NJ Paper: RJ to Lakers a real possibility

Postby bumrusherer on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:13 am

RJ would be nice. He knows how to play with ball dominant players while still getting his production in.
He plays decent enough defense and has played under a coach who preaches good defense.

I would be perfectly fine with RJ and he is also the lower risk player out of the 3 ( Artest, Marion and RJ ).
RJ would fit seamlessly into the offense.

PS: Artest is the dream though.
bumrusherer

Postby chug o nomics on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:13 am

Vincey wrote:
Andrew Evenstar wrote:
Vincey wrote:
Andrew Evenstar wrote:
If you call 3 of 10 a midrange game, ok then.

You should make a poll of how many shots out of 10 Odom would make from 15 feet and out. He is not a good shooter.

So you're saying the only positive impact he has on the game offensively is driving to the hoop? I question your eye for the game, since he was totally comfortable on the Clippers/Heat on the perimeter.

I'm not calling him a sharpshooter by any stretch, but he has shown that ability. Obviously there are better shooters at the 3 in the league. I'm not about to question that.. I question how or why anyone would want to give up on the prospects of the new lineup before training camp.

Again don't get me wrong, if management indeed ships Odom off this summer I'll be fine with that. The problem with Odom is that he's mentally fragile. With that said, I feel like giving this new lineup a chance.

Odom has always been streaky at best. We need a 3 who can consistently shoot open jumpers. Odom's best skills won't be very evident once we have our towers in place, as he won't be able to drive a lot or rebound as much. If we can find a good defender who can hit open shots, I'd ship Odom out as long as we're getting 80% value. Fit > pure talent.
"The thing that made push pops good is that you had to work for them. IF YOU WERE WEAK YOU DIDN'T GET ANY."
chug o nomics

Postby dvdrdiscs on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:15 am

Vincey wrote:How are you guys so certain he can't play the 3? You guys crack me up.

None of us know how the chemistry will change, how the ball will move, and how the general offense flows with Andrew coming back.

Sure I am open to moving Odom, but I really don't understand how anyone is definitively saying Odom has no chance to play the 3. And there's no logic in saying "since he couldn't play the 4, he won't be able to play the 3." What the Hell?

You speak of logic yet you exhibit none. At the 4, Lamar can't hit the midrange. Think he can do it at the 3? How about that 3PT FG% of his eh? He'll be getting wide open 3's all day playing SF. Think he can hit it consistently and make his defender pay?

Ever seen Lamar drive to the basket? Ever seen his slashing game? Non existent right? How about this, ever seen him commit charges while driving to the hoop?

Think Lamar can defend other SF? Yeah Lamar is long but he's not fast enough.

Hence, I've used logic to show you why Lamar at SF won't work. Besides, did you not see Lamar playing SF in the beginning of the season? Don't even use injury as an excuse. The guy was LOST.

Thank you. Come again!
dvdrdiscs

Postby last stand on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:15 am

RJ is talented but hes also very injury prone and in the past 3 years we've seen what injury prone is
last stand

Postby OX1947 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:15 am

If the Lakers are smart business wise, which they usually are. I would sign Posey for the MLE and then let Lamar decide next year if he wants to take a pay cut. Posey can play D, hit the 3 and is a pressure player. He is exactly what the Lakers need whether at the 3 or off the bench for bargain price. If you put together price and ability, a James Posey would be a better fit, instead of trading that kind of money for another guy who makes almost the same but longer in years.
OX1947

Postby last stand on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:17 am

i'm suprised noone like me wants to jump all over marcus williams in this deal

they have devin harris now

marcus would be our PG of the future easy

i say we nab marcus and josh boone while we are sending odom over there

lamar+vlad for richard jefferson+marcus williams+josh boone makes us a much better team
last stand

Postby Radner on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:19 am

last stand wrote:i'm suprised noone like me wants to jump all over marcus williams in this deal

lamar+vlad for richard jefferson+marcus williams+josh boone makes us a much better team

The Nets won't have a backup point then.
Radner

Postby pd23 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 am

last stand wrote:i'm suprised noone like me wants to jump all over marcus williams in this deal

We could do Odom for RJ and Marcus Williams and then Trade Farmar for a First round pick.
pd23

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:22 am

abeer3 wrote:i like the idea of odom for jefferson, but i'd want more back from nj. like swapping vlad or luke for hassell.

not because hassell is good, but because his contract is a bit shorter, and the lakers are looking at some nasty payroll issues for the next few years.

Yeah, I'd want more included. Definitely wouldn't mind taking Marcus Williams off their hands.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

BadScooter wrote:I wish we could steal Sean Williams from them. He hit the rookie wall pretty hard last year, but he's got tons of potential and was putting up solid numbers in limited minutes. His blocks were ridiculous.

They're too high on him to move him.
JSM

Savory Griddles wrote:I'd put a million dollars down that RJ would move in with Luke while looking for a house......and never move out.

They already live together in the off-season.
JSM

Postby last stand on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:23 am

Radner wrote:

The Nets won't have a backup point then.

to get odom they might make an exception

if you look at a lamar line-up for them

nenad kristic
lamar odom
?????
vince carter
devin harris

if they draft the right guy thats not a bad line-up
last stand

Postby Radner on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:26 am

or another thing you could hope for is this:

Nets draft DJ Augustin which would pissed off Gallinari

Then on draft day, they trade RJ, Hassell, and Williams for Lamar and Vlad
Radner

Postby wallangong on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:26 am

dvdrdiscs wrote:
Vincey wrote:How are you guys so certain he can't play the 3? You guys crack me up.

None of us know how the chemistry will change, how the ball will move, and how the general offense flows with Andrew coming back.

Sure I am open to moving Odom, but I really don't understand how anyone is definitively saying Odom has no chance to play the 3. And there's no logic in saying "since he couldn't play the 4, he won't be able to play the 3." What the Hell?

You speak of logic yet you exhibit none. At the 4, Lamar can't hit the midrange. Think he can do it at the 3? How about that 3PT FG% of his eh? He'll be getting wide open 3's all day playing SF. Think he can hit it consistently and make his defender pay?

Ever seen Lamar drive to the basket? Ever seen his slashing game? Non existent right? How about this, ever seen him commit charges while driving to the hoop?

Think Lamar can defend other SF? Yeah Lamar is long but he's not fast enough.

Hence, I've used logic to show you why Lamar at SF won't work. Besides, did you not see Lamar playing SF in the beginning of the season? Don't even use injury as an excuse. The guy was LOST.

Thank you. Come again!

this post reminds why i take opinion's on CL with even less than a grain of salt.

1) been beaten to death, but the last 2 years, Lamar was not asked to be a 3pt shooter. he's been playing PF. it's convenient to ignore that 3 years ago he attempted over 200 threes and made 37%. Prior to that year, he shot in the 30% range every year but 1. Not lights out, but not as bad as you'd like us to think.

2) to go along with point 1, the last 2 years he didn't get to work on his game in the offseason. not because he chose not to, he COULDN'T.

3) Never drive to the basket? never slash? did you even watch the Lakers this year? especially in the 2nd half of the season.

4) returning from an injury can't be used an excuse as to why he looked like he was playing in preseason early this year? i think anyone who's played basketball long enough will tell you, if you miss a few months, you're going to feel lost out there for a while, especially when changing positions AGAIN.

nothing in your rant showed the prior poster wasn't using logic. but go ahead and attack people's intelligence to further your point.

Thank YOU. Come again!
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:27 am

chug o nomics wrote:It won't happen, but if it does, who would be get with the 10th pick? We don't need him, but I'd love DeAndre Jordan.

I think Mitch and Phil would want Brook Lopez, if he's there.

Drew/Lopez/DJ

I can dig it.
JSM

Postby last stand on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:29 am

Radner wrote:

trade hassell for boone we got a deal

if we can get another 2 young promising players our team will continue to extend its shelf life
last stand

Postby Radner on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 am

last stand wrote:
Radner wrote:

trade hassell for boone we got a deal

if we can get another 2 young promising players our team will continue to extend its shelf life

I doubt they'll give up Boone since he's their best center on the team.
Radner

Postby wallangong on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:33 am

What PG's do the Nets have? I see some people want Marcus Williams, but if they trade him do they have anyone else besides Harris?
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby lakersfan4life78 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:35 am

i love the ludicrous trade proposals. odom for jefferson and the tenth pick. yeah right.

i don't understad the enfatuation with RJ. defiinitely a better offensive player than odom and a more natural three, but is that our problem? we need another 22 ppg guy? he avergaed 4 rebounds a game last year for a three. terrible. odom averaged 10.6.
Bleeding purple and gold for life
lakersfan4life78

Postby chug o nomics on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:45 am

lakersfan4life78 wrote:i love the ludicrous trade proposals. odom for jefferson and the tenth pick. yeah right.

i don't understad the enfatuation with RJ. defiinitely a better offensive player than odom and a more natural three, but is that our problem? we need another 22 ppg guy? he avergaed 4 rebounds a game last year for a three. terrible. odom averaged 10.6.

No one's saying we need a new 2nd option, we just need a damn 3 who can shoot the ball consistently and attack once in a while, is that so hard to understand? When we don't have a 3 who can hit shots, a defender can sag off our guy and help out inside the paint. Odom wouldn't be averaging 10.6 at the 3 with Pau and Drew in the paint.
"The thing that made push pops good is that you had to work for them. IF YOU WERE WEAK YOU DIDN'T GET ANY."
chug o nomics

Postby jlkr on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:00 pm

chug o nomics wrote:
lakersfan4life78 wrote:i love the ludicrous trade proposals. odom for jefferson and the tenth pick. yeah right.

No one's saying we need a new 2nd option, we just need a damn 3 who can shoot the ball consistently and attack once in a while, is that so hard to understand? When we don't have a 3 who can hit shots, a defender can sag off our guy and help out inside the paint. Odom wouldn't be averaging 10.6 at the 3 with Pau and Drew in the paint.

The Celtics cheated off of Odom just as the Lakers cheated off of Rondo. Odom never made them pay for it, what makes anyone think he'll make them pay for cheating from the 3 position? Yeah he shot 37% a few years back. Those days are gone, book it.

Maybe during the regular season, offense was not a problem. But it surely was against the Celtics. No #2 option who could burn the Celtics for paying so much attention to Kobe. Gasol couldn't do it, Lamar didn't even come close. Why was that? The Celtics packed the paint. If the Lakers had someone with a consistent mid-range J and some 3pt accuracy, they could have burned the Celtics back. I want Lamar gone. Artest is my first choice, but failing Artest, then I'm good with RJ.
jlkr

Postby halekulani on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:00 pm

RJ would be sick on the lakers
halekulani

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:01 pm

^^^^ This!!! I like RJ a lot. He's a big time upgrade to what we have right now at the 3.

I don't know if the Lakers will bite right away before trying out LO at the 3, but I would think that they may already have the sneaking suspicion as I do that it won't really work.

As we stand right now we've got LO who has not proved he can play 3 in this offense after two tries so far. We've got Vlad who plays zero defense and is spotty at best in the offense. We've got Luke who has just plummeted into a non-effective player all around. And we've got Ariza who has the best potential of the bunch but is still young and has to prove he can work in the offense.

Of course I'd love to keep Odom and get Artest in the most ideal situation. We'll find out if Artest opts out soon. That's the best possible scenario because our squad would just be insane.

But of all the second options the possibility of getting RJ, a natural starting 3 for Odom sounds fantastic. If on top of that we can throw Vlad Rad in to get rid of him that would be all the better. If we get a PG back on top of that we are really talking. But I would be happy just to switch out Odom for RJ.

I'm worried about LO on both ends - not only can he NOT hit a jumper to save his life (spacing is going to suck, and so is Odom's effectiveness - he always stinks when he hangs out around the three point line in the offense). But also we don't know if he can guard most of the 3's in the league. I don't think he's quick enough to hang with MANY of them. He has length but not the quickness.

RJ = big upgrade for the starting 3. RJ can also get his own shot and has a very nice career FG %, about 47% with a lot of his scoring coming from jumpshooting. Plus he can play some decent defense as well.

I'd take RJ over Mike Miller. Either one I consider an upgrade, but RJ I think would be a little bit better. Plus - I don't think Memphis' owner wants to deal with us again. If Thorn wants to do this trade it should be explored. Of course, not if we land Artest for the MLE, but if that doesn't happen.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JTC on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Not real fond of the RJ trade idea. While he gives us another perimeter scorer I dont think he gives us enough D or rebounding from the 3 spot
And A child shall lead us......... Andrew Bynum

Atheist statistics
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=T27kB4Bjb ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg7IMjlbPbA
JTC

Postby Radner on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:21 pm

JTC wrote:Not real fond of the RJ trade idea. While he gives us another perimeter scorer I dont think he gives us enough D or rebounding from the 3 spot

He's one of the best defenders at his position.
Radner

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard