Who's the next Laker coach? (NEW POLL, VOTE FOR 2!)

Who gets your vote?

Jerry Sloan
10%
Stan Van Gundy
15%
Jeff Van Gundy
27%
George Carl
8%
Byron Scott
10%
Kurt Rambis
4%
Someone else
23%

Total votes : 163

Re: Who's the next Laker coach? (NEW POLL, VOTE FOR 2!)

Postby LakersN4 on Thu May 01, 2014 8:36 am

Fish is a winner, a great motivator, a great leader, has many of the qualities you want in a coach.. But I feel strongly that he needs some time under a real Head Coach to learn a system before handing over the reigns.. He spent his entire career as a spot up shooter who played defense.. He was never in charge of running an offense, just a piece of the puzzle.. I'm not trying to discredit the man in any way.. But I see no way he comes in straight from playing & has a system that will work at the NBA level.. It's going to be a huge learning curve. It's different for other guys like Kidd or Scott who were basically coaches on the floor in their playing days.. I say we pick the HC that has the system & coaching style we/Fish want to adapt & let him serve as the lead assistant under them for a few years before taking over.

Edit.. Did I seriously just see Dunleavy on that list of candidates? I would have rather kept D'antoni.
LakersN4

Postby Lakerjones on Thu May 01, 2014 8:37 am

Doc Brown wrote:Why the f*** is Dunleavy always on every list? :man10:

Seriously, you can call him on your own time Mitch and say Hi and talk about life.

:bang: :bang: :bang: Where is the screaming emoticon? NOOOOOOOO Dunleavy!!! I've said it at least a dozen times here - the only way we could get worse than Brown and D' Antoni is to have the third Mike: Dunleavy. This weasel already bailed on us once. Let's please forget this guy exists.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 am

No Hollins on that list?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 am

Lakerjones wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Why the f*** is Dunleavy always on every list? :man10:

Seriously, you can call him on your own time Mitch and say Hi and talk about life.

:bang: :bang: :bang: Where is the screaming emoticon? NOOOOOOOO Dunleavy!!! I've said it at least a dozen times here - the only way we could get worse than Brown and D' Antoni is to have the third Mike: Dunleavy. This weasel already bailed on us once. Let's please forget this guy exists.

Be happy Vinny Del Negro isn't on the list
wcsoldier81

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 am

^^^ MMJ above…..welcome to Clublakers. But if Messina is all that, and I'm sure he is in Europe, when he was with the Lakers to do just that…..be a brilliant mind to develop our offense while the supposed genius Brown was taking care of the defense…… why the hell was our offense such a load of crap that year? I seem to recall a lot of giving the ball first thing across the 10 second line to Bynum or another big out past the free throw circle immediately eating about 5 seconds off the clock to have them give it back and get down low where they belonged . Where was all the great Euro ball movement I think many of us were looking forward to? Couldn't he even convince Potato to run some of it? Just asking because that was a total waste having him here.
LTLakerFan

Postby OX1947 on Thu May 01, 2014 8:52 am

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... ref=fromSI

It's times like this that make me love Kobe. Maybe with some news out there that the Lakers want Thibs, something can be done in Chicago to get him out of his contract. Do tampering rules apply to players saying stuff in the media, "unofficially"? Im crossing my fingers on this one. This would be huge.
OX1947

Postby Weezy on Thu May 01, 2014 9:09 am

No Dunleavy, no Karl, no Gentry, no Calipari, no Scott, and no to Rambis, sorry but he was part of this mess this season.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu May 01, 2014 9:21 am

Thibs is HUGE :pipe: smoked with Colorado tobacco :man1:. He's under contract, says he wants to stay and they say they want him to stay. Why do we keep saying "we want Thibs"? :what:
LTLakerFan

Postby LakersN4 on Thu May 01, 2014 9:23 am

Weezy wrote:No Dunleavy, no Karl, no Gentry, no Calipari, no Scott, and no to Rambis, sorry but he was part of this mess this season.

I think Rambis is gone to join Phil's coaching staff in NY anyway. I think Karl & Scott would be OK choices, not sure why so many are so strongly against them.
LakersN4

Postby Center Court on Thu May 01, 2014 9:25 am

LTLakerFan wrote:Why do we keep saying "we want Thibs"? :what:

Because we want him lol

He's not getting freed up. Rivers though, just might.
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Thu May 01, 2014 9:27 am

I think the inspired choice out of the list of guys available RIGHT NOW is Ollie.

The Lakers have a vague target on Durant's head in 2-3 years and he's Durant's guy. He's proven himself on most levels and recently showed Championship mettle. He's got a ton of connections to players and they all seem to really appreciate him as a person and respect him as a coach.

If there's a way to get him here, I'd pick him. It would take boat loads of cash I think, but I'd do it.

Ollie, Fisher, Rambis, and Gentry as my coaches for next year. Fisher has shown some indications that he might rather play another year and if so then I'd go with another inspired pick: Kareem. A player-development coach with some input on direction.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu May 01, 2014 9:28 am

OX1947 wrote:http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... ref=fromSI

It's times like this that make me love Kobe. Maybe with some news out there that the Lakers want Thibs, something can be done in Chicago to get him out of his contract. Do tampering rules apply to players saying stuff in the media, "unofficially"? Im crossing my fingers on this one. This would be huge.

Kobe wanted Phil too, we saw how that worked out.. I thought there was some chance Thibs could be out in Chi when they dumped Deng & a few other players Thibs liked. I think they might have even canned some of his staff.. But then he rallied the team to a great 2nd half of the season to get in the playoffs.. Now they're trying to create the cap space to get Melo & compete.. Just can't see them letting him go without a strong fight.. They know he's the main reason players want to play there. We can hope for Vogel or Doc Rivers to become available, but Thibs is absolutely pure pipe unless Chi dumps Noah/Gibson/Butler & tries to tank or something, which they won't.
LakersN4

Postby John3:16 on Thu May 01, 2014 9:31 am

John3:16 wrote:
Barnstable wrote:I want either Hollins or a VanGundy from the NBA coaching ranks that don't have jobs. I'd want Tibs from the ranks of NBA coaches that do have a job.

This. And I'll add the UCONN coach.

John3:16 wrote:Derek Fisher would be a great choice.

Please let it be one of my last 2 choices, who are both said to be in the running.

Anyone against Fisher is missing a HUGE component of managing a team. Stephen A Smith said this about a year ago and I still remember it because it's so true. A great coach needs to be "a man among men". Fisher embodies this. He's got the fire. He's got the presence. He's got the calmness. He's got the knowledge. He's got the respect. Ever heard Kobe say one negative thing about him? No. Because he has Kobe's undivided respect. Look what he did with the little amount of talent he had. 5 rings, most playoff games played, 2nd or 3rd in most 3s made in the playoffs / Finals, and made a career out of bailing out superstars with timely, clutch shots. I'm all in!
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Thu May 01, 2014 9:33 am

therealdeal wrote:I think the inspired choice out of the list of guys available RIGHT NOW is Ollie.

The Lakers have a vague target on Durant's head in 2-3 years and he's Durant's guy. He's proven himself on most levels and recently showed Championship mettle. He's got a ton of connections to players and they all seem to really appreciate him as a person and respect him as a coach.

If there's a way to get him here, I'd pick him. It would take boat loads of cash I think, but I'd do it.

Ollie, Fisher, Rambis, and Gentry as my coaches for next year. Fisher has shown some indications that he might rather play another year and if so then I'd go with another inspired pick: Kareem. A player-development coach with some input on direction.

I listened to Ollie on the radio a month ago, he is a great speaker and communicator. He has a lot of respect from guys like Lebron and Durant and he is LOVED in such a short amount of time at UCONN. Thats the kind of guy you want coaching an up and coming team with a potential franchise player in the draft coming.
OX1947

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu May 01, 2014 9:34 am

My list, in order (People who are currently NOT NBA coaches):

Jeff Van Gundy
Lionel Hollins
Kevin Ollie
Derek Fisher

If I see Dunleavy, B. Scott or Rambis patrolling our sidelines next season, I will lose ALL hope in this franchise.

We ain't getting Thibs. I think he is going to be one of the main selling points to lure Carmelo there. Thibs coaching a big three of Noah, Rose and Melo with solid role players sprinkled throughout the roster? Helluva sales pitch.
Savory Griddles

Postby Aonex on Thu May 01, 2014 9:34 am

If Derek wants to continue playing, he could just be a player-coach. :man1:
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu May 01, 2014 9:34 am

The Los Angeles Lakers plan a drawn-out and exhaustive search to replace coach Mike D'Antoni, but sources close to the process insist that they hope to "make a splash" with their eventual hire.

To that end, sources say, Lakers officials intend to reach out to two of the biggest names in the college game -- UConn's Kevin Ollie and Kentucky's John Calipari -- to at least gauge their interest in the job.

The Lakers' immediate aims, sources say, are to focus on the draft and free agency and "hold back (on the coaching front) until they get a better sense of the marketplace."

Another factor in their thinking, sources say, is leaving the coaching position open in the short term in case a potential free-agent target -- such as LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony -- tells team officials in July that he would consider coming to the Lakers if the coach of his choosing is hired.

The team is not expected to pursue Duke legend Mike Krzyzewski this time, after unsuccessfully trying to lobby Krzyzewski to leave Durham in the past, but sources say that L.A. is "intrigued" by both Ollie and Calipari.

Whether they can land a marquee name of that stature at this time -- given the state of the team after a dreadful 27-55 campaign filled with injuries and the possibility that a major roster overhaul won't take place until the summer of 2015 -- remains to be seen.

Mike D'Antoni is the only coach in Lakers history not to register a playoff win in his first two seasons with the team, and during his tenure he amassed the worst win percentage by any coach in franchise history (minimum 100 games).

Ollie's close relationship with Oklahoma City star Kevin Durant is well known around the league and bound to make the promising young coach of the newly minted college champions a target of any NBA team with aspirations of trying to steal Durant from the Thunder in free agency in 2016.

Sources say Derek Fisher, currently Durant's teammate in Oklahoma City and one of the most popular players in the Lakers' modern history after coming into the league alongside Kobe Bryant as a rookie in 1996-97, will also be considered if he's indeed interested in making the immediate jump to coaching. Fisher has maintained for months that this will be his final season as a player and is believed to prefer a front-office career to coaching, but his relationship with the Lakers is such that Fisher has to be considered a viable candidate for the bench.

To this point, sources say, Bryant has not made any coaching suggestions, but the Lakers are expected to consult the 35-year-old on the matter as he prepares to return from a 2013-14 season in which he was limited to just six games because of Achilles and knee issues. Bryant's two-year, $48.5 million extension kicks in next season.

The Lakers are likewise expected to look at the current NBA coaching ranks and consider a number of veterans and top assistants, so several more names are likely to surface as the search unfolds. D'Antoni resigned his post Wednesday night after reaching an impasse with the Lakers, who resisted his push for the team to pick up his 2015-16 option to allow him to coach with more authority next season.

In terms of other potential candidates, Lakers officials have long held ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy in high regard and, according to sources, plan to again interview former Lakers and Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy, who was considered for the job in the wake of Mike Brown's dismissal, when the Lakers ultimately opted for D'Antoni over Phil Jackson and Dunleavy.

It's believed that Byron Scott and Kurt Rambis, both former Lakers from the team's 1980s glory days, will be considered as well. Scott has been working as a studio analyst on Lakers broadcasts since his 2013 dismissal by the Cleveland Cavaliers; Rambis has already had one stint as the Lakers' head coach and is still under contract to the team for next season after serving as an assistant to D'Antoni last season.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... y-wildcats
lukewaltonsdad

Postby LakersN4 on Thu May 01, 2014 9:37 am

therealdeal wrote:I think the inspired choice out of the list of guys available RIGHT NOW is Ollie.

I respect your opinions on most things TRD, but this Ollie stuff is complete nonsense to me.. Bringing him in as an assistant under a proven head coach to get more comfortable with coaching at this level, sure.. But outside of the Durant recruitment, I don't see anything that makes him a better candidate than the proven guys out there like Scott, Karl, or Hollins.. Much rather hire a guy we know can coach at the NBA level & take the gamble on Ollie in 2 seasons when we know if Durant is an actual possibility.. Offer to go after Ollie as part of our pitch to Durant.. But don't hand the franchise to him for 2 seasons on the off chance he might help us recruit KD.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Thu May 01, 2014 9:43 am

LakersN4 wrote:

I respect your opinions on most things TRD, but this Ollie stuff is complete nonsense to me.. Bringing him in as an assistant under a proven head coach to get more comfortable with coaching at this level, sure.. But outside of the Durant recruitment, I don't see anything that makes him a better candidate than the proven guys out there like Scott, Karl, or Hollins.. Much rather hire a guy we know can coach at the NBA level & take the gamble on Ollie in 2 seasons when we know if Durant is an actual possibility.. Offer to go after Ollie as part of our pitch to Durant.. But don't hand the franchise to him for 2 seasons on the off chance he might help us recruit KD.

I don't see any reason to hire Scott or Karl honestly. We're in the middle of a rebuild and those coaches are just rehashes. They're not splashes, they're not inspired, and they're not going to make a massive difference in the way this team is perceived. This isn't the time to make a "solid" choice. It's the time to research and find the next Mark Jackson. To find the next Scott Brooks. To find the next Frank Vogel. To find the next Eric Spoelstra. It's time for the Lakers to join that fray.

Scott, Hollins, and Karl are all okay choices. But since when do we want okay?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu May 01, 2014 9:50 am

LakersN4 wrote:
Weezy wrote:No Dunleavy, no Karl, no Gentry, no Calipari, no Scott, and no to Rambis, sorry but he was part of this mess this season.

I think Rambis is gone to join Phil's coaching staff in NY anyway. I think Karl & Scott would be OK choices, not sure why so many are so strongly against them.

Who wants "OK"? We need good, great, or inspired. Don't want Karl because IMO he's no better than 'Antoni really, and I'll be honest, he's been a Laker hater forever. Don't want Scott because he wears on his teams and his players turn on him. I think he's a good coach, he went to 2 Finals, but I don't think he's the coach we need. You seem to be fine with "OK", with settling for a known name just because, I'm not. Hell, you were fine with keeping 'Antoni, so most likely aren't going to agree on coaching choices.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Thu May 01, 2014 9:50 am

Ollie is the guy. Everyone needs to start somewhere. He has proven at every position he is ready. Durant credits him for his development when he was an assistant there. He won an NCAA title with ok talent. If you listen to him speak, trust me, you will leave thinking this man is a great communicator. Lebron respects him a lot. Ollie is the way to go. No re-treads. No coaches who have baggage. Lakers need fresh and clean and some success. Ollie has that.
OX1947

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu May 01, 2014 9:53 am

i want Lionel Hollins...no thanks to college coaches
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Doc Brown on Thu May 01, 2014 9:54 am

Flea ‏@flea333 12h
dear @lakers kevin ollie is a visionary choice now like pat riley was a visionary choice in 1981
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

I'm with Flea.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 am

I think the two great choices would be Fisher and Ollie.

I'd also be happy to get Vogel or Brooks if they're fired.

I'd be okay with Scott I guess.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Thu May 01, 2014 9:57 am

My top 2 choices would be Fish & Ollie. Glad to hear that they will at least talk to both.

I'm convinced that gravitas is the single most important quality in an NBA head coach in this generation. Phil has it, Pop has it, Carlisle has it. Spo doesn't need it because he was given an overflow of talent. Fish and Ollie have it more than anyone else I see out there.

Also, I'm all in on the Durant pipe in a couple of years and those two give us some appeal with KD.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard