Ric Bucher thinks the Lakers should trade Kobe

Re: Ric Bucher thinks the Lakers should trade Kobe

Postby streamline on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:07 pm

kray28 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
Jporkel wrote:If the Colts are willing to let go of Manning, its not inconceivable that the Lakers would consider trading Kobe. A lot of you mentioned his no trade clause, but if you look at baseball, there are tons of players with no trade clauses and they are still able to make trades.

The Colts have zilch to do with the Lakers. In the NFL, you can have partially guaranteed contracts...which is what the Colts had with Manning. They effectively declined their "team option" on him, and he's a free agent. The Lakers can't do anything like that with Kobe until his contract is up.

The Colts are "blowing it up". Ownership fired everybody. GM, Coach, down to the QB. They have the first pick in the draft.

That scenario has nothing to do with the Lakers...a team in a different league, in a different sport, with a totally different CBA.

You should read up on what Kobe's NTC actually is from the standpoint of his contract.

Lakers did something pretty similar...
streamline

Postby intuitivelOve on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 pm

TRADE KOBE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F*** KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
intuitivelOve

Postby BadCoaching on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 pm

intuitivelOve wrote:TRADE KOBE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F*** KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vote for ban
BadCoaching

Postby postaboy on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm all for it. Kobe's pretty much done. For god sakes, I can't even remember when he made a clutch shot for us. All he does is chuck and chuck and chuck.
Last edited by postaboy on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
postaboy

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:13 pm

:man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Here we go with the overreacting fans. :man10:
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby kray28 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:14 pm

intuitivelOve wrote:TRADE KOBE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F*** KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you trade for a brain too?
kray28

Postby lakers_09tv on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Even if we wanted to. We couldn't. He has a no trade clause and his contract is the biggest in the league. No one would take him.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby kray28 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:16 pm

streamline wrote:Lakers did something pretty similar...

The Colts' blow up is about as epic as it gets.....nothing the Lakers have done has come close to it.
kray28

Postby tttppp on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:44 pm

kray28 wrote:
streamline wrote:Lakers did something pretty similar...

The Colts' blow up is about as epic as it gets.....nothing the Lakers have done has come close to it.

The front office has already gotten rid of pretty much everything to do with Phil Jackson. This is pretty similar to the Colts.

No the Lakers can't cut Kobe and they don't have the first pick in the draft. But they can do just as good as the Colts. They can trade Kobe for a young star. Which is exactly what the Colts hope to get in Andrew Luck. Thats pretty similar to the Colts.

You mentioned Kobe's no trade clause. If you follow baseball, you'd know its common for players to have no trade clauses and its fairly common for teams to still trade players with no trade clauses. It can be done.

The real problem with trading Kobe is his huge salary. The NBA makes it almost impossible to make fair trades with the matching of salaries and all that garbage. I don't pretend to be an expert in that. If anything prevents the Lakers from trading Kobe, that would be it.
tttppp

Postby noobiew on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Bucher is smart, he know Kobe is currently frustrated with the FO for not being able make some sort of deal to help his chances of contending.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Jporkel on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 pm

kray28 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
Jporkel wrote:If the Colts are willing to let go of Manning, its not inconceivable that the Lakers would consider trading Kobe. A lot of you mentioned his no trade clause, but if you look at baseball, there are tons of players with no trade clauses and they are still able to make trades.

The Colts have zilch to do with the Lakers. In the NFL, you can have partially guaranteed contracts...which is what the Colts had with Manning. They effectively declined their "team option" on him, and he's a free agent. The Lakers can't do anything like that with Kobe until his contract is up.

The Colts are "blowing it up". Ownership fired everybody. GM, Coach, down to the QB. They have the first pick in the draft.

That scenario has nothing to do with the Lakers...a team in a different league, in a different sport, with a totally different CBA.

You should read up on what Kobe's NTC actually is from the standpoint of his contract.

Nice butchery of the quote. I never said "trade Kobe," I said it was possible that the Lakers might amnesty Kobe. The NTC is utterly irrelevant to amnestying a player. I absolutely understand what a NTC means, I also understand that it has no bearing on amnestying a player. Perhaps you need to read up a bit too.
Jporkel

Postby JGC on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:06 am

Well, Ric joked that his twitter stream was going to blow up after saying this so there is a good chance there were other motives at play here than saying something that makes sense. As mentioned many times in here, Kobe has an NTC so even if the Lakers wanted to, it would be very hard to trade Kobe in a fashion where he would agree to waive it AND another team was willing to move enough pieces to make it worth it. If you're not shedding the majority of Kobe's near $30M, then it doesn't make sense since he still generates a good chunk of your revenue overall. You may save $30M a year but how much will it cost in other basketball related income for you?

The comparison to baseball is a bit unfair. I'm not sure any player in baseball, on a per year basis, makes as much as Kobe does. The closest might be Albert Pujols at $25M per year. Even then, the ratio of the $25M to the overall player 'spend' is lower on a per player basis in baseball than basketball. The minimum roster size in baseball is 25 and the max is 40. Also, I'm not sure about baseball but I don't think they have the same salary matching rules in trades do they?
JGC

Postby tttppp on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:22 am

JGC wrote:Well, Ric joked that his twitter stream was going to blow up after saying this so there is a good chance there were other motives at play here than saying something that makes sense. As mentioned many times in here, Kobe has an NTC so even if the Lakers wanted to, it would be very hard to trade Kobe in a fashion where he would agree to waive it AND another team was willing to move enough pieces to make it worth it. If you're not shedding the majority of Kobe's near $30M, then it doesn't make sense since he still generates a good chunk of your revenue overall. You may save $30M a year but how much will it cost in other basketball related income for you?

The comparison to baseball is a bit unfair. I'm not sure any player in baseball, on a per year basis, makes as much as Kobe does. The closest might be Albert Pujols at $25M per year. Even then, the ratio of the $25M to the overall player 'spend' is lower on a per player basis in baseball than basketball. The minimum roster size in baseball is 25 and the max is 40. Also, I'm not sure about baseball but I don't think they have the same salary matching rules in trades do they?

I was only comparing the no trade clause. MLB is not completely retarded like the NBA...they don't have the salary matching garbage. So it is easier to trade players in baseball than in the NBA. But there have been many times where a player on a bad team waived his no trade clause to play on a contending team. This has happened plenty of times. The no trade clause is not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. The bigger problem is the matching of salaries. That can make a simple trade for Kobe into an almost impossible trade.
tttppp

Postby NoHomeOH on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:44 am

The Colts could afford to lose Peyton because of Andrew Luck. Amnestying Kobe would surely leave us with the worst backcourt of All-Time. Also, it never ceases to amaze me just how fickle some fans can be, and its the same story every year. "Kobes Lost It" "Kobes Selfish" "Trade Kobe" "Dagger to my stomach..". The fact of the matter is that we arent winning a ring unless Kobe is on this team. You live and die by Kobe's decision making and there will be some nights where he's just plain awful but at the same time its resulted in 5 rings.
NoHomeOH

Postby KobeCory8 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 am

such overreactions....honestly it's kobe. he screwed us out of two wins against sh*tty teams in the regular season...oh well. I mean would you really want anyone else in your back court when it comes to the playoffs and he will do anything to win. No. just wait till next game, and you will all be asking him to be MVP. He's a person, he makes mistakes. Oh Well.
KobeCory8

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:33 am

This thread is reminding me of when Kobe had that TERRIBLE game in Denver and people were calling for his head, the next few games he played MUCH better and everyone proceeded to shut the heck up. I'm goin to go out on a limb and say that's what's going to happen again. :man11:
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby JGC on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:19 am

tttppp wrote:
JGC wrote:Well, Ric joked that his twitter stream was going to blow up after saying this so there is a good chance there were other motives at play here than saying something that makes sense. As mentioned many times in here, Kobe has an NTC so even if the Lakers wanted to, it would be very hard to trade Kobe in a fashion where he would agree to waive it AND another team was willing to move enough pieces to make it worth it. If you're not shedding the majority of Kobe's near $30M, then it doesn't make sense since he still generates a good chunk of your revenue overall. You may save $30M a year but how much will it cost in other basketball related income for you?

I was only comparing the no trade clause. MLB is not completely retarded like the NBA...they don't have the salary matching garbage. So it is easier to trade players in baseball than in the NBA. But there have been many times where a player on a bad team waived his no trade clause to play on a contending team. This has happened plenty of times. The no trade clause is not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. The bigger problem is the matching of salaries. That can make a simple trade for Kobe into an almost impossible trade.

Well, the NTC also affects which teams are viable trade partners, doesn't it? I mean the NTC automatically eliminates half the league at least because they aren't contenders.

Without an NTC, you could (if you really wanted) dump a player with a $30M regardless of who he is to the dregs of the league.
JGC

Postby tttppp on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:13 pm

JGC wrote:
tttppp wrote:

Well, the NTC also affects which teams are viable trade partners, doesn't it? I mean the NTC automatically eliminates half the league at least because they aren't contenders.

Without an NTC, you could (if you really wanted) dump a player with a $30M regardless of who he is to the dregs of the league.

The no trade clause can have an impact, but I doubt it would change much. A really bad team would most likely not want to pay Kobe $30 million to lose. Most likely the only teams willing to take on that salary would be teams that have a chance to win a championship with him. So with or without a trade clause, you really can only trade Kobe to a good team.
tttppp

Postby odom1year on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Kobe has been played in this league about 16 years. Looks like he never learn expect shooting.
odom1year

Postby the best_24 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:25 am

This is the funniest thread I've ever seen in my life.
the best_24

Postby nameant on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:16 am

the best_24 wrote:This is the funniest thread I've ever seen in my life.

Not surprising since you're new here. We've had some absolute gems in the past.
nameant

Postby GoldHammish on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:20 am

nameant wrote:
the best_24 wrote:This is the funniest thread I've ever seen in my life.

Not surprising since you're new here. We've had some absolute gems in the past.

Sam Cassell? :man10: :man10: :man10:
GoldHammish

Postby Finwë on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:39 am

it's kinda ridiculous to go on lakers discussion and that THIS thread is first among all others. Not surprising though.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Neo on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:12 am

Out of curiousity: suppose Kobe was actually traded for three or four good players. How do you think fans would react to Jim Buss' decision?
[url=http://www.harvest.org/crusades/2012/los-angeles/home.html:[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]][img:[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]]http://www.harvest.org/share/769.jpg[/img:[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]][/url:[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]]
Neo

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard