Could the Lakers sign and trade Odom for Ben Gordon?

Could the Lakers sign and trade Odom for Ben Gordon?

Postby rock0100 on Mon May 04, 2009 8:55 am

I know Ben Gordon shoots A LOT, but I think he could be a very good triangle PG. He has a great outside shot and it would give us a better pg option then anything we have right now.

The offseason, for us, is hopefully still a LONG ways away, but I think it would be a very good trade for both the Lakers and the Bulls. The Lakers would have to sign somebody like Antonio McDyess in the offseason also to give us a backup big man but that is very possible.

The Bulls would start:

Derrick Rose
John Salmons
Luol Deng
Lamar Odom
Joakim Noah

The Lakers would start:

Ben Gordon
Kobe Bryant
Trevor Ariza
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum

I know it is still a long ways away, but would be a nice situation as Ben Gordon could really help Kobe out in the backcourt and he barely turned 26 last month.
rock0100

Re: Could the Lakers sign and trade Odom for Ben Gordon?

Postby nameant on Mon May 04, 2009 9:04 am

Oh yeah, Ben Gordon is the perfect triangle PG. Plays great defense and his bball IQ is off the charts.
nameant

Postby rock0100 on Mon May 04, 2009 9:27 am

nameant wrote:Oh yeah, Ben Gordon is the perfect triangle PG. Plays great defense and his bball IQ is off the charts.

You are right, your idea of Shannon Brown would be much better. :man10:

No wonder you have so many posts, you love knocking other people's ideas. I enjoy your sarcasm though, it makes me laugh.
rock0100

Postby therealdeal on Mon May 04, 2009 9:29 am

Sure, but why would they?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby rock0100 on Mon May 04, 2009 9:33 am

therealdeal wrote:Sure, but why would they?

It is just my opinion, but I think the Lakers could use a better starting PG as opposed to Odom who is the 6th man when Pau and Bynum are healthy. As one poster suggested in another post, Hinrich would be great as well, but who knows.
rock0100

Postby therealdeal on Mon May 04, 2009 9:39 am

rock0100 wrote:

It is just my opinion, but I think the Lakers could use a better starting PG as opposed to Odom who is the 6th man when Pau and Bynum are healthy. As one poster suggested in another post, Hinrich would be great as well, but who knows.

Then who comes in off the bench and :
A. Plays big defense.
B. Secures rebounds.
C. Starts the break.
D. Runs the offense.

Lamar does more for this team than Ben Gordon could as a starter. Besides, it's not always about getting the best starting lineup, it's about having the best balanced team and Lamar makes this team the best in the NBA in terms of big man rotation and depth.

It's not that I don't like the idea of Gordon on this team, but he just really isn't needed. If he was cheap and would fill in for Kobe off the bench it'd be great, but he's not, and he wont. Know what I mean?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Mon May 04, 2009 9:58 am

rock0100 wrote:
nameant wrote:Oh yeah, Ben Gordon is the perfect triangle PG. Plays great defense and his bball IQ is off the charts.

No wonder you have so many posts, you love knocking other people's ideas. I enjoy your sarcasm though, it makes me laugh.

Yeah that's exactly how I got all these posts. It's not like I knock other people's ideas all the time, just when they're bad. Shannon Brown is such a better fit at PG, not sure how you don't see it. Our trio for the foreseeable future is Kobe, Bynum, and Pau. We don't need a guy like Ben Gordon. He's a chucker who plays NO defense whatsoever, has no basketball IQ to speak of, terrible decision maker, poor passer, and needs the ball to be effective. How do you think a player like that fits into our system? I'll take my chances with Shannon Brown any day. And if you're going to sign and trade for any1 on the Bulls to be a triangle PG, it's Hinrich.
nameant

Postby rock0100 on Mon May 04, 2009 10:02 am

therealdeal wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

Then who comes in off the bench and :
A. Plays big defense.
B. Secures rebounds.
C. Starts the break.
D. Runs the offense.

Lamar does more for this team than Ben Gordon could as a starter. Besides, it's not always about getting the best starting lineup, it's about having the best balanced team and Lamar makes this team the best in the NBA in terms of big man rotation and depth.

It's not that I don't like the idea of Gordon on this team, but he just really isn't needed. If he was cheap and would fill in for Kobe off the bench it'd be great, but he's not, and he wont. Know what I mean?

The Lakers could sign a big man like Antonio McDyess and the move would move Derek Fisher to the bench to run the offense. Odom has been playing great recently, but I doubt the Lakers will keep a 10-12 million dollar per year 6th man.

Its good to discuss this with others though because it helps you see both sides more clearly. Thanks for discussing and not just bashing.

Hopefully we win the title and the only problem that we will have in the offseason will be keeping the team together. Can't wait for tonight. :jam2:
rock0100

Postby rock0100 on Mon May 04, 2009 10:15 am

nameant wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

Yeah that's exactly how I got all these posts. It's not like I knock other people's ideas all the time, just when they're bad. Shannon Brown is such a better fit at PG, not sure how you don't see it. Our trio for the foreseeable future is Kobe, Bynum, and Pau. We don't need a guy like Ben Gordon. He's a chucker who plays NO defense whatsoever, has no basketball IQ to speak of, terrible decision maker, poor passer, and needs the ball to be effective. How do you think a player like that fits into our system? I'll take my chances with Shannon Brown any day. And if you're going to sign and trade for any1 on the Bulls to be a triangle PG, it's Hinrich.

Hey I would love Hinrich, you will get no argument from me there, I just don't think Chicago will resign Gordon and they may want to get something for him. Hinrich they supposedly tried to move this year with no luck.

I like Shannon Brown too, but we haven't seen enough out of him...yet. If he shows that he can continue to improve his game then I would love for him to be our starter, but that is a big if.

I will agree with you that Gordon is not great on defense, but come on, Derek Fisher is not as good a defender this year as he was in the past. Plus, Ben Gordon, was often matched up against SGs that were bigger then he is. You say Ben Gordon is a chucker that makes bad decisions, yet he was the best player Chicago had during the series against Boston. He shot 45 % from the field for the ENTIRE season and he shot 41% from behind the arc. Can you imagine the limitless open looks that Ben Gordon would get on this Lakers squad.

Atleast this time you explained your opinion though instead of just being sarcastic. I see why you don't like Gordon, I guess our opinion on him is just different. In years past I would have agreed with you, but this entire year Ben Gordon really impressed me.
rock0100

Postby nameant on Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 am

Fish isn't a particularly good defender, but he's a smart defender. He knows who to muscle and who to play off of. Let's be real, some PGs you just can't stop, not Fish's fault. It doesn't matter who Ben is guarding, b/c he doesn't play defense. As far as being Chicago's best player in that series, it's really debatable. There were times that he was killing his team's play. He shot horribly, and considering that's all he does, it takes other guys out of their games. As much good as he did, he did just as much bad to cancel that out.
nameant

Postby TT24 on Mon May 04, 2009 10:35 am

Hell naw!!!! All Ben does is shoot. We have enough shooters on this team. Lamar is of of our best defenders and he does SO MUCH for this team, something that can't be said about Gordon. The only thing Gordon has on LO is scoring, and since we have Kobe, Pau, and Drew, we don't need him.
TT24

Postby therealdeal on Mon May 04, 2009 11:11 am

rock0100 wrote:
The Lakers could sign a big man like Antonio McDyess and the move would move Derek Fisher to the bench to run the offense. Odom has been playing great recently, but I doubt the Lakers will keep a 10-12 million dollar per year 6th man.

Its good to discuss this with others though because it helps you see both sides more clearly. Thanks for discussing and not just bashing.

Hopefully we win the title and the only problem that we will have in the offseason will be keeping the team together. Can't wait for tonight. :jam2:

The Lakers signing McDyess would be great, but he still can't do the things Lamar can. Namely running the floor and the offense. Can you see Antonio McDyess up at the three point line directing traffic? Or igniting the fast break, bringing the ball up the floor? Not really.

And Fish to the bench would be a nice addition to the bench except he may struggle in the up tempo style and he's not great at running the offense, although he's good at running within the offense.

The Lakers wont keep Lamar for 10 mil a year, and I'm not sure if he'd ask for that. Maybe a 10 mil average, starting at around 7.5- 8.5 mil for a 3-4 year long period. If he asks for 10 mil a year he's not staying. This year he's making ~11 mil. He's said he'd take a pay cut, so I'm guessing near the mark I said earlier.

Winning the title is a big part of how much Lamar will ask for, or even if he'll stay. He has a lot of investments around the city and the publicity/ endorsements he'd get from a championship will cover a lot of money that he'd usually get from a contract.

And no bashing. From what I've seen you're a respectful poster that presents his arguments well, congrats on being a classy. :kobe1:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ZenMaster4President on Mon May 04, 2009 12:01 pm

The under appreciation of Lamar Odom on every Lakers' forum is off the charts. Bulls would pack Gordon's bags and pay for his ticket, before we can regret.

Come on. I get the idea of strengthening our PG spot ( even though I think Shannon just might be the answer ), but not making uneven trades.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby rock0100 on Mon May 04, 2009 1:03 pm

ZenMaster4President wrote:The under appreciation of Lamar Odom on every Lakers' forum is off the charts. Bulls would pack Gordon's bags and pay for his ticket, before we can regret.

Come on. I get the idea of strengthening our PG spot ( even though I think Shannon just might be the answer ), but not making uneven trades.

Don't get me wrong, i do not under appreciate Lamar. I think if he could play aggressive every game, the way he did against Utah and the way he was playing around the trade deadline, Lamar would be our second best player. I only bring up trading him because I have a feeling that the Lakers will let him walk this summer and I would much rather get something for him then to just let him walk away. I know Odom is a very good player, he is a GREAT player when he wants to be, but I just don't see the Lakers giving up so much money for their 6th man.

If he takes 7.5 to 8.5 million like therealdeal suggests then I would be extremely happy. I just don't know that he will. Many teams, especially in the east would be willing to give Odom more money then us and also offer him a starting PF spot. I guess it will come down to Odoms other sources of income in LA and whether Odom will want to take a bit less to continue competing for championships.
rock0100

Postby khmrP on Mon May 04, 2009 3:38 pm

rock dont let this Bos. series fool you, Gordon isn't the answer and like others suggested Bulls would get on that trade so Fast they send Gordon here even before the INK drys on the trade papers.....I myself would prefer Hinrich/Fillers for Odom/Farmar....Bulls get somewhat of a big low post guy as Odom doesn't post up much but hes better then anything they got right now and a "CHEAP" backup. we get a big PG, I was impressed that Bulls were able to get away with putting Hinrich on Pierce at times and fillers could be another GEM given Mitch recent streak. I am on board with Brown but I dont feel he is our future starting PG, he will be much better coming of the bench.
khmrP

Postby dj vitus on Sun May 10, 2009 9:24 pm

No, Gordon is worth a LOT more, but he still doesn't answer our defensive problems.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby leakbrewergator on Thu May 14, 2009 7:08 am

I cannot stand the under appreciation for LO. It's really starting to get to me. If the Bulls came up to us and offered Gordon for LO, I wouldn't even hesitate in tuning them down.

Miami ThreeTARDS- Duh Wayne 'Fraid, Piss Posh, LeBrat Shames
leakbrewergator

Postby knm131 on Thu May 14, 2009 8:05 am

rock0100 wrote:I know Ben Gordon shoots A LOT, but I think he could be a very good triangle PG. He has a great outside shot and it would give us a better pg option then anything we have right now.

The offseason, for us, is hopefully still a LONG ways away, but I think it would be a very good trade for both the Lakers and the Bulls. The Lakers would have to sign somebody like Antonio McDyess in the offseason also to give us a backup big man but that is very possible.

The Bulls would start:

Derrick Rose
John Salmons
Luol Deng
Lamar Odom
Joakim Noah

The Lakers would start:

Ben Gordon
Kobe Bryant
Trevor Ariza
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum

I know it is still a long ways away, but would be a nice situation as Ben Gordon could really help Kobe out in the backcourt and he barely turned 26 last month.

No offense but this is a really really horrible idea.

Basically, you're saying sign Lamar Odom on the cheap so you can have Ben Gordon at a very high price. What good does that do?

So Ben Gordon is going to be a free agent this summer and he is currently making $6.4M.

Let's say Gordon is willing to sign anywhere in the $6.4M to $8.5M price range. Ummm ... why would you want to trade Lamar Odom, one of the top rebounders in the NBA, our facilitator, great passer, good defense, at THAT price for a guard who won't get nearly as many shots in LA as he would in Chicago who has no scoring threat? A real numbskull move that would be.

So ok, let's say Lamar just want to make the big bucks and you S/T him for $9M-$12M+. Why pay Ben Gordon THAT much money?

This doesn't even get close to representing this idea: :bang: :bang: :bang:
knm131

Postby JSM on Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 am

Gordon shot the Bulls out of more games than he won for them. He thinks he's Kobe...but he's not.

No thanks. He and the $10m a year salary he wants can look elsewhere for a next stop.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas