Getting a disgruntled allstar?

Postby LOUIE04 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:37 pm

Magloire!?!?!? NO!!! Im 100% sure that it is not him!!! I rather believe its Steve Francis than this cat!!!
LOUIE04

Postby BleedPurple&Gold on Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:12 pm

Posted @ basketballboards.net:

Another LG insider who seems to have some credibility has posted this today:

-Boozer deal is dead

-confirms the Bender trade

-says LA likes Granger and May

-says another deal in the works for power 4

-disgruntled all star is not Francis, Magloire

http://forums.lakersground.net/view...ighlight=#42791

If not francis or mags I would not be surprised if its Z... wouldn't be too thrilled, but not surprised either. I pray its brand or KG (pipe) ... I really hope its a semi-young big. Brand would be ideal, but Z might be the obvious option.
BleedPurple&Gold

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:07 pm

Anyone think it could be a certain PG that is never happy. One that likes LA. And the same one that has been wanting to play for the Lakers for a couple of years now.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LukeWalton on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:19 pm

J Kidd.....id love to have him but i doubt its him....thered be no pt in goig after Chris Paul if were going after Kidd. I think its gonna be a big
LukeWalton

Re: Getting a disgruntled allstar?

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:27 pm

BleedPurple&Gold wrote:I'm sure you all have heard about the possibility of getting a allstar, so I'd like to renew the idea w/ some more info..... (sorry if this already has a thread but i couldn't find it)

The following was posted @ LG by Chrome Hearts

Unfortunately for some, and fortunately for me, my days as a so-called "insider" are done. I've never claimed to be one. My only contribution came when some info was relayed to me during a dinner I had with an old friend of mine. Although I would like to spew everything my friend and I share through our e-mail exchanges, I feel it's unnecessary to do so since I'm not seeking any "credit" or "props".

I saw the repercussions first hand when rumors are posted. I do not want to get caught up in it again. It's neither my profession nor duty to speculate what the Lakers might do. There are plenty of journalists and other insiders on this site that will provide valuable info.

With that said, I leave this subject with this parting summary of the latest e-mail exchange that I had with my friend. I feel some responsibility to tie the knot on this subject so here it is:

Mitch still wants that "disgruntled all-star" on the Lakers. Phil is a little hesitant about this player but is willing to roll with it if Mitch insists. Phil is not going to resign or throw a hissy fit if Kupchak does indeed to deal for this player. This player is very interested in coming to the Lakers. His agent has been in contact with Mitch. Whether or not a deal gets done depends on this player's current team and its willingness to deal.

Contrary to PJ's ravings about Butler's ability on the court; Butler is the Lakers main trading chip this summer. Getting this player might involve giving up Caron + draft pick (10) + expiring contracts but the Lakers want to try to keep the draft pick (10). The Lakers are hoping to give Caron + expiring contracts for this player while using the Number 10 + other expiring contracts to trade up the draft.

I know what you are thinking. There's no way the Lakers will move up the draft unless Caron is included in the deal. But what I'm relaying to you is "best case" scenario, meaning the scenario that the Lakers want.

Mitch is working VERY diligently this offseason. No stones will be left unturned. Just realize one thing if nothing monumental happens; IT WAS NOT DUE TO NEGLIGENCE. As I've always alluded to in earlier posts, it will take both parties to agree to a deal. Just because Mitch proposes a deal, doesn't mean another team has to accept it. It should be an exciting offseason for all Lakers fans and I earnestly hope that everything will go the Lakers way and dominance is restored in La La Land.

I have gone through the 2005 allstar teams to discover who this "disgruntled allstar who did not make the playoffs" might be and here is what I have found as the ONLY possibilities::::

Grant Hill, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, LeBron James, and Kevin Garnett

now, its possible its referring to someone who was ONCE an allstar, but considering only this past year these are the only possibilites. (LBJ23 is more pipe than KG, I don't c why we would want hill... so its most likely either Z or KG... most likely Z b/c it said phil doesn't especially want him, but he would role w/ him. i don't c why anyone would NOT want KG. )

thoughts?

(P.S. many @ LG think its steve francis)

Who ever it is...I hope they come quickly and are a really good help because the Lakers need that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Francis...infact when I first read this in the old post I was thinking either Francis or KG...I believe both are reachable...KG would cost more than Chrome is saying and Butler probably wouldn't be in that deal unless Odom is in it but even then I'd think they'd just want Odom and #4 mainly...if we got the #4 from New Orleans so...

But going back to Francis...the rumors on him have been showing that Butler was kind of the key stone in those trade rumors and it seems like Phil would be a little concerned with working with him and/or Kobe so...

I BET IT IS FRANCIS AND I HOPE THAT IF IT IS THAT KOBE CAN GET THINGS WORKED OUT AND THEY CAN GO FAR...and if it is KG...I HOPE THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Laker Link

Postby Sirron on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:15 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Anyone think it could be a certain PG that is never happy. One that likes LA. And the same one that has been wanting to play for the Lakers for a couple of years now.

I like this possibility, but I thought he was warming up to things after making the playoffs with Carter and Jefferson back from injury. I see how this could work, and how they could also run the pants off of some teams, but how could they afford to get him. Isn't he making max money. We'd have to trade half the team, including Odom, because you know they wouldn't take Grant.

I don't see being able to add another top level All Star. We'd be lucky to get a former All Star with what we have to work with.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby tuna629 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:27 pm

from what i've remembered from the old thread, the poster mentioned that the player was on a team that didnt make the playoffs, so i think francis makes the most sense.
tuna629

Postby DMK on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:38 pm

Jason Kidd......

Id LOVE to have him on the lakers......boy would i ever.

However, his Contract is as big as space mountain!

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Danny Ainge on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:39 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Anyone think it could be a certain PG that is never happy. One that likes LA. And the same one that has been wanting to play for the Lakers for a couple of years now.
If we could get this guy by only giving up Brian Grant Chucky Atkins and Caron Butler, then maybe I'd listen and care.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby tuna629 on Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:01 am

hey. just a thought. can it be marbury? he's certainly not happy, former all star, and fills a need (?). that would suck though.
tuna629

Postby EQualizer on Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:32 am

tuna629 wrote:hey. just a thought. can it be marbury? he's certainly not happy, former all star, and fills a need (?). that would suck though.

he doesnt really fill a need...we need a stable, unselfish pg.

marbury..is not a stable..unselfish pg

kobe and marbury would get into some huge fights or something :boxing1:
EQualizer

Postby BleedPurple&Gold on Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:43 am

This posted @ LG as a summary of what Brock, an insider, has said.
Emplay has posted and believes that Brocks info seems legit as it matches up w/ some of his.

Here's a stab at summarizing/interpreting at least some of what Brock has posted.

1. Mitch has thrown some bait to Minn and Indi for KG and Artest, respectively, but no luck.

2. Lakers are targeting two other disgruntled All-Stars, but negotiations are preliminary. Steve Francis is not one of the targets. Otherwise, Brock left this nugget out there with few, if any, other hints. He said that discussions were at such an early stage that he couldn't divulge anything else, and that there really wasn't anything to get excited about yet.

3. Discussions have begun/heated up for a free agent signing/S&T/trade for a PF or C, and Brock is excited about this possibility and surprised that info regarding this possibility hasn't leaked. This may or may not involve one of the two disgruntled All-Stars mentioned above in 2. My guess is that the Lakers are pursuing Tyson Chandler. Although he'll probably never be an all-star, he would be perfect for the defense that the Lakers want to use next year (according to Brock, they want to have a team of long-armed, athletic defenders who can switch almost interchangeably and get lots of deflections), and would fit the Rodman rebounding/defense role exceptionally well. If Curry is healthy (he was supposed to be tested this month to figure out if he has the same possibly fatal heart condition that Reggie Lewis had, or if he instead has the type of treatable heart condition that Olajuwon played with), Chicago will not want to pay both of them the salaries they're requesting, and Curry clearly has more upside (although he's probably too lazy to ever reach his potential). Plus, Chandler is injury-prone and probably wants to move back to L.A.

4. Lakers are pursuing Eddie Griffin for all or part of the MLE. He may or may not be the PF or C discussed above in 3. Although Eddie isn't an All-Star and probably will never be one, he is very talented and could fit in well as part of the defensive plan for next year.

5. Lakers are in serious discussions to trade up, probably with Charlotte for the 5th pick. There are also ongoing discussions to trade up with another team, which would involve the Lakers swallowing a big contract (i.e., at least two years left for lots o' money). This second possibility is either New Orleans for the 4th pick, or Portland for the 6th pick (after the swap with Utah of 3 and 6 goes through). My original guess was Portland (Ratliff), but Brock suggested that we're not getting the 6th pick. The Lakers had been in discussions with Utah to trade up, but those discussions died. Discussions also died with either NO or POR (but are ongoing with the other one).

6. Brock loves Chris Paul, but Utah will probably nab him with the 3 pick. If the Lakers get the 4, 5 or 6 picks, they would probably take Green if he's available. If he's not, the preference among PGs is Deron Williams, then Felton (the Lakers rate Jack 4th among PGs, but rate him quite a bit lower than Felton). For non-PGs, Phil likes Granger and Graham, while Mitch likes Sean May (hopefully May is not chosen by the Lakers at 10 or higher). The Lakers like Diogu, but only if he falls to 17.

7. If the Lakers don't land a starting quality power player, Odom will play PF next year, and Bender will be his back-up. If the Lakers do land a good big, Odom plays the point SF (aka, the Scottie Pippen position).

8. The Bender trade is a done deal. 50/50 chance we trade the 17 pick. Bender is healthy, according to Brock, and will be a good weak-side defender for the Lakers. Brock also compares Bender to Mihm -- he needs a different environment to develop.

9. There won't be any trades with Utah (for Boozer or a draft pick). Apparently, Boozer wants to be traded to the Lakers, but neither team is interested in a trade. Brock also hasn't heard of any serious trade discussions with Toronto.

10. Lakers aren't interested in Kwame.

11. Lakers aren't getting Jaric or Dalembert.

12. The rumored labor deal will make it more difficult to complete trades by July 1 because there won't be the same pressure to finalize rosters before a possible lockout.

13. The Lakers' assistants will be Hamblen, Rambis and Shaw. Phil seems to be publicly pushing for Pippen to also join the bench, but he may or may not actually be pushing the Lakers to hire Pippen.

Brock -- sorry for any misinterpretation. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for giving hope to/entertaining all of us Laker fanatics on this website. Also, what do you think of (1) Douthit and the possibility of him being on the roster next year and contributing, and (2) Sasha developing in a couple of years into a starter or 6th man?

Emplay/Lionel/Da Ocho/anyone else with inside info: Any additional inside scoop on any of the above that you can share?
BleedPurple&Gold

Postby Sirron on Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:35 am

tuna629 wrote:hey. just a thought. can it be marbury? he's certainly not happy, former all star, and fills a need (?). that would suck though.

\
But, if Isiah Thomas is willing to take B. Grants contract in exchange, I say "yes". Marbury would be easier to move on than Grant. :jam2:
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby BleedPurple&Gold on Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:40 am

be patient w/ grant, wait another yr. and we can get a good player w/ him. a far better player than we would be able to get for him now.
BleedPurple&Gold

Postby bigmouth_dude on Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:55 am

The word ' disgruntled' does not give a ringing endorsement whoever this guy is. I initially thought it could be Ron Artest, but Pacers made the playoffs but Ron did not. About Marbury and Francis....geez I might give up watching Lakers if Mitch gets one of these guys.
Last edited by bigmouth_dude on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmouth_dude

Postby Papas on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:02 am

Me hoping it's Elton Brand...
Realistic? I don't know..
But he did miss the playoffs...and doesn't feel as pipe as KG..
And..that's a very big contract!

Me thinkin' it's SAR..or Magloire..combined with their respective lotto picks..

Me like Big Al Harrington as well, Sky mentioned him as possible in another trade. But, yet another SF/PF...

Oh well..who cares what I think anyway? Just had to get my thoughts out..or..I don't know.. I should problably get something to eat..
Papas

Postby kobe4ever on Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:23 pm

i juss hope dat itz an all- star disgruntled PF or PG
Lakers record (2005~2008) when im at the staple center :
when i drink sprite : 12-3
when i drink coke : 2-6
kobe4ever

Postby getbignow on Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:42 pm

i'm new here but if we get it, does chromey tell us?

no one has said LBJ
he didn't make the playoffs, he hasnt hesistated about being vocal in personnel changes and he looked pissed more often than not at the end of regular season

it also appears that he actually respects Kobe, and his public affection is more than just flirting with the industry, to be honest it seems more probable than Kevin McHale getting rid of KG

Plus how great would this be for the league, this could be one of those off the book compromises in the CBA
-you bring instant credibility to the image of Kobe Bryant-because of the dissolving of the soon to come rivalry between these two stars--because Kobe would be seen as the villian everytime, and in the long run that creates less hype

throwing it out there for someone to reel back in
getbignow

Postby abeer3 on Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:20 pm

getbignow wrote:i'm new here but if we get it, does chromey tell us?

no one has said LBJ
he didn't make the playoffs, he hasnt hesistated about being vocal in personnel changes and he looked pissed more often than not at the end of regular season

it also appears that he actually respects Kobe, and his public affection is more than just flirting with the industry, to be honest it seems more probable than Kevin McHale getting rid of KG

Plus how great would this be for the league, this could be one of those off the book compromises in the CBA
-you bring instant credibility to the image of Kobe Bryant-because of the dissolving of the soon to come rivalry between these two stars--because Kobe would be seen as the villian everytime, and in the long run that creates less hype

i'll reel it in. lbj is going NOWHERE. not only would cleveland demand a young top five talent in return (like kobe), they'd probably want more than that. just think about the deathblow that the cavaliers would suffer if they gave up lebron for anything less than an mvp candidate. kg is much more likely, and still highly improbable.

if this whole "disgruntled all star" (i find it funny how the term has caught on around here) theory is to be believed, i think people need to stick with the lower end of the totem pole. i'm pretty sure that kobe and lamar are staying put, and if that's the case, any really big time player isn't coming to la.
abeer3

Postby KB24 on Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:11 am

abeer3 wrote:
getbignow wrote:i'm new here but if we get it, does chromey tell us?

no one has said LBJ

i'll reel it in. lbj is going NOWHERE. not only would cleveland demand a young top five talent in return (like kobe), they'd probably want more than that. just think about the deathblow that the cavaliers would suffer if they gave up lebron for anything less than an mvp candidate. kg is much more likely, and still highly improbable.

if this whole "disgruntled all star" (i find it funny how the term has caught on around here) theory is to be believed, i think people need to stick with the lower end of the totem pole. i'm pretty sure that kobe and lamar are staying put, and if that's the case, any really big time player isn't coming to la.
:bow:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

re: trade rumors

Postby ZenMaster on Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:56 am

Thanks for posting that article, BP&G.....interesting stuff, indeed.

Chandler (trade) and/or Griffin (MLE)?...hell YEAH, I'll take it.

Also....like it says, if discussions with Utah, NO, Toronto and Portland to move up in the draft really have died....that basically leaves Charlotte (#5). Still not bad in my book.

Bender + a solid PG (draft) + one of the above guys (or both)?... :man4:

My only concern is if we have to part with both Butler AND Odom to get it all done...Butler is obvious (Bender), but the part about Chandler, what will Chicago be asking for in return? I guess this is tied to whether or not KG or Artest get moved.....I sure would like to see what Odom can do for us at the SF spot, hope he can stay.

On the other hand, sometimes you have to make sacrifices, as painful as they may be....and we may have to sacrifice a lot here, in order to address all of our needs.

Thoughts?
ZenMaster

Postby kobe4ever on Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:05 pm

First i will list all da all stars dat didnt make to da playoffs.

Marbury
Randolf
Garnett
Brand
Maggette
Richardson
Davis
Francis
Magloire
Illgauskas
James
Bosh
Rose

they already said it wasnt francis or magloire so i think da most realistic players they are getting are marbury, bosh, or brand
Lakers record (2005~2008) when im at the staple center :
when i drink sprite : 12-3
when i drink coke : 2-6
kobe4ever

Postby gill on Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:04 pm

kobe4ever wrote:First i will list all da all stars dat didnt make to da playoffs.

Marbury
Randolf
Garnett
Brand
Maggette
Richardson
Davis
Francis
Magloire
Illgauskas
James
Bosh
Rose

they already said it wasnt francis or magloire so i think da most realistic players they are getting are marbury, bosh, or brand

As a Raptors fan, I know Bosh ain't going nowhere. Bosh is the new face of the Raptors and Babcock has made it clear he wants to build the team around him. He already made the mistake of trading Vince Carter for peanuts and malaria... I don't think Babcock can afford to trade with us for scrubs. Toronto's gonna be a riot if that ever happens.

Rose is more of a possibility. Babcock's been trying to move him since last season (last rumor I heard was Rose for Eddie Jones). I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Lakers uniform though. He really seems to take a liking to Kobe.
gill

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:45 pm

I dont think Francis and Kobe would work to tell you the truth. We already have 2 people on our team that mainly need the ball to be as effective as expected, so we dont need a third.

We need a defensive, pass first PG, not one who is the complete opposite.

Lakers really need to get either Paul or Felton in the draft, they both have the skill and WILL be passing the ball to the Kobester in their first year.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:47 pm

kobe4ever wrote:First i will list all da all stars dat didnt make to da playoffs.

Marbury-doubt it
Randolf-like i sayd maybe
Garnett- who knows maybe
Brand-very well could be
Maggette- we have enuff SF'S
Richardson-lol we would we need jrich
Davis-doubt it
Francis- not a power player
Magloire- dont know
Illgauskas- all star but a power player doubt it
James- not a power player
Bosh- not an all star
Rose-not an all star

PurpleNGold1

Previous

Return to Trade and Signing Ideas