"Athletic Wing" Rodney Carney/Gerald Green

"Athletic Wing" Rodney Carney/Gerald Green

Postby lakurluv on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:08 am

I think we need to sign one more Athletic WIng player from the free agent pool, either Rodney Carney Carney, or Gerald Green. Even though these guys have yet to really do anything special on the NBA level. They are still great athletes with a ton of potential. I believe that our system would help to slow down and hone their skillsets to make either a better player (ie. Trevor Ariza/Shannon Brown). Since we could get either one of them for dirt cheap, I say we pull the trigger.

With LO back in the fold it would only help to fortify our bench, plus we need some more young blood on the squad to maintain youth and explosiveness. With Trevor gone, the only one who might really give us a few highlight reels next season would be Shannon.

I say we release Sun Yue, and even though Mith only wants to hold 13 players, sign one of these guys or any player similar like Dorell Wright. A good mix of youth, athleticism and a vew good vets make for a long lasting dynasty...
lakurluv

Re: "Athletic Wing" Rodney Carney/Gerald Green

Postby AztecaEmperor on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:02 am

It would be great if we could sign Carney, he would be an upgrade from sasha unless he shoots lights out this season. I wouldn't mind having both Carney and Sheldon Williams. We ar very thin at SG and could use another back up SG. There is no point in bringing in a rookie since PJ really doesn't play them and getting young experienced players is good because they all can contribute. By signing Carney, it would also put some pressure on Sasha to performe. He really disspointed me last season, I feel we should have kept Turiaf instead of Sasha.
AztecaEmperor

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:25 pm

Being a Memphis Tigers fan, I've followed Carney since college. I'm a big fan of his, but I think he's been victim of landing on some teams with a lot of wing depth and without teaching coaching staff.

I think under the right system he could really thrive at both SG and SF. He has all the tools and has already shown the ability to play some good D, I'd love for Mitch to snatch him up.

I read somewhere the Wolves were interested in signing him again, though.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Larry14r on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:38 pm

AztecaEmperor wrote:It would be great if we could sign Carney, he would be an upgrade from sasha unless he shoots lights out this season. I wouldn't mind having both Carney and Sheldon Williams. We ar very thin at SG and could use another back up SG. There is no point in bringing in a rookie since PJ really doesn't play them and getting young experienced players is good because they all can contribute. By signing Carney, it would also put some pressure on Sasha to performe. He really disspointed me last season, I feel we should have kept Turiaf instead of Sasha.

Expect Turiaf will get no minutes here because Bynum, Odom, and Gasol will take all the minutes up, and he sucked in the playoffs in 08 as well. Also I did not like the fact he picked money over championship.
Larry14r

Postby AztecaEmperor on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:49 pm

Larry14r wrote:
Expect Turiaf will get no minutes here because Bynum, Odom, and Gasol will take all the minutes up, and he sucked in the playoffs in 08 as well. Also I did not like the fact he picked money over championship.

Even thought Turiaf would have getton less minutes, he still would have been an defensive presence with his blocking ability, instead we have Sasha throwing up BRICKS and playing crappy defense. Thanks :mad1: .
AztecaEmperor

Postby Larry14r on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:49 pm

AztecaEmperor wrote:
Larry14r wrote:

Even thought Turiaf would have getton less minutes, he still would have been an defensive presence with his blocking ability, instead we have Sasha throwing up BRICKS and playing crappy defense. Thanks :mad1: .

Well we thin at guard at the time and we all know Sasha will get more minutes than Turiaf. Also if Artest had opted out last year then both Sasha and Truiaf would have both been gone.
Larry14r

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm been screaming for weeks that we need to sign a young, athletic wing like Carney or Green. Now's the perfect time to get one of these guys. We can afford to let them sit for 1/2 the season and learn our system. Then come playoff time, bring them in to give us some energy off the bench. Makes too much sense to me.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby rydjorker121 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 pm

I think that Carney has some similar traits to Ariza, and he does have potential as a niche player, but he's not as young as Ariza and is lacking in the all-around game that Ariza at least showed grasp of. I see him being a taller version of Shannon Brown. Very athletic, but lacks the ball skills to get to the basket, so offensively he's stuck taking three pointers since his mid-range game is nonexistent. He can really finish, and he's already a semi-decent three point shooter. Those two skills can be semi-useful if a playoff team has enough talent to put him in a niche role of spot up shooting and transition play, much like what we did with Shannon Brown.

And like Brown, he's shown defensive flashes; he's also more of a contain defender and in the past he's done a good job limiting the scoring and shooting percentages of opposing SFs.

He's really heavily lacking in an all-around game offensively though, with nonexistent passing ability and terrible rebounding for someone that athletic--I think he's just lacking in some basketball instincts there.

But still, with the right team and if the cards fall right for him, he could potentially make an impact similar to Shannon did with us. He'll probably just be another player in a loser's team or a team that lacks a mature half court attack, though. He has a SF's game but he can defend SGs if need be, and he's not a bad option to pick up for the vet min if we can get him.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby xfellerx on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:14 pm

i would love gerald green, except hes got a terrible attitude and plays no d.
xfellerx

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas