Trade Rumor - Bynum/Gasol for Howard/Turkoglu/Nelson

Re: Trade Rumor - Bynum/Gasol for Howard/Turkoglu/Nelson

Postby jlkr on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Sheesh, Lakers are getting the short end if Hedo and Nelson are all that's coming with Howard in exchange for both Bynum and Gasol. Especially if Orlando then replaces Nelson with Calderon. Calderon with Bynum, Gasol, Anderson and Redick, now that's a playoff team. Dunno if good enough to knock off Chicago or Miami, but definitely up there with the rest. And what do the Lakers get to go with Howard? Nelson isn't enough of an improvement to make giving up both Bynum and Gasol for Howard palatable. Hedo is... sigh ... his best days are behind him, that's as generous an assessment I can make of him.

I agree Lakers should take Gasol off the table with the Rondo trade, then offer Bynum, fill-in and a 1st for Howard, take it or leave it. Cut Kapono or Harris. Beasley for TPE + other 1st. ORL already have Anderson at PF anyway...

Rondo
Kobe
Beasley
Murphy/JO
Howard/JO

Works for me. If Beasley pans out, can keep him with Rondo and Howard for the post-Kobe era.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby The Original 81 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Not a fan of the trade. Point guard is our biggest issue right now and thats what we should be looking to improve significantly, and acquiring Jameer isn't good enough.

I just don't like giving up both Pau and Drew.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby M2K on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:49 pm

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Terrible trade...Hedo's terrible contract...Nelson is barely an upgrade over Blake/Fisher...so we basically trade our two talented big men for one talented big man... 2 > 1 (even if that one is Dwight Howard).

The ONLY trade for Howard should be Bynum + fillers (young players, draft picks, etc) or else we gave away too much.

Remember...Orlando MUST trade...we don't...!
M2K

Postby M2K on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:51 pm

The Original 81 wrote:Not a fan of the trade. Point guard is our biggest issue...acquiring Jameer isn't good enough.
M2K

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:13 pm

If we make this trade, I believe we'll make a couple more moves to shore up the roster...one of them being Beasley for the TPE...another could be flipping Nelson for Felton..or I dunno. I don't think this is a good trade for us but it does ensure us of having a superstar for the future...
FabFourLakers

Postby Quik Z06 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:42 pm

I've been a Lakers fan since the mid 80's and as tough as it is sometimes, there comes a time when you need to shake things up. If this trade happens as mentioned, I'm sure others will follow. Look this team is mediocre at best right now. We are not going anywhere with this team so I don't see how anyone could want to just keep the current team and ride it out. We need fresh young talent, this team looks old and slow.
Quik Z06

Postby lakerfan2 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 pm

If we can pull Indiana to take on Hedo's contract and get some fillers back like Dhantay Jones or something (because Indiana needs to meet the minimum for cap), get Orlando to give us Ryan Anderson for McRoberts, I'd be more satisfied with this rumor. Then we sign Sheed to the minimum as a backup C and get Beasley for that Dallas pick.

Nelson/Fisher/Blake
Kobe/Jones/Goudelock
Peace/Barnes
Anderson/Beasley/Murphy
Howard/Wallce

I'd be okay with this team.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Id be shocked if this trade did happen....see this team being worse honestly with the 3 coming in vs. the 2 going out.
khmrP

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:Keep in mind, Dwight Howard took a team of Jameer Nelson and Turkoglu (plus crap parts) to the Finals in 2009

Keep in mind a one-legged Bynum and Pau Gasol embarrassed D12 in the finals that year. What's your point?

I wasn't talking about the ability of the Lakers, I was talking about what the trio of D12, Hedo and Nelson were able to do. What's YOUR point?
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:Keep in mind, Dwight Howard took a team of Jameer Nelson and Turkoglu (plus crap parts) to the Finals in 2009

Howard didn't take them anywhere.....
As for your crap parts....

Nelson: 16.7 ppg on 50% shooting....
Lewis: 17.7 ppg.... 40% from 3...
Turk: 16.8 ppg... hit several game winners that year....
Alston: 12.5 ppg...
Pietrus: 9.4 ppg
Lee: 8.4 ppg.

Their bench was well balanced and would kill our current bench.....

Unless you are talking bout actually "taking" them to to the finals in his SUV or something I think you might want to re-visit that year and look at that team a little harder. They had 3 All Stars and a very deep bench. Also look at just how Dwight did against our often criticized soft PF over 6 games....

18.3 ppg, 13.2 rbg, 2.8 bpg shooting 61% from the field.....

Yes, you're right. He didn't take them to the Finals.
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Bottomline, I don't like the trade. I think we take on too much contract to get an elite player.

But in the end, I STILL don't trust Bynum's knees and I sure as hell don't trust that Gasol won't wilt again come playoff time.

We're not playing our best ball and this Mike Brown offense won't run properly without some semblance of a point guard.
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Those are nice numbers....but hardly dominant. That team got far for two reasons:

1. Unreal three point shooting.
2. LeChoke crapping the bed in the ECF.
kray28

Postby dak22 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 pm

PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Keep in mind a one-legged Bynum and Pau Gasol embarrassed D12 in the finals that year. What's your point?

I wasn't talking about the ability of the Lakers, I was talking about what the trio of D12, Hedo and Nelson were able to do.

You mean like losing to the hawks in the first round after sweeping them the year before?
dak22

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:23 pm

dak22 wrote:
PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Keep in mind a one-legged Bynum and Pau Gasol embarrassed D12 in the finals that year. What's your point?

I wasn't talking about the ability of the Lakers, I was talking about what the trio of D12, Hedo and Nelson were able to do.

You mean like losing to the hawks in the first round after sweeping them the year before?

And Gasol, Bynum and Kobe were swept by an extremely hot Mavs team. It happens.
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:25 pm

PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:I wasn't talking about the ability of the Lakers, I was talking about what the trio of D12, Hedo and Nelson were able to do. What's YOUR point?

What did the trio of Kobe/Pau/Bynum do again? Who has the hardware and who doesn't?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:30 pm

Terrible trade. Howard is not coming to L.A. accept it and move on.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Magic Deny Rumors Of Imminent Howard To Lakers Trade
Feb 26, 2012 11:12 PM EST
The Magic are denying a rumor that they have reached a deal with the Lakers and Raptors involving Dwight Howard.

Howard, Hedo Turkoglu and Jameer Nelson would go to the Lakers, while the Magic would receive Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and possibly Jose Calderon.

Alex Martins, CEO of the Magic, confirmed to the Sentinel that the rumor is wrong.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1nYQgwiDo

No superwoman folks..... :man6: :man6:

Thank God.../thread :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JGC on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:51 pm

The contracts aren't great, but they do still line up with the 2014 plan. Well, unless we extend Howard which I'm guessing we will do.

If Kobe were younger, I'd be a lot more excited about this deal.
JGC

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:52 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:I wasn't talking about the ability of the Lakers, I was talking about what the trio of D12, Hedo and Nelson were able to do. What's YOUR point?

What did the trio of Kobe/Pau/Bynum do again? Who has the hardware and who doesn't?

Why are you comparing what the Lakers did to what the Magic did?

Of COURSE I take that Lakers team over the Magic team.

Are we the same team? Unfortunately, we are not

Do you REALLY think this Lakers team is capable of winning a championship? Just answer that question.
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:54 pm

kray28 wrote:

Those are nice numbers....but hardly dominant. That team got far for two reasons:

1. Unreal three point shooting.
2. LeChoke crapping the bed in the ECF.

I wonder why those Magic players were so wide open?
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Magic Deny Rumors Of Imminent Howard To Lakers Trade
Feb 26, 2012 11:12 PM EST
The Magic are denying a rumor that they have reached a deal with the Lakers and Raptors involving Dwight Howard.

Howard, Hedo Turkoglu and Jameer Nelson would go to the Lakers, while the Magic would receive Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and possibly Jose Calderon.

Alex Martins, CEO of the Magic, confirmed to the Sentinel that the rumor is wrong.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1nYQgwiDo

No superwoman folks..... :man6: :man6:

Thank God.../thread :jam2:

Superwoman? :man10:

Good one.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:59 pm

PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:What did the trio of Kobe/Pau/Bynum do again? Who has the hardware and who doesn't?

Why are you comparing what the Lakers did to what the Magic did?

Of COURSE I take that Lakers team over the Magic team.

Are we the same team? Unfortunately, we are not

Do you REALLY think this Lakers team is capable of winning a championship? Just answer that question.[/quote]

Because the trio of K-G-B is way better than D12/Nelson/Hedo...why would we do that trade and get worse? I can compare them if that's what were exchanging. Kobe/D12/Hedo/Nelson is worse than we are right now. Not to mention the contracts are horrendous.

Is Hedo and Nelson the same as they were back then? No they aren't. This team right now can't win a championship, the team after this trade is definitely not winning a ring. And we are effed because we have no room to add anybody.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Alright the trade rumor was denied by the Magic and we have a massive Howard thread open now so...

lockdown.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to The Graveyard