Crazy idea

Crazy idea

Postby sho on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:32 pm

If we lose LO, I say make a run at David West. New Orleans is desparate to get under the luxury tax this season. And unless I'm mistaken, Morrison's contract isn't guaranteed. Offer Morrison and Yue for him. He'd still get starter minutes while Pau is playing center and could be a solid player in the tri with his touch. Per ESPN's trade checker, NO would need to send another player, perhaps Rasual Butler as well.
sho

Re: Crazy idea

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:03 pm

I don't like it.

But I'd like to hear your attack plan on how to get him though.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby sho on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:01 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't like it.

But I'd like to hear your attack plan on how to get him though.

Well, ESPN Trade Checker has West's salary at roughly 2M with a trade exemption (I thought he was closer to 8...) and it would take Ammo to get West plus filler (R. Butler).

Per RGM Trade Check it's West for Ammo, Yue and Farmar. Both Ammo and Yue's contracts aren't fully guaranteed. NO can waive both right away and save money this year and get an expiring contract off the books for after the season. I'm not 100% sure waiving both Yue and Ammo get's them under the tax threshold, but it'll get them a lot closer. Plus with this trade, NO (If West's contract is around 8-9 mill like I think it is) will be taking back less in salary to start, then waiving Ammo and Yue, should be enough to get them under the threshold.

Either way, I think adding West with either giving up 1 bench player (Real GM) or nothing (ESPN) would be a great addition. Heck, I'd even throw in Powell, just to give them another big if it NO wanted a big back. West is a talent and while not as versatile as LO, nor with the range, he'd be one of the better replacement options for LO, IF LO leaves. And with NO desperate to save money and get under the tax, I'd give it a shot.
sho

Postby eNlight on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:08 am

there is no way this is going to happen. it is like you said, a crazy idea. this is not nba 2k9.
eNlight

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:00 am

Sorry but that makes no sense. You realize you just offered Adam Morrison (perpetual 12th man), Sun Yue (not even a 12th man) and Jordan Farmar (3rd year PG that plays like a rookie) for a border line all-star? Josh Powell may be a solid player, but he's not even close to West and not even close in value.

Not to mention the Lakers would have less than 12 men on the team which is against the rules. I like your thinking, but there's no chance.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby sho on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:49 am

therealdeal wrote:Sorry but that makes no sense. You realize you just offered Adam Morrison (perpetual 12th man), Sun Yue (not even a 12th man) and Jordan Farmar (3rd year PG that plays like a rookie) for a border line all-star? Josh Powell may be a solid player, but he's not even close to West and not even close in value.

Not to mention the Lakers would have less than 12 men on the team which is against the rules. I like your thinking, but there's no chance.

I understand that if we are looking at talent in versus talent out, this is a horrible trade. But trades in the NBA aren't about equal talent. We can all rattle off trades where the talent level is completely one-sided. And if NO is looking for contracts that are voidable (which they supposedly are) what do they care if the talent level is equal if they are just going to waive the player? They just want salaries to dump. If NO wanted equal talent, they are plenty of other options out there, but if they want to avoid paying taxes, there aren't a lot of options to get talent, plus players to waive to get them under the tax.

And of course the Lakers would sign a player or two to the vet min. to get them the minimum players needed. As the Summer wears on, it shouldn't be too hard to find an average player to sign to the min.
sho

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:54 am

^ Come on. It's not about equal talent, but you don't give up so much for s**t. I understand where you're coming from, but you just never do that. New Orleans isn't going to give up one of their best players for crap because it takes away any chance they had of being competitive. No competition means no ticket sales, means no income.

They just aren't going to do it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby sho on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Come on. It's not about equal talent, but you don't give up so much for s**t. I understand where you're coming from, but you just never do that. New Orleans isn't going to give up one of their best players for crap because it takes away any chance they had of being competitive. No competition means no ticket sales, means no income.

They just aren't going to do it.

I understand what you are saying, but we've seen plenty of deals where it's flaming bags of crap for an all-star. Off the top of my head I can think of three trades in the last 24 months were it was flaming bags of crap for either an all-star or a quality player. It's what the team values more, money or winning. From the reports I'm reading, NO needs to save money and it reads to me as if they have put that ahead of winning. I guessing they will trade for flaming bags of crap, it's just a matter of what they give up to get that crap. And with Ammo (and Yue to a lesser extent) being non-guaranteed, the Lakers have a valuable bag of crap to offer.
sho

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:23 pm

^ Name me one trade that is similar to this scenario.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby sho on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Name me one trade that is similar to this scenario.

1--Shaq, an all-star for two flaming bags of crap, the big salary PHX got back will either retire or get bought out. All to save money for PHX.

2--Camby, a DPOY candidate for a 2nd round pick. To save Denver some money.

3--Pau, an all-star, to the Lakers so Memphis could save money

4--'Sheed, an all-star, to Detroit so Atl could save money.

I could list more, but it's late and I'm tired.
sho

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:58 am

^ The only trade there that gives a good team a good player is the Miami to Phoenix trade. Otherwise, they are trades that give a great player on a rebuilding team to a good team.

New Orleans is still competitive, they are not about to give away their second best player for nothing. They are not yet that desperate. They are not yet rebuilding because they have young solid pieces to build around.

It's not happening.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby rocco on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:04 pm

IT'S REALY CRAZY IDEA.
rocco

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:25 pm

Hornets have all of a sudden decided to start spending, so the whole deal with them because they're in a dire financial situation theory goes out the window. It's a legit issue, but for whatever reason, they seem to not be worried about it any longer.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas