2011 free agents to keep in mind?

2011 free agents to keep in mind?

Postby The Laker Link on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:05 am

Was looking at a hoops world article that showed free agents for next year, a few I think that looked interesting-and I know it's early but still-was Sam Dalembert, Tayshaun Prince, and Pau's Bro. Marc-who we had once.

Who's with me on this?
The Laker Link

Re: 2011 free agents to keep in mind?

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:41 pm

The Laker Link wrote:Was looking at a hoops world article that showed free agents for next year, a few I think that looked interesting-and I know it's early but still-was Sam Dalembert, Tayshaun Prince, and Pau's Bro. Marc-who we had once.

Who's with me on this?

Marc will command big money but he's also a RFA and Memphis will most likely do everything they can to retain him. Tayshaun I've always felt has been one of the more underrated players in the league but his recent injuries are a big question mark. Dalembert will likely command big bucks as well as teams look to bolster their frontcourts in a league short on bigs.

I should add that even though he's getting up there in age, because he doesn't have a lot of mileage on his legs, I'd completely be in favor of the Lakers going after Grant Hill with a one year deal to come off the bench.
Last edited by bruddahmanmatt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby inkobewetrust on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Melo. :man1:
inkobewetrust

Postby Phil XI on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:04 pm

too soon?
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:06 pm

Phil XI wrote:too soon?

That''s why I leave it open as an Idea. I don't think it is something that SHOULD happen, I am just saying as far as big names and people that have the chance and what not.......

So, yes, but I am not trying to make this a thing for next year, just a way to talk and what not.
The Laker Link

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:09 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
The Laker Link wrote:Was looking at a hoops world article that showed free agents for next year, a few I think that looked interesting-and I know it's early but still-was Sam Dalembert, Tayshaun Prince, and Pau's Bro. Marc-who we had once.

Who's with me on this?

Marc will command big money but he's also a RFA and Memphis will most likely do everything they can to retain him. Tayshaun I've always felt has been one of the more underrated players in the league but his recent injuries are a big question mark. Dalembert will likely command big bucks as well as teams look to bolster their frontcourts in a league short on bigs.

I should add that even though he's getting up there in age, because he doesn't have a lot of mileage on his legs, I'd completely be in favor of the Lakers going after Grant Hill with a one year deal to come off the bench.

MLE and LLE are helpful.

3 years and 1/2 and 2 years and half or go for one of the other of Marc or Sam.

Grant, if he will take an LLE......I can deal with it.
The Laker Link

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:31 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:

Who's with me on this?

Lakers aren't going to get Marc Gasol... They're not getting Dalmebert unless they get rid of Bynum and that's a pretty bad trade. They're not going to get any wing men as long as they've got Ebanks, Walton, Barnes, and Artest at that spot (even though I love what Tayshaun does and I like Grant Hill).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:06 am

The Laker Link wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:

Who's with me on this?

MLE and LLE are helpful.

3 years and 1/2 and 2 years and half or go for one of the other of Marc or Sam.

Grant, if he will take an LLE......I can deal with it.

I don't see how the MLE and the BAE will be very helpful in obtaining the guys you've suggested. You're not signing Marc Gasol with an exception that's for damn sure. In fact given the shortage of quality bigs in the league and the fact that Marc Gasol is well on his way to becoming one of the top centers in the NBA, I'd be willing to bet that he gets a max contract offer from several teams which Memphis will almost certainly match.

Dalembert will get decently sized offers as well. If Camby could command that fat extension Portland gave him last year at his age, someone will pay something similar for Dalembert. The only way I see him taking MLE money is if a team that can offer him a shot at a ring and a decently sized role like Miami goes after him. I doubt he takes that big of a pay cut unless he's guaranteed some decent PT, otherwise he'll be worth twice the MLE to teams in need of a big who can board and block shots. Dalembert also has one more thing on his side that a lot of bigs don't have, his health. That makes him very susceptible to bigger offers. The guy has played in all 82 games over the past four seasons and he's started in all but two of them during that span. Quite an achievement these days as far as bigs are concerned.

Tayshaun is one guy who I could see going for MLE type money depending on his health. Honestly though, assuming that Barnes and Ebanks both pan out, LA won't have much of a need for Prince. Spending their MLE on him would be wasted money since he'd get lost on the bench amidst the glut of much more affordable swingmen already on our roster. It would be worth keeping him in mind however if Barnes or Ebanks do not pan out, although another MLE contract for a guy with a spotty health record as of late seems pretty risky if you're Jerry Buss, which is why I'd prefer they look into Grant Hill who would probably be willing to come over for much cheaper (BAE type money) if LA had room for him on their roster.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby MJ32-notMJ23 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:53 am

If Tayshaun can stay healthy, I don't see why not. He's a very able player. I'd rather have Dalembert but financially he might be an impossible deal to make.
A legendary day (81 points) - Jan. 22, 2006 vs. Raptors.
And at the end of 3 quarters, the Mavs - 61, Kobe Bryant - 62 - Dec. 20, 2005

If Lakers was a religion....
Kobe is our Messiah
Magic Johnson is our God
Mikan is our Prophet
Phil Jackson is our Pope
and 16 Championships is our Promised Land
MJ32-notMJ23

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:28 pm

^if there is a way to re-sign some guys without using the MLE or if we get more cash by trading Walton for nothin basically and then Ratliff and Smith retire, then I agree with you man and I think it would be simple in that you give 2/3rds the MLE to Prince and the rest to Dalembert and call it good.

back-up center and everything.

Who knows though.

Luckily Mitch actually discovered a brain a while ago after the mid-decade rough years of FA summers and I bet he can get us a good team for next year.
The Laker Link

Postby TT24 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:16 pm

^ Who would take Luke 2 and half years left on his contract? He is owed nearly $12 million in his last 2 years. Who's taking that salary for a guy like Luke?
TT24

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas