Another JO trade scenario

Re: Another JO trade scenario

Postby The Clap on Thu May 03, 2007 11:26 pm

Bad deal for Indy.

The Pacers give up the best player in the deal and lose their pick? Which considering they're on the verge of rebuilding, is a big time no-no.

As for Tinsley, he's got a lot of good and a lot of bad. The good is, if you surround him with scorers, he's a Steve Nash-like playmaker. Easily a top-5 playmaker/passer in the entire league and on a team like the Lakers could average double-figures assists. The bad news is, he can't shoot yet seems to think he can. Of course, Indy has been beat up and deteriorated the past few seasons, so a lot of that has been out of necessity and not choice. But regardless, he'd be a huge upgrade over any point guard the Lakers currently have. And for those saying Tinsley's contract is horrible, it's a little above MLE. For a starting point guard, thats not too bad. Mike Bibby, who had an inferior 2006-2007 season to Tinsley, is making twice that ($12M per).

The fairest deal available....

Jermaine O'Neal
Jamaal Tinsley
Ike Diogu (future 15-20 per game scorer)

Lamar Odom
Andrew Bynum
Kwame Brown

Tinsley/Kobe/Walton/Ike/JO <---much more formidable than the current Lakers

Tinsley > Smush
JO > Lamar
Ike > Kwame

Kobe will still be Kobe and Luke will continue to improve.

Tinsley will get you 12/9/5
Kobe 30/5/5
Walton 12/4/4
Ike 14/8 boards
JO 20/10/3 blocks

That team wins 50-55 games.
The Clap

Postby kobe>lbj on Fri May 04, 2007 4:42 am

FutureLakerGM wrote:It was mentioned on ESPN, that one of JO's teammate believes that the four-time All-Star hopes to end up in Los Angeles next season alongside Kobe Bryant, his fellow preps-to-pros groundbreaker from the draft class of 1996. O'Neal and Bryant are said to be still fairly close after coming into the league together.

Reference here
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime ... -070414-15

So if the Garnett thing isn't going to happen, why not JO?

Scenario
Lamar $ 13,524,000
Kawame $ 9,075,000
Brian Cook $3,500,000
1st Round Pick

for

Jermaine $ 19,710,000
Jeff Foster $ 5,700,000
1st Round Pick

Benfits:

Lakers; Gets a establish big men in JO, a decent backup for Bynum in Jeff Foster (who's contract expires after the 08 season, I had to put him in the trade to make it work) and we swap 1st round picks, moving a couple spots up.

Indiana: They trade away a disgruntaled star and return gets LO, who will probley be a all-star forward in the east (no way it's going to happen out here in the west) and he will be the number one option, which he has shown signs of (early in the season when kobe missed a couple games he was avg. 30 points). Kwame who's a decent defensive prescence and contract will expire after the 08 season (freeing up a little cap space, if they chose to not re-sign him). Cook ( just because I had to put him in to make the trade work and I don't like him).

And no I didn't want to trade for Jamaal Tinsley, he's locked untill 2011 season, though it will also work with Jamaal instead of Foster

I think this is more realistic than any Garnett scenario. Flame away :mad1:

Wouldnt work. If they were to give up JO that means they are willing to rebuild. In doing so, they would ask for Bynum. Not to mention swapping picks would not make sense for them if they have the higher one. I'm pretty sure that any deal with Indiana would have to include Tinsley as well.
kobe>lbj

Postby Blkhorse on Sun May 06, 2007 9:07 pm

what about if we offer kwame, vlad, maurice, 07 1st pick for JO and fillers??
Blkhorse

Postby Ed Guru on Mon May 07, 2007 1:46 am

Is this really better than Odom?

I'd trade anyone on this team for JO except LO or KB, but we should ONLY trade LO for a true top player not a nearly top player. For KG hell yeah, for JO no.

PS If you combine JO and LO would you get J-LO?
..with the sharpness..
Ed Guru

Postby lakurluv on Mon May 07, 2007 8:11 am

Couldn't we just trade:

Vlad Rad
Sasha
B Cook &
Kwame

For Jermaine ONeal,

and then possibly look to free agency to fill some of our other voids?
It worked on the "ESPN Trade Machine"

If I'm not mistaken as of now, don't we only have 10 players under contract due to the expiring K's?
We could resign Luke, and the roster would look like this...

Kobe,Bynum, Evans, Farmar, Odom, Turiaf, Luke, and ONeal.
Since were going to be over cap, we would still have the MLE, and look to add a Guard and some other spots to close out the roster.

I'm new at this, but tell me if you think this would work for JO or not?

There's going to be some good potential in the FA Market this summer.
Some Guys with heart, and some skills to boot...
lakurluv

Postby FutureLakerGM on Mon May 07, 2007 12:25 pm

lakurluv wrote:Couldn't we just trade:

Vlad Rad
Sasha
B Cook &
Kwame

For Jermaine ONeal,

and then possibly look to free agency to fill some of our other voids?
It worked on the "ESPN Trade Machine"

If I'm not mistaken as of now, don't we only have 10 players under contract due to the expiring K's?
We could resign Luke, and the roster would look like this...

Kobe,Bynum, Evans, Farmar, Odom, Turiaf, Luke, and ONeal.
Since were going to be over cap, we would still have the MLE, and look to add a Guard and some other spots to close out the roster.

I'm new at this, but tell me if you think this would work for JO or not?

There's going to be some good potential in the FA Market this summer.
Some Guys with heart, and some skills to boot...

in a perfect world that would work, but Indiana would never take that, 2 bad contracts (vlad and cook) and their history speaks for themselves.

A KB.LO.JO would be sick, but Indiana won't take any trade package that dosen't include either Lamar or Andrew, We might be able to pull something off without Lamar being included, something like Andrew, Kwame, 1st + fillers to make salary work

KG or LO or bust (i don't want Pau)
FutureLakerGM

Postby lakurluv on Mon May 07, 2007 1:12 pm

Thanks for the insight...

I know it's a little far fethched, but we can only dream right.

In looking at that trade possibility, it does show that we have something to work with. I did the trade an included Granger as well, and even that worked.

A lot of people are saying that we don't have anything to work with, and I would think that as history has proven itself that if a NBA Star really wanted to be on a certain team, he could get there...

Thanks again FutureLakerGM.
lakurluv

Postby FlyWhiteGuyE on Mon May 07, 2007 1:26 pm

Do you guys really think that any team out there wants to trade their top player to Lakers for a load of crap? I don't think so. It didn't happen at the trade dead line and I don't really see it happening during this off-season.

It sounds like McHale doesn't want to trade Garnette to the Lakers to begin with, let alone for crap. The Lakers might be able to change his mind if they're willing to part with Odom and/or Bynum, give or take some filler.

Rumor has it now that O'Neal has voiced that he wants to be traded to his old Pacer's coach/friend, I. Thomas' Knicks. If the Pacers do decide to trade O'Neal to the Lakers, they aren't going to want to trade trade him for crap either.

You have to be crazy or clueless if you think Billups would consider coming to the Lakers. If he's looking for championships, the Pistons are going to be a good team to stick with for years because of the weak East. If he's looking for money, the Lakers don't have it right now and he'd easily go for a team more like Orlando, with their deep pockets and bright future. The Lakers need more help in the front court anyhow.

I haven't heard anything lately about what Gasol's interested in doing, but if Memphis gets Oden or Durant, they would probably be less interested in acquiring Bynum and we could swap him for Odom and Kwame's expiring contract, give or take some filler. We could then hire a decent veteran with the MLE and still have Bynum for the future or you could try trading him for Kidd again. I wouldn't be suprised if Gasol is still interested in being traded to the Bulls though.

I do like FutureLakerGM's idea though. If you could have KG/JO/PG, KB and LO all together, that would be great, especially if they could pick up a decent veteran with the MLE (could they get Camby with that, or Andre Miller...?).
FlyWhiteGuyE

Postby oprahjimfrey on Mon May 07, 2007 9:04 pm

JO is definitely upset with the situation in Indiana. And the Pacers would much rather trade him to a westcoast team than an eastcoast team, so there is a decent chance we could get him. Cupcake just better make a move this summer.
oprahjimfrey

Postby Kobe_81 on Tue May 08, 2007 2:51 pm

Lakers trade:
Kwame
Bynum
Radmonovic

Indiana sends us:
Jermaine O'neal
Danny Granger

Mitch should first try to give Indiana just Kwame and Rad, but Indiana is sure to demand Bynum be in the tade, so we demand Granger.

The Lakers will need to resign Mihm (taking a chance there) since both Kwame and Bynum would be traded.
Kobe_81

Postby FutureLakerGM on Wed May 09, 2007 11:49 am

Kobe_81 wrote:Lakers trade:
Kwame
Bynum
Radmonovic

Indiana sends us:
Jermaine O'neal
Danny Granger

Mitch should first try to give Indiana just Kwame and Rad, but Indiana is sure to demand Bynum be in the tade, so we demand Granger.

The Lakers will need to resign Mihm (taking a chance there) since both Kwame and Bynum would be traded.

Won't work, salaries won't match. We would need to include Lamar and his 12 mil and fillers, JO makes nearly 20 Mil + they are going to want us to take on another bad contract, probley Tinsley (will start at pg?) at 5 mil so we need to offer about 25 mil in total salary
FutureLakerGM

Previous

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas