Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion thread

Postby brickshooter on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:40 am

Players are shooting at their lowest career % because the offense is asking them to do too much. Shooter unable to get to their assigned shooting spots in time. They are NOT able to catch the pass in their shooting crouch.

This offense is flawed because it doens't play to the strenght of its players. It forces the players to conform to the offense.
brickshooter

Postby OCLakersFan247 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:07 am

not 1 player on the team believes in mike brown..why should they?
"expose foes with hocus pocus flows, they froze, now suckas idealize my chosen blows"-2pac

"Check the Franck Mueller...the color of the Lakers"-Clipse
OCLakersFan247

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:46 am

I'm on the fence with Brown. He's got them playing great defense. They tend to make other teams look like a plodding, slow paced team. Force them into his tempo. But the offense is so painful to watch. On one hand, the defense is keeping them above .500. On the other hand, the offense is preventing them from contending for the title.

Its difficult for Brown to stay out of the offense and concentrate on defense. As we all know, the pace of the offense can affect the defense. So its his baby on both sides. I do know if they ever figure the offense out and the can start hitting outside shots, they will be dangerous in the playoffs as Jerry West said. But I doubt they can achieve that without a move before the trade deadline. And not just any move. The guys mentioned most in rumors are not outside shooters.
snackdaddy

Postby dmaul on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:03 am

I wanted to give this guy a chance and the benefit of the doubt. Unlike other coaches, he genuinely seems like a down to earth nice guy and likeable too. But I've seen enough to say he was probably the wrong hire. Sure, defense wins championships, but you gotta score too and we're not doing that. This is the most offensively inept Lakers team I've seen in 27 years of watching this team. That's no small feat either considering we have Kobe/Gasol/Bynum. The rotations/substitutions/the way guys are moving around out there, the spacing or lack thereof - we are just plain disorganized.

Rick Adelman or even Brian Shaw would have been the better hire. This team from player 4-12 leaves a lot to be desired but I can't imagine any other coach doing this poorly and getting this little out of the rest of the team. Last in the league in bench production/three point shooting. This mucky style of play and defense is sort of keeping us in it but even that falls apart and we have huge lapses and give up a big run. So even the defense is not always saving us and we sure as hell can't count on the offense.
dmaul

Postby scheven on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:20 pm

^ He'd make a great assistant coach I'd say that
scheven

Postby kray28 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:59 pm

The defense you're seeing is a bit overrated. A significant factor in us keeping the points down is pace. Regardless of efficiency, the Lakers are holding the ball for most of the shot clock. That alone acts as a possession limiter. Defensively, our bigs are running around a lot more and using up precious energy....this is affecting their energy on offense and on the boards as well.

So yes, we're "better defensively", but we're considerably worse offensively, and in the net equation, we are worse overall than we were with Phil who coached more on the offensive side and used a simpler defensive philosophy which served to save the legs/energy of the bigs.
kray28

Postby tttppp on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:49 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:Lack of offensive rhythm, and lack of plays for the other guys to give them some easy looks. Easy buckets help put you in rhythm.

It seems like Brown lacks the fundumental ideas behind running an effective offensive. It's more than x's and o's. Phil would mention many times in postgame interviews that it's important to put every player in a position where they can be successful. That's one of the primary roles of the coach.

You bring up a good point that most people don't understand. Phil Jackson understood it was his responsibility for how his team performed. When his players were not making shots its his responsibility to correct it. I see many people here who don't understand that. They think that the fact that our players are not playing well is not Brown's fault. Mike Brown is the HEAD coach. He's ultimately responsible for the Lakers success and failures. If people are not hitting shots, he needs to get guys in there that are capable of hitting shots, and put a system in place that would get his players good rhythm shots.
tttppp

Postby kray28 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Right on tttppp....the buck stops with Potatohead.

I've seen him trot out the "we had open looks, they just didn't fall" canard a number of times already. These aren't rookies that Brown is playing out there...they're veterans that have been playing a long time and can make open shots. So why is it that they are missing? Is there something in the system that is contibuting to them not being focused or in rhythm?

It is Mike Brown's job to figure out why the open looks aren't falling. If it's the player...then the player needs to be benched. I don't for a second believe that every single Laker player magically lost the ability to nail an open shot.

It is very much the system in place that is the culprit. But Brown will be the last guy to admit that.
kray28

Postby venturalakersfan on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:58 pm

Brown is just a stop gap between the Kobe/Gasol championship teams and the Bynum/? teams. So would have been Adelman or Shaw or anyone else the Lakers hired. That coach would have 3 years to coach the Lakers, and then depending on what type of team we would be looking at, the new coach will be hired.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby tttppp on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:35 pm

kray28 wrote:Right on tttppp....the buck stops with Potatohead.

I've seen him trot out the "we had open looks, they just didn't fall" canard a number of times already. These aren't rookies that Brown is playing out there...they're veterans that have been playing a long time and can make open shots. So why is it that they are missing? Is there something in the system that is contibuting to them not being focused or in rhythm?

It is Mike Brown's job to figure out why the open looks aren't falling. If it's the player...then the player needs to be benched. I don't for a second believe that every single Laker player magically lost the ability to nail an open shot.

It is very much the system in place that is the culprit. But Brown will be the last guy to admit that.

Murphy, Kapono, Gaudlouk, Ebanks, Blake are all capable shooters. He should be able to gather some offense around their big three.
tttppp

Postby ThizGuy83 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:15 pm

i dunno wut the hell mike brown is doing. our team looks different every game cuz his rotations are so inconsistent. at least phil jackson had a rotation and every now n then put in a surprise substitution.
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby lotus on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Kobe's year is being wasted.
lotus

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:29 am

At least he isn't wasting it playing lock down defense.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:05 am

venturalakersfan wrote:At least he isn't wasting it playing lock down defense.

Nah, he's wasting it scoring 40pts four times in a row, making plays for others, being the bailout guy on too many possessions to count, and being the closer.

Your sour grapes lament is hilarious though.
kray28

Postby lotus on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:40 pm

If you thought your head coach was bad, imagine how Raptor fans feel right now. Rasoul Butler, I'm a fan!
Last edited by lotus on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lotus

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:42 pm

kray28 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:At least he isn't wasting it playing lock down defense.

Nah, he's wasting it scoring 40pts four times in a row, making plays for others, being the bailout guy on too many possessions to count, and being the closer.

Your sour grapes lament is hilarious though.

Carry over from the crappy defensive game he had the other night.
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby earvinfr on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 pm

How can he give Kapono so much playing time ?
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby John3:16 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:49 pm

Mike is Rudy T part 2, minus the rings.

Simply put, he's in over his head.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:03 pm

earvinfr wrote:How can he give Kapono so much playing time ?

I'm in the midst of a work related fire drill, and only caught bits and pieces of the game....I kept seeing Kapono's worthless arse, so I got scared that Barnes was hurt or something.
kray28

Postby noobiew on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:04 pm

Kobe played the entire second half of the game tonight, it's really not that good for Kobe averaging 40+ minutes for us, Brown needs to do better cut down his minutes
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 pm

The backups just suck basketballs on the road. That's why Kobe has to play mega minutes on the road. Without a viable backup 2 (should be Glock) we are hurting. But even Glock seems to check out on the road. His deep ball is streaky and he doesn't have enough of a green light to keep chucking.

The team as a whole seemed lethargic and not ready to compete today.
kray28

Postby noobiew on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 pm

kray28 wrote:The backups just suck basketballs on the road. That's why Kobe has to play mega minutes on the road. Without a viable backup 2 (should be Glock) we are hurting. But even Glock seems to check out on the road. His deep ball is streaky and he doesn't have enough of a green light to keep chucking.

The team as a whole seemed lethargic and not ready to compete today.

What a terrible position for Kobe, the FO not doing much to help the team to win now while the current unit just isn't capable looking to help Kobe at all, they just give Kobe the damm ball and hope he goes on GOD mode to save us every games.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby earvinfr on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:02 pm

John3:16 wrote:Mike is Rudy T part 2, minus the rings.

Simply put, he's in over his head.

Great, so we'll end season as a lottery team. If then, I think Stern will do whatever he can to avoid us getting 1 of the top 3 picks :mad1:
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 pm

If we miss the playoffs this season, how many think Brown should be fired immediately?
kray28

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:47 pm

i wwould love to blame mike brown. blaming the coach is easier and always seems easier to fix as well. truth is his defense is working and his offense is getting guys open looks

the failure is in the personnel which is harder to fix. gguys just aren't making shots when they are wide open. the old farts are also turning the ball over and just holding the ball too long. they aren't getting the ball to drew and pau quick enough.

the failure is in the players. the offense and defense are putting the players in positions to make plays but if they aren't making the plays there is nothing mike or any other coach can do
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand