Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion: (Brown's last chance?)

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Finwë wrote:http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2012/10/29/102912Brownmov-2266416

Mike Brown practice report

Watch around the 8:20 mark. Brown addresses what happened in the preseason in terms of implementing the system instead of just letting Nash run P&R and do his thing.. The explanation isn't so bad (OK, it's pretty bad :man10: ), I just hope his "long haul" plan works.

^^ Good find and post Finwë. First of all, it's nice to see Brown in a pretty down to earth interview. I've never disliked him as a person at all, and this shows him as he is - a good guy as many have said. In some ways, watching this demonstrates why Jim Buss really fell for him: he was probably a really good interview, he's certainly articulate and presents himself as a knowledgeable person and has praise for his players and for other coaches. Nice guy no doubt.

But I don't buy that explanation about the preseason at all. It doesn't make sense. You need to spend the time practicing what you are going to do, not what you aren't going to do. So you want to have the players confused and trying things that they probably won't do in the season during the preseason?

Though I think he's a good guy and has some good qualities, I think he's too deferential/buddy buddy with Kobe, and I feel like the new offense is a bit of an excuse on his part. Also the defense really hasn't been very good, regardless of the offense, not because of it.

In other words, I'm seeing more why Jim Buss liked him, but I'm not any more convinced that he has the leadership to take us all the way. But I guess we shall see. His lack of apparent urgency and talk of the process might be more believable to me if it were Phil talking.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:12 pm

like a catch 22 for me, dont want him here but dont want team to fail and if they win it all he aint going nowhere
khmrP

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:15 pm

I mean.. it does make sense for the most part. Yes, he right: we could just play P&R and let Nash create while playing tough D, but is that going to win basketball games for us when it really counts? Probably not. "Nash ball" by itself wins regular season games, but not necessarily in the playoffs. You have to have something else to fall back on; bench players will need that system too. Then you mix things up and of course it is difficult right now. So, it's better to lose 8 preseason games, and/or start as a .500 team, if it means better chemistry and peaking late in the season. I understand what he is saying. Can he implement this with Eddie's help? Let's hope so.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:41 pm

karacha wrote:I mean.. it does make sense for the most part. Yes, he right: we could just play P&R and let Nash create while playing tough D, but is that going to win basketball games for us when it really counts? Probably not. "Nash ball" by itself wins regular season games, but not necessarily in the playoffs. You have to have something else to fall back on; bench players will need that system too. Then you mix things up and of course it is difficult right now. So, it's better to lose 8 preseason games, and/or start as a .500 team, if it means better chemistry and peaking late in the season. I understand what he is saying. Can he implement this with Eddie's help? Let's hope so.

Exactly my take. I don't mind the concept, I actually think it's a good idea, though I am a little skeptical on whether he can pull it off in time. Let's hope he can
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:54 pm

At least he finally took time to explain what he's doing; and he's pretty eloquent when he wants to be (instead of just goofing around and reading stats). Maybe he could explain his rotations next, and his idea to play Jamison at the 3. I am sure there's a reason behind it. After all, like him or not, Brown is an NBA coach and we're just fans. He sees things in practice that we cannot see. I would seriously feel a lot better if he could just take time and explain everything in simple terms. This video demonstrates he's perfectly capable of doing that when he feels like it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Whatthef? on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Kobe may have to pull a Magic number like Magic did with Westhead and demand a new coach if it doesn't start to work. I have no faith in Brown, want kind of coach doesn't win a single preseason game with this kind of talent?
Hey Phil are you bored yet?
If Brown starts 5-0 I will be happy to apologize.
Whatthef?

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 pm

fire him. TONIGHT. no need to waste any time.

take a page out of presti's book and just send him packing.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby gill on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Over/under on how many games til he gets fired? :man10:
gill

Postby BDG on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Fire him.

Period.

How do you have this much talent on a team and they're all so confused on both ends of the floor?

He's the worst head coach I've ever seen on the Lakers. This isn't an overreaction from one game.

No championship caliber head coach would have his team this unprepared at the start of the season against such a terrible Mavs team.

Get out of LA. Mike Brown is absolute garbage.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Alright, I take everything back. I don't understand what he's doing. I can coach this team and be 0-9 for much less money. I might even be able to squeeze one or two wins out of these scrubs named Nash, Bryant, Peace, Gasol and Howard.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:12 pm

I think that kinda says it all.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby gill on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:13 pm

First game... but with a season with such high expectations AND WITH THIS MUCH TALENT against a Dallas team of scrubs??? EMBARASSING!
gill

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 pm

i don't think i've hated anyone i've never actually met, more than i hate mike brown right now.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby charvin on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Playing Howard for almost the entire 2nd quarter when he had 2 PF's, playing Gasol for 40 minutes. This douche is absolutely trying to kill the Lakers.
charvin

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Yes, it's always Brown's fault. :nono2:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Anybody that uses the chemistry excuse...Dallas had an overhaul this offseason bringing in 8 new guys. Curry was a step on literally 4 days ago.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:26 pm

He didn't coach well tonight but man 12 for 31 cant blame it on him tho

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Anybody that uses the chemistry excuse...Dallas had an overhaul this offseason bringing in 8 new guys. Curry was a step on literally 4 days ago.

This. I said like 3 times in the gameday thread. No Dirk, no Kaman, just cut Delonte West. You can't use the chemistry excuse when a legit brand new team came in our building and ran us off the floor without their superstar and starting center.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Jellincon on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:27 pm

From last season to now, I still don't get why Brown has the bigs handling the ball at the 3 point line. What kind of offense is that?!
Jellincon

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:28 pm

I think Dwight gets a pass personally...he worked his butt off to make it to opening night.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Jellincon wrote:From last season to now, I still don't get why Brown has the bigs handling the ball at the 3 point line. What kind of offense is that?!

This has been asked and answered a million times already.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby MadMax on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:30 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Yes, it's always Brown's fault. :nono2:

In sports, when a team(especially a talented one) under preforms, it's usually the coaches head that rolls first.
MadMax

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:30 pm

This ****ing idiot needs to be fired, like yesterday!

After a full training camp and pre-season, Brown's players are still standing around looking confused about their roles in the offense.

Is it too late to hire Shaw as HC?
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby khmrP on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 pm

Funny how a better coach can make inferior talent perform to its best while ours make a an all star team look avg.
khmrP

Postby Kit on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:32 pm

I think the missed FTs hurt us a lot, too.
Kit

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard