NJ Paper: RJ to Lakers a real possibility

Postby last stand on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:45 pm

Jajwa wrote:
last stand wrote:
Jajwa wrote:I didn't say get him over Artest.

Richard Jefferson has played in the half court as well as the open court. He's just as good there as he is in the open floor. He can do all of those cuts etc.. etc...Ariza is one of the premier defenders in the Pacific Division? Says who? Clublakers? Pierce blew by him like he was a joke...Ariza is quick and has long arms and is explosive. His instincts are nowhere near premier. Why wouldn't Richard Jefferson be able to take the scoring load off of Kobe with Gasol and Bynum inside?

He's far more intelligent than Trevor Ariza thanks to his college days so if you really expect Ariza to be the answer based on his grasp of the triangle offense you are in for a real surprise.

trevor ariza played against pierce for like 10 minutes

and he was out since january

i never said he was the answer

look if RJ24 is as good as you apparently think he is i will be fine with him

but ron artest is my guy has been my guy since he was with the bulls hes in my top 10 list of favorite players

kobe
lebron
joe johnson
andrew bynum
tim duncan
chris paul
chris bosh
ron artest
baron davis
allen iverson

I don't think Jefferson is that good I just think he's a far better played at SF than anyone we've seen since hell I dono, Caron Butler 2004 form at least.

Artest is better, no doubt...

if they give us RJ and the 10th pick or one of their young guys like marcus williams or josh boone

i'll be very happy

but a one for one swap i don't think improves us just gives us a better fit offensively

i want improvement offensively, defensively, and a better fit and we all know only one guy truly gives us that
last stand

Postby Damian Necronamous on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:50 pm

Guys, Richard Jefferson is 28 years old. He has played 7 years in the NBA and his career averages are 17/5/3 on 47.5% shooting and 34% shooting from behind the arc.

Over his last 5 years, he has averaged 19.8ppg...the guy is more than capable on the offensive end.

He played 4 games against Boston this year...
11/10: 28pts (7/18fg), 4rb, 2assts
11/14: 21pts (7/19fg), 6rb, 3assts
1/11: 17pts (6/12fg), 3rb, 3assts
4/16: 24pts (10/15fg), 2rb, 6assts

Yeah, all 4 were losses, but don't blame him...he plays for the Nets! The guy gets to the FT line A LOT! And I do mean a lot...he shot 8.3FTApg last season and played in all 82 games.

He's a good defensive player and is very active, which is more than I can say for Odom. We need this guy on our team.
Damian Necronamous

Postby last stand on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:53 pm

Damian Necronamous wrote:Guys, Richard Jefferson is 28 years old. He has played 7 years in the NBA and his career averages are 17/5/3 on 47.5% shooting and 34% shooting from behind the arc.

Over his last 5 years, he has averaged 19.8ppg...the guy is more than capable on the offensive end.

He played 4 games against Boston this year...
11/10: 28pts (7/18fg), 4rb, 2assts
11/14: 21pts (7/19fg), 6rb, 3assts
1/11: 17pts (6/12fg), 3rb, 3assts
4/16: 24pts (10/15fg), 2rb, 6assts

Yeah, all 4 were losses, but don't blame him...he plays for the Nets! The guy gets to the FT line A LOT! And I do mean a lot...he shot 8.3FTApg last season and played in all 82 games.

He's a good defensive player and is very active, which is more than I can say for Odom. We need this guy on our team.

i would like to have guys who can get to the free throw line besides kobe
last stand

Postby last stand on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:06 pm

anyone know when trading can start
last stand

Postby d.carter4kobe on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:37 pm

last stand wrote:anyone know when trading can start

right now...
d.carter4kobe

Postby last stand on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:39 pm

d.carter4kobe wrote:

right now...

really wow

what are we doing then
last stand

Postby GinoDB on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:40 pm

last stand wrote:
d.carter4kobe wrote:

right now...

really wow

what are we doing then

waiting for the draft, nothing really goes down until the draft, I suggest you watch it because I have a feeling there will be some interesting trades
GinoDB

Postby flexxdzl on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:20 pm

leftymo wrote:LA's not getting RJ, or Gilbert, or all the other million bogus ideas.

Uh, going into next season if we aren't the favorites to win it all, we're 2nd. Why would we NEED anything?

Now, the idea is, what LA needs at the SF spot. If it isn't Odom.

Artest is young, so he'd fit in better for a longer run, but he's also a loose cannon! Not exactly a player you want on a young team easily influenced.

Marion is older, he's 30-31 now. But he does all the little things. Putbacks, extra rebounds, defense, steals, and hits the 3. We wouldn't need to run an offense for him, and he would definitely benefit off of two big guys like Pau/Bynum. Plus he can run the break and unlike Odom, finishes more than he doesn't.

Well to me Redd Artest then RJ ...not marion..he can't get his own shot..

IMO any trade that involves the east and or sac getting LO ..can happen..

If I'm the lakers I would push for michael redd..He's the 3 rad isn't..and there is no way anyone can leave him open ever..

I like ron also .. but more for Defense..

BTW..

NO LO means we won't be a fast break team anymore ..more half court..
flexxdzl

Re: RJ to Lakers a real possibility ( NJ Paper )

Postby magicmoment on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:33 pm

RobinHood wrote:
It was about a year ago that Rod Thorn dialed Mitch Kupchak and floated Richard Jefferson-for-Lamar Odom. The conversation, we're told, didn't last long. Not interested, Mitch said. Besides, I'm a little busy right now, trying to dodge the molotov cocktails Kobe keeps tossing through my office window.

Care to bet the Nets try again?

And want to bet they stay on the phone a little bit longer?

We said a few months ago that the Lakers are going to find out one thing about their team, with the postseason pending -- whether a frontline of 7-1, 7-0 and 6-10 is the matchup nightmare that it appears to be on paper; or whether they really need another type at the three-spot.

Though we never saw that frontcourt, it's pretty clear where the Lakers are heading. Odom took the biggest hit in the aftermath of Game 6. If L.A. moves anybody, it shall be him, because Pau Gasol is best suited for the four-spot anyway.

But is RJ the right replacement at the 3? If the Lakers figure to meet up with Paul Pierce again next June, there's no one better. Nets fans know that better than anyone.

LINK

hmm. interesting trade if it goes down. i like Richard
"Fix your hair Sasha. Gotta look pretty now" - Stu Lantz
"Lakers play for Championships" ~Lamar Odom
"I just missed some bunnies." ~Kobe on Game1 [NBA Finals]

Estamos Aquí!

add my fansite:
http://www.myspace.com/sashavujacic18
magicmoment

Postby Mr. Sampton on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:19 pm

I love the idea of getting RJ....but the Lakers need to trade Odom for salary reasons and FIT with Bynum and Gasol. I would rather see them trade for a good draft pick like Beasley. That way we can have money to pay Bynum, Turiaf and Sasha what they deserve when the time comes. Being that the time is now for Turiaf and Sasha it would make sense to trade Odom now and get a stud at the 3 for cheap who we can pay when Gasol and Vlad are cheaper and gone....and don't forget about Kobe's extention that will be coming very soon.
Noah Graham/Getty Images
Mr. Sampton

Postby knm131 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:38 pm

kray28 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
knm131 wrote:
kray28 wrote:
knm131 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:Besides Derek Fisher, how many other guy on this team commits a charge as much as Lamar?

Kobe Bryant leads the team in offensive fouls.

Odom is second.

Derek Fisher is third.

Thank you come again.

It's easy to recite stats, but what's the point if they aren't applied or interpreted correctly?

Numbers are skewed when the fact that no one of the team attacks the basket more than Kobe, is taken into account.

He might lead the team in absolute number of charges committed, but he also leads the team in attacks of the basket (and successful conversions and points as well).

It's kind of like turnovers....the more you handle the ball, the greater the chances are that you will commit a turnover. Hence it's not surprising that Kobe also leads the team in turnovers.

Lamar commits charges at a higher rate than anyone of the team.

He didn't ask for rate.

He asked for many guys on the Laker squad commit more than Lamar Odom?

I'm not sure about the rate, as I cannot find any stats out there on time ball spent in hands or, "touches" or anything like that. The closest thing I can see is minutes played.

Odom committed 23 offensive fouls in 2921 minutes (37.9 mins) played this season.
That's 0.0079 offensive fouls per minute played.

Kobe committed 29 offensive fouls in 3192 minutes (38.9 mins) played this season.
That's 0.0091 offensive fouls per minute played.

Unless the rate is just because YOU say so, it looks like Kobe does commit offensive fouls at a greater rate than Odom does as well.

Rate of charges per drive to the basket not minutes?

Duh, right? You can figure it out, but knm131 can't. He's more interested in trying to appear right.

Just in case you don't get it...it's not a per minute rate, it's a per drive (or even a per shot attempt) rate.

Sorry. Already did that. 75% of Kobe's shots are jumpers (thus not drives to the basket). Less than half of Lamar's are jumpers. In the end, both Kobe and Lamar take roughly the same amount of shots close to the basket or for dunk attempts. In fact, if you look, the numbers are almost identical.

Thusly, Kobe's greater offensive foul numbers mean he collected a higher rate of offensive fouls than Lamar when compared against all shots that are NOT jump shots.

I'm really, really sorry but please try again. Thanks bro!
knm131

Postby Black Sheep91 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:41 am

rj for odom swap
idk im on the fence with that one

the experiment of odom-pau-bynum could really pay off or it can just fail
Rj on the other hand can slash, shoot
his defense is okay
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator

Postby leftymo on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:22 am

Weezy wrote:
Lotc wrote:Hell no to RJ....gotta be in the top 5 of overrated players.

Lamar must be on that list as well then. Besides, we don't need a star at the 3, just an athletic and strong guy who can defend and score, that's RJ.

I can think of several athletic strong 3's who can defend and score that's better than RJ...
leftymo

Postby leftymo on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 am

After reviewing the contracts, next season could potentially make or bust this run...

Odom running with that crew is a free agent after next season.

Bynum is a restricted free agent at the end of next season and he'll get big offers.

Kobe can and probably will opt out after next season. (but nobody will outpay us, so he'll just re-up).

Ariza & Mihm's contracts also expire next year.

That's a significant group of players!
leftymo

Postby Radner on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:07 am

last stand wrote:
d.carter4kobe wrote:

right now...

really wow

what are we doing then

L.A. Times wrote:Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss, Kupchak and Jackson will sit down in the next couple of days to assess the team's future.

L.A. Times wrote:Kupchak confirmed that the team's ownership would meet shortly to discuss possible off-season moves.
Radner

Postby mwan.UOP on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:32 am

I don't like it at all.. Lamar is wayyy more versatile and was playing with the most heart during the finals in my opinion.
'I had the brew she had the chronic, the Lakers beat the Supersonics.'
mwan.UOP

Postby Jajwa on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:34 am

I don't give a damn if he's versatile. He has a defined role for next year that he won't meet unless he develops a jumper out of nowhere and plays a spot he's never been able to actually play.
Jajwa

Postby Chicano on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:55 am

I still don't see him (Prince) as a bonified number two scorer as much as per say & in the way of Richard Jefferson, BUT... then that all depends on what kinda player we wanna' aim for more. For example, out of Jefferson, Artest, & Prince, Jefferson imo is easily the best overall scorer & creator, but Artest is overall the best defender & toughest player, Prince on the other hand, is the most complete well rounded game player. To be honest, outside of Ron Artest, I'm truly kinda intrigued by Richard Jefferson for his mad ability to score consistently, create for himself, his aggresive style of attacking the basket AND making the outside shot, getting to the ft line almost 10 times a game, etc, but not that it's THAT huge a deal, but i wish he were a little taller.
Chicano

Postby Valentino Rossi on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:59 am

Aceiz2fresh wrote:Artest n marion first.

theb explore RJ

ARTEST and MARION 1st.....RJ is walking injury all he ever is is injured.....

And you now have a 3 year deal with 42 mil same as you ahve with Lamar, albeit, you might get more balanced production from RJ, but Lamar is a freak, can ball like guard, post up, rebound....

You are losing a little not gaining a little....
"And what is Rome Maximus?"
"I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, ROME is the light..."
Valentino Rossi

Postby Jajwa on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:02 pm

Lamar's rebounding at the 3 is nothing special. He can't post up because that means that Gasol has to go the 3 point line if he does. He's never had success backing down someone from the perimeter. You lose very little if you trade Lamar.
Jajwa

Postby Radner on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:05 pm

Valentino Rossi wrote:

theb explore RJ

And you now have a 3 year deal with 42 mil same as you ahve with Lamar, albeit, you might get more balanced production from RJ, but Lamar is a freak, can ball like guard, post up, rebound....

Artest and Marion are pipe.

Artest told Marc Stein he's not going to accept the MLE. Marion is in the process of re-negotiating a contract which will keep him in Miami. That leaves the Lakers with RJ.

At this point, I don't think they'll even try to get RJ. He's too expensive and hurts us financially. I think Mike Miller may end up being the option since he's cheaper and wouldn't be asking for a whole lot of money once his contract expires. The Lakers are probably comfortable with Ariza as their defensive player.
Radner

Postby d.carter4kobe on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:06 pm

Valentino Rossi wrote:

theb explore RJ

Jefferson has played in 78+ games in 5 of his 7 seasons...I still would want something in more in a Odom-Jefferson deal
d.carter4kobe

Postby Karl11-Caron1 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:08 pm

thats why i was thinking odom should come off the bench at PF

assuming no lineup changes:

Bynum/mbenga/mihm
gasol/odom/turiaf
vlad/ariza/newble/luke
kobe/sasha/coby
fisher/farmar

now we have spacing on the floor for starters with vlad out there
odom goes to a position where he (hopefully) can operate against 2nd string
ariza comes out with defensive intensity for the bench (i didn't put him at starter because we needed to spread the floor for starters)

hopefully we can land a prince/posey/battier type player though (i want the shooting touch and defensive ability for the starting 3 spot...hopefully by trading vlad/luke)

the one uncertainty about this lineup i feel is lamar's leadership. can he lead a group of young guys on the floor? let's hope.
Last edited by Karl11-Caron1 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl11-Caron1

Postby Karl11-Caron1 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:10 pm

d.carter4kobe wrote:
Valentino Rossi wrote:

theb explore RJ

Jefferson has played in 78+ games in 5 of his 7 seasons...I still would want something in more in a Odom-Jefferson deal

IF it happens, i agree. im not a big fan of RJ yet ,haven't seen his complete skill set and dont' know his defensive abilities (is he any good, anybody?) and his HUGE contract makes me say no.

give us harris also for luke/vlad lol
Karl11-Caron1

Postby marcelo on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:28 pm

This should have been done a long time ago.
marcelo

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard