Mike Brown FIRED!!! (pg 126 via USA TODAY)

Re: Mike Brown Discussion thread

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Mike Brown has done a decent job. His rotations at times have been questionable, but they've been alot better lately. Other than this last game Fisher has been playing alot less. The only thing I'd like to see is him play Goudelock more. I certainly don't believe Adelman would've been much better. The offense has looked rather stagnant for most of the season, but that's mostly due to lack of chemistry and consistency from the shooters. Talent wise this team is still good enough to compete IMO its just the chemistry we have to get down.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby tttppp on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:57 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
tttppp wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote: Image

Stats don't tell the whole story, but that's an absurd generalization.

Everything thats happening now with Mike Brown, I predicted when he was hired. I've been pretty accurate on Mike Brown so far.

All of your "predictions" were nothing more than broad generalizations. You say "Mike Brown sucks and our team will suck" and because the CP3 trade gets nixed and we're struggling without a perimeter thread whilst attempting to learn a new system, all of a sudden it's all Mike Brown's fault. Riiiiight. IMO you have done a very poor job of connecting the dots and providing evidence to support your previous claims that Brown will be the one to do this team in. Ironically, a few stats would probably help.

This statement:

tttppp wrote:stats are just for people who are not capable of making their own analysis of the game.

is simply your way of trying to justify your multiple attempts to simply make s*** up all the time. As I said, stats alone don't necessarily tell all, but they're a very useful and valuable tool and they can be very helpful when one is trying to make a case or an argument. You'd probably have a lot more folks arguing in favor of your opinions as opposed to being against them if just a few of your wild claims were actually supported by some solid statistical evidence.

There have been plenty of articles written about players being upset over Mike Brown's coaching. One in particular has to do with Mike Brown calling all the plays as if his players are retards. The players fought for more freedom, so now the players call most of the plays.

If you remember, I stated that the Lakers players have mastered the triangle and therefore don't need to be babied into having the plays called for them like little boys. If you watched the Portland game where the players called the plays, the Lakers offense was playing the best it has since Phil Jackson.

I told you Mike Brown's offense was going to cause problems, and it did. Not only has most fans noticed this, but even the players were upset about it. The only thing people can say in Mike Brown's defense is that this is his first year, so give him another chance...which is exactly what I predicted.

As far as the pg situation is concerned, we don't need a pg to distribute the ball. The Lakers are capable of facilitating the offense themselves. What they need a pg for is to play defense and shoot the ball. The only reason Mike Brown wants a pg is so the pg can run the offense for him because he knows nothing about offense.
tttppp

Postby hypotenuse on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:58 pm

tttppp wrote:
kray28 wrote:Well there's a big difference in experience between Phil and Mike. Big personality difference too. You're not going to get pithy, big picture observations from Mike Brown about the offense or even the game at large. He sees everything through the lens of numbers (hence the "stats guy" charge that's been levied at him).

It's a difference in expertise (defense vs. offense) and a huge difference in experience as well.

Its not just experience, its also intelligence. Even in Phil Jackson's first year he was far more knowledgeable about the game than Mike Brown in I think his 8th year now. Mike Brown has been a coach a long time now. He's no longer a rookie. He should not be getting the benefit of the doubt. People should be demanding results out of him and not excuses.

This is not the first time I've heard someone say Mike Brown is just a stats guy. Based on my experience, stats are just for people who are not capable of making their own analysis of the game.

Very well said. The best sign of a great coach at least in my opinion is his ability to get the most out of his players. It's very obvious when certain teams are overachieving or underachieving based on the player personnel the team has. When Miami was 8-10 last season (or something like that) they were most obviously underachieving at that point in time. Inversely, when a team like the Sixers or the Pacers start 20-5 they are also obviously overachieving. Right now this Laker team is the middle of the barrel according to the talent the Lakers still have and the majority of that responsibility goes to the coach. The reason why I bought into the greatest of Jackson (like anybody couldn't buy in) is that he always managed to get the most out of his players. Kwame and Smush were actually serviceable during 07 at least to the extend of almost forcing a dramatic upset. I think we can all agree that the 07 Laker team slightly overachieved.

With that said the thing that troubles me about Brown is that he is not able to get the most out of his players, or at least a certain amount of his players. As bad as artest was offensively he still played major minutes under Jackson and was utilized to the best of his capability. Jackson knew that beauty to Artests' game was not in the stat-sheet but in things like the energy level of the team and the intimidation level of the opposing player he was guarding. Brown seems to have difficulty, at times, realizing the subtleties of basketball and its that part of his acumen that is frustrating to watch play out. I also don't believe that a former coach of the year is not able to make the most of his players, especially one as passionate, talented and tough as artest.

Postby Center Court on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 pm

IMO Brown is the perfect candidate for lead assistant coach. GREAT defensive basketball mind. Even with the weakest pg defense in the NBA we are still at the top as a team. He's also seems to have a great wealth of basketball systems, schemes, terminology.

what bothers me more than anyhthing is watch Kuester in the huddles drawing up plays and telling guys where they need to be. Personally, I hate Kuester. I hate the way he looks, walks, talks, coaches. THere's a reason players were literally laughing at him on the sidelines in Detroit.

I love that he loves the game as much as he does, but he's better off as a lead assistant to a guy like Adleman.. which IMO would be the perfect coaching tandem for this team. Adleman, Brown, Person, Messina.
Center Court

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:10 pm

:man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Still don't know how the hell that warranted a T
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:14 pm

LOL the ref actually slapped Brown's hand off the court, that .gif looks like a silent film comedy. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:15 pm

tttppp wrote:Everything thats happening now with Mike Brown, I predicted when he was hired. I've been pretty accurate on Mike Brown so far.

What does that have to do with the post?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Can the refs slap a coach's hand away like that? Obvious troll job by the officials is obvious.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby kenzo on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:22 pm

He counted to 8... at least (and Anthony was under the rim all that time) :man10:
kenzo

Postby denimPortugal on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:24 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Image

:man10:

omg! :man10: :man10:
denimPortugal

Postby tttppp on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 pm

trodgers wrote:
tttppp wrote:Everything thats happening now with Mike Brown, I predicted when he was hired. I've been pretty accurate on Mike Brown so far.

You have to go back to the argument I've been having with bruddahmanmatt about Mike Brown on many different threads. bruddahmanmatt has been supporting Mike Brown from the beginning, I've been opposed to hiring Mike Brown even before he was hired.
tttppp

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:46 pm

tttppp wrote:
trodgers wrote:

You have to go back to the argument I've been having with bruddahmanmatt about Mike Brown on many different threads. bruddahmanmatt has been supporting Mike Brown from the beginning, I've been opposed to hiring Mike Brown even before he was hired.

Making s*** up as usual. It's not that I've been "supporting Mike Brown from the beginning", it's that I don't blame him for everything the way you do. Pay attention please.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby davriver290 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:50 pm

I think Mike Brown has been doing fine considering the changes, the lack of a consistent bench, and Gasol struggling. We're top three in the west right now, I honestly thought we'd be down in the 5 or 6 spot but we have been doing rather well.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby tttppp on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:59 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Making s*** up as usual. It's not that I've been "supporting Mike Brown from the beginning", it's that I don't blame him for everything the way you do. Pay attention please.

Read the posts. bruddahmanmatt has been all over Mike Brown's nut sack ever since he was hired.
tttppp

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:03 pm

tttppp wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:Making s*** up as usual. It's not that I've been "supporting Mike Brown from the beginning", it's that I don't blame him for everything the way you do. Pay attention please.

Read the posts. bruddahmanmatt has been all over Mike Brown's nut sack ever since he was hired.

Watch the sass Captain Sassy Pants. :man12:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:17 pm

tttppp wrote:

That's going a bit far don't you think? A bit uncalled for if you ask me. The rule around here is attack the post not the poster, no need to get personal if you have nothing better to say.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1235 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Still not completely sold on brown, but didn't he claim things would get better after the all-star break when he had more practice time? So far, so good.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:17 pm

LA Times wrote:In most cases, Lakers Coach Mike Brown laments earning technical fouls.

It shows his players that he can't keep cool under pressure. It gives the opponent a chance to score. And, oh yeah, those T's can rack up in heavy fines.

But after the Lakers' 93-83 victory Sunday over the Miami Heat, it was hard for Brown to feel that bad about the technical for reasons beyond picking up a signature win. Brown said that he didn't raise his voice when he argued for a three-second lane violation by counting to 12. Still, Brown was called for a technical as the Lakers led, 83-74 with 3:01 remaining.

"It wasn't a curse word, but it wasn't right," Brown said of his language. "I just thought at that point of the game, especially if I was going at him, I just said it."

Brown has collected four technicals this season. He stewed in the Lakers' 102-94 loss Jan. 14 to the Clippers when Blake Griffin pushed rookie guard Darius Morris in midair while attempting a dunk. Brown's anger level boiled so high that assistants John Kuester and Chuck Person restrained Brown from charging at the officials.

They weren't so lucky nearly a month later in Utah. Brown made contact with an official after Utah forward Earl Warson knocked Pau Gasol to the ground. Brown maintained afterward he hoped that would spark the team. But that led to the Jazz making a run of its own in a 96-87 win over the Lakers on Feb. 4, with Brown serving a one-game suspension the following game at Philadelphia.

This time, however, Brown's technical did very little. Though Miami guard Mario Chalmers hit the free throw, the Lakers hardly allowed Miami to get within striking distance.

Said Brown: "Our guys didn't allow us to be hurt by what I did."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby GoldHammish on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:44 pm

It was a BS tech to begin with. Worst I've seen in a LONG time.
GoldHammish

Postby tttppp on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Weezy wrote:
tttppp wrote:

That's going a bit far don't you think? A bit uncalled for if you ask me. The rule around here is attack the post not the poster, no need to get personal if you have nothing better to say.

I'm pretty sure I've said the exact same quote in another thread awhile ago and nobody had a problem with it.
tttppp

Postby John3:16 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:22 pm

GoldHammish wrote:It was a BS tech to begin with. Worst I've seen in a LONG time.

Yup. I don't even know why the ref pushed his arm away. After he did, Brown didn't do anything that was tech worthy.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:24 pm

He was still counting up to 20 :man10: :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:44 pm

tttppp wrote:I'm pretty sure I've said the exact same quote in another thread awhile ago and nobody had a problem with it.

Well I for one didn't see it in another thread, maybe no other staff did either, but regardless that sort of comment really isn't allowed around here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Weezy wrote:
tttppp wrote:I'm pretty sure I've said the exact same quote in another thread awhile ago and nobody had a problem with it.

Well I for one didn't see it in another thread, maybe no other staff did either, but regardless that sort of comment really isn't allowed around here.

I can confirm like a Don King perm that I have never had any physical contact whatsoever with Mike Brown's nut sack.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard