NJ Paper: RJ to Lakers a real possibility

Postby chug o nomics on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:22 pm

^ Is he really? I only know of RJ's offensive game, how is his defense (strengths, weaknesses)?
"The thing that made push pops good is that you had to work for them. IF YOU WERE WEAK YOU DIDN'T GET ANY."
chug o nomics

Postby Vincey on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:25 pm

chug o nomics wrote:^ Is he really? I only know of RJ's offensive game, how is his defense (strengths, weaknesses)?

There's a fad right now haven't you heard.. he's the PP Stopper. LMAO. I'm not knocking his D, but it's just funny how fast people run with stuff.
Vincey

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:26 pm

JTC wrote:Not real fond of the RJ trade idea. While he gives us another perimeter scorer I dont think he gives us enough D or rebounding from the 3 spot

And Lamar will? You should look back at his rebounding stats when he started at three for us - they were ok, but not great. Not much better than RJ's that's for sure. LO is out of rebounding position as our 3. He tends to stand around behind the three point arc, where he is not effective for rebounding or offense. Also, I am very concerned about Lamar's ability to stay with MOST of the SF's of the league on D. RJ would fit at 3, Ariza could back him up for a more intense defensive look. Problem solved. Vlad Rad could be traded or play off the bench. Walton should just be put on the IR, but realistically he'll be a bench player.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Radner on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Vincey wrote:
chug o nomics wrote:^ Is he really? I only know of RJ's offensive game, how is his defense (strengths, weaknesses)?

There's a fad right now haven't you heard.. he's the PP Stopper. LMAO. I'm not knocking his D, but it's just funny how fast people run with stuff.

Not really. He's been a good defender since he played for Arizona.
Radner

Postby Psychobroker on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:28 pm

BadScooter wrote:I wish we could steal Sean Williams from them. He hit the rookie wall pretty hard last year, but he's got tons of potential and was putting up solid numbers in limited minutes. His blocks were ridiculous.

^^this! He'd be a HUGE upgrade over Ronny if Ronny bailed. Love Ronny, but who knows?
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Psychobroker on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:30 pm

OCLakersFan247 wrote:bynum will be our second option scorer..he is going to get a ton of looks in the paint...if we get RJ we can simply spread the floor and make more room for our bigs in the middle. RJ can actually hit jumpers (hes spotty but he can catch fire) unlike odom. by having him out u force the defense to stay out wit hte shooters...defense sends a double team to kobe, he can rotate it to RJ who can easily drive it to the rack and he finishes well at the hole (THATS WAT SHE SAID!!!)

im down with RJ im just concerned about money issues that will hold htings up...artest is coo too but only if he comes for cheap...hell ill even throw in some of my annual salary 2 get him here

You gonna pay for his shrink bill? I'm not sure I want anything to do with Ron Artest.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby JTC on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:34 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
JTC wrote:Not real fond of the RJ trade idea. While he gives us another perimeter scorer I dont think he gives us enough D or rebounding from the 3 spot

And Lamar will? You should look back at his rebounding stats when he started at three for us - they were ok, but not great. Not much better than RJ's that's for sure. LO is out of rebounding position as our 3. He tends to stand around behind the three point arc, where he is not effective for rebounding or offense. Also, I am very concerned about Lamar's ability to stay with MOST of the SF's of the league on D. RJ would fit at 3, Ariza could back him up for a more intense defensive look. Problem solved. Vlad Rad could be traded or play off the bench. Walton should just be put on the IR, but realistically he'll be a bench player.

RJ is still my 3rd choice behind the Matrix and RonRon

I like Marion for his ability to get offensive rebounds and defense

RonRon has better D but as I said high risk player
And A child shall lead us......... Andrew Bynum

Atheist statistics
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=T27kB4Bjb ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg7IMjlbPbA
JTC

Postby Radner on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:35 pm

And yes, I've seen him play for Arizona.
Radner

Postby Vincey on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:37 pm

Radner wrote:Image

And yes, I've seen him play for Arizona.

Using that graphic from college means nothing to me.

I don't doubt his ability to defend though. It was just funny that last night I read this rumor, and some writer mentioned that he shuts down PP everytime they play. And then this morning I see posts of box scores between the C's and Nets.. it was just funny to me.
Vincey

Postby Radner on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:39 pm

The only thing that is probably a negative part of his game is that he's sort of streaky like Caron Butler. He can do a lot off the dribble and drive to the paint. As a stand still shooter, it could be his downfall.
Radner

Postby Radner on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:41 pm

Vincey wrote:Using that graphic from college means nothing to me.

I don't doubt his ability to defend though. It was just funny that last night I read this rumor, and some writer mentioned that he shuts down PP everytime they play. And then this morning I see posts of box scores between the C's and Nets.. it was just funny to me.

It probably won't mean anything to you.

But for those about to say he sucks at defense without any proof, then maybe they should hold that thought because it's not true.
Last edited by Radner on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radner

Postby VOTEKobe2008 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:41 pm

lakersfan4life78 wrote:i love the ludicrous trade proposals. odom for jefferson and the tenth pick. yeah right.

i don't understad the enfatuation with RJ. defiinitely a better offensive player than odom and a more natural three, but is that our problem? we need another 22 ppg guy? he avergaed 4 rebounds a game last year for a three. terrible. odom averaged 10.6.

Yes they do . Do not buy the hype from the espn idiots that their problem was all defense. Their problem in the finals was Boston boxed Kobe and put pressure on his jump shot forcing him to pass and the Lakers had no one that could create their own shot .

Boston played good defense because the Lakers only shooters on the peremiter.
VOTEKobe2008

Postby Vincey on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:41 pm

Radner wrote:The only thing that is probably a negative part of his game is that he's sort of streaky like Caron Butler. He can do a lot off the dribble and drive to the paint. As a stand still shooter, it could be his downfall.

I can agree with this.. that's why I think RJ should be one of the last resorts if the Lakers are indeed trading LO.
Vincey

Postby Jajwa on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:46 pm

Last resort if last resort means right after Artest then yes...

Jefferson is an all-star, a guy who can put fear into Paul Pierce's candy [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and get him off of Kobe.
Jajwa

Postby Weezy on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:48 pm

lakersfan4life78 wrote:i love the ludicrous trade proposals. odom for jefferson and the tenth pick. yeah right.

i don't understad the enfatuation with RJ. defiinitely a better offensive player than odom and a more natural three, but is that our problem? we need another 22 ppg guy? he avergaed 4 rebounds a game last year for a three. terrible. odom averaged 10.6.

Why would we need RJ to rebound when we'll have Bynum at C and Pau at PF? Not that Pau is a great rebounder, but he's adequate, and Bynum was turning into a glass cleaner. I for one would like to have RJ here, good defender, quick and athletic, can score, plays hard and with a passion, good player.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jajwa on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:50 pm

Jefferson can do practically everything a SF is required to do. I mean everything. He's not one dimensional in any way and he's a superior offensive player to Artest albeit he's not the same world class defender. However Artest is difficult to get and Jefferson always has a cool head and has Finals (miserable) experience.
Jajwa

Postby popo on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:59 pm

Im all for it, with Drew and Gasol in the frontline i doubt we would have rebounding problems. RJ can be a good 2nd option the nights Pau is off and vise versa.
popo

Postby trodgers on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:03 pm

earvinfr wrote:What makes you think we want another big contract here ?

You don't just assume a contract. You trade contracts.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Jajwa on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:08 pm

What makes you think that we want to go back up against Boston and realize that Bynum while great can't score against a stifling defense and our SF situation still sucks?

By the way Richard Jefferson is a great backup option to have in case Vujajic doesn't come back. He is definitely capable of playing SG and backing up Kobe. He's a nice insurance guy to have.
Jajwa

Postby KingKobe on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:12 pm

The love for RJ is valid....

If Bynum is back and plays center for 30-35 minutes per he will make up for the 10-11 rebounds we lose w/Odom. On top of that Bynum will likely chip in 10-12 pts and throw in 3 blks per.

Pau will likely play 35-38 minutes per at the 4 spot w/some backup duties at the 5 (probably 10 minutes a game)

So if you put RJ in at the 3 spot and you have yourself a 20 pt 6-7 reb guy who brings it every night.

Imagine trying to defensively plan against 2 wing players like Kobe & RJ and then two 7 footers inside in Pau & Bynum.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Last edited by KingKobe on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get me Richard Jefferson!!"
KingKobe

Postby Jajwa on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:13 pm

And two very good shooters at the PG position who can flat out bury you if left open.
Jajwa

Postby LakersFan1211 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:15 pm

Cmon Mitch! Trade Odom for Jefferson and some fillers shoot..I'll add in Mihm and Puke if we have to! :jam2: :jam2:
LakersFan1211

Postby erickonasis on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:16 pm

Horrible Trade
erickonasis

Postby Jajwa on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:17 pm

LMAO horrible post
Jajwa

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:19 pm

JTC wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

RJ is still my 3rd choice behind the Matrix and RonRon

I like Marion for his ability to get offensive rebounds and defense

RonRon has better D but as I said high risk player

Sounds like we're all on the same page. I like Ron Ron best if he comes here via opt out, MLE route because we keep Odom and have one of the most ridiculous, versatile, brutal lineups of all time. That's option ONE in my book and clearly we will find out where Artest is at in the next 10 days.

Option 2 is getting ourselves a legit SF.
Marion is number one for me because he's just such an all around great player. You can't leave him open from distance, he will bury you. He is as good a rebounder as Odom, but actually even superior from the SF spot. And he's one hell of a defender. If Buss is willing to pay him and Miami is willing to move him, it's a no brainer. But that's a lot of what ifs.

I think RJ represents the next best option. He's also a great all around 3, not quite at the level of Marion, but a huge upgrade over what we have right now. Plus if we manage to get rid of Vlad while moving LO in that case and get someone else in return with RJ then it's looking especially good.

Regardless, RJ, Marion and Artest all represent an upgrade at 3. Artest is ideal if he can play here with LO rather than instead of him.

I would also take Miller, but I don't think that option would be explored until the trade deadline when the Lakers have a better sense of what they've got. He's not an obvious enough upgrade.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard