Bynum

Bynum

Postby calughee on Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:38 am

I went to summer league yesterday (I have a source! Me!) and, despite clublakers ringing endorsements of Andrew Bynum, I thought the kid looked slow, lazy and uninterested out there. Maybe the uninterested part is just his normal facial expression, but there is no excuse for a 7 footer who is the biggest dude on the court to get blocked so many times. What I noticed about Bynum is that he is a good scorer from between 3-5 feet from the basket, but anywhere further than that OR closer than that, and he just cant finish. His hook looked good, but he doesnt run down the court- thanks for the tutelage Kareem.

Anyways, my point is that we would be best trading Bynum while he still has value. I just dont see the fire that is needed for a 17 year old with great size and modest skills to dominate in the league.
calughee

Postby 8ebok on Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:43 am

1 SUMMER LEAGUE game is not enough to get rid of him, he has natural talent, and given time he can develop, even the greatest players take a little while to develop (kobe bryant) So I don't think trading him would be wise.
#24-kobe bryant? Whatever...
8ebok

Postby NUMBER 8 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:04 am

He is the most overhyped guy on this forum.he will never be anything in this league
NUMBER 8

Re: Bynum

Postby baller4life88 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:22 am

calughee wrote:I went to summer league yesterday (I have a source! Me!) and, despite clublakers ringing endorsements of Andrew Bynum, I thought the kid looked slow, lazy and uninterested out there. Maybe the uninterested part is just his normal facial expression, but there is no excuse for a 7 footer who is the biggest dude on the court to get blocked so many times. What I noticed about Bynum is that he is a good scorer from between 3-5 feet from the basket, but anywhere further than that OR closer than that, and he just cant finish. His hook looked good, but he doesnt run down the court- thanks for the tutelage Kareem.

Anyways, my point is that we would be best trading Bynum while he still has value. I just dont see the fire that is needed for a 17 year old with great size and modest skills to dominate in the league.

Alright.. who is going to listen to someone who doesnt even know kids age.. he ant 17 hes 18 almost 19.. atleast get his age right.
baller4life88

Postby pavlovscow on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:04 pm

I went to the game and felt the same way.

Then I look at the box score from the previous game and he is scoring 19. He seems to have his ups and downs. I don't think we need to unload him. But I would definitely be more open to trading him for a "KG" or other premier player.

It's tough to get a good big man. He will probably be a servicable backup big man next year. I don't think he a liability to the team, but he isn't a savior either.
pavlovscow

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:10 pm

*shakes head*

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby calughee on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:15 pm

Im not saying he's a liability...at least not as much as Kwame's hands...but I think he has value that we can get a player and improve now. I truly believe that had we not crumbled and beaten phoenix, we'd have slapped the clips and then kobe dominated dallas like he did all season. And we all know he woulda stuck it to the big fella with his legacy on the line. TO get back on the point....I think if we were open to trading him last year, george and bynum woulda been enough to snatch up artest from indy. Bynum woulda been enough to get us Roy and probably more this year. I like Andrew and I was at that game where he dunked on shaq and made the big fella lose his cool. But I want to win....Im a laker fan damnit...i expect it. I dont think Bynum is gonna be a star with that lackadaisacal style. I hope Im wrong but I think we can win now and still have a future.
calughee

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:50 pm

NUMBER 8 wrote:He is the most overhyped guy on this forum.he will never be anything in this league

He's better than he was last year. Will he be like KG, Shaq, Hakeem, etc? No, most likely not. But it's too early to say that "he won't be anything."
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby NUMBER 8 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:06 pm

revgen wrote:
NUMBER 8 wrote:He is the most overhyped guy on this forum.he will never be anything in this league

He's better than he was last year. Will he be like KG, Shaq, Hakeem, etc? No, most likely not. But it's too early to say that "he won't be anything."

ok maybe thats a little harsh.....he might be as good as diop
NUMBER 8

Postby 8ebok on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:22 pm

Give him time, Kobe took a little while, at least lets extend bynum the courtesy, because I guarantee you New Orleans is probably pretty pissed at themselves for trading away that kid out of high school from Pennsylvania.
#24-kobe bryant? Whatever...
8ebok

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:55 pm

Bynum is going to be *crazy nice* in the NBA. How are people even questioning this? The reason Bynum has a good trade value is because of his potential to dominate. I see it in the kid, I don't care about footwork. I'm talking talent. And you've seen it in spurts all year, when he comes in the game and looks ten times better than Mihm on defense and rebounding. Bynum is going to work, he's going to be an excellent player and a mainstay.

Blocks and rebounds are cake for the kid. The offensive game is *always* tough for 18 year old players. That'll come in a few years when he finds his niche in the offense. I can't believe anybody is even questioning the kid.
Lakeshow24

Postby Crispy on Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:47 pm

like i said in another thread, we havent seen bynum play a full real nba game. no one knows what hes capable of. who knows, he could be DWIGHT HOWARD!!!
Crispy

Postby the sauce on Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:10 pm

Whatever, as long as he can influence some shots on D and dunk the ball when he gets it under the hoop he'll be a nice addition to the squad.

Don't forget that Mihm has butterfingers and Kwame rushes his shots under the hoop.

As poorly as Smush played in the final quarters of our playoff demise, Kwame was right up there with him.
the sauce

Postby jBL on Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:53 pm

mahildreth3 wrote:like i said in another thread, we havent seen bynum play a full real nba game. no one knows what hes capable of. who knows, he could be DWIGHT HOWARD!!!

Dwight Howard was already NBA-ready when he stepped on the court. Dwight Howard is wrong comparison not just in terms of NBA-ready, but talents(skills) and size. There was reason why he didn't get significant minutes even with Mihm out of the line up (Ronny got more minutes than Bynum despite of his heart surgery and started towards the end of season)
jBL

Postby pureuncut100 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:47 pm

Its tough to get a read on Andrew Bynum let alone any HS player coming into the league. You just never know. Far to many HS players looked like they didnt belong in their first 1-4 years in the league then they get it all of the sudden. ANd when they "get it" the team that originally drafted them is often kicking themselves in the butt. Hey, sometimes they never get it.

Look, the Lakers drafted Bynum with the 10th pick as the youngest player ever drafted. I wouldnt be opposed to trading him but if you do, you better get quality. I am not talking about Jermaine Oneil for Dale Davis or Kobe for Vlade or T Mac for nothing. YOu better get something good, that is my only hangup.
pureuncut100

Postby Gramps on Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:56 pm

Didn't we do this already?
"Though my eyes could see, I still was was a blind man. Though my mind could think, I still was a mad man." -Kansas
Gramps
Laker Fan Since 1970

Postby Frankenstein on Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:56 pm

It's only Bynum's second year so it's unfair to judge him right now even in the summer leagues.. but then again, The Wizard's Andre Blathe was picked the same year as Bynum. He, like Bynum, came out of high school and i think was picked late in the first or early second round. When the Lakers played the Wizards last Friday, i saw more promise in Blathe..

Bynum is kinda mechanical in his moves right now. The only thing that sets him apart and made a big part in the Lakers picking him was that he is a footer.

I think it's too early to judge him right now and looks to improve slower than other high school players drafted recently.. say Blathe or those 7ft Boston rookies. He may need to strengthen his core muscles just as Odom did late last season. He could use some explosiveness and need to play more physical. We do not need another finesse player up front...we are soft as it is right now with Cook, Mihm and Odom up there.
Frankenstein

Postby LakerMatty on Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:46 pm

Some of u say Bynum sucks and we should trade him.

Some of you say he is the next Dwight Howard or Shaq.

The reality is that you can't determine how successful he will be at 18 or even 19 years old. All u can determine is potential. Look at Jermaine Oneal. Basically the same age as Bynum when he came in the league, even a little older, and he sucked really badly his first 4 years. Every1 called him a bust.
And we all know about Kwame. He wasnt worth a damn until he turned 24. We have to give Bynum AT LEAST another 2 or 3 years before we can determine anything about his game.

So please. Whenever some1 says either Bynum sucks, or Bynum is the next Tim Duncan, please refer them to this post. I am tired of explaing this over and over... :bang:
Its all about the TEAM
LakerMatty

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:03 pm

Tim Duncan, referring to Andrew Bynum:

"Good young player," Duncan said. "He's got a big body and it looks like he's got great coordination. He moves his feet really well and made a couple of good moves in there. He's got a lot of promise."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/bask ... dc276.html
Lakeshow24

Postby J.C. Smith on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:43 pm

How many times do people need to start the same threads without addnig a single new thing to the old discussions?

Facts:

- When Bynum matures and strengthens up he will be one of the biggest men in the NBA.
- Bynum was the most athletic center in pre-draft camps. (This is a fact, so please stop the he looks slow and unathletic comments, they are bogus)
- Bynum is an 18 year old kid. He hasn't yet learned to use his body.
- Bynum still has a long way to go conditioning wise.
- Bynum has natural shot blocking abilitiy. He was one of the NBA's best block per minute guys his rookie season.
- The kid only played two years of high school basketball, and was injured for much of his senior year. The kid has very little NBA experience, and a season and a half of Summer Pro League experience. He is very raw.

Anyone who can look at Bynum now and say that he will be nothing... just go to sleep. Your analysis of a raw kid at this stage is worthless. He is a very talented young kid, best case scenario he could be an all-star, worse case scenario he is a big body who can block shots. Would I trade him? Sure if it was for the right player. But don't be so quick do discount this young kid as a bust. IMO he has shown good progress from last year to this, and I expect him to get better as he bulks up and learns how to use his body.
J.C. Smith

Postby Flatlyner on Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:17 pm

Frankenstein wrote:It's only Bynum's second year so it's unfair to judge him right now even in the summer leagues.. but then again, The Wizard's Andre Blathe was picked the same year as Bynum. He, like Bynum, came out of high school and i think was picked late in the first or early second round. When the Lakers played the Wizards last Friday, i saw more promise in Blathe..

Bynum is kinda mechanical in his moves right now. The only thing that sets him apart and made a big part in the Lakers picking him was that he is a footer.

I think it's too early to judge him right now and looks to improve slower than other high school players drafted recently.. say Blathe or those 7ft Boston rookies. He may need to strengthen his core muscles just as Odom did late last season. He could use some explosiveness and need to play more physical. We do not need another finesse player up front...we are soft as it is right now with Cook, Mihm and Odom up there.

Its funny that you should mention Blatche. I remember watching the McDonalds All-American game in which Blatche and Bynum both played. I was far and away more impressed with Blatche and I thought he was a steal in the 2nd round. I can still look at both of their games and see that Blatche is, and likely WILL be better. I saw nothing in the game from Bynum that suggested he should be in the NBA and was amazed when he entered the draft.

Bynum is a prime example of why some HS kids NEED to go to college. That being said, I see more bad qualities thus far in his career then good quality. Keep saying he is 18 and yaddah yaddah... I've seen some 18 year olds ready to play (a la Howard, Garnett, etc) when they came to league. While that might not be the norm, picked #10, it should have been.
Flatlyner

Postby wavy on Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:48 am

KB8@CL wrote:*shakes head*

same over here
wavy

Postby saint091 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:45 pm

you judge bynum so easily man, did you not forget this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4_7whZmtcPA

If this isnt a sign, then idk what is
Credit to SocWiz15 For Sig
saint091

Postby Barnstable on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:05 am

Wow.

Do you remember what Kobe was like in his first year?

You have to evaluate according to what his assets and liabilities are and his attitude towards learning and improvement. Andrew has everything needed to become a top center in the NBA.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby the_Dude on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:48 am

saint091 wrote:you judge bynum so easily man, did you not forget this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4_7whZmtcPA

If this isnt a sign, then idk what is

All I see is him getting flattened by Shaq and then Shaq cheating big time. It was lucky but great to watch the big guy get his.

No reason for alarm yet. The guy will get there. What does everyone think his trade value is anyways. KG? Sorry, if you think that is possible.

He's going to be a good one. Almost 19 is kinda young don't you all think? Only Laker fans who lived through the early 2000's domination demand stardom instantly. Teams take time to grow and get comfortable with each other. Instant turnarounds only happen once in a lifetime and mostly through free agency. (Not looking good there in light of recent signings). Even the greatest players of all time didn't all lead their teams to titles their rookie seasons.

Last thing. To all of those who talk about how bad Bynum is and that we should trade him what value are you looking for in return? You all think he is worthless so why wouldn't GMs who are paid to do this figure this out. Mitch is the guy who would be dealing for us not dealing with after all.
the_Dude

Next

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas