Chris Andersen

Chris Andersen

Postby Biz on Tue May 05, 2009 10:21 pm

I'm watching this Dallas-Denver series and am very impressed with Chris Andersen. This guy is a pretty good defender, great shot blocker, brings A TON of energy, and is the definition of a hustle player. He would also bring some toughness to our relatively soft front-line. Sure, he has a history of suspensions but he seems to have matured a lot from the time he spent away from the nba.

IF we lose Odom (or if we don't re-sign Powell), I think he would be a great player to sign. He is going to be a free agent after this season, what type of money will teams throw at him? Do you think he would be a good fit in LA?
Last edited by Biz on Wed May 06, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biz

 
Posts: 3511
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Fan favorite in Denver, they won't want to lose him.

Besides, I don't like this guy. Not to mention he's a Center not a PF, so if the Lakers lose Odom it's not the same.

And he has most certainly not matured. As I've said before, I love how he's come around in his life, but I hate the way he plays basketball.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby from714to402 on Tue May 05, 2009 10:25 pm

I don't think he is a good man to man defender. He is a great help defender though.

I think he gets maybe 4-5 mill in the offseason.
Image
User avatar
from714to402

 
Posts: 8192
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: The 402

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby Biz on Wed May 06, 2009 12:50 am

Yeah I know its kind of an unrealistic proposal. Just with all those layups we gave up in the 4th quarter last night made me wish the lakers had somebody who hustled on D. Plus if we lose Odom and Powell we are really thin on bigs. I think 4-5 mill is a bit much no? Maybe 2-3mill range?
Biz

 
Posts: 3511
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 06, 2009 6:50 am

Somewhere in bewteen maybe, but I'd lean towards 2-3. He'll get probably a little less than MLE money. His offense is almost non-existent, so he's still not going to get a ton of money.

Anyways, If the Lakers lose Powell and Odom ( they wont) then there are others that they'd look to sign, like McDyess. Wily old vet in need of a ring.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby from714to402 on Wed May 06, 2009 8:55 am

BizMinded24 wrote:Yeah I know its kind of an unrealistic proposal. Just with all those layups we gave up in the 4th quarter last night made me wish the lakers had somebody who hustled on D. Plus if we lose Odom and Powell we are really thin on bigs. I think 4-5 mill is a bit much no? Maybe 2-3mill range?

I think there are teams that would overpay for a shot blocking, fan favorite big man. The guy hustles out there, he brings a lot of the intangibles to the game. I do think 4-5 mill is a lot for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got it.
Image
User avatar
from714to402

 
Posts: 8192
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: The 402

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby khmrP on Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 am

realdeal...whats wrong with the way he plays basketball? #1 hes not in there to score, so why knock on him for his offense? #2 he can play both positions PF/C. I do agree he is not a good man defender but having someone with his effort/energy doesn't HURT your team. With that said I would rather get Mcdyess as well just more polished all around and probably isn't looking to get paid like Anderson will, somebody out there will over pay...Den is strapped I dont think they are going to be able to keep him.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby Biz on Wed May 06, 2009 12:41 pm

^^Agreed khmrP.

I think anybody would prefer McDyess over Andersen but Andersen would still be much cheaper, regardless of the fact that Mcdyess won't be looking for a big payday. We will be over the cap next season so every dollar counts. Plus, like you said khmrP, denver is already strapped for cash so I'm not sure if they will be able to keep him.
Biz

 
Posts: 3511
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 06, 2009 3:33 pm

His spirit can't be denied, but his attitude is atrocious. All of his theatrics have little room on the court. He's a talented scrub, but little else than that. That's all moot because like I said, he'll most likely stay in Denver for cheaper than go somewhere else. McDyess is easily the more desirable person.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby khmrP on Wed May 06, 2009 4:21 pm

^^^Comeon dude, Ronny was dancing on the sidelines and do crazy arse stuff on the court....and we loved him for that.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby LakersChamps04 on Wed May 06, 2009 4:33 pm

as soon as he comes to the BRIGHT LIGHTS OF LOS ANGELES..here come his troubles again
User avatar
LakersChamps04

 
Posts: 3066
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:21 am
Location: Husker Nation

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 06, 2009 5:06 pm

khmrP wrote:^^^Comeon dude, Ronny was dancing on the sidelines and do crazy arse stuff on the court....and we loved him for that.


Ronny's enthusiasm was positive in all aspects. Even towards other teams. Andersen is disrespectful in almost all respects to other teams. There cannot be any real comparison to Andersen's self satisfied gloating and Ronny's cheerleading.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby khmrP on Thu May 07, 2009 8:51 am

Ok I got you so its OK to dance on sideline even though Lakers blowing out the opponents, if you forgot there was reason why Brand almost took his head off when Ronny got into the game late during a blowout.....Anderson antics aren't any worse then Mutombo finger wag, or Kobe "big balls" dance. Anderson does his antics towards the CROWD which in turns hype them up as well. I hardly see him doing his "antics' on the road.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby therealdeal on Thu May 07, 2009 1:49 pm

khmrP wrote:Ok I got you so its OK to dance on sideline even though Lakers blowing out the opponents, if you forgot there was reason why Brand almost took his head off when Ronny got into the game late during a blowout.....Anderson antics aren't any worse then Mutombo finger wag, or Kobe "big balls" dance. Anderson does his antics towards the CROWD which in turns hype them up as well. I hardly see him doing his "antics' on the road.


Yes, Ronny's dancing is much less offensive than his posturing for the crowd. Ronny isn't mocking the other team, he's just enjoying his. How is that the same as Andersen's strutting around the court, patting his hair down and whatnot?

In my opinion, Kobe has earned any trash he talks, he's put it up for years, out performing the competition. Andersen is a scrub, and although a fan favorite and a recovered druggie, he's not special. If he were Mutombo, who was consistently a very good shot blocker for almost his entire career, I'd see it. But right now, he's a Mbenga with a cocky attitude. I don't like it, that's just a personal thing. Why is this a big deal to you?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby Biz on Fri May 08, 2009 12:27 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:Ok I got you so its OK to dance on sideline even though Lakers blowing out the opponents, if you forgot there was reason why Brand almost took his head off when Ronny got into the game late during a blowout.....Anderson antics aren't any worse then Mutombo finger wag, or Kobe "big balls" dance. Anderson does his antics towards the CROWD which in turns hype them up as well. I hardly see him doing his "antics' on the road.


Yes, Ronny's dancing is much less offensive than his posturing for the crowd. Ronny isn't mocking the other team, he's just enjoying his. How is that the same as Andersen's strutting around the court, patting his hair down and whatnot?

In my opinion, Kobe has earned any trash he talks, he's put it up for years, out performing the competition. Andersen is a scrub, and although a fan favorite and a recovered druggie, he's not special. If he were Mutombo, who was consistently a very good shot blocker for almost his entire career, I'd see it. But right now, he's a Mbenga with a cocky attitude. I don't like it, that's just a personal thing. Why is this a big deal to you?


I think you not liking him personally is effecting your judgment. I remember during a playoff game (forget which one) they were talking about Andersen and how he handled the suspension. Andersen said that it was one of the toughest things he has ever had to go through, but used the time to improve himself and his game. He studied tapes and watched a lot of games so he could understand the game better. Many people in Andersen's position would have crumbled up and died, but he turned a dark time in his life into a positive situation. Not many people can do what he did, and many believed that he would never make it back to the nba. For this I gained a lot of respect for the guy.

Any time I've seen him play, he doesn't seem to do anything that crosses the line. Sure, when he gets a block he acts tough and cocky, but that just fires up the crowd. He brings a tremendous amount of energy. I personally would love if we had someone like that on our team: a defensive minded, energy-hustle guy with swag coming off of our bench.
Biz

 
Posts: 3511
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 08, 2009 2:20 pm

^ I'm infinitely proud of him for coming back from his problems, honestly I am. But that last bit, the cockiness. That's something I just never liked from guys like him. We have guys like him, just not as focused defensively. Powell is a workhorse, but he has small hands and he's only 6'9". Mbenga is 7' but the guy hasn't been given the chance to shine like Andersen has. The team has those guys, they just don't use them. Mostly because they don't need to.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby Biz on Sat May 09, 2009 2:16 pm

Mbenga is similar player but he is still not even close to being the player Andersen is. As limited as birdman is on offense, he can still catch the ball and dunk it with ease, something DJ can't really do. Andersen is a much better shot blocker because he seems to have better timing. Plus, birdman's energy >>>>>>>> than DJ's. I like DJ, but he just doesn't have the "swag" that Andersen has.

As for his attitude, I honestly don't think he is excessively cocky. I thing he brings just the right amount to bring energy to the team. I see your point though and I can understand why he rubs you the wrong way. But lets face it, if he was in the P&G I think your opinion would change :man9: :man1:
Biz

 
Posts: 3511
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby Biz on Sun May 10, 2009 10:53 pm

I guarantee we wouldn't have gave up so many lay ups today with birdman on the team :man11: Just saying...
Biz

 
Posts: 3511
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Mon May 11, 2009 6:26 pm

He's found a home. Unless we vastly overpay in the FA market (making re-signing Odom virtually impossible) he's staying.
Image

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
User avatar
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason
 
Posts: 21902
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:21 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby offyourheezy on Tue May 12, 2009 12:19 am

hes made a name for himself as a good blocker and a "Getting the crowd going" dude and a decent bench player. hes actually playing well, no way we can get him while trying to both afford Lamar and Trevor back, not to mention Bynum's huge raise of payment.
offyourheezy

 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Tue May 12, 2009 12:21 am

offyourheezy wrote:hes made a name for himself as a good blocker and a "Getting the crowd going" dude and a decent bench player. hes actually playing well, no way we can get him while trying to both afford Lamar and Trevor back, not to mention Bynum's huge raise of payment.


Fo sho'.

He's earned triple what he's making now... easily.
Image

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
User avatar
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason
 
Posts: 21902
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:21 pm

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby Biz on Tue May 12, 2009 6:15 am

Isn't denver over the cap already? Plus they don't have any big expiring K's + more payroll next season. Andersen makes just under a mill this season, if he is going to earn triple that that would ~3 mill. That would mean denver would pay about 6 mill to keep Andersen, is that realistic? (correct me if I'm wrong)

edit: I realized you said he "earned" triple of what he made this year, not necessarily what he is going to get. But still, even if denver throws him a 2mill/year deal (which is very conservative IMO), they are still going to have to pay 4+ mill for him.
Biz

 
Posts: 3511
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am

Re: Chris Andersen

Postby JSM on Thu May 14, 2009 11:13 am

He's a help defender, we have Drew for shotblocking. And DJ if Phil ever lets him off the bench.

If we get a big this summer, I'd rather it be a man defender. Along the lines of a McDyess or a Kurt Thomas...someone of that mold.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta


Return to Trade and Signing Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.