Allen Iverson?

Allen Iverson?

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:57 pm

Look i know its a stretch, but nobody has picked this guy up yet, and I was thinking Kobe doesnt exactly have a back up at his position....you think we should take a look at AI for the vets min?
FabFourLakers

Re: Allen Iverson?

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:01 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:Look i know its a stretch, but nobody has picked this guy up yet, and I was thinking Kobe doesnt exactly have a back up at his position....you think we should take a look at AI for the vets min?

No. He needs a lot of shots to get his points, is a coach and team killer, thinks he's still in his prime and should be a starter, and at one time was a good defender but not so much now. Plus, he thinks he's worth more than he actually is. There is a reason why he isn't signed ...

Let him go to Miami!
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Honestly I wouldn't mind it.. I wouldn't even mind making him our starting PG & letting him get the backup minutes at SG (which is what it would take to get him here since he refuses to come off the bench).. I'm sure alot of people will disagree.. but if they let Phil & Kobe sit down with him & make sure he understands what his role is going to be(keep the ball moving, hit open 3's, stay within 10-15 ppg), & he's on board with that.. Why not? What do we have to lose? if he gets out of line & starts chucking, causing chemistry problems, or complaining we send him home for the season & we're still the favorites to win the title.. Very low risk/high reward scenario
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:09 pm

How many times has this been brought up in this place already?

No.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Crispy on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:10 pm

He'd kill chemistry, but there's no denying his talent. I honestly don't know if I would sign him or not.
Crispy

Postby L4KRFN24 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:32 pm

No thanks AI is done
"Its official now you know, its been official now for a long time but now its super official purple and gold" Ron Artest
L4KRFN24

Postby LeX Da KiD on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:35 pm

NO NO NO NO................. HELL NO!!
LeX Da KiD

Postby GNC on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:37 pm

he is a volume shooter.
GNC

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:39 pm

A ball dominant team cancer who doesn't want to come off the bench and wouldn't accept being a role player.

No thanks.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby kostas_hellas_13 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:20 am

He will be our starting PG and the back-up at SG.

Great idea to sign Allen Iverson!
kostas_hellas_13

Postby BadCoaching on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:04 am

Indeed
BadCoaching

Postby nameant on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:14 am

Never.
nameant

Postby The Black Mamba on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:59 am

FabFourLakers wrote:Look i know its a stretch, but nobody has picked this guy up yet, and I was thinking Kobe doesnt exactly have a back up at his position....you think we should take a look at AI for the vets min?

1. Would A.I. be receptive to signing for the vet. min?
2. He would most likely have to defer his game considerably...do you think he'd be willing to do that?
3. Look at the condition of the teams he left before going elsewhere. (Philly, Denver, & Detroit)..
4. What will team chemistry be like with both A.I. and Artest?
5. Do you start A.I. or bring him off the bench?
6. What do you do if A.I. starts acting up?

I love A.I., but there's alot of questions that need to be answered. I think if he was on this team, we would absolutely OWN the league.
"That's what I'm talkin' about. You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. You don't come into the OB playing that stuff....You can't come over to our place talking noise like that. You'll get your butt beat. I was about to go down the elevator to get in that thing....."

-Lamar Thomas, former NFL color commentator
The Black Mamba

Postby BadCoaching on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:13 am

I think he'd stfu and play ball with someone like Kobe with 4 rings and Phil with 10 telling him what to do. I'd personally like to see it happen. He's still so quick it would change everything in their back court and defensively with his heart behind it he can defend still I bet. He can drop to SG when needed and still dominate, always could no question there. No it's not as efficient or as good as Kobe and he never was people need to look passed that aging rivalry. Stupid and stubborn aside he's still very good and someone to consider in my opinion.
BadCoaching

Postby rock0100 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:50 am

LakersN4 wrote:Honestly I wouldn't mind it.. I wouldn't even mind making him our starting PG & letting him get the backup minutes at SG (which is what it would take to get him here since he refuses to come off the bench).. I'm sure alot of people will disagree.. but if they let Phil & Kobe sit down with him & make sure he understands what his role is going to be(keep the ball moving, hit open 3's, stay within 10-15 ppg), & he's on board with that.. Why not? What do we have to lose? if he gets out of line & starts chucking, causing chemistry problems, or complaining we send him home for the season & we're still the favorites to win the title.. Very low risk/high reward scenario

I agree. For the vet minimum you can't go wrong. If he isn't working well with the team then you cut him loose.
rock0100

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:38 am

As I mentioned in some other thread where this was brought up, I love AI. I love watching him play. The guy is like a superhuman basketball player. He's what, five foot ten in reality, and 160 pounds. The things this has guy has done in the league are RIDICULOUS. To be his size and frame and to be such an incredible scorer over his career is beyond belief really.

But no way I think he should come to this Laker team. Maybe a Del Harris team or a Rambis coached team or something back in the old days alongside Shaq. But no chance in hell he would thrive in the triangle. That's pretty much anathema to such a ball dominant player. A system that's built on giving up the ball? No chance. AI would never be down for that and frankly neither would we be down to try to make him fit here. It's a lose/lose proposition. Take away a guy's whole way of playing? It doesn't make sense.

I do love AI though. It would have been pretty cool to see him alongside Shaq and Kobe in the P and G back in the '90s though!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:57 pm

In summary: I think he'd make GP look like the greatest triangle fit of all time. And that takes some doing.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby koolkobe on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:35 pm

i would do it for the minimum

why not

if sasha and luke cand get the mle
i'd be crazy to not give AI the minimun
koolkobe

Postby lakurluv on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:06 pm

I'd do for the minimum off the bench to save Kobe, for the playoffs and use him as the backup 2 guard. He would be fine, because we have to many vets and established coach with a good system in place. All he would have to do is come in and get fitted for his ring...
lakurluv

Postby LAKEROC on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:22 pm

He has to accept coming off the bench like Lamar has done. He has to humble himself in that regard. He has to be willing to take veterans minimum. If the coaches got him together, and he agreed with all of that, and to be a team player. I guess I'd do it. If he's a basketcase or a cancer, buy him out, and cut the loses. However, the upside here could be ok.
LAKEROC

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:26 pm

He's definitely burned bridges and the league has alienated him. If he pissed Dumars off which he obviously probably did... he's put himself in a corner. Dumars is respected and basically in the bball royalty across the league you can't cross someone like that. I think most places are just plan done with Iverson and dismissed the possibly of putting up with his no practice abilities.

Sad though he's good insurance for this cheap price.. he can PG/SG and take over 1st option offense role without a blink. What a waste of talent.
BadCoaching

Postby Alleyhoops on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:35 pm

I embrace having a couple high profile vets that have been denied a ring and are given what seems like a last opportunity to win one. There's an element of fire and passion they can bring. I have no doubt Iverson would play with a ton of heart and desire. Whether he can fit in is another story, but I'd certainly welcome him as a member of this squad. No doubt it'd be interesting as hell.
Alleyhoops

Postby d.carter4kobe on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:03 am

Alleyhoops wrote:I embrace having a couple high profile vets that have been denied a ring and are given what seems like a last opportunity to win one. There's an element of fire and passion they can bring. I have no doubt Iverson would play with a ton of heart and desire. Whether he can fit in is another story, but I'd certainly welcome him as a member of this squad. No doubt it'd be interesting as hell.

Its well worth the risk for 800k also
d.carter4kobe

Postby Lakerfan1286 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:20 pm

I would like 2 bring him in on a few conditions (What he would sign for would go without saying in this case...

1. Most importantly he realizes that he will be a bench player and makes a legit effort to fit in. If the Lakers picked him up to takes Sasha's minutes and he didn't mind doing so there would be no team in the league that could cope with the firepower brought upon them night in night out by the Lakers.

2. He learns to play some minutes at PG and tries to fit in as a creator instead of constantly lookin for his own whenever the ball comes his way. Fisher, at this point in his career would be a phenomenal back up PG used 4 veteran leadership and clutch shooting if AI would check his ego at the door.

3. He brings back the braids. He looked kinda funny with the fade last season so please just go back to what worked 4 so long.
Lakerfan1286

Postby eNlight on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:26 am

d.carter4kobe wrote:
Alleyhoops wrote:I embrace having a couple high profile vets that have been denied a ring and are given what seems like a last opportunity to win one. There's an element of fire and passion they can bring. I have no doubt Iverson would play with a ton of heart and desire. Whether he can fit in is another story, but I'd certainly welcome him as a member of this squad. No doubt it'd be interesting as hell.

Its well worth the risk for 800k also

he's not 800k , he will cost around 2 million and an additional luxury tax dollar for dollar.
eNlight

Next

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas