Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion: (Brown's last chance?)

Postby karacha on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
karacha wrote:Sloan is an amazing, no-nonsense coach, but he is old. I'm not sure if he wants to come back.

Old? He's 70. What's the agism all about?

I have nothing against old coaches. I simply said he might not want to come back to coaching. Maybe he's enjoying the retirement. And yes, 70 is old. I mean, male life expectancy in the US is 75, right?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:17 pm

I think we should bring in the combo of SVG and JVG. :man9:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I think we should bring in the combo of SVG and JVG. :man9:

Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:54 pm

karacha wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
karacha wrote:Sloan is an amazing, no-nonsense coach, but he is old. I'm not sure if he wants to come back.

Old? He's 70. What's the agism all about?

I have nothing against old coaches. I simply said he might not want to come back to coaching. Maybe he's enjoying the retirement. And yes, 70 is old. I mean, male life expectancy in the US is 75, right?

I don't either. I don't think 70 is all that old. It's not young, but it's not ancient. I think Sloan looks like he's in pretty good shape.

The point I made was that Sloan was chasing the Bobcats job this summer. I think that means he still wants to coach. And the Lakers are a hell of a lot better gig than Charlotte.

He's the best coach I can think of who wants to work and isn't. There was talk about Phil wanting to come back to coaching but again - I don't see that happening here. I think that ship has sailed for the reasons discussed: too much of a power struggle with him and Jim.

Here's a story about Sloan who was interested in coaching the Bobcats this summer. He took himself out of the running a month later but even then it sounded like he wanted to coach again if a good opportunity arose. This would be one such opportunity if offered I'm sure.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... index.html
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:23 pm

sloan would be a great fit

and im sure if the chance came up to coach the lakers he would take it. anything would be an improvement over brown anyways
432J

Postby kenzo on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:39 pm

What about (and i can't believe im saying it)... wait for it, wait for it...

Pringles? Him and Nash worked great... but then again, he sucked in NY. JVG is another great coach available.
Talking about pipe dreams -> George Karl (Denver is too good though, crap).
kenzo

Postby Johnnyboy on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:28 pm

I agree, I think sloan is strong enough to manage the egos.

PS:
Join the group if you agree brown sux
https://www.facebook.com/groups/214158632049256/
Last edited by Johnnyboy on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnyboy

Postby ThizGuy83 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:37 pm

cuz of the preseason... my excitement went down alot... im gonna wait till month or 2 into the season before i really get pissed off at this fool that calls himself a coach
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 pm

When the team is struggling, Brown often has that confused, "deer in the headlights" look on his face.

Not exactly confidence-inspiring.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:58 pm

The same front office that delivers Howard, Nash, Jamison and Meeks in one summer hand picks this guy and doesn't even interview Brian Shaw.

Y'all wanted Delonte West...well he's already here, apparently taking over Jimmy's office.

Christ...
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby LoyalLakerfan44 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:18 pm

You need a coach that has a complete time tested philosophy. Not some defensive video watching coach that caters to superstars and administration because he has no true credibility and is cheap. Again MB was brought in to be a yes man, and like his name says Brown nose Kobe. I know that besides Phil there are not great choices out there, but a least Adelman would not need a full offensive coaching staff to get his plays on the board. Mark my words by January MB will be out of here. The excuses and failures will be too great to justify the 100 mil failing superstar lineup, and the possible loss of DH12 in free agency.
LoyalLakerfan44

Postby kray28 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:27 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:The same front office that delivers Howard, Nash, Jamison and Meeks in one summer hand picks this guy and doesn't even interview Brian Shaw.

Y'all wanted Delonte West...well he's already here, apparently taking over Jimmy's office.

Christ...

Don't think of the front office as a single monolithic entity. It is made up of people with different roles. Some of the people are better at what they do than others. In some cases, people who are very good at one thing, may be so good at something else.

Mitch is the GM, and as such he handles bringing in free agents, trading/negotiating with other teams and contract talks with players' agents etc.

Jimmy is the personnel side, and that includes talent evaluation and the draft, and it includes coaching.

While MItch may have some input in the draft, when the coaching hiring decision was made, he had the least say of anyone.
kray28

Postby dmaul on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 am

I basically see this as really the last chance that Kobe has to win a championship with the Lakers. If he can't do it with this squad this year, how will he do it next year when he, Nash, and Gasol are one more year removed from their prime? On top of that, you've got Dwight's free agency and hence the future of the franchise hinging on the outcome of this year. So no room for error here. If you dump Brown, you've got to do it before January, give this team enough time to recover with the new coach in place and get something going heading into the playoffs. Honestly, I'm not feeling good about this and we haven't even played the first game.
dmaul

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:15 am

dmaul wrote:I basically see this as really the last chance that Kobe has to win a championship with the Lakers. If he can't do it with this squad this year, how will he do it next year when he, Nash, and Gasol are one more year removed from their prime? On top of that, you've got Dwight's free agency and hence the future of the franchise hinging on the outcome of this year. So no room for error here. If you dump Brown, you've got to do it before January, give this team enough time to recover with the new coach in place and get something going heading into the playoffs. Honestly, I'm not feeling good about this and we haven't even played the first game.

^^ I'm extremely concerned about this as well. If the Lakers don't win it all this year, their core guys are all going to be a year older: Kobe, Nash, Pau and Ron Ron. And there are no absolute guarantees that Howard stays. We all believe he will, but if Brown continues to be a bad coach and we don't win it all, you never know what Howard's decision will be.

Basically, we're all in right now. We even brought in two other head coaches. I know it's not going to happen, but I would cut Brown loose at this very moment and not waste any more time about it. I understand that won't go down, but I do think that if we continue to struggle out there it just might.

I could certainly go with Jordan and Bickerstaff, but as I said before, Jerry Sloan is sitting there unemployed right now. Jerry was vying for the Bobcats job this summer, so he still wants to coach. He took himself out of the running there, but that wasn't an ideal job for him. This is!!

I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Jerry Sloan could take this team to the Finals and beat the Heat. I think he'd actually be the perfect coach for this squad. Better even than Adelman.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten

The Lakers ended practice with some press-breaking inbound plays led by Eddie Jordan. EJ knows his offense.

Step in the right direction. Now just hand off ALL of the offense over to EJ.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Johnnyboy on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:52 am

From day one I said no team coached by brown will win a ring. I definitely hope I'm wrong.
Johnnyboy

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 am

^This one might be the exception; they're stacked. However, Brown is a cause for concern. I would see where this team is right around Feb/March to make a determination. I'm giving them the first half to work out the kinks in their offense/defense.

If it goes beyond that, we need to make a change...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:22 am

From David Aldridge's "Morning Tip":
* COACH ON THE HOT SEAT: Mike Brown, Lakers. It's going to be that way until he either wins a title in L.A. or gets fired. That's unfair, but he knew what the deal was when he signed up.

That
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Coaching change?

Dave McMenamin @mcten 1 minute ago
Tony Delk just walked out of Lakers practice. #random

Eric Pincus @EricPincus 1 minute ago
Yes, that was Tony Delk of all people at the Laker facility - man scored 50 in a game once!

Its more likely that he's vying for an assistant coach position. Who knows?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Dave McMenamin @mcten 1 minute ago
To be clear, Tony Delk was not practicing with the Lakers (although he's only 38, the same age as Steve Nash). He was observing.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Finwë wrote:From David Aldridge's "Morning Tip":
* COACH ON THE HOT SEAT: Mike Brown, Lakers. It's going to be that way until he either wins a title in L.A. or gets fired. That's unfair, but he knew what the deal was when he signed up.

That

Hey, he makes 4 million a year.
OX1947

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Delk, Nash, and Antawn played with each other in 2003-2004. Probably just meeting up to talk.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby dmaul on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Lakerjones wrote:I could certainly go with Jordan and Bickerstaff, but as I said before, Jerry Sloan is sitting there unemployed right now. Jerry was vying for the Bobcats job this summer, so he still wants to coach. He took himself out of the running there, but that wasn't an ideal job for him. This is!!

I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Jerry Sloan could take this team to the Finals and beat the Heat. I think he'd actually be the perfect coach for this squad. Better even than Adelman.

Maybe it's me, but I really feel like we should have no patience with this team, that they shouldn't be running an offense that's so complicated that it will take them most of the season to learn and get right. I'd rather they focus on defensive schemes and philosophy. As for offense, I'd trust that between Nash, Kobe, and Gasol, there is enough basketball smarts and experience between them to know what to run and to tailor their game to the opposition night in and night out. With the kind of personnel we have you don't have to be that complex. Keep it simple and be fundamentally sound.

I agree, Sloan would be fantastic.
dmaul

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:34 pm

^^ Right on, dmaul. I'm with you all the way. I don't have patience either and I don't think we should. The core isn't getting any younger. Mitch put together a dream lineup, but it doesn't seem like they have the coaching to put them over the top as it is. We appeared incredibly unorganized this preseason. That's something I never expected. Not even with a new offense, not even with Dwight missing some time. There really was no excuse for the chaos I saw on the court. Chemistry is something needs time to develop, no doubt. But confusion, massive amounts of turnovers, terrible rotations, blowout losses - those are things we shouldn't be seeing, at least not to the degree we did.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:42 am

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2012/10/29/102912Brownmov-2266416

Mike Brown practice report

Watch around the 8:20 mark. Brown addresses what happened in the preseason in terms of implementing the system instead of just letting Nash run P&R and do his thing.. The explanation isn't so bad (OK, it's pretty bad :man10: ), I just hope his "long haul" plan works.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard