NJ Paper: RJ to Lakers a real possibility

NJ Paper: RJ to Lakers a real possibility

Postby RobinHood on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:14 am

It was about a year ago that Rod Thorn dialed Mitch Kupchak and floated Richard Jefferson-for-Lamar Odom. The conversation, we're told, didn't last long. Not interested, Mitch said. Besides, I'm a little busy right now, trying to dodge the molotov cocktails Kobe keeps tossing through my office window.

Care to bet the Nets try again?

And want to bet they stay on the phone a little bit longer?

We said a few months ago that the Lakers are going to find out one thing about their team, with the postseason pending -- whether a frontline of 7-1, 7-0 and 6-10 is the matchup nightmare that it appears to be on paper; or whether they really need another type at the three-spot.

Though we never saw that frontcourt, it's pretty clear where the Lakers are heading. Odom took the biggest hit in the aftermath of Game 6. If L.A. moves anybody, it shall be him, because Pau Gasol is best suited for the four-spot anyway.

But is RJ the right replacement at the 3? If the Lakers figure to meet up with Paul Pierce again next June, there's no one better. Nets fans know that better than anyone.

LINK
RobinHood

Re: RJ to Lakers a real possibility ( NJ Paper )

Postby cardom on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:18 am

RobinHood wrote:
It was about a year ago that Rod Thorn dialed Mitch Kupchak and floated Richard Jefferson-for-Lamar Odom. The conversation, we're told, didn't last long. Not interested, Mitch said. Besides, I'm a little busy right now, trying to dodge the molotov cocktails Kobe keeps tossing through my office window.

We said a few months ago that the Lakers are going to find out one thing about their team, with the postseason pending -- whether a frontline of 7-1, 7-0 and 6-10 is the matchup nightmare that it appears to be on paper; or whether they really need another type at the three-spot.

Though we never saw that frontcourt, it's pretty clear where the Lakers are heading. Odom took the biggest hit in the aftermath of Game 6. If L.A. moves anybody, it shall be him, because Pau Gasol is best suited for the four-spot anyway.

But is RJ the right replacement at the 3? If the Lakers figure to meet up with Paul Pierce again next June, there's no one better. Nets fans know that better than anyone.

LINK

He would be great.

1) Can play D
2) Can hit shots
3) Drives to the hole
4) Great passer
5) Might help Luke get it together
cardom

Postby Ni9ne on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:26 am

cardom wrote:
RobinHood wrote:

LINK

He would be great.

1) Can play D
2) Can hit shots
3) Drives to the hole
4) Great passer
Ni9ne

Postby LakerzDQ on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:29 am

cardom wrote:
RobinHood wrote:

LINK

He would be great.

1) Can play D
2) Can hit shots
3) Drives to the hole
4) Great passer

lol, yeah they're friends, but do you expect Luke to be happy that RJ's gonna take away all his minutes? lol. maybe some motivation though.

his 3 point shooting needs to improve a bit though. He's a 36% 3-point shooter, and that's not bad for an all-around guy like him, but I'd like it to get closer to 40%.

if he can do that, he'll be the best SF we can get.
LakerzDQ

Postby Aceiz2fresh on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:29 am

Artest n marion first.

theb explore RJ
Aceiz2fresh

Postby The Maverick on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:33 am

If we couldn't get Artest or Marion, I'd want him.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby RobinHood on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:36 am

If we want RJ we might have to do it as soon as draft night.. with the 10th pick also being in our motivation to do the trade most likely. things should get interesting in the next few days.
RobinHood

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:52 am

but then that means we cant get rid of luke since theyre in love with each other
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Showtime is Magic on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:57 am

The Maverick wrote:If we couldn't get Artest or Marion, I'd want him.

Artest i agree but not Marion. Too much of a money lover and attention grabber. He doesnt get minutes, he gets pissed. Not a team player.

Artest
RJ
Marion
In my opinion
Image Image
Showtime is Magic

Postby OC Lakerfan on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:59 am

If the package is right he seems like a better fit for the Lakers and a better player. He seems to be a hard worker as he has improved much since joining the NBA.
"If I was Kobe," AI continues, "I'd have begged Shaq to come back, and if I was Shaq, I would've begged Kobe to come back. Ego ain't going to get you nothin' except an early exit."
OC Lakerfan

Postby Lord Johnny on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:01 am

do it thorn! and give us harris too :man10: :jam2:
Lord Johnny
Clublakers Rep: Puerto Rico

Postby Aceiz2fresh on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:16 am

vlad, luke, coby, mihm for harris n RJ
: ]
everyone wins.
Aceiz2fresh

Postby earvinfr on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:29 am

What makes you think we want another big contract here ?
earvinfr

Postby leftymo on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:58 am

LA's not getting RJ, or Gilbert, or all the other million bogus ideas.

Uh, going into next season if we aren't the favorites to win it all, we're 2nd. Why would we NEED anything?

Now, the idea is, what LA needs at the SF spot. If it isn't Odom.

Artest is young, so he'd fit in better for a longer run, but he's also a loose cannon! Not exactly a player you want on a young team easily influenced.

Marion is older, he's 30-31 now. But he does all the little things. Putbacks, extra rebounds, defense, steals, and hits the 3. We wouldn't need to run an offense for him, and he would definitely benefit off of two big guys like Pau/Bynum. Plus he can run the break and unlike Odom, finishes more than he doesn't.
leftymo

Location: Scottsdale, AZ. 5 years later, married, 2 kids, 2 Laker Titles

Postby leftymo on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:01 am

earvinfr wrote:What makes you think we want another big contract here ?

:bow: :bow: :bow:

If I were LA, I'd dump salary. Probably for a 2nd round pick. Walton or Vlad rad for nothing.

Pau/Bynum/Kobe and the rest of the core cost too much. Odom could shave 13 million off the books... he's an expiring contract that could land us major talent, but I don't think LA wants to ADD payroll. They'll subtract it or keep it together.
leftymo

Location: Scottsdale, AZ. 5 years later, married, 2 kids, 2 Laker Titles

Postby goldenboy on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:12 am

problem is, both kobe and rj wear the same number, 24.

:mhihi: :mhihi: :mhihi: :mhihi:
"We may have the best offense in the league, but if we don't play defense, it's USELESS."

goldenboy

Postby JamrockLakaFan on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:48 am

Odom fpr RJ + 10th pick

then we package radman with the 10 for an expiring or to a team with caproom.

Welcome to JamRock
Camp Weh Di Thugs Dem Camp at
2 Pound A Weed Inna Van Back :smoker: :smoker: :smoker:

1 Good Thing About Music When It Hits U Feel no Pain
JamrockLakaFan

Postby gill on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:13 am

Aceiz2fresh wrote:Artest n marion first.

theb explore RJ

And Tayshaun too before RJ. :man1:
gill

Postby gill on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:14 am

leftymo wrote:LA's not getting RJ, or Gilbert, or all the other million bogus ideas.

Uh, going into next season if we aren't the favorites to win it all, we're 2nd. Why would we NEED anything?

Now, the idea is, what LA needs at the SF spot. If it isn't Odom.

Artest is young, so he'd fit in better for a longer run, but he's also a loose cannon! Not exactly a player you want on a young team easily influenced.

Marion is older, he's 30-31 now. But he does all the little things. Putbacks, extra rebounds, defense, steals, and hits the 3. We wouldn't need to run an offense for him, and he would definitely benefit off of two big guys like Pau/Bynum. Plus he can run the break and unlike Odom, finishes more than he doesn't.

I find it funny how you mentioned dumping salary in your post right after this, considering Marion wants MAX money after his contract expires. "Yah, let's try to get Marion! He wants max money... by the way, we should dump salary too!" :mhihi:

I'd like Marion too on this team but we're pretty much renting him for one year. Plus the dude was complainin' being a 3rd fiddle in the Suns lineup. What more will he say behind Drew/Pau/Kobe?
gill

Postby The Maverick on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:34 am

JamrockLakaFan wrote:Odom fpr RJ + 10th pick

then we package radman with the 10 for an expiring or to a team with caproom.

They wouldn't give up their pick. They would want Odom because of his expiring contract.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby kray28 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:39 am

Just a word of caution....this is Rod Thorn we'll dealing with.

I'm sure Luke is happy.
kray28

Postby lotus on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:55 am

RJ is a bit overratered as far as I'm concerned. Though he has more heart than Luke, who doesn't, he's still not the tough #3 the Lakers need.

Also, if this team is getting him with the hope that Luke's play will improve, then that is truly pathetic and they are giving Luke too much consideration and power.
lotus

Postby 10scott10 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:00 am

lotus wrote:RJ is a bit overratered as far as I'm concerned. Though he has more heart than Luke, who doesn't, he's still not the tough #3 the Lakers need.

Also, if this team is getting him with the hope that Luke's play will improve, then that is truly pathetic and they are giving Luke too much consideration and power.

you realize that was a joke
10scott10

Postby Pig Miller on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:00 am

he puts up good numbers but i've never liked his game much.

he doesn't seem to be that go to guy we need and while i know we have kobe for that, we also need a 2nd option so kobe isn't tripled team

anyhow, i would rather bring in a more defensive option like others seem to be interested in.

P.S. i'm still not excited about trading odom
Pig Miller

Postby LOL on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:00 am

Marion!?!?are you kidding me?!?!? his guy wants out because he wasnt the focus. now you want him to co exist with bryant, an all star power foward and a up and rising center? all he'll do is screw up our chemistry
LOL

Next

Return to The Graveyard