Who's the next Laker coach? (NEW POLL, VOTE FOR 2!)

Who gets your vote?

Jerry Sloan
10%
Stan Van Gundy
15%
Jeff Van Gundy
27%
George Carl
8%
Byron Scott
10%
Kurt Rambis
4%
Someone else
23%

Total votes : 163

Re: Who's the next Laker coach? (NEW POLL, VOTE FOR 2!)

Postby KB24 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:54 pm

After Potato head and Pringles we better make a solid choice or else I'm going crazy.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:40 pm

I agree that bringing Brown in while Kobe is still here would be a bad idea.. He's not a great coach of stars.. He breaks everyone down equally & forces them to do things his way.. He's a much better fit for a team like the Cavs who are lead by a young star who needs to have that discipline instilled in him still.
LakersN4

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:14 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike D return next season as well...
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Los Angeles Lakers seek new Head Coach?

Postby KaliCin on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:14 pm

7 possible candidates for the lakers head coach job http://indyshowcasesports.com/lakersheadcoach/
KaliCin

Postby LOSLAKERS on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Not a fan of Jeff Van Gundy to be honest... I agree with ^that article, I think he's overrated.
LOSLAKERS

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:18 am

You call that an article?

"I am sure he can get the team playing well fast but for how long plus his age makes him not seem like a great fit."

I don't know what's worse: that sentence - or the fact that Scott ended up being #1 on the list.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:32 am

I've been against Byron Scott because his main value as a coach is in developing PG's & we already have a coach that can make a D-League PG lead the league in assists.. But after an entire season of players either making jokes or flat out complaining to the media about D'antoni.. It's clear that we need a coach they respect.. Kobe respects Byron & respect has a way of trickling down.. If our Alpha Dog respects him the rest of the team will fall in line. With Phil off the market Byron is my #1 choice unless somehow Thibs/Vogel/Carslisle/Pop become available.
LakersN4

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:53 am

Not only does the coach have to command respect, but you need a winning identity. Normally that means that the coach has to value the defensive end. At one point in the game last night, Meeks leaks out for an uncontested layup once Patty Mills made a layup at the other end. That made a 32 point deficit 30 and Pop was livid, immediately calling a timeout to berate Mills. That's the type of coach we need. No BS and is not afraid to rip his players a new one if they are out of line. I'm tired of this free reign BS.

And getting back to Pop, isn't it amazing that they continue to be at the top of the league. They were there when Phil first came on board and we made our 3peat run....all the way to the present where we utterly suck and are in the Western basement while they're the number 1 team in the league.

Look at how Pop prolonged their run with Duncan-Parker-Gino....in fact, Parker is the only guy on that team that plays a shade over 30 minutes per game. Meanwhile, Kobe played 6 games this year :mad1:

1) Demands his players' respect
2) Proven identity/team concept/Enforces MFing DEFENSE!!!!!!!
3) Not afraid to bust his players' @***
4) Responsible time management

All qualities I want in a coach....and here's my list for management
1) Sincerely and honestly apply due diligence in their next coaching hire :bang:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:22 am

So who's your coaching choice then V? Can't be Pop, anyone like him available? I still have no idea myself, I wouldn't be opposed to Hollins, I don't really want Karl, and I'd be ok with either Van Gundy. As for Scott, I don't know, he has been to 2 Finals as a coach, he is part of the Laker family, and he does care about defense. On the other hand his players seem to get sick of him, and I'm not sure that having played with Kobe and kind of being his buddy, that he could command his full respect.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:56 am

JVG would be on top of my list....and his intangibles are that he knows how to work and handle big market teams and press.

Then in no particular order:
SVG, BScott, Hollins, and any of the obvious choices (even plucking Riles out of Miami like we tried to do some years ago or obviously Thibs)

Dark horse candidates:
DFish, Armond HIll (Docs assistant), Andy Greer (Thibs assistant and previously JVG assistant), Chad Forcier (Pop assistant and previously GKarl/RCarlisle assistant), Dan Burke (Vogel assistant and previously Carlisle/Adelman assistant), David Fizdale (Spoels/Riles assistant)
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Fire knucklehead and get someone good who coaches both sides of the ball. Doesn't seem like rocket science. There are solid candidates out there: Karl, Hollins, either Van Gundy or yes, Byron Scott who I happen to like as well. I'd be happy with any of those guys.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Steve Kerr?

Derek Fisher should be on the staff.

I like the idea of JVG but I'm not sure he can handle the players. He talks too much IMO. Same with Stan.

Unsold on Scott, but wouldn't be upset. That NO team didn't win because of the roster. And because CP3 isn't good enough to carry a team as #1.

Hollins has championship pedigree. As a player. +1.
Chillbongo

Postby Elle on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:15 pm

I wanted Phil, but that's not going to happen, so I went for Jerry Sloan.
Elle

Postby Elle on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:17 pm

*cough* George Karl with a "K", not a "C"
Elle

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:43 pm

My top 5 choices are:

#5. Byron Scott - He has a history with the team, he has some experience with winning basketball, and his coaching resume is decent.

#4. Nate McMillan - He is a coach that commands some respect. He has experience with winning basketball in the cut-throat western conference, and his overall resume is good.

#3. Lionel Hollins - His sample size is smaller than the other coaches on this list, but (aside from an anomalous 4 game coaching stint in '04-'05) his winning percentage has INCREASED (from .300 to .333 to .488 to .561 to .621 to .683 )with each new season. I'm not saying he'll win 57 or more games with the Lakers next season, but he has shown that he has a lot of promise as a head coach.

#2. Jeff Van Gundy - He is, simply put, a GREAT head coach. He makes the most out of the players he has. It's not his fault that Tracy McGrady's back, and Yao's foot, went south just as he was getting his feet under him in Houston, and his performance in NY was consistently excellent given only marginally above average talent on the roster...

Van Gundy won an average of 49.5 games in his 4 full 82 game seasons in NY and (aside from the injury riddled '05-'06 Rockets season, in which McGrady and Ming missed a combined 60 games due to injury) Jeff averaged 49.3 wins in Houston. Conclusion? If you want to win 49+ games with an average roster, which is a realistic projection of what LA will have over the next two seasons, he's your man.

With a career W/L% of .575, he tops out this list, well...except for

#1. George Karl – Simply put, George Karl is the gold standard for coaching excellence. If not for Michael Jordan, Shaq and Kobe, and his own team's failed Carmelo/Iverson experiment, he may also have championships on his resume as well. Not everyone can win rings, especially considering that they are largely (especially in the NBA) determined by the players that management is able to draft and sign more than the system that you run.

How great has Karl been? In 25 seasons, Karl has only been under .500 THREE times...all of which came in his first two coaching stints in Cleveland and Golden State. His career W/L% is .599, which means he'll get you 50 wins or more every year he is your coach. The Lakers may not be able to get Phil Jackson back on the bench, and they may not be champions again soon, but I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job than Karl with this current Laker situation.

Brian Shaw, a favorite name drop for people on this forum as a Phil replacement, is on pace to lose 20 more games this season than Karl did last season with an almost identical roster. Also, consider that Karl's specialty is a system that is up-tempo and also aggressive on the defensive end. He thrives with teams that are deeper than they are talented at the top. He also excels at developing young players, and crafting chemistry with limited rosters. Simply put, DO IT MITCH!!!
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:20 pm

What I like about George Karl is he's similar to Pop in some ways, he will adjust his system to fit his personnel instead of trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. When he had good defensive players he slowed the game down & won with defense, when he had a team full of athletes he ran.. & he managed to win both ways. He may be a better choice than Byron Scott but I think those 2 definitely have to be the top 2.
LakersN4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:38 pm

I would love it if JVG would be our next coach. George Karl on the other hand I am not a big fan of. I know he can coach, but I hate his personality and ever since he has worked for ESPN and some of the things he has said I continue to dislike some of the things hes about. It's not that I don't like him personally, I was deeply moved my some of the pieces NBATV did on his road to recovery from cancer. He has a real genuine side to him, but his coaching personality, NO THANK YOU
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby LakerJack on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Byron Scott would be perfect. D has to go.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
LakerJack

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:15 pm

That list is depressing, Sloan not being there while Scott as #1 (he doesn't commands respect either)...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Herm24 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 pm

It'll be George Karl .. Esp with Carolina connection with Mitch .. I like him as a coach personally. I think Kobe would respect him. Sloan would be good too, but I think he might too old at this point
Herm24

Postby Finwë on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:11 pm

What about both Van Gundy bros? Would that be an option?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:18 am

Finwë wrote:What about both Van Gundy bros? Would that be an option?

That was something some of suggested a while back. I'm not sure Jeff would give up his current job to be an assistant, and I'd rather he be the head coach anyway. I'm not sure it would work out though.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:29 am

Vasashi17 wrote:1) Demands his players' respect
2) Proven identity/team concept/Enforces MFing DEFENSE!!!!!!!
3) Not afraid to bust his players' @***
4) Responsible time management

I can get on board with this. This is pretty awesome. Exactly what we need. I would throw in:

5)Savvy with media
6)Promotes team bonding; builds a core group of guys who enjoy playing with each other (if not each other's company off the court as well)
7)Flexible with ideology - not in the way MDA is "flexible" with his roster lineups. More like when Phil allowed are 09/10 teams to run up and down the floor, leave the triangle and run fast breaks, etc.
Chillbongo

Postby Center Court on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:33 am

Personally, I think Byron Scott is a good coach though He got a raw deal in Cleveland. The one knock on him is that when he's had success (NO and NJ) he had the best PG in the NBA on his team. Kidd and CP3 make every coach look good.

Other than those 3-4 years of playoff success, he's had plenty of years of sub .500 ball. He also lost a playoff game by 58 points.

I love his connection to LA and his demeanor but as an actual NBA coach, he could be hit or miss. He's >>>> MDA but I wouldn't call him the perfect coach by any means.

Pop
Thibs
Carslisle
Rivers
Spo
Vogel

Those are IMO the top guys in the league.
Center Court

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:13 am

Sorry, Spoelstra does NOT belong on that list. He has an all star team, and honestly he has underachieved with the Heat. They should be 3 time defending champs, and they should have beaten the Bulls 72 win mark by now...He's an average coach with the best all around roster in the history of the game.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard