Is Rajon Rondo the Point Guard the Lakers Are Looking For?

Is Rajon Rondo the Point Guard the Lakers Are Looking For?

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:08 pm

This is Rondo's Happy Face.

By Gary Lee
LakersNation.com

Amongst all the trade rumors swirling around the Lakers, the one that Eric Pincus threw out a couple of weeks ago – Rajon Rondo for Pau Gasol – is the still the most intriguing to me. At the time, most “experts” were saying that the rumors were false and the story had no legs. But now, reports from ESPN say that the Celtics are [url="http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7631850/sources-boston-celtics-aggressively-trying-trade-guard-rajon-rondo"]“aggressively pursuing” trades[/url] for their “high-maintenance” point guard.

Clashes with coach Doc Rivers have also led to the Celtics souring on their All-Star point guard who is only a few years removed from leading the Celtics to tremendous playoff success. Rivers’ played so many mind games with the media, like his famous “starting five” never losing to anyone, so imagine the kind of mind games he played with his own players to try and motivate them.

— [url="http://www.lakersnation.com/kobes-revenge-win-tickets-to-see-the-lakers-beat-the-heat-2/2012/02/29/"]Lakers vs. Heat Ticket Giveaway: Easy to Sign Up so Hurry![/url] —

Even as Lakers fans, we can all admit that we saw how smart Rondo was in the 2008 and 2010 NBA Finals, so much so that it’s most likely Rondo probably saw right through Rivers’ mind tricks and never respected River’s enough to hold back his thoughts and listen.

Now, we all know that the Lakers have been searching for a point guard for the past few years. Not just any point guard as there are all different kinds:

• Scoring Point Guards: Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook
  • Pass-First Point Guards: Jason Kidd, Jeremy Lin
  • Defensive Point Guards: Mario Chalmers, Kirk Hinrich
  • Play-Making Point Guards: Chris Paul, Deron Williams

Notice where Rondo is – a combination of a passer and a defender. This sounds like the point guard the Lakers are going to need if they’re going to make a run in the playoffs.

The Lakers don’t need a scoring point guard yet because they have Kobe Bryant who is averaging 23.7 field goals attempts a game and even with two bigs down low, shows no sign of letting up.

The Lakers need a play-making guard, and it doesn’t look like they’re going to get one since CP3 is barred from coming to the Lakers, Deron Williams is a Dwight Howard signature away from staying in New Jersey and Chicago would literally start a riot that made the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 look like a campfire if Rose ever left for the Lakers.

All Rondo would have to do is play solid defense to stop the top point guards in the league like Westbrook, Rose and Paul and then set up the bigs and wings for easy scoring opportunities like he did in Boston.

In the last three years, Rondo has averaged 9.8, 11.6 and 9.6 assists per year with the Celtics. Imagine what kind of numbers he could put up with a skilled big men with soft hands and solid offensive game.

Now, the last and most important factor about Rajon Rondo that makes me want him rocking the purple and gold – the kid is a winner. Laker fans saw the way he led the Celtics back to the 2010 Finals with his grit and determination. The guy reminds me of a mini-Kobe Bryant with the way he gets angry at anyone who doesn’t want to win as much as he does. Remember the way he fought in Game 7 of the 2010 Finals with those clutch 3′s from the corner?

With his basketball smarts, defense and play-making abilities plus that will to win that you just don’t find in every player, Rajon Rondo definitely has to be someone the Lakers need to get.

http://www.lakersnation.com/is-rajon-ro ... 012/03/01/
Kobe8Fan

Re: Is Rajon Rondo the Point Guard the Lakers Are Looking For?

Postby kenzo on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:37 pm

I was ALL IN for this trade to happen, now it's just pipe.
kenzo

Postby thkthebest on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Lol at that venn diagram. D-Will is a defender? Rubio isn't? :man3:
My signature
thkthebest

Re: Rajon Rondo

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Rajon Rondo has been my favorite point guard in the NBA for the past few years. Tried to sell him as a young Jason Kidd, but to my surprise, no one really appreciated just how special Kidd was, even saying that Nash was better. I’d take Kidd over Nash today. Five years ago. Ten years ago. He can defend and dictate tempo. Nash can’t guard Kobe Bryant. Kidd can. Nash can’t post a triple double. Kidd can. He added the 3-point shot as he aged. The only knock on Rondo was his shooting. Well, watch his 44-point performance against Miami. He was knocking down jumpers from everywhere. Want to criticize his FT shooting? They asked Kareem to work with Bynum. They should ask Magic to work with Rondo. People forget that Magic wasn’t a 90% free throw shooter when he was drafted. Magic had Shaq shooting 70%.

I don’t underestimate Pau Gasol, as many on this site do. I know why he has struggled, these past two years, and it’s because he’s been playing out of position. Pau Gasol is not a forward. He is a center. A paint player. Call it as it is, the Lakers have two All-Star Centers.

Trade the All-Star Center to the Celtics; moves Garnett back to power forward, and with Pierce at the other forward, it could comprise one of the best front-courts in the league today. Knowing the Celtics, they’d probably trade both first round picks to acquire the rights to Doc’s kid, Austin Rivers, who then could replace Rondo at point, and next year Jeff Green could be healthy enough to replace Ray Allen. They’d maintain the speed in the back-court while improving their front-court. Rondo only makes $10 million a year. In trading Gasol’s $19 million, or Bynum’s $16 million (it’ll get upwards of $20 million), they’d essentially get a better player on both ends, for half the cost, while keeping the other Center.
Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JUST-MING

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:52 pm

Yeah Deron has absolutely no business in that category.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Rajon Rondo has been my favorite point guard in the NBA for the past few years. Tried to sell him as a young Jason Kidd, but to my surprise, no one really appreciated just how special Kidd was, even saying that Nash was better. I’d take Kidd over Nash today. Five years ago. Ten years ago. He can defend and dictate tempo. Nash can’t guard Kobe Bryant. Kidd can. Nash can’t post a triple double. Kidd can. He added the 3-point shot as he aged. The only knock on Rondo was his shooting. Well, watch his 44-point performance against Miami. He was knocking down jumpers from everywhere. Want to criticize his FT shooting? They asked Kareem to work with Bynum. They should ask Magic to work with Rondo. People forget that Magic wasn’t a 90% free throw shooter when he was drafted. Magic had Shaq shooting 70%.

Nash has facilitated some of the best offenses this league has ever seen and even had a bad PHX team this season top 10 in offense. The guy is simply one of the best offensive players of all time. Being able to defend at the 1 is hardly as important as being able to control an offense. I wouldn't have a problem with someone taking Kidd over Nash all time but personally I'll go with Nash.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Weezy on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Yes I believe he's the PG any team that doesn't have Paul, Deron, Rose, or Parker already is looking for. We have. Problem is we have no way to get him, it would take Bynum at the very least. And I doubt the Celtics are in a hurry to get rid of the guy that just put up 44/10/8 followed by 21/10/6, a guy who raises his game every single playoffs.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Re: Steve Nash

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:02 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Nash has facilitated some of the best offenses this league has ever seen and even had a bad PHX team this season top 10 in offense. The guy is simply one of the best offensive players of all time. Being able to defend at the 1 is hardly as important as being able to control an offense. I wouldn't have a problem with someone taking Kidd over Nash all time but personally I'll go with Nash.

This is the type of non-sense I’m talking about. Where was the league’s best offense in Dallas? How about after D’Antoni left Phoenix? Back to back years Kidd went to the Finals. Kidd didn’t have Joe Johnson. He had Kerry Kittles. Kidd didn’t have Shawn Marion. (Did in Pheonix.) He had Richard Jefferson. Kidd didn’t have Amare Stoudemire. He had Kenyon Martin. Kidd didn’t have Leandro Barbosa. He had Lucious Harris. Kidd didn’t have Mike D’Antoni. He had Byron Scott. Quite a drop off in talent. Wouldn’t you agree? Nash couldn’t even get to the Finals with all of that; but, that did get him a pair of MVP awards. Smh.
JUST-MING

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Um since Nash joined Phoenix the Suns were no worse than 2nd in offense from 04-10, and the team in 09-10 was so good offensively they rivaled the Showtime Lakers. And ROFL at mentioning D'Antoni, yeah he totally is the reason Nash is still an elite PG at age 50.

And Kidd made the Finals in the garbage East, I don't care much about that. Nash's Suns came damn close to taking out the 09-10 Lakers that's more impressive to me.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Re: Fail

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:11 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:so good offensively they rivaled the Showtime Lakers.

The only team that has come close to rivaling the 80’s Lakers were the 60’s Celtics. Try again.
JUST-MING

Postby John3:16 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:12 pm

When Rondo's athleticism goes (and it goes quick for PGs), what skills does he have?

I'm not necessarily in favor of this, but without a doubt, he'll give us more then Gasol gave the last 2 years in the playoffs. If those are the 2 key parts, I'm in.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:14 pm

No you should probably read what I actually said before you decide to post again.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Re: Athleticism

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:15 pm

John3:16 wrote:When Rondo's athleticism goes (and it goes quick for PGs), what skills does he have?

Look at Kidd. He’s almost 40, and he’s still playing.
JUST-MING

Postby thkthebest on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Nash gets a lot of criticism for not making it to the NBA Finals, but he played in the West where the Spurs or the Lakers made the NBA Finals basically every year. If he played in the weak East, he would have a few Finals appearances.

He also always leads a great offensive team. It doesn't matter who you play next to him.
My signature
thkthebest

Re: Athleticism

Postby John3:16 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:11 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
John3:16 wrote:When Rondo's athleticism goes (and it goes quick for PGs), what skills does he have?

Look at Kidd. He’s almost 40, and he’s still playing.

Nice comparison. Kidd added that 3 ball late in his career. If Rondo does the same he can earn his keep. If he doesn't, I don't see him lasting in the league.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:13 pm

^ The main thing with Rondo's shot is confidence. I'm sure he practices shooting a ton, but once you start doubting yourself nothing but bad things will happen.
XXIV

Postby TIME on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Kobe8Fan, why did you post a poorly written blog post from a rival site that was posted there THREE months ago? :man3:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Return to The Graveyard