Who's the next Laker coach? (NEW POLL, VOTE FOR 2!)

Who gets your vote?

Jerry Sloan
10%
Stan Van Gundy
15%
Jeff Van Gundy
27%
George Carl
8%
Byron Scott
10%
Kurt Rambis
4%
Someone else
23%

Total votes : 163

Re: Who's the next Laker coach? (NEW POLL, VOTE FOR 2!)

Postby halekulani on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:23 am

i thought d'antoni was being brought back on for next season?
halekulani

Postby Kingsama on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:37 am

halekulani wrote:i thought d'antoni was being brought back on for next season?

Thats the rumor, but its does not seem to be official yet. So think we are all hoping and praying its not.
Kingsama

Postby LakerJack on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Now its for real. Byron Scott era to begin.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
LakerJack

Postby Shadow on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Im hoping for Byron Scott or Rick Adelman if we can somehow lure him out of retirement.
Shadow

Postby karacha on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:34 pm

Once again: no to Byron Scott. Loved him as a player, but... no.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:42 pm

I'd take B. Scott. Love that guy. Met him once - he's as straight forward and tough as it gets. No nonsense. I have no problem with him as coach at all. He was Kobe's mentor when he came into the league, so he's someone Kobe will trust and respect. He will bring accountability on the defensive end. He won't accept anything but hard work out there. I'd welcome him all the way.

That said, if Thibodeau becomes available that's a no-brainer. Hollins I like a lot. Karl I'd be fine with. Vogel I'd be fine with. Really, just about anyone you can name I'd take as an upgrade over MDA. But now we really should take our time with this one and not simply do another knee jerk hire. Let the mistakes of the Brown and MDA hires be a lesson. Just absolutely no Mike Dunleavy!!!!! :mad1:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Aonex on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:43 pm

Does Pop have any good assistants? Is it too late to make a run at Steve Kerr? :man10:
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Immediate possible candidates via tweets here...

Adrian Wojnarowski: A candidate Lakers management and Kobe Bryant share a fondness: Euro legend Ettore Messina. He impressed as assistant under Mike Brown.

Marc J. Spears: ex-NBA coach Lionel Hollins has interest in the Lakers head coach opening, a source said. Hollins coached Memphis to West Finals last season

Marc J. Spears: Former NBA coach Stan Van Gundy is not expected to pursue the Lakers coach opening, a source said.

Ben Higgins: SOURCE: @SteveKerrTNT would be interested in speaking to the Lakers about their now vacant head coaching position.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 pm

I want either Hollins or a VanGundy from the NBA coaching ranks that don't have jobs. I'd want Tibs from the ranks of NBA coaches that do have a job. But honestly, I'd like to invest in a fresh new face from college. Someone with a great track record with winning in college and just never entered the NBA.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby rtsense on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm

After enduring these past 2 coaches, we've gotta get a coach that emphasizes both sides of the ball. It should also be a coach who isn't beholden to a certain style of play. I'd prefer someone young and not a retread, but with the past FO decisions I think we'll get a retread with obvious flaws.
rtsense

Postby John3:16 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:37 pm

Barnstable wrote:I want either Hollins or a VanGundy from the NBA coaching ranks that don't have jobs. I'd want Tibs from the ranks of NBA coaches that do have a job.

This. And I'll add the UCONN coach.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:06 pm

do not want kerr at all

he was a failure of a GM and has never coached before. i don't get why everyone is so high on him
432J

Postby OX1947 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 pm

John3:16 wrote:
Barnstable wrote:I want either Hollins or a VanGundy from the NBA coaching ranks that don't have jobs. I'd want Tibs from the ranks of NBA coaches that do have a job.

This. And I'll add the UCONN coach.

Kevin Ollie needs to be target number 1 in my book.
OX1947

Postby TIME on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:34 pm

432J wrote:do not want kerr at all

he was a failure of a GM and has never coached before. i don't get why everyone is so high on him

Maybe because he is a smart guy who knows the game, and apparently Phil respects him enough to want him to coach the Knicks.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Knowing the game is one thing. Having the tenacity to coach a team is another. Coaching is a grind. Kerr doesn't look like a guy who wants to grind it out day after day.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 pm

We need a coach who will help whoever we're drafting this year. We are not going to be a title contender the next 2 years. I dont care if its a championship coach, I just want someone who'll build up the confidence and all around skills of the next Lakers superstar from the draft.

Byron Scott is perfect for this role. He helped Chris Paul tremendously in New Orleans.

I don't think Byron is a championship coach but he will help tremendously with player development. I would give him a nice 3 year deal.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby OX1947 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:43 pm

I dont want a 3 year coach. I want a 10-15 year coach.
OX1947

Postby TIME on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:44 pm

revgen wrote:Knowing the game is one thing. Having the tenacity to coach a team is another. Coaching is a grind. Kerr doesn't look like a guy who wants to grind it out day after day.

I'm not suggesting we hire Kerr, but I'm not sure where you get the impression that Kerr is not tenacious or a grinder. His playing career was defined by those two qualities. He also observed the two best coaches of the last generation up close and personal while playing for Phil and Pop. We could do much worse.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:46 pm

OX1947 wrote:I dont want a 3 year coach. I want a 10-15 year coach.

Um only Pop can say that. The 2nd longest is Erik Spolestra I believe who inherited Bron Bron, Wade and Bosh and has been there since 08 after Riley failed.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby revgen on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:54 pm

TIME wrote:
revgen wrote:Knowing the game is one thing. Having the tenacity to coach a team is another. Coaching is a grind. Kerr doesn't look like a guy who wants to grind it out day after day.

I'm not suggesting we hire Kerr, but I'm not sure where you get the impression that Kerr is not tenacious or a grinder. His playing career was defined by those two qualities. He also observed the two best coaches of the last generation up close and personal while playing for Phil and Pop. We could do much worse.

Interesting. I saw Kerr more as a High IQ player who had the confidence to make clutch shots and wasn't afraid of the moment. Good guy to have on a team, but not a grinder.

A grinder is somebody like Derek Fisher. He could do the things Kerr could do but he also was willing put in the extra time in the gym, take charges, dive for loose balls, fight through screens, and wrestle for position. A coach is in charge of commanding 15 grown men for an 82 game season and the playoffs. You have to have the right personality for it.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby John3:16 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:01 pm

Derek Fisher would be a great choice.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:06 pm

In order of guys who have even the remotest of chances:

Thibs- unlikely as hell. It'd take something drastic in Chicago and I don't see that happening especially if they are getting Rose back and going to pursue Melo.

Rivers- Not impossible. Sterling may very well drag selling the team out and clearly Doc would want no part of that. Then again, he seems loyal to the guys.

Vogel- If Indiana loses the first round to Atlanta, I could see him getting fired. Not sure why they do it, but I could see it. I think he'd be a great fit here.

Kevin Ollie- seems to be on the fast track to super-stardom as a coach. He's said multiple times UCONN is his dream job though. Plenty of NBA experience and would be a huge asset in reeling in Durant.

After that, the list is a toss up.

Everyone takes about JVG, but he has Thibs and Clifford as his assistants.

Byron has a lot of ties to Laker greatness and culture, but has also lost every job he's had after success. Maybe he loses guys at some point. He may be the most logical choice that is available.

Never been crazy about SVG.

Hollins is a good coach I guess.

Karl- not a bad choice but he may have some of the MDA "can't win titles" in him.

Quinn Snyder- I guess he was once the golden boy of coaching but has fallen off. Would he be able to corral Kobe all year? Is he strong enough to survive in Laker land?
Center Court

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Don't want Kerr. Sorry. Good shooter and all. Just not a commanding presence in any kind of way. He's actually best suited for what he's already doing - commenting on the game.

To clarify, one of the most standout things I remember about Steve Kerr is him getting punched out by Michael Jordan. And he still reveres him. Kerr just has no gravitas in him whatsoever. I don't see him as a coach at all. This is going to sound incredibly mean, but I basically remember him as Michael Jordan's personal punching bag. I don't want that guy to be our coach.

If Michael Jordan had thrown a punch at Byron Scott, let's say, he would have had his rear end handed to him. Byron is one tough mutha. He's built like the proverbial brick you know what and he's from Morningside High - Inglewood. Dude is tough as nails.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:31 pm

I think Byron Scott has an inside track on the job for multiple reasons.. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out for sure.. Here's to hoping Atlanta wins 1 more game & Vogel is canned.. Would really love to have him as our coach over Scott/Hollins/Karl/Snyder/Ollie & all of the other rumored guys. If Doc becomes available he jumps right up the list but I still take Vogel.
LakersN4

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Scott has coached rookies well

CP3 - Rookie of the year
Kyrie - Rookie of the year
Kenyon- 2nd in Rookie of the year

Sure those guys would've been successful regardless but Buss needs to go with someone who has a track of developing rookies well instead of taking chances like he did in the last couple of hires and hoping for good results.

I wouldn't mind SVG either...he helped Wade and Dwight (not a rook) along quite nicely in their early years in the league.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard