Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion thread

Postby tttppp on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

kray28 wrote:If we miss the playoffs this season, how many think Brown should be fired immediately?

I doubt they'll miss the playoffs. Coming into this season I thought Mike Brown would be on the hot seat but I thought people would at least give him a second season no matter what. However, if they miss the playoffs thats a different story. There is no excuse for that, especially considering how weak the league is this year. So if he did miss the playoffs, I think he would be fired.
tttppp

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:55 pm

The offense is horrible in its' design and its' misallocation of personnel....watch a couple of this year's games and then compare it to a game form last year. The roster is imbalanced, but a good coach would still know would to create a good balanced rotation. The best that Tater can come up with is FIsh and MWP in the starting lineup. The spacing is entirely different and it is poor. The Triangle offense worked almost by itself....it was like a self governing organism. The offense never made shots for players.....but it put them in position to make them.

This offense has serious trouble doing that. Losing Lamar has been devastating too.....his talent was good for some bonehead plays, but it was good for a tons of other made plays as well. We did not even come close to replacing the talent lost when he was shipped off.
kray28

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:59 pm

is it fair to compare the most successful offense in NBA history to this. at the end of the day guys aren't hitting shots. bynum, pau, and kobe are passing it to guys and they are failing them.

is the offense on the level of the triangle? no. but no offense is on that level. tex winter invented an offense that produced 11 championships and 13 finals appearances
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:02 pm

last stand wrote:is it fair to compare the most successful offense in NBA history to this. at the end of the day guys aren't hitting shots. bynum, pau, and kobe are passing it to guys and they are failing them.

When it's being run by basically the same personnel just one year removed....hell yes it's fair.
kray28

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:05 pm

I watched the 1985 Lakers champion team last night on youtube...tried to watch the game today. I wish we have that bench. Imagine McAdoo, Kupchak, Worthy, Cooper, McGee and Spriggs
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby tttppp on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 pm

kray28 wrote:
last stand wrote:is it fair to compare the most successful offense in NBA history to this. at the end of the day guys aren't hitting shots. bynum, pau, and kobe are passing it to guys and they are failing them.

When it's being run by basically the same personnel just one year removed....hell yes it's fair.

Also, it was Mike Brown's decision to remove the triangle. He very easily could have kept the triangle and focused his efforts on defense.
tttppp

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 pm

kray28 wrote:

it wasn't supposed to be run by the same personnel. this roster was built for the triangle. so to say it performs better under that offense is unfair.

they tried to bring in a roster that would suit this offense better and instead they were screwed over
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:20 am

kray28 wrote:If we miss the playoffs this season, how many think Brown should be fired immediately?

hopefully Brown will be one and done ... even with an improved roster, I would have absolutely zero confidence in his ability to lead any team to a title ... he's just not head coach material
wcsoldier81

Postby venturalakersfan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:26 am

I think that Brown will be here this season and the next two no matter what. This is a team in transition, and paying two coaches during a transition period would be financially stupid. Once the roster shakes out in a few years, then Brown might be replaced.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Even though Brown's offensive schemes are atrocious (seriously his go to sets in the 4th are isolations, plain and simple) the roster is still bad. I think a guy like Adelman would have got more out of this roster than him but even then there's a limit. This roster is not built to win a championship. Unfortunately I don't see how it could ever be in the near future unless we pull of another miracle trade for a all star PG.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby brickshooter on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:49 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:

Even though Brown's offensive schemes are atrocious (seriously his go to sets in the 4th are isolations, plain and simple) the roster is still bad. I think a guy like Adelman would have got more out of this roster than him but even then there's a limit. This roster is not built to win a championship. Unfortunately I don't see how it could ever be in the near future unless we pull of another miracle trade for a all star PG.

IMO, we don't need allstar PG.

To get an all star, you need to trade one away.

And we're back to the Big 3 getting 65 points, while the rest of the team scores 15.

Same problem again.

What we need to do is to upgrade the PG, SF, and sixth man. We need to somehow squeez 30 points out of the other 12 Lakers players not named Kobe-Gasol-Bynum.
brickshooter

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Tough to pin things on Brown when it looks like a "hustle and energy" issue out there combined with some AWFUL decision making in terms of ball handling, passing and pace. A guard who knows how to control tempo and penetrate combined with everyone on the floor you know, actually TRYING TO WIN would solve a lot of our issues IMO.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby khmrP on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm not sure if its Adelman or Rubio or combo of both but whatever it is, Minn somehow turned Pekovich (someone who I thought was a no talent hacker) into mini Kevin Love with more bpg to boot. Brown on the other hand turned this team into a 3 man team.
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:58 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Tough to pin things on Brown when it looks like a "hustle and energy" issue out there combined with some AWFUL decision making in terms of ball handling, passing and pace. A guard who knows how to control tempo and penetrate combined with everyone on the floor you know, actually TRYING TO WIN would solve a lot of our issues IMO.

seems more like players are FORCING the issue cause whatever Brown wants to get done out there isn't working.
khmrP

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:20 pm

khmrP wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:Tough to pin things on Brown when it looks like a "hustle and energy" issue out there combined with some AWFUL decision making in terms of ball handling, passing and pace. A guard who knows how to control tempo and penetrate combined with everyone on the floor you know, actually TRYING TO WIN would solve a lot of our issues IMO.

seems more like players are FORCING the issue cause whatever Brown wants to get done out there isn't working.

Yeah they're really forcing things when they're busy standing around while Kobe or Drew are getting double and triple teamed. They're really forcing things when they get lazy on defense and opt to reach instead of moving their feet. They're really forcing things when they're missing WIDE OPEN SHOTS. Sorry, I don't subscribe to the "blame the coach whenever things aren't going well" philosophy, especially when there are times when the Lakers show flashes and look amazing out there in their sets.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Texas Lakers Fan

Postby khmrP on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:31 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Yeah they're really forcing things when they're busy standing around while Kobe or Drew are getting double and triple teamed. They're really forcing things when they get lazy on defense and opt to reach instead of moving their feet. They're really forcing things when they're missing WIDE OPEN SHOTS. Sorry, I don't subscribe to the "blame the coach whenever things aren't going well" philosophy, especially when there are times when the Lakers show flashes and look amazing out there in their sets.

there are very FEW times when they have these flashes and its also on the coach to have these players play consistently as well. I haven't seen a string of good games since the long home stretch in the beginning of the season, the win over Pho in prior game also showed flashes but only to see Pho get within 4 or so, so IMO just mirage, they play well for a bit doing same crap as always teams adapt, they dont.
khmrP

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:55 am

No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFanIam on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Maybe I'm just use to Phil, but Mike Browns post game press conferences are lame.
All he seems to do is read off of the stat sheet & go over each players numbers for the game...

We can all read the Box Score Mike. I've heard very little insight or analysis from him & that greatly concerns me.
LakerFanIam

Postby kray28 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Well there's a big difference in experience between Phil and Mike. Big personality difference too. You're not going to get pithy, big picture observations from Mike Brown about the offense or even the game at large. He sees everything through the lens of numbers (hence the "stats guy" charge that's been levied at him).

It's a difference in expertise (defense vs. offense) and a huge difference in experience as well.
kray28

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Good read ... at least he's aware we badly need a quality PG and basically ask Mitch to get him one
wcsoldier81

Postby tttppp on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 pm

kray28 wrote:Well there's a big difference in experience between Phil and Mike. Big personality difference too. You're not going to get pithy, big picture observations from Mike Brown about the offense or even the game at large. He sees everything through the lens of numbers (hence the "stats guy" charge that's been levied at him).

It's a difference in expertise (defense vs. offense) and a huge difference in experience as well.

Its not just experience, its also intelligence. Even in Phil Jackson's first year he was far more knowledgeable about the game than Mike Brown in I think his 8th year now. Mike Brown has been a coach a long time now. He's no longer a rookie. He should not be getting the benefit of the doubt. People should be demanding results out of him and not excuses.

This is not the first time I've heard someone say Mike Brown is just a stats guy. Based on my experience, stats are just for people who are not capable of making their own analysis of the game.
tttppp

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 pm

tttppp wrote:
kray28 wrote:Well there's a big difference in experience between Phil and Mike. Big personality difference too. You're not going to get pithy, big picture observations from Mike Brown about the offense or even the game at large. He sees everything through the lens of numbers (hence the "stats guy" charge that's been levied at him).

Its not just experience, its also intelligence. Even in Phil Jackson's first year he was far more knowledgeable about the game than Mike Brown in I think his 8th year now. Mike Brown has been a coach a long time now. He's no longer a rookie. He should not be getting the benefit of the doubt. People should be demanding results out of him and not excuses.

This is not the first time I've heard someone say Mike Brown is just a stats guy. Based on my experience, stats are just for people who are not capable of making their own analysis of the game.

Stats don't tell the whole story, but that's an absurd generalization.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby tttppp on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:28 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
tttppp wrote:

Everything thats happening now with Mike Brown, I predicted when he was hired. I've been pretty accurate on Mike Brown so far.
tttppp

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:38 pm

tttppp wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote: Image

Everything thats happening now with Mike Brown, I predicted when he was hired. I've been pretty accurate on Mike Brown so far.

All of your "predictions" were nothing more than broad generalizations. You say "Mike Brown sucks and our team will suck" and because the CP3 trade gets nixed and we're struggling without a perimeter thread whilst attempting to learn a new system, all of a sudden it's all Mike Brown's fault. Riiiiight. IMO you have done a very poor job of connecting the dots and providing evidence to support your previous claims that Brown will be the one to do this team in. Ironically, a few stats would probably help.

This statement:

tttppp wrote:stats are just for people who are not capable of making their own analysis of the game.

is simply your way of trying to justify your multiple attempts to simply make s*** up all the time. As I said, stats alone don't necessarily tell all, but they're a very useful and valuable tool and they can be very helpful when one is trying to make a case or an argument. You'd probably have a lot more folks arguing in favor of your opinions as opposed to being against them if just a few of your wild claims were actually supported by some solid statistical evidence.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard