Rumor: Michael Beasley For Jordan Hill?

Re: Rumor: Michael Beasley For Jordan Hill?

Postby DMK on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Would have done us good to actually have pulled off the Beasley move when we had the chance.

I like sessions, but Beasley > Sessions.

Now granted, we had a "log jam" at the 3 (which i personally think is a laugher) but Beasley would have been an upgrade for sure.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Phil XI on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Don't see Hill for Beas is possible. Hill might get 4m while Beas wants to get paid in the 7+ range. Minny isn't taking filler (McBob). Maybe Eyenga? Otherwise, the math doesn't work straight up based on what they'll get.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Kou on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Yay for the Offseason!
NBA 2k9 team:

Fisher/Rose/Watson
Bryant/Wells
Lee/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Yi
Bynum/Zo
Kou

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Phil XI wrote:Don't see Hill for Beas is possible. Hill might get 4m while Beas wants to get paid in the 7+ range. Minny isn't taking filler (McBob). Maybe Eyenga? Otherwise, the math doesn't work straight up based on what they'll get.

If they want anyone off of our roster, we'll give 'em Gasol. I think the Lakers will do what they can to hold onto Jordan. He was probably our most effective pick and roll defender and might have been our best rebounder in the playoffs.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Ugh.. this is going to be a really long summer. Thank god there won't be a lock out to cap off another 2nd round beating.
BadCoaching

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:57 pm

My hope is, that is Jordan Hill does walk, that we at least get something out of it. Whether it be a sign and trade for Beasley or someone else. I hope we aren't left with nothing if he decides to leave.

If we could negotiate a 4 year ~20 million dollar deal with Beasley, with him taking 4-5 million in the first year, I think we can pull it off.

Like I said earlier, I think it's easier to replace a Jordan Hill (Amundson / Evans / Martin / Kwame / Mahinmi Allen ) then it is to find a legit bench scorer for that price range. Mini-MLE price range.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 am

Hmm, being a Lakers fan is not easy these days. We have two all stars in Kobe/Drew. We should be thinking we have a championship contender. Yet, we know they cannot contend as is. And their options are limited. Getting a guy like Beasley is going to take some creative financing.

I have a feeling we're going to see a similar team to what we saw the last two seasons. A team that should win over 60 percent of the time and make it to the second round, but thats it. Thats enough to put butts in the seats and watch the Kobe era come to an end.

I would not be surprised if that is the plan all along. Plan for the post Kobe era now by not getting into too many long term obligations. Maybe just Drew. In the meantime, win just enough to keep Staples Center full and make some cash in the process.

The new CBA was designed with the Lakers in mind. Its going to be a lot tougher to build a dynasty than before. Maybe they should stop trading their draft picks.

All we can hope for the next couple years is some breaks like Boston got. They didn't have to see Chicago in round two and maybe come up with a game plan in the conference finals and pull off an upset over a team missing a key player. We really won't be good enough to beat a top team at full strength.

OKC is going to be a top tier team for years to come. SA might decline. Dallas will likely slip too. If you look at what the west could be next year, Lakers could move up by default if everyone else got worse.

if OKC slipped in an early round or a key player got hurt, Lakers could luck into the finals. But that is what we will be reduced to. Hoping something happens to the better team. And that is what the new CBA was designed for.
snackdaddy

Postby JGC on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:29 am

Doc Brown wrote:My hope is, that is Jordan Hill does walk, that we at least get something out of it. Whether it be a sign and trade for Beasley or someone else. I hope we aren't left with nothing if he decides to leave.

If we could negotiate a 4 year ~20 million dollar deal with Beasley, with him taking 4-5 million in the first year, I think we can pull it off.

Like I said earlier, I think it's easier to replace a Jordan Hill (Amundson / Evans / Martin / Kwame / Mahinmi Allen ) then it is to find a legit bench scorer for that price range. Mini-MLE price range.

I would love Beasley, but I don't see how his market value is at or below the mid-level exception. He's a young player with a 20 PPG season under his belt and he's nearly 7-feet tall.

Just for some perspective, some FA signings from last year.

Glen Davis $6.3M/yr
Marcus Thornton $8M/yr
JJ Barea $4.5M/yr
Caron Butler $8M/yr
Kwame Brown $7M/yr
Shane Battier $3M/yr
Kris Humprhies $8M/yr
Tayshaun Prince $6.8M/yr

Based on some of those numbers and situations, $5M is below market value for Beasley. I'd put him around the $8M mark.

Young players just don't take ~50% pay cuts when they're as young as Beasley is and entering their first free agency period.
JGC

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:40 am

JGC wrote:I would love Beasley, but I don't see how his market value is at or below the mid-level exception. He's a young player with a 20 PPG season under his belt and he's nearly 7-feet tall.

Just for some perspective, some FA signings from last year.

Glen Davis $6.3M/yr
Marcus Thornton $8M/yr
JJ Barea $4.5M/yr
Caron Butler $8M/yr
Kwame Brown $7M/yr
Shane Battier $3M/yr
Kris Humprhies $8M/yr
Tayshaun Prince $6.8M/yr

Based on some of those numbers and situations, $5M is below market value for Beasley. I'd put him around the $8M mark.

Young players just don't take ~50% pay cuts when they're as young as Beasley is and entering their first free agency period.

He won't get anything more than 8 million a year. My hope was to have a cheap first year relative to the rest of the contract and have a backloaded last two years where at the end of the day, he's getting what he deserves.

1st year - 5 million
2nd year - 6 million
3rd year - 7 million
4th year player option - 7 million

4 years / 25 million.....might be too much, but once Kobe is off the books, we can afford a 7 million dollar a year player and still be able to go out and make some moves if need be.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby crowdseats on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:27 am

i like the idea, and beasley is a good player in his own right, but im surprised that they wouldn't go for a 3point shooter/defender a la mike miller shane battier. someone who can spread the floor and contribute on defense, but doesn't need the ball in his hands for long at all. beasley has some history to him, and i think it would be difficult for him to sit on a roster behind kobe pau bynum and even ramon sessions
crowdseats

Postby The Rock on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:32 am

Rick Adelman is as good as an offensive coach there is. If Beasley had problems producing there then I dont know how he'll do in "Mike Brown's system"

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:34 am

The Rock wrote:Rick Adelman is as good as an offensive coach there is. If Beasley had problems producing there then I dont know how he'll do in "Mike Brown's system"

Mike Brown and "system" is a bit of an oxymoron.
Savory Griddles

Re: Contender

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:19 pm

snackdaddy wrote:We have two all stars in Bryant/Bynum. We should be thinking we have a championship contender.

MVP voting: James (1st). Durant (2nd). | Bryant (4th). | Wade (11th). Westbrook (12th).
DPOY voting: Ibaka (2nd). Howard (3rd).
Six Man voting: Harden (1st).

Oklahoma City: G (Westbrook). G/F (Sefolosha). F (Durant). F/C (Ibaka). C (Perkins). 6th (Harden).
JUST-MING

Postby JGC on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Doc Brown wrote: He won't get anything more than 8 million a year. My hope was to have a cheap first year relative to the rest of the contract and have a backloaded last two years where at the end of the day, he's getting what he deserves.

1st year - 5 million 2nd year - 6 million 3rd year - 7 million 4th year player option - 7 million

4 years / 25 million.....might be too much, but once Kobe is off the books, we can afford a 7 million dollar a year player and still be able to go out and make some moves if need be.

How can 4 yrs $25M be too much? That is less than he made this season. I just cannot see him taking less money than he is making now in his first free agent period. Why would he do that?
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Because the market may command that. He may be a very good scorer but he's comi.g off of a very disappointing season. There's no saying whether or not he's worth 7-8 million anymore.

He's only getting paid that much because of his draft number. It's almost arbitrary going into his first new contract. I'd say he's worth something like 7 per year. Doc is saying give him a back loaded contract so he gets all the money he wants, but the Lakers take the hit later.

Personally I'm hoping for something like 21 million over three years. Seven million per year maybe an option 4th.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Contender

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:47 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
snackdaddy wrote:We have two all stars in Bryant/Bynum. We should be thinking we have a championship contender.

MVP voting: James (1st). Durant (2nd). | Bryant (4th). | Wade (11th). Westbrook (12th).
DPOY voting: Ibaka (2nd). Howard (3rd).
Six Man voting: Harden (1st).

Oklahoma City: G (Westbrook). G/F (Sefolosha). F (Durant). F/C (Ibaka). C (Perkins). 6th (Harden).

The Thunder’s core of Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and James Harden are all only 22-23 years old and should get better. Durant is already a two-time runner-up for the MVP. He probably should have won it this season. Westbrook is already an All-NBA 1st/2nd team guard. He is probably better than Derrick Rose. Ibaka is already the runner-up for the DPOY. He ‘shut down’ the Laker’s “Twin Towers” of Bynum (16 points on 44% shooting, 9 boards) Gasol (12 points on 44% shooting, 10 boards). As for Harden 12.5 points on 43% shooting, 9.5 boards, 3.5 assists vs. 17.5 points on 45% shooting, 5 boards, 3.5 assists
Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JUST-MING

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:49 pm

LeBron desrerved the MVP.
Ibaka is nowhere near the DPOY.
And Westbrook is definitely not better than Rose.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: DPOY

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:53 pm

therealdeal wrote:Ibaka is nowhere near the DPOY.

You think Chandler or Howard ‘shut down’ Gasol and Bynum as Ibaka just did? The team shot under 42%.

Nowitzki and Duncan were also held to 44% shooting. The Mavs shot just 40%.
JUST-MING

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:09 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Ibaka is nowhere near the DPOY.

You think Chandler or Howard ‘shut down’ Gasol and Bynum as Ibaka just did? The team shot under 42%.

Defense is a team effort, no one single-handedly hinders both Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum. Pau was affected because he was not very aggressive, took too many jumpers, and could not handle the physicality of Oklahoma.

Andrew was affected because they double and triple teamed him throughout the series.

Ibaka did not single-handedly do anything.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:10 pm

therealdeal wrote:Ibaka did not single-handedly do anything.

He was a big effin part of it. He made it all work. You can’t credit Garnett for Boston’s defense, then not credit Ibaka for Oklahoma City’s defense. He was selected to the All-Defense 1st team, and runner-up for the DPOY. I’d think the coaches and the media might know a bit more than you do, bro.

Notice a trend? Nowitzki: 44% shooting. Gasol: 44% shooting. Bynum: 44% shooting. Duncan: 44% shooting.
Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JUST-MING

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:16 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Ibaka did not single-handedly do anything.

He was a big effin part of it. He made it all work.

He was a part of it.

So were Westbrook, Harden, and Sefolosha who not only played very good perimeter defense, but doubled effectively.

So were Perkins and Collison. They played very well down low and around the basket, keeping Pau and Andrew off of the glass and away from the spots that they wanted to be.

To give Ibaka credit would be like giving Artest all the credit when our offense was working well. Just because he's an important piece to that, doesn't mean he's the most important piece. And that especially doesn't mean that he was the Defensive Player of the Year.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:19 pm

therealdeal wrote:So were Westbrook, Harden, and Sefolosha who not only played very good perimeter defense.

None of them checked Gasol and Bynum. Give the man credit.
JUST-MING

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:25 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
therealdeal wrote:So were Westbrook, Harden, and Sefolosha who not only played very good perimeter defense.

None of them checked Gasol and Bynum. Give the man credit.

Are you reading my posts? They were the ones doubling the big men effectively and cutting off the passing lanes. Give the men credit.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JUST-MING on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:30 pm

therealdeal wrote:Are you reading my posts?

Doesn’t even warrant a response. Denver double-teamed Bynum, and he still shot 51.2%.
JUST-MING

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:34 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Are you reading my posts?

Doesn’t even warrant a response. Denver double-teamed Bynum, and he still shot 51.2%.

That's funny because you responded. All that tells me is that Denver didn't do it as effectively as Oklahoma.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard