Who's the next Laker coach? (NEW POLL, VOTE FOR 2!)

Who gets your vote?

Jerry Sloan
10%
Stan Van Gundy
15%
Jeff Van Gundy
27%
George Carl
8%
Byron Scott
10%
Kurt Rambis
4%
Someone else
23%

Total votes : 163

Re: Who's the next Laker coach?

Postby khmrP on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Anybody would be an improvement over this bum . . . except Dunleavy. :man10:

I'll take Scott, Rambo, a Van Gundy, whoever. Thibs would be ultimate but he's under contract so I don't see that happening. Just get this buffoon out of here. Let Rambo take over as interim.

why does everyone seem to think Rambis will do a better job? dude sucked when he interim last time and he SUCKED in Minn.
khmrP

Postby John3:16 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:42 pm

khmrP wrote:why does everyone seem to think Rambis will do a better job? dude sucked when he interim last time and he SUCKED in Minn.

Agree. I don't want him as head coach. I'm fine with him as an assistant. He's an Xs and Os guy who likes to work with younger guys before and after practice. Like a lot of people, they are fantastic assistants, but make lousy head coaches. Rambis fits the bill.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:54 pm

Too bad it can't be like Thibs with PJ and Rambis as assistants.
The Laker Link

Postby Alcindor on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:05 am

They are not considering replacing Pringles. Jim Buss probably feels we were doing great when we had only a few injuries before being bombarded by multiple injuries to key players. I highly doubt there is a replacement forthcoming as it means buying out Pringles from his contract (after just having done that with Mike Brown) and JB admitting that he made a huge error.
Alcindor

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:24 am

Stan Van Gundy by far then Lionel Hollins...

JVG hasn't coached for a long time and his offensive schemes are too poor to win .
wcsoldier81

Postby OX1947 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:24 am

If Thibs becomes available, the Lakers HAVE to get him. Regardless.
OX1947

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:45 am

I have no idea because I see no game changers available at the moment. Karl is a small step up from 'Antoni, but that's not good enough. Scott people will get tired of quick as he seems to lose his players after a few seasons. Jeff Van Gundy, I can see people having some of the same issues with him as they did with Mike Brown. SVG can coach, but he also does seem to be the "master of panic" in the biggest moments. Rambis, was not a good interim coach for us, his Minny team was awful, and he's with us now and I don't see much impact.

We need a real impact guy, we need a Popovich, an Adelman, a Thibodeau, a ... ugh, Doc Rivers. These guys are not available, so I'm clueless as to what we do. Even guys IMO a rung below worth taking a shot on aren't available and won't be, like Vogel, Brooks, and Carlisle. If I HAD to chose though, I'd probably go with SVG, I think he's a better coach than 'Antoni, he's probably the best available, and for whatever reason I like the guy. Maybe it's that he seems to truly value defense and effort on that end, and that he isn't afraid to speak his mind even if it's unpopular.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:50 am

^^^No coach is perfect ( Thibs or Popovich sure aren't if you watch lots of games ... contrary to the popular belief) .

I absolutely think SVG is good enough to win a title with a talented roster .

PS : Brooks has no offensive system and he's poor at making adjustments ... OKC would be much better with a good coach
wcsoldier81

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:56 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:^^^No coach is perfect ( Thibs or Popovich sure aren't if you watch lots of games ... contrary to the popular belief) .

I absolutely think SVG is good enough to win a title with a talented roster .

PS : Brooks has no offensive system and he's poor at making adjustments ... OKC would be much better with a good coach

I agree, no coach is perfect, and I added more to my post since I forgot to say who I would go with if I had to. SVG would be my choice. And yeah, Brooks has his flaws, but I still have to give the guy some credit for having that team around the top of the West every season, even though of course most of the credit goes to KD and Westbrook for that
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:19 am

Yeah Brooks isn't " MDA/Brown/Woodson/Del Negro" terrible but I'm not a fan at all ... I really think OKC would be SCARY with a top 10 coach
wcsoldier81

Postby kenzo on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:31 am

Thibs will run the starters into the ground (even faster than MDA) :man9: . I would love to have both Van Gundy brothers :jam2:
kenzo

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:57 am

Me thinks whoever we get as coach will get the same MDA treatment sooner than later, as long as we don't have talent.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:59 am

khmrP wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:Anybody would be an improvement over this bum . . . except Dunleavy. :man10:

I'll take Scott, Rambo, a Van Gundy, whoever. Thibs would be ultimate but he's under contract so I don't see that happening. Just get this buffoon out of here. Let Rambo take over as interim.

why does everyone seem to think Rambis will do a better job? dude sucked when he interim last time and he SUCKED in Minn.

This is not a big push for Rambo necessarily, but more of a let's get this over with sentiment on my part. Get rid of D' Antoni - do you really think Rambo would be worse sitting in as interim? In what way? At least it would mean the end of the Mike Antoni era. We need to move on. And what's at risk this season any more? Are you worried that Rambo might get more wins than Mike no D? Well that is the only thing at stake now. I guess if that's the concern, sure, keep Antoni on to lose more games and ensure a better pick. Other than that how could he do worse, per se?

You said Rambis sucked as an interim coach last time (that was in like 1998-99 IIRC) . . . well, at least when he had Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell as well as Rodman he won 10 in a row. After Eddie and Elden were traded for Rice, yes they went down quite a bit. Rodman seemed to lose interest after that. But we did still make the playoffs at least.

I'm not advocating for Rambis to be our next coach, but I'll tell you, I would still prefer him over Mike Antoni.

Of course ideally you'd want Thibs or one of the Van Gundy's or that kind of ilk, but I just want Mike No D out of here.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:09 am

I've always been a fan of George Karl and thought he always maximized the talents on his teams. He took a talented Supersonics team to the Finals. I mean in another era, they might've gotten over the hump but this was the 72-10 Bulls he faced. Then he had some deep runs with the Nuggets. I just think he's the type of coach who commands the respect of his players and maximizes the talent on the team.

I also agree with people saying Rambis wouldn't make a good coach. Some are leaders, others are better as assistants.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby khmrP on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:20 am

Lakerjones wrote:
khmrP wrote:

This is not a big push for Rambo necessarily, but more of a let's get this over with sentiment on my part. Get rid of D' Antoni - do you really think Rambo would be worse sitting in as interim? In what way? At least it would mean the end of the Mike Antoni era. We need to move on. And what's at risk this season any more? Are you worried that Rambo might get more wins than Mike no D? Well that is the only thing at stake now. I guess if that's the concern, sure, keep Antoni on to lose more games and ensure a better pick. Other than that how could he do worse, per se?

You said Rambis sucked as an interim coach last time (that was in like 1998-99 IIRC) . . . well, at least when he had Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell as well as Rodman he won 10 in a row. After Eddie and Elden were traded for Rice, yes they went down quite a bit. Rodman seemed to lose interest after that. But we did still make the playoffs at least.

I'm not advocating for Rambis to be our next coach, but I'll tell you, I would still prefer him over Mike Antoni.

Of course ideally you'd want Thibs or one of the Van Gundy's or that kind of ilk, but I just want Mike No D out of here.

you're just gona make the organization look bad along with Rambis if this team gets even worse and yes they can be worse than they are now especially with Rambis as interim.
khmrP

Postby marcelo on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:26 am

Shaq.
marcelo

Postby LakerJack on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:36 pm

I think you are selling Scott short. He was coach of the year twice with two different teams, is an LA guy and was the next choice for the Clips if Doc didnt show up. Jimmy knows him already too.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
LakerJack

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:37 pm

marcelo wrote:Shaq.

:man10: That would be pure comedy. I wouldn't want this guy to coach a bunch of 10 year olds let alone NBA players.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Toklat on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:58 pm

I don't think MD is going anywhere but if he did I would want JVG. I liked his tough gritty defensive teams. Mitch will provide him more talent than he had with New York. I want to have a team with the possibility to win any game it plays. Tough defense will do that. With that said, I can't fault MD with this season. No team in the league could sustain such hits and win many games. We were playing around 500 when relatively healthy which would have been enough till Kobe got back and playing well. Nobody is going to fire him under these circumstances after just firing Brown last year.
Toklat

Postby revgen on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:09 pm

John3:16 wrote:
khmrP wrote:why does everyone seem to think Rambis will do a better job? dude sucked when he interim last time and he SUCKED in Minn.

Agree. I don't want him as head coach. I'm fine with him as an assistant. He's an Xs and Os guy who likes to work with younger guys before and after practice. Like a lot of people, they are fantastic assistants, but make lousy head coaches. Rambis fits the bill.

That's the whole point. We're most likely not making the playoffs this season.

If we're going to fire D'Antoni in the offseason, I'd rather we just fire him now and let Rambis help develop the kids. They need to develop better habits, especially on defense. D'Antoni isn't going to help with that.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:21 pm

revgen wrote:

If we're going to fire D'Antoni in the offseason, I'd rather we just fire him now and let Rambis help develop the kids. They need to develop better habits, especially on defense. D'Antoni isn't going to help with that.

^^ My thoughts as well. I don't see how Rambis makes the Lakers any worse than they are now? They suck right now!

I love how Rambis sucks as interim coach even though the last time he was in the position was 15 years ago when he had NO coaching experience at all. That's ridiculous. And he still got them to the playoffs.

You guys are nitpicking for what reason I just don't know. Anything that gets Mike Antoni out of here sooner than later is fine with me. Again, I'm not advocating Rambis as the next head coach. Just let him ride out the year and decide after that.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerJack on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:40 pm

D is perfect for what the Lakers need this season and that is losses to get a high lottery pick. Dump him when the season is over.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
LakerJack

Postby Johnnyboy on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Byron scott/jerry sloan/nate mcmillan/van gundy's/local high school coaches/njb coaches/one of us from clublakers>>>>>>>>>>>D'antoni
Johnnyboy

Postby khmrP on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:02 pm

revgen wrote:

isn't he the assistant for that purpose now? Does he have to be the HC to teach that? If I remember correctly Minn was one of the worse defensive team in the league too when he was there HC
khmrP

Postby revgen on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:25 pm

khmrP wrote:
revgen wrote:

isn't he the assistant for that purpose now? Does he have to be the HC to teach that? If I remember correctly Minn was one of the worse defensive team in the league too when he was there HC

Rambis doesn't determine what's taught during practice sessions. D'Antoni does. If D'Antoni wants 1 1/2 hours of a 2 hour practice to focus on free throw shooting, then that's what the practice will focus on.

Also, D'Antoni decides who is rewarded with minutes. Our rebounding is awful, yet D'Antoni keeps playing Jordan Hill 15 minutes a game even though he's our best rebounder.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard