his roster.

And a fine roster it is, having added Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Antawn Jamison, and Jodie Meeks, with Jordan Hill re-signed.

“You’ve got to give Dr. Buss, Jim Buss, and Mitch Kupchak credit,” Brown said in a phone conversation last week. “They always will, as you’ve seen in the past and as we see currently, they always will try to put a product on the floor that they think can compete for an NBA championship. The guys that they brought in, they’re all professionals, they’re all very good players, and they give us a chance.”

Even pain has been wrapped in joy this offseason, evidenced by his reaction when G.M. Mitch Kupchak told him the Lakers had acquired Howard while keeping Gasol.

“I got a little excited. I tried to jump up and down, but my mind was telling me to do something that my body wouldn’t allow me to do. I almost pulled my hamstring sitting down. I don’t know if that’s ever happened to anybody, but I was so excited that my leg tensed up. I almost tore my hamstring. So I got up slowly and gave him and Jim Buss a hug,” Brown said.

“That might be the first hug they’ve gotten from their coach, ever, when it comes to a trade happening.”

Given the incredibly rapid and odds-bucking reversal of fortune for the Lakers this offseason, I’m sure Lakers fans would react the same way to seeing either Kupchak or Buss. Many of those fans will hold their hug for Brown until the end of the year. Brown understands the pressure facing him this year, one of the many things we covered. Below is a transcript of highlights from our conversation . . .

LOL: In London, Kobe Bryant spoke about the team installing the Princeton offense this year. Is that more or less the plan?

MB: “I like some of the things that we did last year, and we’re going to keep some of those things in place. But in the same breath, I’ve always been infatuated with what Eddie [Jordan] did when he was in Washington. I think if you take away the individual players and how talented they are -- obviously if you have certain players it doesn’t matter what you run as long as you run something to their strengths, you’re going to have success offensively.

So if you take away the individual players and their strengths and all that and just look at the purity of different offenses and how to defend them on a night in, night out basis, I always felt that the stuff (Jordan) did in Washington was difficult to defend. It was difficult to come up with a game plan because of the spacing and ball movement, and stuff like that. It’s a stress free offense, because of the counters that are built in, and so on and so forth. So I started looking into that at the beginning of the summer a little bit, and talked with a couple of guys that have done it on the collegiate level and on the professional level, and then I brought Eddie in for a while.

I spent about a week or so with him, talking about it. So there’s a good chance we’re going to go down that road to incorporate some of that, or a lot of that, into what we did last year.”

Note: Multiple outlets have reported Jordan's expected addition to the staff, something confirmed to me as well by a source familiar with the situation.

LOL: Is the installation at least in part because you have guys who have been system players? Kobe, Pau, etc.? You know system basketball is something they’re comfortable with?

MB: “Yes, that is part of it. This team is built that way, and because they’re built that way, because they’re used to it, I think it will help them out at the end of the day.”

LOL: How does the Princeton work with having someone like Nash? As my understanding, it’s not as much a heavy pick and roll offense, but more motion and ball movement.

MB: ‘The way that we’ll put it together, Steve’s going to have an opportunity -- he’s going to quarterback the team -- and so he’s going to have an opportunity to come down the floor every possession and in early offense play pick-and-roll if he wants to. It’s up to him, based on where he decides to take the ball or a call that he makes or an action that he does, it’s up to him to get us into some of the looks of the Princeton offense.

So again, with him quarterbacking, or making that decision, he’ll still have a chance to get the ball back after he moves or after bodies move. I don’t want to completely give away what we’re trying to do, but in a nutshell, he will have an opportunity to play pick-and-roll at the beginning of almost every play set coming down the floor in early offense. And if not, he can also choose to get to some of the looks out of the Princeton by making a pass or doing an action or doing a call or whatever.”

LOL: I know you’re a defensive minded coach, but when you think about the aesthetics of what the offense could look like, the amount of options available to you, I suspect it’s been hard to stop smiling.

MB: “And that’s what’s exciting. The versatility that we do have it gives us the ability to do a lot of different things. We don’t want to give too much, especially early on, and then in the same breath as the season goes along we’re going to learn from them based on who they are individually and as a unit.

I feel like I have a nice foundation, or a nice mix, in mind to give the team when you talk about combining some of the stuff that we did last year with some of the Princeton stuff that Eddie did in Washington, and then kind of going from there. “

LOL: Was last year enjoyable? Was it a fun year for you as a coach?

MB: “Yes, it was. It was enjoyable from the standpoint that I felt like as the season went along, I felt like we grew, and I felt like we were pretty good at the end. I thought going into the playoffs we were really good.

I thought it hurt us not having Metta against Denver, because they were able to take advantage of some things on the perimeter that they wouldn’t have been able to do if we had Metta. And even going into the Oklahoma series, after the first game I was good. I felt like we put together a plan after the first game as to where we could compete, and possibly win the series. So I felt good about our performance and our chances and all that other stuff in that series.

Obviously it was unfortunate that we didn’t win and it was disappointing. But for the shortened season, and all the other stuff, I thought we had a solid year.”

LOL: How hard was it to connect to your players and your staff, given the nature of last year?

MB: “It was tough in that regard. Everything was so rushed, and not only was everything so rushed, you’re talking about a culture that’s been what it was for 10, 12 years. However long they’ve been going this way. I don’t think there are any two guys that are the same out there. For Phil to be here and to have the success that he had for as long as he had, for me to come in -- and obviously being myself because I can’t be Phil -- that had to have been a culture shock to the players, too.

It took some time, but I thought that as the year went along, especially during the playoffs, we were pretty connected.”

LOL: When you look back at the work you did, where are those places you look at and think you could have done this, should have done “X” differently. Where you think you’ll be better this year?

MB: “I thought I got better with the media as the year went along. Initially, that was a shock to me, in terms of understanding why and how everything can be such a big deal here. In Cleveland, I experienced it a little bit because LeBron is a guy that drew the media’s attention on a national level, but really the media was only concerned about him, and him only, (and only) sometimes if we won or lost.

The media was not as big a deal for me when I was in Cleveland because they didn’t cover, or they weren’t as interested in the other guys like they are here. From 1 through 15. You could be the 14th player on the team, and if there’s a small thing going on, on the court or off the court, it can turn into a media frenzy. So that was an adjustment that I had to make. Just understanding that, feeling that, accepting it, dealing with it, throughout the course of the year.

In terms of what I can do?

Shoot, I always look back and say I could have or should have tried this offensively. Defensively, yes, there are things that yeah, I could have tried this defensively, but I think at the end of the day all of that is just about coaching. No matter where I am, whether it’s here with the Lakers or Cleveland or anyplace else, that’s how you get better. You second guess yourself, you question the things that you did at times, and think through them again in order to have a better feel as to whether you should continue down a path or change it up.

I don’t think there’s really anything with x’s and o’s wise that I can sit here and say would be different, in terms of me questioning them if I was with another team.”

LOL: There were moments -- following a narrow 88-85 win over New Orleans at Staples on March 31, when the team looked awful, for example -- and we expected heavy criticism of them in your postgame press conference but didn't get it. You were complimentary instead. Were you reluctant to risk making yourself the news? Do you think going forward you'll have more leeway for public criticism or stronger talk when necessary?

MB: “I’ve never been a guy that looked to put myself in the headlines. I don’t need to publicly bash this individual or these three guys, or even bash the team to get my point across. I’m not trying to get my point across to the media. I’m coaching the 15 guys in the locker room. I’ve always told those guys the truth. I told them the truth in front of their face, in the film room, whenever we did drills, or what not.

For me, I’m not a guy that feels like I need to send a message to the team through the media. It’s not my style. Looking back at it, I know there were a lot more headlines in the past but for me I think of our club more as being in a bunker. It’s us, and us that has to stick together, and us that has to figure out our problems. I believe that the more that you include people outside of that bunker, the more problems you’re going to have.

Now it’s going to be a lot of things you’re going to have to answer throughout the course of the year that in my opinion I don’t need to spend my time and energy on. Yeah, if the team doesn’t play well -- we didn’t defend, we didn’t do this, we didn’t do that -- I’m going to tell the truth, but for me to publicly bash the team to prove a point or try to get a message across or try to act bigger than what I am? That doesn’t need to happen.

LOL: So it’s fair to say what you might have said to us after any given game or practice isn’t necessarily what you told the team?

MB: “That is fair to say.”

LOL: Do you prefer your team be a front runner? Would you prefer your team be thought of as a sleeper? Because obviously the expectations are going to be a lot higher this year.

“Everybody says that -- expectations, expectations, pressure, pressure, pressure. Pressure to me occurs if you’re not prepared, and we’ll be prepared.

Having said that, yes you understand people’s thoughts and expectations, but I’m telling you this: I don’t think there was anybody last year that expected us and said it was ok that we got knocked out in the second round, or that we didn’t win the West. I don’t think there’s one person in L.A. that can honestly say they didn’t expect more.

You look at other teams, there’s some other teams out there -- Stan Van Gundy isn’t back for Orlando. You can figure some lesser teams, the coaches aren’t there. This business is about winning. So the expectations when you talk about last year and this year, to me our expectation last year was to win a championship. Our expectation this year is to win a championship, and if I asked you or anybody else, I think you guys would have expected us to win last year, just like you expect us to win this year. That’s no different.

I understand why people say that, this year especially, with the addition of Nash and Howard, but at the end of the day the reality of it is we have to go through Oklahoma City. They won the West. We have to go through the Miami Heat, because they’re the NBA champions. We don’t have anything right now to say that we’re the team to beat except we do have a nice team that Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak put together on paper. Now we have to try to go get it, but we have to go through the teams that were the Western Conference champion and the NBA champion.”

LOL: So basically, given that you’re going to be on the hot seat anyway, you might as well have a roster that makes it easier for you to get where you’re expected to go?

MB: “Bingo, and that’s what I like about this job. The level of expectations that we have as an organization doesn’t sit with just making the playoffs. Every year, ownership and management want to compete for a championship. As a coach, I don’t know why you would want to be put in any other situation, unless you’re just happy getting a paycheck or being a coach in the NBA. I want to be put in a situation where year in, year out I have an opportunity to win. You know? In my opinion, that’s my dream and should be the dream of anybody that’s a competitor. This situation warrants that.”

LOL: Do you really think you should have won a title last year? You mentioned that you thought media had the expectation of a title. I know I didn’t think you guys were good enough.

“I think at the end of the day, everybody, for the most part -- there might be some media people, there might be some people that had an understanding of some of the deficiencies that we (might) have had last year, but I still think at the end of the day with the way we exited and throughout the year with some of the ups and downs we had, yeah (I) didn’t think anything less than that.

Again, I think it’s just the nature of the culture that has been built around this team, when you talk about the city of Los Angeles.”

LOL: Given that if something really bad happens and you guys flame out, your job becomes something people will talk about (in terms of security), given that, are you more excited about this year than last?

“If you think back to last year, there were plenty of people that talked about whether or not I should have a job coming into the season.”

LOL: That is true.

“And that’s where I’m going with it. Whether I have this team or I have last year’s team, or I’m in Cleveland and we won 60-something games two years in a row, people are always going to talk in my opinion -- not just me, but other coaches, too -- about whether or not a coach should be here the following year. I have no control over that, so I’m just excited that I’m able to be here in this organization and coaching this group of guys.”
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 am

The 2011-12 season was difficult for the Lakers. Whatever shred of opportunity they had to properly integrate new systems on both sides of the ball under head coach Mike Brown in the wake of the lockout -- and it wasn't much -- evaporated in the fallout of the nixed Chris Paul deal and resulting trade of Lamar Odom. There were huge holes in the roster, from the lack of bench depth to secondary scoring in the backcourt. Ramon Sessions, acquired to shore up the point guard spot, flamed out in the playoffs.

Still, Brown looks back and believes they were capable of a title.

"There might be some people that had an understanding of some of the deficiencies that we (might) have had last year," Brown said in a phone conversation last week, "but I still think at the end of the day with the way we exited and throughout the year with some of the ups and downs we had, yeah (I) didn’t think anything less than that."

Believing your team can win a championship, and accepting no less, is basically woven into the job description of Lakers head coach, something Brown, an optimistic guy not big on excuses, fully accepts. Still, rough patches and criticism of his first year notwithstanding, looking back at 78 regular season and playoff games it's difficult to believe the Lakers were good enough to win a title no matter who coached them, whether Brown or some amalgam of Phil, Pop, Riles, and Red. Neither the eyeball test nor statistics -- based on Basketball Reference's expected wins formula, the Lakers should have won 36 games, not 41 -- suggested otherwise.

Quantifying the impact of a head coach in the NBA has always been a tricky exercise. Good coaching choices pay off, and they fail. Bad ones sometimes prove inconsequential or even look smart based on the results. Quality players and luck can elevate mediocre work on the sidelines and on the practice floor, while poor talent undercuts even the best coaching performances. Coaches can look brilliant one season and incompetent the next, as personnel and context changes around them. Last year, in relation to the Lakers' title chances, Brown's role was ultimately moot, because the team had too many holes coaching couldn't fill. In the NBA, talent is primary and the Lakers didn't have enough.

That was then.

The Lakers celebrated the 4th of July by importing Steve Nash from Phoenix, and have since added
Brown knows the scrutiny he faced last season is nothing in comparison to what awaits this year, and he's fine with it.

"“Everybody says that -- expectations, expectations, pressure, pressure, pressure. Pressure to me occurs if you’re not prepared, and we’ll be prepared. Having said that, I’m telling you this: I don’t think there was anybody last year that said it was ok that we got knocked out in the second round, or that we didn’t win the West," he said. "Our expectation last year was to win a championship. Our expectation this year is to win a championship."

Head coach of the Lakers is a job where the seat is always hot, something Brown knew and accepted when he took the job. But if anything less than championships eventually gets him fired, Brown happily accepts the burden of expectations if it comes with a roster truly capable of delivering hardware.

"As a coach, I don’t know why you would want to be put in any other situation, unless you’re just happy getting a paycheck or being a coach in the NBA. I want to be put in a situation where year in, year out I have an opportunity to win. You know? I my opinion, that’s my dream and should be the dream of anybody that’s a competitor. This situation warrants that," he said.

Brown's biggest ally -- aside from all the new talent -- is time, in the form of a real training camp with some semblance of roster stability, and a second season without Phil Jackson in the big chair. The context of this season will be completely different than last, something Brown believes can improve the connection to his players.

“Everything was so rushed [last year, because of the lockout], and not only was everything so rushed, you’re talking about a culture that’s been what it was for 10, 12 years. However long they’ve been going this way," Brown said. "For Phil to be here and to have the success that he had for as long as he had, for me to come in -- and obviously being myself because I can’t be Phil -- that had to have been a culture shock to the players, too."

Stepping into the void left by arguably the most successful coach in the history of modern team sports, it was impossible for Brown to replicate Jackson's gravitas. He was smart not to try, particularly given the difference in jewelry count, with Brown's ring as an assistant in San Antonio in 2003 weighed against the bling of his new team.

The Lakers weren't the young group Brown inherited in Cleveland but a fully formed team of veterans.

“We’re a temperamental bunch that want to win, and want to win now. We’re all very intelligent, which makes us very stubborn at the same time,” Kobe Bryant said about Brown before the start of last year's first round series with Denver. “You have to make sure your ducks are all in a row. You have to make sure if you’re going to make an argument for something or say something, you have to make sure you have a good reason for it and you explain it. You don’t say “Jump!” and we say “How high?”

The push/pull between Brown and his players was constant and at times produced real tension, handled very well by Brown in some instances and less elegantly in others. Brown admits he didn't fully anticipate the media scrutiny surrounding the Lakers, and how seemingly minor things almost instantly become crises. Overall, 2011-12 was a constant process of learning and unlearning for both Brown and his players.

Brown believes the connection to his players improved throughout the year. It should improve more going forward. This year, the "new guy's" ways will be less new, and while Jackson's shadow is long and his influence remains -- Bryant can't/won't be de-Phil'd at this point of his career -- that the roster only sports three players spending more than one season under P.J. (Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Metta World Peace) can't hurt.

Time also allows adjustments. Last year, Brown gradually loosened the reigns on his offense, calling less from the sidelines and giving players more responsibility. This year he'll take it a step further, installing the Princeton offense. It's not the triangle, but the Princeton shares similar traits (ball movement, reading a defense and reacting accordingly, and an appreciation for skilled-passing bigs). Most importantly, it's a system.

For the Lakers, a veteran and high I.Q. bunch with players like Bryant and Gasol who have thrived with similar structure in the offense, it's a smart move. "This team is built that way," Brown says, "and because they’re built that way, because they’re used to it, I think it will help them out at the end of the day.”

So many questions still surround Brown, and whether he belongs in the conversation of truly top-shelf coaches. On the one hand, among active coaches only Tom Thibodeau (.757) and Gregg Popovich (.680) best Brown's regular season winning percentage of .658. Still just 42 years old, Brown has already coached 83 playoff games and unless things go very wrong over the next two years, will enter the top-20 all-time in that category. He's been to two Conference Finals and one Finals. He's plucked from the Popovich tree. The resume has strong points.

On the other, though people tend to cut Brown some slack for the wax job put on Brown's Cavs in the '07 Finals -- the Spurs were that much better -- twice in Cleveland his teams ran up the league's highest win total and fell short of a Finals. His creativity and responsiveness to in-game situations has been criticized, along with his skill at formulating an offense. Many still wonder if Brown, as decent a person as you'll ever meet in sports, is a strong enough presence to command genuine respect among the league's elite. And for a guy with a great rep as a defensive coach, as last season progressed the Lakers slipped on their own end.

He's won a lot of games, boosters say. Of course he has, reply the critics. Look at who he's coached. (In that, Brown has something in common with Jackson, who hears that knock frequently from those looking to undercut his 11 titles.)

Now with the obstacles of last season stripped away, everyone -- his players, his employers, fans, and media alike -- will get a truer picture of who Brown is as a coach and how capable he is of guiding a team of this quality and construction, with more talent than anything he had in Cleveland.

Rings have a way of changing narratives for players and coaches alike.

The book on Brown isn't fully written, but a big chunk of copy is coming this year, and could determine how many more chapters follow in Los Angeles.
JSM

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:11 am

"I thought we had a solid year.”

Sorry to be a racist but this is not what I want a Lakers coach should say... a solid year? it was crapfest most of the time, we can't hold on to leads, it was not solid Mike. #FireMikeBrown
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby KB24 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:56 am

3rd in the west and losing to OKC in some close games is an expected result.

41-25 is not solid though.

Nonthelesss I hate if we go to a system offense now with Nash and lots of P&R partners...but I also love that Brown says: screw pressure, if you want to win and you should, there isn't a better place to coach than the Lakers with sky high expectations.

Behind closed doors he didn't think we were solid...or else we wouldn't have so many reinforcements.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard