Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion thread

Postby lakersfever on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:40 pm

End of discussion.
lakersfever

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:41 pm

It's no surprise we were heading for disaster ... I don't know how many times I heard him say " the focus is on defense , offensively, we are going to find ways to score with the talent we have"
wcsoldier81

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Brown is NOT HC material IMO, he is going to wear the crap out of our big 3, not entirely his fault but its gona happen. We use to hate on Phil for benching Kobe till 6 min mark in the 4th even if we started losing or the deficit got bigger. Unfortunately even leaving Kobe out there we still suck on O cause its the same BS garbage, give it to Kobe and let him take whatever shot he wants, good/bad who cares, dont pass it either :mad1: Brown needs to be assistant period, guy is full of cliches just like Doc Rivers but at least Doc can actually coach both ends of the floor.
khmrP

Postby brickshooter on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 pm

Reality check.

That was the Knicks defense that held the Mike Brown offense to 85 points.

The D'Antoni defense.

The D'Antoni defense absent two of its starters.

Two starters who happen to be front court players.

I won't even mention the fact that I'm excluding Lin, who for all this offensive talent isn't exactly an elite defender.

Everyone knows that D'Antoni doesn't believe in coaching defense right?

Everyone?
brickshooter

Postby Forward Three on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:58 pm

WilliamHaven wrote:on offense the guys for the most part look very confused and lost. even when phil was teaching the triangle to new guys, they would be able to turn out some sort of respectable offensive game. this is just not good coaching.

Yes, this is becoming increasingly apparent. There is just no cohesion to the offense. Players don't know really what they are supposed to be doing and everyone is apprehensive to take shots, even when they are wide open. No one gets in rhythm and no one is finding spots on the floor that they are comfortable and effective in.

Phil was such a great coach in part(large part if you ask me) because he was more than a little stubborn. It frustrated the hell out of Lakers fans sometimes, but Phil understood the importance of having clearly defined lineups and allotted minutes per player and how important it is for players, especially guys off the bench, to have as clear of a picture as possible for what it is they have to do in the time that they get.

So far, Mike Brown has been changing the lineup almost every other game. Tweaking minutes, rotations, expectations...etc. And granted, this is inevitable in some respects with a new coach and new players, but at some point, and I think we are past that point already, you have to reel it in and figure out what your team is trying to do, and do your best to do it. If you still come up short, at least you did so with purpose. I, as a fan, could live with that at least. It is rough seeing this team being timid, unsure, indecisive, lost, uncommunicative and generally disheveled offensively.
Forward Three

Postby Forward Three on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:59 pm

brickshooter wrote:Reality check.

The D'Antoni defense.

I won't even mention the fact that I'm excluding Lin, who for all this offensive talent isn't exactly an elite defender.

Everyone?

I wouldn't give the Knicks defense too much credit here. The Lakers were missing shots all night long. They were getting shots, decent looks that the overwhelming majority of professional basketball players should make about 40-60% of the time, and they were missing pretty much on all of them. The thing the Knicks defense did right was completely clobber Bynum in the paint and cheat on our shooters because they knew how bad our shooters are.
Forward Three

Postby noobiew on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:01 pm

So D'Antoni defense > Brown offense

:freak2:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Darrius Lovehall on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:08 pm

This offense will continue to struggle until the Lakers acquire a play making point guard. That's the bottom line.
~ Romance is about the Possibility of the Thing. Ya See. Its about the time between when you first meet some fine woman. Then when you first make Love to her. Or when you first ask a woman to marry you and when she says I Do. When people who been together for a long time say that the Romance is gone...What they’re really saying is they've Exhausted the Possibility.
Darrius Lovehall

Postby thkthebest on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:40 pm

brickshooter wrote:Reality check.

The D'Antoni defense.

Everyone?

The Knicks defense is better without Amare and Carmelo. Jeremy Lin's defense is also one of the aspects about his game that's good. His defense was never really in question. It was whether or not he could produce on the offensive side of the ball.
thkthebest

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:44 pm

^^^come on now Lin didn't have to play any D, he was guarding Fish/Blake, you could just stand 3 ft away from them and watch them launch shot after shot and I'll call that great Defense :man10:
khmrP

Postby thkthebest on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:46 pm

khmrP wrote:^^^come on now Lin didn't have to play any D, he was guarding Fish/Blake, you could just stand 3 ft away from them and watch them launch shot after shot and I'll call that great Defense :man10:

:man10: You're right. Sorry about that. He probably had more energy on the offensive side of the ball since he's never had to just stand around on defense before. I mean, when you had to go up against D-Will, Devin Harris (lol), and John Wall in the past 3 games, going up against Fisher and Blake must have been an extra 24 seconds used to gather some energy.
thkthebest

Postby tttppp on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:38 am

WilliamHaven wrote:on offense the guys for the most part look very confused and lost. even when phil was teaching the triangle to new guys, they would be able to turn out some sort of respectable offensive game. this is just not good coaching.

When Phil was teaching the triangle he had some growing pains because Kwame needed lots of development and teaching of the game. Smush was just mentally retarded.

With Gasol and Fisher out there, there should be minimal if any growing pains for Mike Brown.
tttppp

Postby tttppp on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:43 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:It's no surprise we were heading for disaster ... I don't know how many times I heard him say " the focus is on defense , offensively, we are going to find ways to score with the talent we have"

That doesn't work. Its more important to play as a team and be intelligent on offense than it is to have talent.

If Mike Brown thinks his offense is going to work because of its talent, he's going to have a shorter stay than even I thought. Also, there are only 3 talented players on offense. This isn't the dream team. You don't win just on talent. The rest of the team needs a good scheme to get them shots and get them in rythem.
tttppp

Postby brickshooter on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:48 am

noobiew wrote:So D'Antoni defense > Brown offense

What you said just about sums it up for this Mike Brown offense.
brickshooter

Postby jlkr on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:04 am

The team as it stands isn't playing up to their capabilities. Some of it is the rushed and abbreviated season. Some of it is the new offense and the lack of practice time to learn it. A lot of it is guys that can't hit their shots. Bynum was 1-8 against the Knicks while Kobe was 1-11 into the 3rd quarter, is that Brown's fault? Murphy did hit one three in the first half, but he kept passing up shots the rest of the game, is that Brown's fault Murphy seems to have lost his confidence? Blake, Barnes, MWP, Ebanks, Harris, even Gasol not hitting open shots, is that Brown's fault? Blake getting injured, is that Brown's fault?

Lin and his 38 points notwithstanding, the Brown defense is actually not a disaster: they are 4th in the league in points allowed; they did hold the Celtics to 87 in regulation and OT; and the Knicks to 92.

At this point, there's nothing wrong with Brown's offense that better shooting the open shots they're already getting couldn't cure. Bynum goes 4-8 instead of 1-8 while the rest of the team just hits 3 more shots and this one would have gone into the W column. Just seems like everyone who's supposed to be a decent outside shooter is having an off season. Literally.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:37 am

Lack of offensive rhythm, and lack of plays for the other guys to give them some easy looks. Easy buckets help put you in rhythm.

It seems like Brown lacks the fundumental ideas behind running an effective offensive. It's more than x's and o's. Phil would mention many times in postgame interviews that it's important to put every player in a position where they can be successful. That's one of the primary roles of the coach.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby jimbo327 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:29 am

Lakers are playing like the Cavs back in the days. Only Kobe is playing the role of Lebron, and everyone else is just standing around with no movement. We have way too many guys waiting at the 3pt line for a pass to chuck one up. And none of them are great shooters except for Kapono and Gloc. The offense is a complete mess. The defense is not that great either. We are winning games on the sheer dominance of Kobe, and the size advantage of Pau/Bynum.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby borri on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:57 am

The mere fact that Brown insists on starting Fish AND Ron together is about a dumb as dumb gets. Two guys that no team bothers to guard....doesn't he see that this is why the paint if constantly clogged, that every time Kobe or Drew touches the ball anywhere near the "danger zone" they are immediately double teamed?

Memo to Brown....try starting G-Lock and Kapono with the KGB...i guarantee those constant double teams will become less and less as the game wears on.

Idiot coach.
borri

Postby John3:16 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:12 am

borri wrote:Memo to Brown....try starting Kapono.

:man4:

I agreed with everything you said, but this. Kapono is done. We need to cut our losses with this bum, and the other 1/2 of our roster. He can't guard his shadow, is still waiting for his first career rebound, and can't pass.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:13 am

borri wrote:The mere fact that Brown insists on starting Fish AND Ron together is about a dumb as dumb gets. Two guys that no team bothers to guard....doesn't he see that this is why the paint if constantly clogged, that every time Kobe or Drew touches the ball anywhere near the "danger zone" they are immediately double teamed?

Memo to Brown....try starting G-Lock and Kapono with the KGB...i guarantee those constant double teams will become less and less as the game wears on.

Idiot coach.

Kapano starting really? :man10:

The dude is as DONE as Fisher is. He's pretty much the SF version of Fisher.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby borri on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:18 am

John3:16 wrote:
borri wrote:Memo to Brown....try starting Kapono.

:man4:

I agreed with everything you said, but this. Kapono is done. We need to cut our losses with this bum, and the other 1/2 of our roster. He can't guard his shadow, is still waiting for his first career rebound, and can't pass.

He is still a threat in the eyes of opponents. That's the key for me. Remember how Sasha sucked, yet teams wouldn't leave him alone when he was in with the starting unit? Starting Barnes isn't an option. Teams treat Barnes like they do Ron.....go ahead and shoot.

It might sound drastic, but who else on our team at the 3 that can shoot the ball OR has the reputation of being a dead eye shooter?....only Kapono satisfies this criteria.

The objective is to maximize the big 3. Best way to do it is to make teams think twice about doubling Kobe and Drew.

Brown is basically putting shackles on the big 3 by playing dead weights in Fish and Ron together.
borri

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:09 am

brickshooter wrote:
noobiew wrote:So D'Antoni defense > Brown offense

What you said just about sums it up for this Mike Brown offense.

I wanted to give this coach a chance, however, the fact he's just watched this ship sink says all that needs to be said. He's not the right coach for this team! Any coach who doesnt make adjustments and keeps trying the same things that aren't working doesnt deserve to be our coach. He needs to go back to being a tv anaylst.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby LakerBoyz24 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:25 am

Fire him. He obviously doesn't know what he's doing and him having Fisher on the floor instead of giving the rookies a burn is just a ignorant move. Kind of like how Spur's Coach Popovich kept Tiago Splitter in the doghouse all last year and still giving him limited minutes this year( Mike Brown's refusal to get a pg, any real pg, is just like Spurs ignorance to land a real backup PF/C) only to play him suddenly in the playoffs against Memphis as a desperation move when he was hit with the reality that a 6'6 "center" Dejuan Blair and Matt Bonner wasn't going to cut it in the playoffs.

I watch the whole NBA and even as a Lakers fan this irked me to no end, so it really makes me pissed when my own team does the same thing. Fire him and fire Fisher too, giving the young guns a chance won't hurt at this point especially over Fisher.
LakerBoyz24

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:31 am

i just read the 1st post in this thread for the first time and it made me laugh because everything that was being praised are all the problems the lakers are having every single game now and mike brown is incapable of making any adjustments to rectify it
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:43 am

Say what you want about Mike Brown, but when the players shoot 37 % from the field and 6-24 from the 3 point line, who's fault is that. He can't shoot the shots for them.

How many open/easy looks have we missed this season? It's pathetic. If you put the top 3 point shooters this season on our team, we score 100 plus every game. We just have crap players, taking easy shots, which results in the % and PPG looking like straight garbage.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard