Trade Rumor - Bynum/Gasol for Howard/Turkoglu/Nelson

Re: Trade Rumor - Bynum/Gasol for Howard/Turkoglu/Nelson

Postby kenzo on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Howard wants no part of the Lakers (he's in love with Deron), stop with this madness :man9:
kenzo

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I suggest everyone that is for this trade look past the names involved and check the contracts of the players coming over in the trade.

Let's just say it makes MWP's and Luke's contracts look great to have.

This.

We get howard and put ourselves in absolute cap hell, reminiscent of the Knicks a few years back. He would look at our ledger and see a 33 year old Kobe and ZERO ability to improve the roster and leave at the end of the season.
Savory Griddles

Postby The Laker Link on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I suggest everyone that is for this trade look past the names involved and check the contracts of the players coming over in the trade.

Well, let's hope Mitch and everyone learned from the Shaq trade, maybe they can work it out to be ok for us.

I agree that there are things that suck about this trade, but I feel like there can be some good up side to this deal.

And again, I feel there is more. Like it wasn't just the Lakers getting Paul from the Hornets.

So let's just wait and see and let this thing develop into something that could be good.
The Laker Link

Postby Musttang87 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:08 pm

No way lakers do this trade, especially since you can't amnesty traded players. If you asked me before the season started in December I would of told you to gift wrap Gasol/Bynum and send over whatever bad contracts Orlando wants to get rid of. I'm not speaking for myself when I say most Laker fans are over Howard and Orlando's shenanigans, look what happened to New York with Melo...
Musttang87

Postby The Laker Link on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:

This.

We get howard and put ourselves in absolute cap hell, reminiscent of the Knicks a few years back. He would look at our ledger and see a 33 year old Kobe and ZERO ability to improve the roster and leave at the end of the season.

Amnesty
The Laker Link

Postby BadCoaching on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Yea screw that trade. That ESPN guy on the Rondo thread explained it perfectly.

ESPN wrote:
The main problem is Dwight Howard isn't demanding a trade. Until he demands a trade or the deadline hits.. Orlando won't make a move unless the move is heavily in their favor. There is little to no doubt they are interested in Bynum and Orlando knows no other team, but themselves, have any chance to acquire Bynum before the trade deadline. They are waiting the Lakers out. They want Bynum and Gasol and they want to unload their bad contract players in return for Gasol. Orlando is hoping the Lakers become desperate enough to make changes and that those changes are in Orlando's favor. So don't expect Orlando to publicly show any interest at all, that isn't completely ridiculous and 100% in their favor, before the trade deadline. Right now Orlando is trying to get Dwight Howard to resign. The rumors are growing that Dwight may resign if Orlando fires Stan Van Gundy.

So if the Lakers hold strong and Orlando can't resign Dwight before the deadline, there will be a trade for Andrew Bynum.
BadCoaching

Postby The Laker Link on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Could you put Jameer around for Felton? I mean throw in some little stuff but could you do that?
The Laker Link

Postby GoldHammish on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:13 pm

The Laker Link wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:

This.

Amnesty

Are you suggesting we amnesty one of Turk/Nelson? We can't do that. We can only amnesty players we had on our team before the CBA was agreed to, is my understanding of the rule.
GoldHammish

Postby Weezy on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Yes, you can only amnesty players we had on our roster before the start of this season, not any players we'd trade for.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:18 pm

The Laker Link wrote:Well, let's hope Mitch and everyone learned from the Shaq trade, maybe they can work it out to be ok for us.

Wait what with this trade we're taking back almost 40 million in contracts, Kobe makes over 20 million. Ooops already over the salary cap. Is our big 3 going to be D12 / Kobe / Hedo...Haha no way. The only thing they are working out is not doing that horrible trade at all.

I agree that there are things that suck about this trade, but I feel like there can be some good up side to this deal.

Please explain the upside of this deal aside from D12.

And again, I feel there is more. Like it wasn't just the Lakers getting Paul from the Hornets.

So let's just wait and see and let this thing develop into something that could be good.

This makes no sense. The CP3 deal got us a star and saved us luxury tax money and we got a large TPE. This deal we get a star, lose our twin towers and get effed in contracts and luxury tax. This trade is garbage.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby abeer3 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:19 pm

i don't like it unless more is coming back. swallowing hedo's deal and giving up both bigs doesn't work. it's one or the other, imo: you get to dump hedo or you get both bynum and gasol.

i really don't see a two-team deal working for dwight to la.

not one that makes la better right now.

on the other hand, lakers management may feel that getting howard right now may be their last shot at a franchise-level player for a while. if the new cba really works the way owners want, you'll have to draft that guy. which means you'll have to suck. a lot. for a long time.
Last edited by abeer3 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abeer3

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Now if it was pau and drew for Howard and some other team taking on those contracts I'd say that softens the blow because we become a more flexible team. Still don't have cap room to sign a max player but you become flexible to bring some legit starters in here

We'll have to wait and see. People should stop saying "this will definitely not happen" because you never know
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby KaliCin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Bynum/Gasol for Howard/Turkoglu/Nelson would be good for both teams its giving up alot but u always have to judge a trade by what teams get the best player an howard is i love bynum and gasol but no one will go to staples to see them u get the star then u build around him it might not be a great deal as far as short term but in the long run it will be great the lakers will add the pieces they need and we will have our star for the next 10 yrs so get off the ledge if this does happen and thats a big if it would be good for the lakers we are not winning a chip with gasol and bynum so it wont matter if we dump them and we can always amnistey Turgoglu
KaliCin

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:22 pm

KaliCin wrote:Bynum/Gasol for Howard/Turkoglu/Nelson would be good for both teams its giving up alot but u always have to judge a trade by what teams get the best player an howard is i love bynum and gasol but no one will go to staples to see them u get the star then u build around him it might not be a great deal as far as short term but in the long run it will be great the lakers will add the pieces they need and we will have our star for the next 10 yrs so get off the ledge if this does happen and thats a big if it would be good for the lakers we are not winning a chip with gasol and bynum so it wont matter if we dump them and we can always amnistey Turgoglu

The lost art of the period.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Laker Link on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:22 pm

GoldHammish wrote:
The Laker Link wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
This.

Amnesty

Are you suggesting we amnesty one of Turk/Nelson? We can't do that. We can only amnesty players we had on our team before the CBA was agreed to, is my understanding of the rule.

I was suggesting 1 and I thought you could amnesty 1 player per off-season from now on.
The Laker Link

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:23 pm

If we somehow land bargnani in this supposed deal then I'm ok with it because bargnani would flourish with Kobe and Dwight. That's probably the only way I get behind it

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Keep in mind, Dwight Howard took a team of Jameer Nelson and Turkoglu (plus crap parts) to the Finals in 2009
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:28 pm

PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:Keep in mind, Dwight Howard took a team of Jameer Nelson and Turkoglu (plus crap parts) to the Finals in 2009

Keep in mind a one-legged Bynum and Pau Gasol embarrassed D12 in the finals that year. What's your point?
Doc Brown

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:29 pm

PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:Keep in mind, Dwight Howard took a team of Jameer Nelson and Turkoglu (plus crap parts) to the Finals in 2009

Keep in mind that was in a horrible east where Garnett was hurt for the Celts and LBJ was in Cleveland with zero help other than Mo Williams.
dd
Savory Griddles

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Rashard Lewis was there to. Not to mention Courtney lee, pietrus.

Oh and hedo, shard, and pietrus were shooting lights out, and their competition was the Cleveland cavaliers

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Weezy on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:30 pm

KaliCin wrote:Bynum/Gasol for Howard/Turkoglu/Nelson would be good for both teams its giving up alot but u always have to judge a trade by what teams get the best player an howard is i love bynum and gasol but no one will go to staples to see them u get the star then u build around him it might not be a great deal as far as short term but in the long run it will be great the lakers will add the pieces they need and we will have our star for the next 10 yrs so get off the ledge if this does happen and thats a big if it would be good for the lakers we are not winning a chip with gasol and bynum so it wont matter if we dump them and we can always amnistey Turgoglu

I would rather ride it out and see if we can win with Bynum and Gasol rather than getting Howard and going through this 'trade me' crap down the line when he doesn't like playing in LA anymore either. There's not guarantee he sticks around if you trade for him, there's no guarantee you win with him. He's a great player, but with so much attention being on him this year I've paid more attention to him than ever before and IMO he is not THAT great, he's not taking a franchise to multiple titles with his childish attitude and caring more about getting the ball at the end of games more than just winning.

And yes, his team went to the Finals one year, but really they beat a Boston team with no KG, and a Cleveland team that was just a great matchup for them that was LeBron and nobody else. That team also got ridiculously hot from 3 that year, that's not usually how teams get to the Finals or win titles, by pretty much all outside shooting. I'm still not sold on the guy as an absolute franchise player that can take a team to championships. He could be a good main piece to build around in the future IF he agreed to stick around though, but the past and present tell us that if he doesn't get what he thinks is a good enough team around him he'll want out and ask out.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Positive in this deal. We free up all our cap by 2014

Just in time for Lebron James :man9:

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby The Laker Link on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
The Laker Link wrote:Well, let's hope Mitch and everyone learned from the Shaq trade, maybe they can work it out to be ok for us.

Wait what with this trade we're taking back almost 40 million in contracts, Kobe makes over 20 million. Ooops already over the salary cap. Is our big 3 going to be D12 / Kobe / Hedo...Haha no way. The only thing they are working out is not doing that horrible trade at all.

Please explain the upside of this deal aside from D12.

This makes no sense. The CP3 deal got us a star and saved us luxury tax money and we got a large TPE. This deal we get a star, lose our twin towers and get effed in contracts and luxury tax. This trade is garbage.

With the Shaq deal, remember when we were all mad we got Brian Grant and not Wade? That's what I mean by learn from it. That we do get SOMETHING helpful and not just take the money to take the money.

And I feel upside since we are getting a PG. Does it solve our PG problem, well we might have to wait and see but it's something.

And the Paul trade, we were hoping that it wasn't just Paul coming to the Lakers for Odom and Pau, and word was there were some other things like Gray I think? or something do that there was more.

Look, I know I'm not the wisest on NBA stuff which is why I am just saying how I feel about all this.

I'd be willing to take the risk on this deal, because I'd look to get Beasley, Sheed, and maybe turn Jameer and others into Felton and then go from there.

So, you guys can call me crazy and dissect my posts but I'm siding with you guys on some things which disagreeing on other things.

I really believe more could come, I mean the article says Toronto is involved, could the Lakers get someone from there? Could Mike Brown coach these guys well enough to get Turk and Nelson and Dwight at their fullest potential?

There's a lot of unsaid and unknown factors.

But also this still is a rumor, and it has till march 1st to go down. If it doesn't happen, I'll live.
The Laker Link

Postby Alcindor on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Can't amnesty Turkoklu as explained a few posts up already.
Alcindor

Postby GoldHammish on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:38 pm

The Laker Link wrote:I was suggesting 1 and I thought you could amnesty 1 player per off-season from now on.

We cannot amnesty either Turkoglu or Nelson if we acquire them via trade. We can only amnesty 1 player for the duration of the current CBA.
GoldHammish

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard