Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion: (Brown's last chance?)

Postby OX1947 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:22 pm

The Pet Detective and Eric Spo have won the last two championships as coaches. The art of great coaching to win a title has gone the way of "defense wins championships" in the NFL.
OX1947

Postby solenstyle on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 pm

revgen wrote:I just spent some time watching training camp videos of Doc Rivers, Doug Collins, George Karl, Greg Popovic and Ric Adelman. And then I watched the camp interviews with Mike Brown.

I've said before that I didn't think that even a guy like MB could screw up a lineup with Nash, Kobe, Dwight, and Pau, but now I'm not so sure. My memories of 2004 don't help either.

We hired Phil because Del Harris couldn't get to the Finals with Shaq, Kobe, Van Exel, Eddie Jones, and with Horry, Fox, and Cambell coming off the bench. I hope we don't have to do the same with this lineup.

I feel the same way.

WTF Mike

;_;
solenstyle

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:34 pm

OX1947 wrote:The Pet Detective and Eric Spo have won the last two championships as coaches. The art of great coaching to win a title has gone the way of "defense wins championships" in the NFL.

^Pet detective actually isn't a bad coach. And while I agree on Spo to an extent, at least he has the Coach Whisperer upstairs to advise him if he's doing something he shouldn't be doing. But I'll concede your point that the league is different now than it was 10 years ago, especially with the no-touch rules. Give it to Lebron or KD and set a pick is the special play coaches draw up in the timeout these days. And it works too since nobody can touch them on the perimeter.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby OX1947 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:38 pm

revgen wrote:
OX1947 wrote:The Pet Detective and Eric Spo have won the last two championships as coaches. The art of great coaching to win a title has gone the way of "defense wins championships" in the NFL.

^Pet detective actually isn't a bad coach. And while I agree on Spo to an extent, at least he has the Coach Whisperer upstairs to advise him if he's doing something he shouldn't be doing. But I'll concede your point that the league is different now than it was 10 years ago, especially with the no-touch rules. Give it to Lebron or KD and set a pick is the special play coaches draw up in the timeout these days. And it works too since nobody can touch them on the perimeter.

Ray Finkel's investigator calls timeouts after every 2-0 run. That's all he does. Call timeouts.
OX1947

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:47 pm

OX1947 wrote:
revgen wrote:

Ray Finkel's investigator calls timeouts after every 2-0 run. That's all he does. Call timeouts.

I don't agree. He's a very good defensive coach and a competent offensive coach. In fact when Indiana went to the Finals in 2000, it was him calling the plays and directing the players for the most part. Not Bird. Bird even pushed for the Pacers to hire Carlisle when he decided to retire from head coaching and go to the front office. Walsh decided to hire Thomas instead.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:06 pm

is phil getting bored of retirement yet
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 pm

I think Brown may very well be the worst Lakers coach I've ever seen. He's worse than Del Harris actually. Del at least overachieved when he first got here. Brown's been underachieving since day one. I think Randy Pfund might have been better. Maybe not Rambis. That one's up in the air.
Lakerjones

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing

Mike Brown's conservative approach to building this Lakers season continues: After a day off for players Sunday, another day off tomorrow.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Lakerjones wrote:I think Brown may very well be the worst Lakers coach I've ever seen. He's worse than Del Harris actually. Del at least overachieved when he first got here. Brown's been underachieving since day one. I think Randy Pfund might have been better. Maybe not Rambis. That one's up in the air.

Overachieved? :man10:

Stop it. Last year outside of our top three guys in Kobe, Drew, and Pau that roster was very, very inept from a talent perspective. Absolutely zero depth/bench. Arguably the worst bench in Lakers history. We finished where we should've. Hell you could argue the team overachieved.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:I think Brown may very well be the worst Lakers coach I've ever seen. He's worse than Del Harris actually. Del at least overachieved when he first got here. Brown's been underachieving since day one. I think Randy Pfund might have been better. Maybe not Rambis. That one's up in the air.

Stop it. Last year outside of our top three guys in Kobe, Drew, and Pau that roster was very, very inept from a talent perspective. Absolutely zero depth/bench. Arguably the worst bench in Lakers history. We finished where we should've. Hell you could argue the team overachieved.

What's so funny? You don't think Del Harris overachieved when he first got here? Have you seen the 1994-95 roster? He took that roster as far as last year's team went and earned a Coach of the Year award for it. Eddie Jones was still a rookie. That's called overachievement. And I never liked Del Harris. I think you better check out your Laker history and cool it with the emoticons.

Last year's coaching job was not overachieving by Mike Brown.
Lakerjones

Postby BDG on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Team looked very confused tonight. However, it is still preseason.

We need to make some roster cuts and Brown needs to stop mixing and matching lineups at this point (at least for the first half) so the team can actually get into a rhythm before the regular season starts.

Guys have to know who will generally be on the floor with them and also have to know where they're gonna get their shots from.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:05 pm

BDG wrote:We need to make some roster cuts and Brown needs to stop mixing and matching lineups at this point (at least for the first half) so the team can actually get into a rhythm before the regular season starts.

this.
lakersyunowin

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 pm

ill give him a little benefit of the doubt tonight since all our PFs were out. his postgame interview somewhat made sense for once. he said the only one that knew how to play the PF in this offense was antawn and everyone else had to try to adjust as best as they could. hes still a horrible coach and the biggest obstacle standing in the way of this team succeeding though.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby l__o on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:21 am

WTF MIKE BROWN
Somebody play the rotation properly plx.
And stop playing the trash player as chances were given to them for 4 matches already.
l__o

Postby TIME on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:42 am

fksteveblake wrote:
BDG wrote:We need to make some roster cuts and Brown needs to stop mixing and matching lineups at this point (at least for the first half) so the team can actually get into a rhythm before the regular season starts.

this.

Your new avvy is both likeable and deeply disturbing... much like the coach it represents.
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:27 am

TIME wrote:
fksteveblake wrote:

this.

Your new avvy is both likeable and deeply disturbing... much like the coach it represents.

:man10:
lakersyunowin

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:31 am

Lakerjones wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:

What's so funny? You don't think Del Harris overachieved when he first got here? Have you seen the 1994-95 roster? He took that roster as far as last year's team went and earned a Coach of the Year award for it. Eddie Jones was still a rookie. That's called overachievement. And I never liked Del Harris. I think you better check out your Laker history and cool it with the emoticons.

Last year's coaching job was not overachieving by Mike Brown.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAP! Cool-headed Lakerjones bustin' out the smackdown.

P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby easyguy on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:31 am

Any chance of getting Phil back? I missed his lax attitude, compare to Brown, I'm confused and dont know what I'm doing coaching. It always seem to me that he is over his head with the Lakers. Brown might be a good high school basketball coach, but an NBA coach?

Nothing will change with Brown, last season he had some crazy rotations, I dont see it changing this year. I see us wasting this perfect year on this guy and we will not win the chip with this guy being our head coach.
easyguy

Postby revgen on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 am

^Coaches get fired constantly. If Pop, Rivers, Adelman, or Karl are available the Lakers will call them. Phil retired for health-related reasons. I don't see him coming back anytime soon.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:54 am

revgen wrote:^Coaches get fired constantly. If Pop, Rivers, Adelman, or Karl are available the Lakers will call them. Phil retired for health-related reasons. I don't see him coming back anytime soon.

the scary thing is that they did indeed call adelman..but passed on him for mike brown. :freak2:
lakersyunowin

Postby XXIV on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:17 pm

fksteveblake wrote:
revgen wrote:^Coaches get fired constantly. If Pop, Rivers, Adelman, or Karl are available the Lakers will call them. Phil retired for health-related reasons. I don't see him coming back anytime soon.

the scary thing is that they did indeed call adelman..but passed on him for mike brown. :freak2:

Adelman admitted he was highly interested in the Lakers gig, Mitch wanted him, Jerry Buss wanted him, but Jim wanted Mike and that's what they went with. :bang:
XXIV

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:34 pm

they only interviewed mike brown. no one else. not even brian shaw.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:18 pm

^ Yeah, Shaw found out when a reporter asked him how he felt not being selected as head coach. That's cold.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:36 pm

i think shaw would have done much better than brown. at least he played in the nba and under the greatest coach. plus now that were running the princeton which is similiar to the triangle i think we would be more successful with him than brown.
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard