Gary Payton

Gary Payton

Postby Crazy LA Fan 14 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:27 pm

Any news or chance of him coming back to LA?
Last edited by Crazy LA Fan 14 on Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Die Hard LA Laker AND Clipper Fan!
Crazy LA Fan 14

Postby quitkthanx on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:41 pm

another great "trade rumor" thread with no rumor.... and there's already a GP thread here. Stop polluting
quitkthanx

Postby Sirron on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:44 pm

Even though he'd do a decent job, I just don't see it.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Re: Gary Payton

Postby Savage1 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:55 pm

Crazy LA Fan 14 wrote:Any news or chance of him coming back to LA?

I think Emplay addressed this recently in a column...I just can't find it now. Basically, if I remember right, he said that Gary was interested, but Mitch said thanks, but no thanks. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.
Savage1

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:34 am

mitch is an idiot...hes prolly the best available PG at the right price and for a short amount of years....he already knows the triangle and he can play D on the other west guards like nash and parker....stupid stupid mitch
FabFourLakers

Postby KB24 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:37 am

FabFourLakers wrote:mitch is an idiot...hes prolly the best available PG at the right price and for a short amount of years....he already knows the triangle and he can play D on the other west guards like nash and parker....stupid stupid mitch

Have you ever seen GP in the last 2-3 years? Play D? Knows the triangle?
Best available PG?

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:45 am

KB8@CL wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:mitch is an idiot...hes prolly the best available PG at the right price and for a short amount of years....he already knows the triangle and he can play D on the other west guards like nash and parker....stupid stupid mitch

Best available PG?

I think ur asking questions i just answered. He put the clamps when it counted on guys like Francis, Parker and Cassell/Hudson when he was with us...the only time he didnt was against Billups. Payton is DURABLE, having played in all 82 games for the Lakers in his one season here...he knows the triangle offense or has some knowledge of it (better than DA), hes a big guard which Phil likes, and hes at that stage in his career where he doesnt hafta be the #1 option or even #2 option on the team...if he can produce 13 pts and 6 assists for us a game...then thats a productive season from him...

and yes he is the best available PG....are u saying derek anderson is what we need? an injury prone player who has played what 61 games in the last 2 seasons? Another MAYBE player? atleast if we got payton we'd KNOW what we were getting....if u can name another PG out there who is still available that is BETTER than Payton, let me know
FabFourLakers

Postby d.carter4kobe on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:46 am

sirronstuff wrote:Even though he'd do a decent job, I just don't see it.
d.carter4kobe

Postby slimjim on Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:27 pm

the glove > da

da, injury prone and can't shoot a jumper to save his life. we need a point guard that can consistently shoot the open J.
slimjim

Postby KB24 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:30 pm

slimjim wrote:the glove > da

da, injury prone and can't shoot a jumper to save his life. we need a point guard that can consistently shoot the open J.

Please if you have little idea don´t make such comments. DA shot nearly 40% of his 3s last year and he is a WAY BETTER shooter than Payton. Payton can´t hit a jumper to save the future of human being.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby KB24 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:35 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:I think ur asking questions i just answered. He put the clamps when it counted on guys like Francis, Parker and Cassell/Hudson when he was with us...the only time he didnt was against Billups. Payton is DURABLE, having played in all 82 games for the Lakers in his one season here...he knows the triangle offense or has some knowledge of it (better than DA), hes a big guard which Phil likes, and hes at that stage in his career where he doesnt hafta be the #1 option or even #2 option on the team...if he can produce 13 pts and 6 assists for us a game...then thats a productive season from him...

and yes he is the best available PG....are u saying derek anderson is what we need? an injury prone player who has played what 61 games in the last 2 seasons? Another MAYBE player? atleast if we got payton we'd KNOW what we were getting....if u can name another PG out there who is still available that is BETTER than Payton, let me know

please..Payton couldn´t defend ANYONE in the last 2 years. Its ridiculous to say he could challenge Parker, Francis or whoever. ANYONE could shoot the lights up against our cancer Payton. And NO he is not the best PG available. Marco Jaric is better than Payton, Duhon is better than Payton and even Derek Anderson is a better player than Payton if healthy. We saw how GP sucks in the triangle. Payton has only one advantage and thats durability but I would rather have a better player for 65 games then a sucky one for 82.
Payton sucks period. He is a backup right now and is not the old good player. Simple as that. period.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby flipogb on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:20 pm

:man2:
flipogb

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:37 am

Payotn can defend now, and that's nothin cuz he's 37 years old, he's still The Glove!!!
Sign him Mitch! I don't wanna see Vujacic as our starting PG!!! Sign Payton & Lue !!!
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby KB24 on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:44 am

The Kobe Era 2K5 wrote:Payotn can defend now, and that's nothin cuz he's 37 years old, he's still The Glove!!!
Sign him Mitch! I don't wanna see Vujacic as our starting PG!!! Sign Payton & Lue !!!

No bro. Payton is butter at best. The times of the glove are over. Payton sucks. Have you forgotten how he played in the playoffs as a Laker?

KB24
Site Admin

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:24 am

KB8@CL wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:I think ur asking questions i just answered. He put the clamps when it counted on guys like Francis, Parker and Cassell/Hudson when he was with us...the only time he didnt was against Billups. Payton is DURABLE, having played in all 82 games for the Lakers in his one season here...he knows the triangle offense or has some knowledge of it (better than DA), hes a big guard which Phil likes, and hes at that stage in his career where he doesnt hafta be the #1 option or even #2 option on the team...if he can produce 13 pts and 6 assists for us a game...then thats a productive season from him...

please..Payton couldn´t defend ANYONE in the last 2 years. Its ridiculous to say he could challenge Parker, Francis or whoever. ANYONE could shoot the lights up against our cancer Payton. And NO he is not the best PG available. Marco Jaric is better than Payton, Duhon is better than Payton and even Derek Anderson is a better player than Payton if healthy. We saw how GP sucks in the triangle. Payton has only one advantage and thats durability but I would rather have a better player for 65 games then a sucky one for 82.
Payton sucks period. He is a backup right now and is not the old good player. Simple as that. period.

HA! ur saying CHRIS DUHON is better than Payton? You cant be serious. And what makes u think DA is gonna put the clamps on the west PGs? U think he can keep up with the likes of nash, parker, terry, etc? At GP's age, hes doin pretty damn good. Even tho hes been reduced to 12 pts and 5 assists, he can STILL defend and hes DURABLE. What kind of thing is that to say that u'd rather have a bette rplayer for 65 games than someone for 82 gameS? OF COURSE we want our players to play all 82 games...why would u want them to miss any games? Atleast we know what we'd be getting with Payton, instead of ANOTHER maybe with DA....Payton is still very much a starter and he led that Celtics team last year whether u like it or not, even tho he wasnt their leading scorer, he made that team of youngsters believe in themselves...payton has LEADERSHIP skills which some of our young players probably need...and right now, we need a PG in the worst way, i know u dont want DEVEAN GEORGE handling the point, and we dont want LO or Kobe bringing the ball up and constantly bein pressured up the court...I dont know why u guys are hating on Payton so much but he would definitely fit our needs better than DA
FabFourLakers

Postby hulkst3r on Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:06 pm

The Kobe Era 2K5 wrote:Payotn can defend now, and that's nothin cuz he's 37 years old, he's still The Glove!!!

payton was no longer the glove for a long time...hes more like "the mitten"
hulkst3r

Postby xvanwilderx on Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:07 pm

hulkst3r wrote:

payton was no longer the glove for a long time...hes more like "the mitten"

lol
kobe for MVP!
xvanwilderx

Payton

Postby Pray for Laker Wins on Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:15 am

He is in talks to sign with the Suns and back-up Nash. :deal: He says he really wants to play there. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
The other kid piped in, "Hey what happened to the Lakers?" "We lost our way," I told them. "We just lost our way at the wrong time." I smiled, got in the car, and started the engine. I headed home.
Pray for Laker Wins

Re: Gary Payton

Postby Kingsama on Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:47 am

Crazy LA Fan 14 wrote:Any news or chance of him coming back to LA?

any chance you read the forums rules???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Rumors found in this category are factual.
2) Hypothitical trades belong in our Lakers Discussion forum, not here.
3) While we strongly recommend you supply a source, it is not absolutely required if it is not yet printed elsewhere.
4) Fabricated rumors are gounds for membership removal.

Quality, not Quantity.
Kingsama

Postby ajherrera23 on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:43 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:

Best available PG?

I think ur asking questions i just answered. He put the clamps when it counted on guys like Francis, Parker and Cassell/Hudson when he was with us...the only time he didnt was against Billups. Payton is DURABLE, having played in all 82 games for the Lakers in his one season here...he knows the triangle offense or has some knowledge of it (better than DA), hes a big guard which Phil likes, and hes at that stage in his career where he doesnt hafta be the #1 option or even #2 option on the team...if he can produce 13 pts and 6 assists for us a game...then thats a productive season from him...

good job on breaking it down
ajherrera23

Postby strikemode14 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:28 pm

I agree with Mitch. Thanks but no thanks. Doesn't fit with the triangle at all and is getting older. The only good thing about him is that he would fit in for the 07 plan perfectly.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby lakermike05 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:45 pm

say no 2 GP
lakermike05

Postby In The Key on Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:17 pm

If Mitch signed Aaron McKie, at least we're totally not contradicting ourselves by signing Payton. We're were headed, if Payton buckles down and actually learns the offense unlike a couple years ago when he was got up in the Fab Four show, he'll be great for us. However, what are the chances of him coming back? He probably hates Phil, hates the drama Kobe and the Lakers bring to his personal life, and he can't and wont win a ring in L.A. Be smart. Sign with Phoenix GP.

Official "LA Lakers will defeat Phoenix in Round One" Club. PM to join.

MoneyMike...KrazyIvan909...nameant...Massacre_184...magicmoment...KoBeXo8...Bballgirl85...Sharpshooter...Nezter...anyone else believe?
In The Key

Postby Mesomorph on Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:55 am

In The Key wrote:If Mitch signed Aaron McKie, at least we're totally not contradicting ourselves by signing Payton. We're were headed, if Payton buckles down and actually learns the offense unlike a couple years ago when he was got up in the Fab Four show, he'll be great for us. However, what are the chances of him coming back? He probably hates Phil, hates the drama Kobe and the Lakers bring to his personal life, and he can't and wont win a ring in L.A. Be smart. Sign with Phoenix GP.

not entirely. Payton doesn't hate Kobe, he hated the way LA traded his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] when he wanted to stay. he wanted to play there last year.

Now he might hate phil for trying to contain his game, then taking him out during certain times, but this is a business. Sometimes you got to work with people you don't like to get the job done. He was more pissed at Laker management though. He knew there wouldn't be no beef once Shaq left
Mesomorph

Postby DMK on Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:15 am

Mesomorph wrote:
In The Key wrote:If Mitch signed Aaron McKie, at least we're totally not contradicting ourselves by signing Payton. We're were headed, if Payton buckles down and actually learns the offense unlike a couple years ago when he was got up in the Fab Four show, he'll be great for us. However, what are the chances of him coming back? He probably hates Phil, hates the drama Kobe and the Lakers bring to his personal life, and he can't and wont win a ring in L.A. Be smart. Sign with Phoenix GP.

not entirely. Payton doesn't hate Kobe, he hated the way LA traded his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] when he wanted to stay. he wanted to play there last year.

Now he might hate phil for trying to contain his game, then taking him out during certain times, but this is a business. Sometimes you got to work with people you don't like to get the job done. He was more pissed at Laker management though. He knew there wouldn't be no beef once Shaq left

Thank you and well said :jam2: :bow:

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Next

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas