Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion: (Brown's last chance?)

Postby revgen on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:51 pm

I agree with Mike Brown that we had a solid year last season.

Here's the problem. Our team was not built to be solid. It was built to win a championship. Frankly, he should shut his trap and stop trying to defend what happened last season.

We picked up Coach Nash, Coach Jordan, and Coach Bikerstaff to deal with his incompetence. If he screws up this season, we're probably going to kick him out and replace him mid-season with either Bickerstaff or Jordan.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:08 pm

He's a really likeable guy, just not a great coach. I like what he says about competitiveness and he seems to understand that Kobe/Gasol need a structured offense to be really successful together. But then he continues talking about how he's going to incorporate the Princeton with other things that worked from last season. What worked from last season? There was only one play I remember that worked a majority of the time and that was the pick and roll between Gasol/Bynum. But that's it. The rest of that "offense" can burn in an ocean of fire.

I did like this though:
The way that we’ll put it together, Steve’s going to have an opportunity -- he’s going to quarterback the team -- and so he’s going to have an opportunity to come down the floor every possession and in early offense play pick-and-roll if he wants to. It’s up to him, based on where he decides to take the ball or a call that he makes or an action that he does, it’s up to him to get us into some of the looks of the Princeton offense.
Good. Give Steve the keys to the offense and get the hell out of the way.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:05 pm

^^ was about to quote the same part of the article.

BTW, isn't it hilarious that the interviewers initials are LOL? Especially funny when you read that after some of Browns responses.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby MadMax on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:55 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
"I thought we had a solid year.”

Sorry to be a racist but this is not what I want a Lakers coach should say... a solid year? it was crapfest most of the time, we can't hold on to leads, it was not solid Mike. #FireMikeBrown

:man3:
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:59 pm

MadMax wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
"I thought we had a solid year.”

Sorry to be a racist but this is not what I want a Lakers coach should say... a solid year? it was crapfest most of the time, we can't hold on to leads, it was not solid Mike. #FireMikeBrown

:man3:

He's referencing a claim made by a poster in the Mike Brown confidence thread that much of the dislike for Mike Brown is racially motivated.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Finwë wrote:^^ was about to quote the same part of the article.

BTW, isn't it hilarious that the interviewers initials are LOL? Especially funny when you read that after some of Browns responses.

Yeah I was going to ask who the interviewer was? The author is one of the Kameniski (?) brothers. So who is "LOL"?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:09 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Yeah I was going to ask who the interviewer was? The author is one of the Kameniski (?) brothers. So who is "LOL"?

Their Blog is called Land O Lakers.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:22 pm

TIME wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Their Blog is called Land O Lakers.

that makes sense.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 pm

Still not a fan of Brown. I guess having a definitive system that we can turn to when all else fails is nice, but this offense should be Nash-centric.
Center Court

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:53 am

MB: “I like some of the things that we did last year, and we’re going to keep some of those things in place. But in the same breath, I’ve always been infatuated with what Eddie [Jordan] did when he was in Washington. I think if you take away the individual players and how talented they are -- obviously if you have certain players it doesn’t matter what you run as long as you run something to their strengths, you’re going to have success offensively.

So if you take away the individual players and their strengths and all that and just look at the purity of different offenses and how to defend them on a night in, night out basis, I always felt that the stuff (Jordan) did in Washington was difficult to defend. It was difficult to come up with a game plan because of the spacing and ball movement, and stuff like that. It’s a stress free offense, because of the counters that are built in, and so on and so forth. So I started looking into that at the beginning of the summer a little bit, and talked with a couple of guys that have done it on the collegiate level and on the professional level, and then I brought Eddie in for a while.

So he thought the Washington Wizards were hard to defend. Hmmm.... What was their record??? 20-46. :bang: Washington's offense was ranked 20th in the league. :freak2:

Seriously, Brown, just shut it. If you don't say anything, at least it won't reveal that you have no idea what you are talking about. You have no idea what the Princeton offense is, and now you want to run it. GTFO. Why can't we just hire someone who knows of these "things" instead of watching you trying to learn what these "things" are. This guys still doesn't understand that you don't run offense to get your star shots, they can get shots any time they want. You run an offense so your role players can get easy shots and get them into position for success.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby SublimeAnarky on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:50 am

jimbo327 wrote:
MB: “I like some of the things that we did last year, and we’re going to keep some of those things in place. But in the same breath, I’ve always been infatuated with what Eddie [Jordan] did when he was in Washington. I think if you take away the individual players and how talented they are -- obviously if you have certain players it doesn’t matter what you run as long as you run something to their strengths, you’re going to have success offensively.

So if you take away the individual players and their strengths and all that and just look at the purity of different offenses and how to defend them on a night in, night out basis, I always felt that the stuff (Jordan) did in Washington was difficult to defend. It was difficult to come up with a game plan because of the spacing and ball movement, and stuff like that. It’s a stress free offense, because of the counters that are built in, and so on and so forth. So I started looking into that at the beginning of the summer a little bit, and talked with a couple of guys that have done it on the collegiate level and on the professional level, and then I brought Eddie in for a while.

So he thought the Washington Wizards were hard to defend. Hmmm.... What was their record??? 20-46. :bang: Washington's offense was ranked 20th in the league. :freak2:

Seriously, Brown, just shut it. If you don't say anything, at least it won't reveal that you have no idea what you are talking about. You have no idea what the Princeton offense is, and now you want to run it. GTFO. Why can't we just hire someone who knows of these "things" instead of watching you trying to learn what these "things" are. This guys still doesn't understand that you don't run offense to get your star shots, they can get shots any time they want. You run an offense so your role players can get easy shots and get them into position for success.

to be fair to potato head - i think he was referencing the fact that in 4 out of 6 seasons (03-08) that Eddie Jordan was with Washington, the Wiz were top 6 in PPG in the league..
SublimeAnarky

Postby The Rock on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:23 am

Didn't the Wizards (Eddie Jordan) and Cavs (Mike Brown) go at it in the playoffs for like 4 consecutive years? So at least both have extensive knowledge of the Princeton, at least Eddie can teach it better

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:20 pm

guaranteed Brown will use this lineup:

Nash
Blake
Kobe
Pau
Dwight

bc "Steve Blake is an experienced vet and Meeks doesnt have that same experience" or some lame excuse like that... :bang:
Ariza3

Postby Dfishman on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:37 pm

I don't know how many of you have seen Lakers "Behind the Scenes" on TW cable (I believe most of the footage was available on the Lakers' official website) but I caught up with it last night and was struck by how awkward, insecure and stupid Mike Brown comes off in EVERY SINGLE encounter he has with one of the Lakers' new players (Dwight, Nash). This man is a total clown and has no business working for the Lakers.

I desperately hope we win a ring this season but I shutter to think of the job security it may bring potato head.
Dfishman

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm

I saw that too. All of his self-deprecating jokes about losing his job, I can only hope it's self-fulfilling as well.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:56 am

i know its the preseason but hopefully he doesnt have 2hr+ practices on game days in the regular season bc we'll get out worked every game like today then
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:44 pm

is it me or is our 2nd unit's offense just passing the ball around the perimeter until there 5 seconds left on the clock and then someone tries to drive to the rim and either loses the ball, commits a charge, or flat out misses, or just takes a contested shot from the perimeter?
Ariza3

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:56 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I saw that too. All of his self-deprecating jokes about losing his job, I can only hope it's self-fulfilling as well.

Yeah, except NO because that is one of this main roster's two chances or even just one to win a ring after which Kobe very well may not be there to help them try again. It's a Catch 22. Brown gone but another chance shot, if it was Brown's fault to some degree. If we win then it probably locks him in longer when maybe someone on his staff even this year might be a better choice.

:man1: Although....there is the third possibility that he is effing things up with the rotations, player's time management and lack of elite level real time adjustments being made in games.....and they cut their losses with him this year during the season and we go on to win with a better coach taking over. :man1: Hey....hope he turns out to be a great coach. Just not sold that is even a possibility yet.
LTLakerFan

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:51 pm

His Cleveland teams were good defensively, and def was not LeBron. I hope he can at least get this team to be one of the best defensively in the league. Then let Nash run the offense. Second team needs a pg leader though, maybe Barbosa?
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Dfishman on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:58 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I saw that too. All of his self-deprecating jokes about losing his job, I can only hope it's self-fulfilling as well.

Yeah, except NO because that is one of this main roster's two chances or even just one to win a ring after which Kobe very well may not be there to help them try again. It's a Catch 22. Brown gone but another chance shot, if it was Brown's fault to some degree. If we win then it probably locks him in longer when maybe someone on his staff even this year might be a better choice.

:man1: Although....there is the third possibility that he is effing things up with the rotations, player's time management and lack of elite level real time adjustments being made in games.....and they cut their losses with him this year during the season and we go on to win with a better coach taking over. :man1: Hey....hope he turns out to be a great coach. Just not sold that is even a possibility yet.

I like the third possibility. How sad is it that I view the best case scenario as being the one where our coach gets fired mid season... And no, Brown turning into a great coach is not the best case scenario because it's not a possible scenario.

Is it possible for Phil to have secret coaching sessions/practices with our players that Mike Brown never finds out about?
Dfishman

Postby ben_ready on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Mike Brown is trolling our franchise. I mean look at his dumb decisions! He can't be real. I'm all for brothas getting jobs but he has no understanding of momentum, especially in the playoffs yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby charvin on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:39 pm

About time he actually got serious on rotations =s

http://www.foxsportswest.com/10/13/12/Brown-not-concerned-about-Ws-and-Ls/landing_lakers.html?blockID=804503&feedID=3709

"I'll start looking at putting the guys together who are going to get most of the playing time after the fourth game," Brown said before Saturday's contest. "Right now, though, I'm still going to mix and match, and some of the starters won't finish the game. We'll let some of these other guys taste what it's like to play here.

"After Game 4, we'll start figuring out what we're going to do going into the regular season."
charvin

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:57 pm

We know Brown as a defensive coach, but last year the Lakers were outside the top 6 in defensive efficiency for the first time since the 2007-8 season.

Granted the lockout season was odd in that there was a week long training camp where the CP3 debacle affected our team dynamic. But still...Brown has yet to gain any confidence from the majority of the fan base and stats like this don't help.....especially if that is your expertise.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:07 pm

charvin wrote:About time he actually got serious on rotations =s

http://www.foxsportswest.com/10/13/12/Brown-not-concerned-about-Ws-and-Ls/landing_lakers.html?blockID=804503&feedID=3709

"I'll start looking at putting the guys together who are going to get most of the playing time after the fourth game," Brown said before Saturday's contest. "Right now, though, I'm still going to mix and match, and some of the starters won't finish the game. We'll let some of these other guys taste what it's like to play here.

"After Game 4, we'll start figuring out what we're going to do going into the regular season."

Hopefully he sticks to his word. Did he ever have a strict rotation in Cleveland?
XXIV

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:06 pm

I just spent some time watching training camp videos of Doc Rivers, Doug Collins, George Karl, Greg Popovic and Ric Adelman. And then I watched the camp interviews with Mike Brown.

I've said before that I didn't think that even a guy like MB could screw up a lineup with Nash, Kobe, Dwight, and Pau, but now I'm not so sure. My memories of 2004 don't help either.

We hired Phil because Del Harris couldn't get to the Finals with Shaq, Kobe, Van Exel, Eddie Jones, and with Horry, Fox, and Cambell coming off the bench. I hope we don't have to do the same with this lineup.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard