A Bynum Trade that MAKES SENSE...

A Bynum Trade that MAKES SENSE...

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:28 am

OK, most of us on the forum are angry with Walton's Contract, but THAT AINT GOIN' NOWHERE!!! :bang: :man2: :man5: :man6:

Many others are angry with Shannon Brown's decision making and declining shooting %. Some are miffed at Steve Blake's passivity, and Derek Fisher starting. A growing number of fans are becoming fed up with Bynum's injuries, lack of mental toughness and inconsistency. So what do we do? Do we take the Melo deal, getting rid of probably Barnes, our next 3 drafts, our trade exception, Caracter and Ebanks...etc? HELL NO! :mad1:

The main argument against a trade for Melo is that we would have to give up too much, we would take on too much salary, and we would be stuck with an unhappy Artest languishing on the bench behind Melo. Most of the assets we'd be obligated to give up would be sacrificed WITHOUT getting anything back, such as young players (Caracter and Probably Ebanks) and valuable assets (draft selections and our trade exception) in order to make the deal worthwhile for Denver. This trade is DEAD, and rightfully so.

So, in lieu of that idea, I began searching for the BEST scenario. I have been looking through all of the current players that are plainly and publicly available to try to put together the best deal FOR ALL PARTIES INVOLVED. My main goal was to MAINTAIN decent front court size and toughness, fix our Back court scoring, and improve our outside shooting...all while giving the OTHER TEAM a good deal as well.

After careful consideration and rigorous searching and trial and error, I wound up looking no further than across the hall...at the Blakers (aka The Los Angeles Clippers). The Clippers want to get out of Baron Davis's deal, and they are actively shopping Chris Kaman...who is due back from injury after the All Star break. I put together the following trade:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4vzggbo

This trade essentially swaps the 28 year old Kaman for the 23 year old Bynum. That is a deal that is quite favorable to the Clippers, who now have a formidable Blake Griffin, Andrew Bynum front court. In exchange for this swap, we agree to cut some LA Clippers salary by splitting our trade exception to take on Rasual Butler and Craig Smith. Smith is no replacement for Bynum, but he is a powerful play-maker at the 4 position with an excellent shooting percentage, and a close to the basket game. The combination of Craig Smith and Chris Kaman actually makes us bigger and stronger on the inside. Odom moves to the starting line-up, and we go with a Kaman/Smith back up 4-5 rotation. Brian Cook replaces Joe Smith...yet another salary savings for the Clips.

In the biggest savings yet, we send the 3 remaining years of Steve Blake's contract (totaling 12 million) to the Clips for B-Diddy's 2 remaining years (totaling 26 million) a savings of $14 million for the clippers, who will be well positioned under the new CBA to go after a back court mate to go with Eric Gordon and the front court of Blake/Bynum/Deandre Jordan. LA also makes some much needed upgrades. Fisher slides to the bench to make room for Kobe's good friend, Baron Davis. Baron will be a shot of adrenaline to the Lakers starting unit...adding sorely lacking ball handling and scoring ability and taking some pressure off of Artest. Fisher becomes a quality player in limited minutes off the bench. Rasual Butler is a slight downgrade from Shannon Brown, athletically and age wise...but he is bigger (at 6'7 220) and a better fit for the triangle as he does most of his damage from the perimeter OFF BALL.

We upgrade our starting rotation's athleticism and scoring ability, and we upgrade our bench's size and shooting ability. Brian Cook is shooting 43% from downtown this season, up from a career mark of 39%...Definitely a nice upgrade from an over-the-hill Joe Smith. Craig Smith and Chris Kaman give us TWO tough, BIG men for our front court rotation, allowing Pau to play at least 20 minutes or more at the PF position. Plus, I am LOVING the idea of having Smith, Kaman and Caracter to come in and push the Celtics smaller reserve bigs around...plus those three are MUCH more inclined to bully as opposed to being bullied. Our Roster looks like this:

PG: Baron Davis / Derek Fisher
SG: Kobe Bryant / Rasual Butler
SF: Ron Artest / Matt Barnes / Luke Walton / Devin Ebanks
PF: Lamar Odom / Craig Smith / Brian Cook
C: Pau Gasol / Chris Kaman / Derrick Caracter / Theo Ratliff

The main reason the Clippers make the deal? Bynum/Blake/Jordan front court and LOTS OF SAVINGS. All in All, the Blakers save $20.6 Million over the next 3 seasons, if they opt out of Bynum's deal in 2012...which I would DEFINITELY do. That way they can still offer him a bigger max deal than any other team, if he starts playing like a superstar, or they can take a run at Dwight Howard in 2012 with the money saved from dumping Bynum, and trading us Baron Davis's Contract.

The main reason the Lakers make the deal? We get rid of Shannon Brown and Steve Blake, we ADD size, we add BARON DAVIS to our back court, and we still have Fisher's clutch shooting, and Barnes coming off the bench. I say this is a GREAT deal to pull off...FOR BOTH TEAMS!
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Re: A Bynum Trade that MAKES SENSE...

Postby laker911 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 am

Why don't we just flip franchises?
laker911

Postby Weezy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:50 am

Way too many players for one trade. Also, you should be banned for suggesting we take back Brian Cook, the second we dropped that loser we became a true contender. :mhihi:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:32 am

laker911 wrote:Why don't we just flip franchises?

Our main core is Kobe, Gasol and Odom...with Derek Fisher's leadership. Bynum is often included in our core, but we are 2-1 in the FINALS without any tangible production from Bynum, except for ONE good game in game 1 last finals that I am POSITIVE could have been replicated by Chris Kamen. Barnes stays put. Ebanks, Caracter and Walton all stay. Phil is still the coach.

Seriously, how does that statement even apply...unless you think Bynum and Shannon Brown are the franchise! For god's sake, if you really think shipping out Brown and Blake for Baron Davis is that much of problem, then at least back up your statement with some kind of rational argument.

EDIT: I broke down the production of each player in the deal. Here goes.

KAMAN
Best season (Last Year in 76 Games): 34.3mpg, 18.5ppg, 9.2rpg, 1.2bpg 49% FG
Career Averages: 29.9mpg, 11.7ppg, 8.4rpg, 1.4bpg 48.6% FG
Average Games Missed Per Season: 19.875

BYNUM
Best season (Last Year in 65 Games): 30.4mpg, 15.0ppg, 8.3rpg, 1.4bpg 57% FG
Career Average: 23.8mpg, 10.4ppg, 6.8rpg, 1.5bpg 56.8% FG
Average Games Missed Per Season: 26

Baron Davis: 29.5mpg, 13.3ppg, 7.0apg, 2.8rpg, 1.5spg, 0.5bpg 42% FG, 30% 3PT, 77% FT
Brown/Blake: 39.3mpg, 13.6ppg, 3.2apg, 4.3rpg, 1.3spg, 0.2bpg 40% FG, 37% 3PT, 90% FT

So now Rasual Butler and Craig Smith need to replace Joe Smith's production...hmm...yeah I think that's possible...

Weezy wrote:Way too many players for one trade. Also, you should be banned for suggesting we take back Brian Cook, the second we dropped that loser we became a true contender. :mhihi:

Dude, Brian Cook is shooting 43% from downtown this season, and he is REPLACING JOE SMITH. I think you were kidding right? Also, what the heck does "Way too many players for one trade" mean? Do you object to shipping out Joe Smith? Steve Blake for Baron Davis...how the heck is that not a SERIOUS upgrade??? Kaman and Craig Smith for Bynum...I think that is fair for both teams. Butler for Shannon Brown is a sacrifice, but we could always swap first rounders or second rounders to even that out....I don't think it's necessary, but whatever.

I really think this deal makes us BETTER...3 or 4 games down the stretch better...which could determine playoff seeding. We need to make a move to improve our back court and our bench...this deal does both IN SPADES.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby gninerfan21 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Just so you know. We're 0-1 in the finals without Bynum.

(this regime)
gninerfan21

Postby Lakers Showtime24-7 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:13 pm

I really don't like it.

Think about why we didn't trade LO + Bynum + Kwame + fillers for KG or Jason Kidd. The whole point of making that big of a trade is to get a star player to play with our current good guys (Kobe+Pau+LO+Bynum+Derek+Brown+Artest+etc.)

Kaman + Baron - Bynum - Shannon makes us worse. Why even trade unless we are getting an awesome player as an addition or upgrade rather than a substitute for something we already have?
I want to buy an authentic, white, #8 Kobe jersey in size 48 or 50. Please message me if you can help.
Lakers Showtime24-7

Postby Larry14r on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:28 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:OK, most of us on the forum are angry with Walton's Contract, but THAT AINT GOIN' NOWHERE!!! :bang: :man2: :man5: :man6:

Many others are angry with Shannon Brown's decision making and declining shooting %. Some are miffed at Steve Blake's passivity, and Derek Fisher starting. A growing number of fans are becoming fed up with Bynum's injuries, lack of mental toughness and inconsistency. So what do we do? Do we take the Melo deal, getting rid of probably Barnes, our next 3 drafts, our trade exception, Caracter and Ebanks...etc? HELL NO! :mad1:

The main argument against a trade for Melo is that we would have to give up too much, we would take on too much salary, and we would be stuck with an unhappy Artest languishing on the bench behind Melo. Most of the assets we'd be obligated to give up would be sacrificed WITHOUT getting anything back, such as young players (Caracter and Probably Ebanks) and valuable assets (draft selections and our trade exception) in order to make the deal worthwhile for Denver. This trade is DEAD, and rightfully so.

So, in lieu of that idea, I began searching for the BEST scenario. I have been looking through all of the current players that are plainly and publicly available to try to put together the best deal FOR ALL PARTIES INVOLVED. My main goal was to MAINTAIN decent front court size and toughness, fix our Back court scoring, and improve our outside shooting...all while giving the OTHER TEAM a good deal as well.

After careful consideration and rigorous searching and trial and error, I wound up looking no further than across the hall...at the Blakers (aka The Los Angeles Clippers). The Clippers want to get out of Baron Davis's deal, and they are actively shopping Chris Kaman...who is due back from injury after the All Star break. I put together the following trade:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4vzggbo

This trade essentially swaps the 28 year old Kaman for the 23 year old Bynum. That is a deal that is quite favorable to the Clippers, who now have a formidable Blake Griffin, Andrew Bynum front court. In exchange for this swap, we agree to cut some LA Clippers salary by splitting our trade exception to take on Rasual Butler and Craig Smith. Smith is no replacement for Bynum, but he is a powerful play-maker at the 4 position with an excellent shooting percentage, and a close to the basket game. The combination of Craig Smith and Chris Kaman actually makes us bigger and stronger on the inside. Odom moves to the starting line-up, and we go with a Kaman/Smith back up 4-5 rotation. Brian Cook replaces Joe Smith...yet another salary savings for the Clips.

In the biggest savings yet, we send the 3 remaining years of Steve Blake's contract (totaling 12 million) to the Clips for B-Diddy's 2 remaining years (totaling 26 million) a savings of $14 million for the clippers, who will be well positioned under the new CBA to go after a back court mate to go with Eric Gordon and the front court of Blake/Bynum/Deandre Jordan. LA also makes some much needed upgrades. Fisher slides to the bench to make room for Kobe's good friend, Baron Davis. Baron will be a shot of adrenaline to the Lakers starting unit...adding sorely lacking ball handling and scoring ability and taking some pressure off of Artest. Fisher becomes a quality player in limited minutes off the bench. Rasual Butler is a slight downgrade from Shannon Brown, athletically and age wise...but he is bigger (at 6'7 220) and a better fit for the triangle as he does most of his damage from the perimeter OFF BALL.

We upgrade our starting rotation's athleticism and scoring ability, and we upgrade our bench's size and shooting ability. Brian Cook is shooting 43% from downtown this season, up from a career mark of 39%...Definitely a nice upgrade from an over-the-hill Joe Smith. Craig Smith and Chris Kaman give us TWO tough, BIG men for our front court rotation, allowing Pau to play at least 20 minutes or more at the PF position. Plus, I am LOVING the idea of having Smith, Kaman and Caracter to come in and push the Celtics smaller reserve bigs around...plus those three are MUCH more inclined to bully as opposed to being bullied. Our Roster looks like this:

PG: Baron Davis / Derek Fisher
SG: Kobe Bryant / Rasual Butler
SF: Ron Artest / Matt Barnes / Luke Walton / Devin Ebanks
PF: Lamar Odom / Craig Smith / Brian Cook
C: Pau Gasol / Chris Kaman / Derrick Caracter / Theo Ratliff

The main reason the Clippers make the deal? Bynum/Blake/Jordan front court and LOTS OF SAVINGS. All in All, the Blakers save $20.6 Million over the next 3 seasons, if they opt out of Bynum's deal in 2012...which I would DEFINITELY do. That way they can still offer him a bigger max deal than any other team, if he starts playing like a superstar, or they can take a run at Dwight Howard in 2012 with the money saved from dumping Bynum, and trading us Baron Davis's Contract.

The main reason the Lakers make the deal? We get rid of Shannon Brown and Steve Blake, we ADD size, we add BARON DAVIS to our back court, and we still have Fisher's clutch shooting, and Barnes coming off the bench. I say this is a GREAT deal to pull off...FOR BOTH TEAMS!

HELL NO. ALSO WHY DID YOU THINK WE GOT RID OF BRIAN COOK.
Larry14r

Postby Uncle_Meat on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Weezy wrote:Way too many players for one trade. Also, you should be banned for suggesting we take back Brian Cook, the second we dropped that loser we became a true contender. :mhihi:

Second the motion. This is ugly!
Uncle_Meat

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Let's just be the Clippers...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:33 am

"Let's just be the Clippers..."

Again, aparently Shannon Brown and Andrew Bynum are more important to this franchise than Kobe, Lamar, Pau, Artest, Barnes, Fisher's leadership and Phil Jackson...hmm...never would have guessed that...seems wrong, IDK.

I really don't like it.

Think about why we didn't trade LO + Bynum + Kwame + fillers for KG or Jason Kidd. The whole point of making that big of a trade is to get a star player to play with our current good guys (Kobe+Pau+LO+Bynum+Derek+Brown+Artest+etc.)

Kaman + Baron - Bynum - Shannon makes us worse. Why even trade unless we are getting an awesome player as an addition or upgrade rather than a substitute for something we already have?

You really think Baron Davis is not as good as Shannon Brown? The numbers suggest otherwise. You really think Chris Kaman, Craig Smith and Brian Cook can't produce as much as Andrew Bynum alone (Drew just went 2-12 against the Cavs...) No intelligent arguments against this trade yet. And seriosuly, anyone who thinks a user should be banned for advocating repacing Joe Smith with Brian Cook SHOULD BE BANNED for lack of intelligence. If it were for a healthy Ratliff, that would be stupid...but it's not.

You people that make fun of taking Brian Cook back for a bag of chips to replace Joe Smith (or Theo if he is out for the season) are the same people who thought that Kwame Brown was the reason we weren't winning rings pre Gasol. Like it had nothing to do with the fact that we just didn't have enough front court talent, and were asking Kwame to do too much. How many of you Kwame haters saw him and Nazr Muhammed make mince meat of our front court???
Snakell Beast

Postby captainhoop on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:51 pm

I would rather have Luke Walton on my team than Chris Kaman.
HUGE LOS ANGELES LAKERS FAN & BASKETBALL CARD COLLECTOR!
CLICK ON THE BANNER FOR MY TRADELIST.

captainhoop

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas