Can we offer anything to Ramon Sessions?

Can we offer anything to Ramon Sessions?

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:14 pm

Do we still have the minimum available at this point after the Odom signing? Although its pie in the sky, COULD Sessions come to us if he really wanted to sign for the minimum. Would we be able to offer him that for 1 year, in case he wanted to test free agency next year in the big 2010 market?
Also, what about the possibility of a sign and trade of Jordan Farmar and Elonu for Ramon Sessions.
LAKEROC

Re: Can we offer anything to Ramon Sessions?

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:18 pm

I would offer my left nut for essions...

I'm still absolutely shocked that the teams are so reluctant offerhim him a contract.

Sessions is a possible 20ppg and 8 apg PG who at 6-3 has great size and quickness. Only thing he isn't great at yet is shooting but if a PG can get 24 assists in a game, that doesn't happen accidently.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:35 pm

He's not going to sign for the minimum. And he certainly won't be coming off the bench. He's going to NY and he's going to start, looking like an all-star in D'Antoni's offense.

S&T isn't an option because the Bucks aren't looking to take on salary. That's why they're letting Sessions watch. If they wanted to spend, they'd just keep him.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:35 pm

I absolutely agree. I had Sessions as one of the top 2 free agents in this class. I think he's extremly underrated, and I think he would be great for our ball club. he's got great size, plays good defense, and while his outside shot is suspect at best, he is a pass-first type of player, who is only 23 years old. If we were able to make a trade with Milwaukee for him, if Milwaukee thinks they will lose him, and we could get him for say Farmar/Elonu and cash then this team becomings God-like in my eyes of dominating teams.

Is the minimum available still? I would get on my knees and beg that man to come here.

If not, try to swing a trade of Farmar for Sessions. We do that, and we don't have any major injuries, the Bulls' 72-10 is offically going down the drain
LAKEROC

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:36 pm

LAKEROC wrote:Is the minimum available still? I would get on my knees and beg that man to come here.

Teams have unlimited minimum contracts to offer.
JSM

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:41 pm

I would be willing to GUARANTEE a starting position for Sessions if he were willing to sign for the minimum.

Isn't Ron Artest friends with Session as well :man1:
LAKEROC

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:45 pm

LAKEROC wrote:I would be willing to GUARANTEE a starting position for Sessions if he were willing to sign for the minimum.

Fish starts as long as Phil is here.
JSM

Postby GNC on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:26 pm

sessions imo was one of the biggest free agents. and i am suprised he is still team-less...

he can ball , the bucks are just a horrible organization.
GNC

Postby Larry14r on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:12 pm

JSM wrote:
LAKEROC wrote:I would be willing to GUARANTEE a starting position for Sessions if he were willing to sign for the minimum.

Fish starts as long as Phil is here.

Well that's not all true remember when Gary Payton was here that one year and Fish agreed to go to the bench, and you never know he might do the same thing if we get Sessions because D-Fish is a team player, and Phil will have to understand that.
Larry14r

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:18 pm

Larry14r wrote:Well that's not all true remember when Gary Payton was here that one year and Fish agreed to go to the bench, and you never know he might do the same thing if we get Sessions because D-Fish is a team player, and Phil will have to understand that.

It's not that Fish wouldn't accept a bench role, it's that Phil wouldn't demote him. That situation was completely different. GP is a Hall of Famer and had more experience than Fish. Sessions is a 23 year old kid; so like I said, Phil won't hand over the reigns to a new offense over to a 23 year old kid over D-Fish.
JSM

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:40 pm

If Sessions signed a 2 year minimum deal, with a PO for that second year, he could opt out in 2010 and get some real money from some teams, while probably being part of a championship team, and will get immense national exposure.
LAKEROC

Postby TheGM on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:49 pm

Why do you even want Sessions? He can't hit an open 3 and is one of the worst shooting PG's in the NBA from deep. The Lakers need a PG that can hit open shots or they are a liability on the court.
TheGM

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Because that same arguerment was used on Trevor Ariza, and look what happened to him. Sessions is young and still has time to develop that outside shot. If he ever develops that sucker, he becomes a top 5 PG in this league...hands down. The guy is very unselfish, and is great at getting to the rim. he's got great handle, and plays very good defense. Not to mention Ramon has an incredible work ethic.

If you can get a 23 year old player with that much upside for very little(1.8 million a year) you do it.

Dream Scenario:
Ramon Sessions- 2 year(PO on 2nd year) at the minimum

Jordan Farmar(expiring) and Adam Morrison(expiring) for Shane Battier

We offically become God-like with that team.
LAKEROC

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:21 pm

LAKEROC wrote:If Sessions signed a 2 year minimum deal, with a PO for that second year, he could opt out in 2010 and get some real money from some teams, while probably being part of a championship team, and will get immense national exposure.

You do realize by accepting a minimum deal, he would not even clear $900k. That's not even a $200k increase in salary which is a slap in the face to a player of that caliber.

Landing him for the vet. min. is not an option. He's a restricted free agent. The Bucks would match such a ridiculously low offer.

He can get some real money from teams this summer. Namely the Knicks, who are willing to throw most, if not all of their MLE at him. Starting for the Knicks with a chance to play with a couple of stars (maybe a superstar) next year will land him plenty of national exposure.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:22 pm

LAKEROC wrote:If you can get a 23 year old player with that much upside for very little(1.8 million a year) you do it.

Where are you getting that figure? Because that's over double the amount we could offer him.
JSM

Postby THE_DAGGER on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:08 pm

I don't think we could get him for the minimum even if he was willing to accept it. His qualifying offer is a little over $1M. As far as I know, any offer given to him has to be equal to or more than his qualifying offer. Being that he's only played 2 seasons, I would believe a minimum offer for him is below $1M. Probably around $700,000-$800,000. So, it's basically impossible to get him for the minimum.

A sign-and-trade might also be difficult. New York is rumored to offer him the MLE. Let's assume that's the least he'd be willing to sign for. That would definitely be more than a 20% raise for Sessions. Making him a BYC player. Meaning we'd probably have to take back more salary and players to make the trade work. Meaning more luxury tax.
THE_DAGGER

Location: Pittsburg, CA (yes, without the "h" and yes, in CA)

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:19 pm

Sure, it's called the vet's minimum that can be offered to anyone at any time before the FA signing period is over.

Doesn't mean he'll sign here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:56 pm

#1 hes Restricted. #2 He's not going to get high # of Asst on this team, Tri isn't based on 1 player doing all the set up. Also he doesn't seem to be a very good shooter, I dont watch his games but I had him on my fantasy team and he's pretty belove avg. with fg %. He's probably perfect for NYK.
khmrP

Postby d.carter4kobe on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Maybe if the Lakers were willing to take on Gadz in a sign and trade

Sessions(startin at 4.5mill)/Gadz for Ammo/Farmar/2nd(Mbenga/Powell)
F.Elson for Trade X

The Bucks add lil to no salary(compared to letting Sessions walk) but get a replacement pg/and get out of Gadz k...Lakers would have to take on even more salary..which isnt likely
d.carter4kobe

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas